Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Shear Modulus posted:

as a billionaire megadonor i assure you that my representatives are in close consultation with the people whose money they represent

They have in fact called just this morning to make sure how they were voting and what they should say, and ask when the next check is coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

retail companies do tons of poo poo that's illegal to their workers, they know most of their workers are too desperate for the paycheck to quit and too poor to hire a lawyer (and at the end of the day, you've sued your company for a payout thats usually like a quarter of your annual wages and companies can and will refuse to hire someone who sued their company)

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

Baloogan posted:

i would rather inspect sewers than be a disney princess

I worked as a party princess and i fully agree with this statement.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What did you need to do?

connect the red wire coming out of the water heater with the red wire on the dryer cable and samesies with the black wires, then fasten the ground

and then its just a plug so~~

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

I've considered and reconsidered writing about my current job/life situation like 4 times now because it fills me with that much anxiety so I'm going to forego that for the time being and instead I'll just say that one should never wait tables at Applebee's.

That's not my current job but I have done it and holy fuckin goddamn poo poo. Also don't work at Bennigan's you can't anymore they went out of business

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/926148901337468930

fake news wapo. sad

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

mormonpartyboat posted:

u should finish frog fractions 3

im literally stuck in it, lol, i feel like such a dumbass to be stuck in a joke game

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

there ain't no party like a pincess party cuz a princess party comes to a sudden crashing halt in a worldwide media furor

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

mormonpartyboat posted:

Requirements to be a "Disney Princess"

Each Official Disney Princess must meet the following requirements: A) has a primary role in a Disney animated feature film, B) is human or mostly human-like (e.g. Ariel), and C) does not appear primarily in a sequel. The actual title of Princess (or equivalent) is not necessary, but certainly helps.

Facts pertaining to the original fairy tales upon which the films are based are irrelevant to the versions appearing in the franchise.

The Princesses themselves, despite appearing in separate films, have distinct similarities. Most Princesses have the common ability to communicate with animals (even if the animals do not actually talk back). They are also known for their inner and outer beauty, as well as having beautiful singing voices (the exception to this is Merida, who only sings a song with her mother when she is little). Each Princess (excluding Merida and Elsa) also has a romance that is resolved by the end of the film; the male counterparts are known as Disney Princes.

The Princesses can also be grouped depending on what era their films debuted. The "original" three (Snow White, Cinderella and Aurora), are quiet, classy, graceful and romantic daydreamers; they play more of a "damsel in distress" role and suffer from the actions caused by others. They hold an inner strength through compassion, love, kindness and (particularly with Snow White) a strong sense of resilience.

During the Disney Renaissance Era, which started with The Little Mermaid in 1989 and ended in 2000, the heroines in Disney feature films became more active than reactive and included Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Pocahontas and Mulan. These women were strong-willed, adventurous, feisty, cunning and determined. They were less interested in finding love and more interested in finding adventure and freedom. The Renaissance Princesses also existed in worlds that were more self-aware of the changing roles of women. For example, in The Little Mermaid, the villainess Ursula assures Ariel that she won't need her voice on land as men prefer silent women; Belle, from Beauty and the Beast, is told by Gaston that "it's not right for a woman to read." And Mulan, who joins an army under the guise of a man, must listen to her peers extol masculine traits, while describing an ideal wife who is pretty, obedient and a good cook.

The latest Princesses were created within the past decade and are more modern. Tiana from The Princess and the Frog is a young woman who doesn't rely on magic and knows that it takes hard work to reach one's goals; Rapunzel from Tangled, however, is more idealistic and isn't afraid to go after what she wants.

Why Some Disney Females are not a "Disney Princess"

Some female protagonists, even those that hold the "princess" title, may not be included in the official line-up for the following reasons: they are not marketable, their film did poorly at the box office (e.g. Kida from Atlantis: The Lost Empire), they are too young (e.g. Sofia from Sofia the First.), or she is not human (e.g. Nala from The Lion King). Or in the case of Anna and Elsa their franchise is so successful that it's not necessary to add them to Disney Princess. Some have made theories and assumptions that the popularity and recognition that both Anna and Elsa have been constantly receiving, would overshadow the rest of the members of the franchise. None of the female protagonists from a Disney television series (e.g. Pepper Ann, Kim Possible, Star Butterfly from Star vs. the Forces of Evil, Mabel Pines and Wendy Corduroy from Gravity Falls, and Kendall Perkins from Kick Buttowski: Suburban Daredevil) are considered Disney Princesses.

i love my dead gay culture

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
destiny 2 is disappointing as hell. viedo games

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Naerasa posted:

Worst thing I dealt with in food service: teenagers coming in a group of a dozen+, all ordering frappuccinos, all drinking them, all demanding second fraps for free because we didn't make them right, all getting what they wanted because the customer is always right.

