Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Haha I like the strategy just turned out to be "everyone pull tight except the person walking" and it worked.

Yeah red was doing it prior to their drop but mastered it on the second round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like Ali and JP a lot more than those two dorks so I'm sad one will go home.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I hope the merge is at least another week away and these nerds get demolished

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LOL my 75 year old dad has been calling Ryan a weasel all episode and then he says it himself.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Man, Ryan is a little poo poo

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

once again: gently caress the editors for not showing poo poo about why that decision was made

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

booooo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Jeff's "good luck" loving lol

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Man this season has been so dull.

Preview: Am I the only one who feels like its early for a merge? I guess its because as I said the season has been so dull that it feels as though nothing has actually happened so far.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

DurosKlav posted:

Preview: Am I the only one who feels like its early for a merge? I guess its because as I said the season has been so dull that it feels as though nothing has actually happened so far.

Preview: There's 12 people left so that usually means 9 jurors and 3 finalists. Just feels quick because we started with 18 and not 20 like the past couple seasons

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I, for one, cannot wait to hear JP's jury speech.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

blue squares posted:

once again: gently caress the editors for not showing poo poo about why that decision was made

JP's stronger, but Ali's much, much smarter.

I mean, good for them for voting her out, but also, gently caress them for voting her out, because

Spergatory posted:

I, for one, cannot wait to hear JP's jury speech.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Ryan doing that to Ali was so unnecessary lol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

curiousCat posted:

Ryan doing that to Ali was so unnecessary lol

Yeah, maybe. We obviously don't see everything, but also there is something to be said for everyone feeling certain and so not scrambling.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Man, I got played. Completely thought JP was going all episode.

Fuckkkk the dregs of that tribe.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ryan suuuuuuuuuuuuucks

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

If you're going to burn somebody it's best to get them out of the game ASAP. Maybe Ryan can get it together now that he's clear of this bizarre string of votes.

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

If you're going to burn somebody it's best to get them out of the game ASAP. Maybe Ryan can get it together now that he's clear of this bizarre string of votes.

Yeah, Ali seems like a muuuuch more dangerous enemy and the alphas almost always get targeted early merge anyway.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wow, I was not expecting Ryan to take the commanding lead in the Poison category.

So, who do I root for now? I guess there's some good options left - basically everyone except Cole and Ryan. I don't really like Chrissy but I'll stomach her win over Ryan.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Look, Cole might not be great at Survivor but at least he's easy on the eyes. Ryan looks like a meerkat possessed by Satan.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm so sad, I really liked Ali! I think this week's decision makes enough sense from Ryan and Chrissy, it's just that Ryan's decision from last episode to wall Ali out wasn't adequately explained then.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
To be fair, Ryan is playing a very Todd-like game. Todd was just better received because he was against a bunch of unlikable/dumb players like Jean-Robert. Even him voting out the charismatic James wasn't that bad because James took it very well.

So far, Ryan just ousted two fan favourites in Roark and Ali. I'm pretty sure Ali will return to play at some point (Survivor's kind of hard up on female players like her), but I can see how Ryan might be getting a bad rep right now. If he's responsible for say, a Joe ouster, people might start coming round on him.

I'm still not a fan, but I'm ready to change my opinion.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Since when was Roark a fan favourite? She was invisible the entire season until she got the boot.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
She was popular among people who paid attention to pre-game stuff.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sad to see Ali go, but it was the right move. And if you're gonna burn someone that bad, burn someone pre-jury who doesn't have anyone still around to take it out on you.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Pre-game stuff?

I think Ryan made the right move, even if he kept Ali around it's not like she'd forget what he did before. This seasons not really drawing me in so far.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Bloop posted:

Same but also lol @ "oh it's 4 feet away and I was looking 5 feet away"

This guy is like the smartest idiot
Seriously.

blue squares posted:

I wanted her to stay but tbh Ali was the way more sensible boot in that spot. The editors fooled me this time since I thought JP getting some focus meant it was his goodbye episode. But basically, he's completely unthreatening and who cares if he's good at challenges, he'll never win them all and probably wouldn't win even if he did. Ali is the one that could orchestrate something against Ryan and Chrissy at some point whereas JP is basically just a free vote for them.