If you're wondering 'wow, 30 frappuccinos in like 10 minutes, what does that do to the rest of the queue?' Here's the answer: loving destroys it and creates 30 minute wait times for drinks that should usually take 2. We'd get calls from corporate every week because we weren't frapping fast enough, but if we turned the teenagers away, then they'd complain to the manager about how we made their drinks wrong and wouldn't make them over again.

No win.

lol

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Waffle House posted:

I will be your PS4 friend even if u do not want 2 play Density 2: The Mass x Velocity Ratio

let's do it pal

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

destiny 2 isn't a video game.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Princess Nala from the Lion King can't be a Disney princess because Africans are sub-human. Thanks for the clarification Walt Disney.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

triple sulk posted:

post ur fav disney princess

Miss Bianca

:minnie:

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
https://twitter.com/BillyCorben/status/926148240365453312

good thing he didnt inject that marijuana and hulk out like an antifa supersoldier

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Robert Plant posted:

I've considered and reconsidered writing about my current job/life situation like 4 times now because it fills me with that much anxiety so I'm going to forego that for the time being and instead I'll just say that one should never wait tables at Applebee's.

That's not my current job but I have done it and holy fuckin goddamn poo poo. Also don't work at Bennigan's you can't anymore they went out of business

There are one or two Bennigan's left, as some were (I think) franchised out and not owned by corporate. I actually don't reember how a couple escaped, but I know they did since I was going to one in Chicago as late as 2012.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Naerasa posted:

Aside from the threat of losing my job, which was extremely real and would have left me unable to make rent? It's depressing to see people treat their fellow man like crap. Sure, we see proof that humans are terrible every second of every day, but being treated like garbage on a regular basis really grinds your self esteem down. At a certain point, you get so low that you think the job is what you deserve, and the poor treatment is a daily reinforcement of your own failings. You say it like caring is a choice, but at a certain point, you can't ignore how terrible it makes you feel to be treated like you're worth less than the people on the other side of the counter. If you're able to ignore that for any extended length of time, then congratulations on achieving enlightment I guess, but for most people that stuff takes a slow but constant toll.

Automated restaurants will never happen because treating your server like poo poo and lording your influence over them is an integral part of the dining experience for a ridiculously high proportion of people.

A pricy restaurant here banned tipping and paid a set salary instead and customers went through the roof because their leverage to make the server jump through hoops was taken away.

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/cbsnews/status/926125508751953921

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Al! posted:

im literally stuck in it, lol, i feel like such a dumbass to be stuck in a joke game

i got stuck like four times lol it owns

i finally got someone to buy in to playing frog fractions 1 and they spent like 4 hours playing it and said it sucked and asked when the funny stuff started and turns out they never went below the water on the first screen and welp

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Naerasa posted:

Aside from the threat of losing my job, which was extremely real and would have left me unable to make rent? It's depressing to see people treat their fellow man like crap. Sure, we see proof that humans are terrible every second of every day, but being treated like garbage on a regular basis really grinds your self esteem down. At a certain point, you get so low that you think the job is what you deserve, and the poor treatment is a daily reinforcement of your own failings. You say it like caring is a choice, but at a certain point, you can't ignore how terrible it makes you feel to be treated like you're worth less than the people on the other side of the counter. If you're able to ignore that for any extended length of time, then congratulations on achieving enlightment I guess, but for most people that stuff takes a slow but constant toll.

i remember when i stopped working at the call center i just didnt go back

i didnt tell anyone or nothin i couldnt even deal with talkin to nobody from that place

i lasted 6 months and that was the top 20% of the people i started with :|

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Don't play Destiny 2 just play Super Mario Odyssey instead

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

Addamere posted:

Real question, this is not a fake post, I'm actually curious, because I have seen this and many other people and it to this day confounds me. Here's the question, why do you care? Yes, the thing that you are describing might result in a manager come in and yelling at you. So, what? Internally, or if you're brave externally, laugh at the idiot for yelling. And while it might also lead to you being fired, so might literally anything from the way you tie your shoes to the boss having a bad day because you are an at-will employee. I am not trying to undermine or play down the fact that this sucks terribly for the workers involved. That is not an issue. I agree 100% with that. My question is why do you bother to get righteous indignation about customers being pieces of ship? Why do you choose to care what the manager thinks about you? You are not paid enough to think or care. So why do so? There is no reason at all to become emotionally invested in a job that you completely understand to be not worth the pay and that you're doing just to do it for the money, there is no reason to give a drat about it Beyond making sure that you don't get fired. And that even does not require an emotional response in most times. And yet you and every other person who works in retail, that I've ever seen or heard or read share their retail stories, just so in such a way that clearly conveys offense or indignation or other forms of sincerely caring what some stupid customer or stupid manager thought or said or did. Why? Why add to the misery of the job?

this is an easy thing to do in theory.

it's hard to do when people are yelling at you and calling you incompetent, when you know you're not. People don't like to be yelled at. Being yelled at doesn't feel good, even, or ESPECIALLY, when you know you're in the right. Also the stress of constantly knowing you could lose your job for any reason and you have bills to pay/people to support is a very real pain.

Also if the store closes at 9 and this binch is still in the store at TEN PM while we ask her to leave and she says she doesn't HAVE to until she's done shopping cuz the customer is always right, i am going to be pissed. She is wasting my time, my feet hurt, I want to go home, I'm hungry, I'm tired, and she's being horribly mean and selfish to make an entire staff keep the store open cuz she's got nothing better to do but doesn't feel like going home.

It's like, "why get mad about people saying ignorant things on the internet? You know you can't do anything about it." Well duh but you still get mad, it's a natural reaction.

YOU A FUCKING HAT has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Nov 2, 2017

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
this is my favorite disney princess

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

jisforjosh posted:

its so loving good i just did the new donk city festival

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Automated restaurants will never happen because treating your server like poo poo and lording your influence over them is an integral part of the dining experience for a ridiculously high proportion of people.

A pricy restaurant here banned tipping and paid a set salary instead and customers went through the roof because their leverage to make the server jump through hoops was taken away.

I'm going to put twenty dollars on the edge of this thread, PFC. For every bad post you make, I'm taking one out. Think about that before you post again...

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Robert Plant posted:

serving tables at chain restaurants is the worst loving job that i've ever had, by far. i would never, under any circumstances, ever go back to doing that. serving tables at a nice restaurant is pretty fun, tho and walking out with cash every day is loving awesome.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

triple sulk posted:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
https://www.nahb.org/en/news-and-publications/press-releases/2017/11/republican-tax-reform-plan-slams-middle-class.aspx

National Association of Home Builders recognises this tax plan is an industry killer

quote:

Granger MacDonald, chairman of the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) and a home builder and developer from Kerrville, Texas, today issued the following statement on the tax plan unveiled by House Republicans:

“The House Republican tax reform plan abandons middle-class taxpayers in favor of high-income Americans and wealthy corporations. The bill eviscerates existing housing tax benefits by drastically reducing the number of home owners who can take advantage of mortgage interest and property tax incentives.

“And capping mortgage interest at $500,000 for new home purchases means that home buyers in expensive markets will effectively lose this housing tax benefit moving forward.

“The House leadership killed a cost-effective plan proposed by NAHB that Ways and Means Committee leaders agreed to include in the legislation. It would provide a robust homeownership tax credit that would have helped up to 37 million additional home owners who do not currently itemize. Most of them are low- and moderate-income home owners.

“Meanwhile, as corporations receive a major tax cut, small businesses, which generate the lion’s share of job growth, get limited relief.

“The bottom line: Congress is ignoring the needs of America’s working-class families and small businesses.

“And by undermining the nation’s longstanding support for homeownership and threatening to lower the value of the largest asset held by most American families, this tax reform plan will put millions of home owners at risk.”

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

juche avocado posted:

oh my god murder all straight men

yeah the main Bungie Community Manager doesn't realize he's owning himself hard and the assistant one has to try and dial everyone back because he realizes what's going on, it's legendarily mad ownage.

also we whipped their asses in the match

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

5 levels beyond galactic brain here

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

That DICK! posted:

let's do it pal

*adds u*

jisforjosh posted:

Nintendo, as always, best console

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

mormonpartyboat posted:

connect the red wire coming out of the water heater with the red wire on the dryer cable and samesies with the black wires, then fasten the ground

and then its just a plug so~~

Don't burn your poo poo down! Has it ever tripped? Do you have access to the panel? Ayiyi

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

triple sulk posted:

I referred this question to an expert and I'm told that my favorite is Moana.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

the other half swear up and down that video taping someone pissing aint a crime

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

ur in my world now posted:

destiny 2 is disappointing as hell. viedo games

It's a master's course in how to completely fail to realize an IP's potential

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

oh god, Sunday morning church crowd PTSD setting in

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/TheAnonJournal/status/926149872952233985

DEATH PENALTY

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/926140698952392704

:rip: turdfuzz, we hardly knew you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YOU A loving HAT posted:

because they get old and infirm and can't work
valid

YOU A loving HAT posted:

or they want to travel the world and see the things they've always wanted to see but never had time
how about instead make time while you are young enough to actually enjoy it by going on alcohol/drug/sex benders or whatever else floats your boat instead of being a blue haired obnoxious tourist in line to snap a photo of a statue like what even is the point of traveling when you are old and infirm and no longer doing productive things with your life its not like seeing the parthenon is going to inspire you to write the next great novel because you already wrote off doing anything else productive with your life when you mentally decided you are retired and done with that sort of things

YOU A loving HAT posted:

but mostly yeah, the whole getting too old to work and not wanting to drag your gramma rear end out of bed at 6:30 in the morning and stand on your feet at a retail job, like the old women I've worked with at every retail gig ever who couldn't afford to retire
as above, valid

YOU A loving HAT posted:

just lol at "why would anyone wanna stop being a secretary and instead have loads of free time to devote to personal hobbies and enjoying time with the family"
current generation is increasingly not marrying and not having kids so what family

• Locked thread