All the confessionals where they talked about JP having to go I was thinking to myself how dumb they were, so it makes sense it wasn't actually happening. I did catch Ryan throwing in a "maybe" or a "perhaps" or something before his "JP has got to go." He may have just been giving those confessionals because production asked him "what are the reasons to vote JP out here" and he's very obliging, winning himself extra airtime in the process.

This does transfer power away from Ryan and toward Chrissy, but that was already happening after he burned Ali like a dumbass. I feel doubly bad for Ali because it was Ryan's own wrongheaded weaselbrains that turned her into a mess he needed to clean up, but them's the breaks I guess. She could have handled that way better back at camp after the vote, even though she was totally in the right.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CODChimera posted:

Pre-game stuff?

I think Ryan made the right move, even if he kept Ali around it's not like she'd forget what he did before. This seasons not really drawing me in so far.

She's the kind of quirky superfan that doesn't immediately scream Max-levels of supernerd.

I mean here's the kind of gold she had in pre-game:

quote:

What's your reason for being on Survivor?
Clearly there is something wrong with me.

Plus in the 'what Survivor are you most like?' question she went with Sophie and Courtney over the usual boring answers of Parvati/Russell/Boston Rob.

And yeah, Ali was too much of a threat not to cut out over JP, I guess we were all just hoping she'd survive at least til next episode.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 2, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

If Ryan still liked Ali and if talking to JP is similar enough to talking to a slab of granite, I can see it being pretty tempting to keep Ali even if it's more dangerous. As viewers that brick wall quality makes JP look completely harmless, but as players, not getting anything back from a guy when you broach game talk also might make it hard to put too much faith in him. So I believe it might have been a difficult decision but in the end Chrissy probably made the call to keep JP. When you see a scene like Ryan telling Chrissy to go talk to Ali, I think you can sort of interpret that as him trying to give Ali a shot to win Chrissy over? Just guessing though

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 2, 2017

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I hope Ryan dies in a fire, and I hope to see Ali come back for a season of vets, because she ruled.

But seriously, gently caress Ryan. And also Chrissy, I guess. But mostly Ryan.

"She's freaking out about the vote, and it's a bad look for her."

No it isn't, you jackass, You just nixed an excellent ally. She could have won you the game. Instead, you're going to prattle around with your MILF and lose mid-merge. Congratu-loving-lations.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Propaganda Machine posted:

I hope Ryan dies in a fire, and I hope to see Ali come back for a season of vets, because she ruled.

But seriously, gently caress Ryan. And also Chrissy, I guess. But mostly Ryan.

"She's freaking out about the vote, and it's a bad look for her."

No it isn't, you jackass, You just nixed an excellent ally. She could have won you the game. Instead, you're going to prattle around with your MILF and lose mid-merge. Congratu-loving-lations.

This. This. This.

There will always be the counterpoint of "it's just a game" when people do dirty moves, and that's valid, but Ali was solidly on his side until the Roark vote so he's just squandered something that could have carried him well into the merge.

And to think a few weeks ago he had a confessional about how his social game is all he has...

And maybe this reaction is caused by the fact that I absolutely hate Chrissy's personality and hope this all blows up massively in her and Ryan's face, resulting in Ben's blue eyes winning it all. Wishful thinking. This season has broken my heart

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lone Goat posted:

Preview: There's 12 people left so that usually means 9 jurors and 3 finalists. Just feels quick because we started with 18 and not 20 like the past couple seasons

It's also special this season because it's merging from 3 tribes, they didn't have a swap to 2 tribes

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

AWarmBody posted:

And maybe this reaction is caused by the fact that I absolutely hate Chrissy's personality and hope this all blows up massively in her and Ryan's face, resulting in Ben's blue eyes winning it all. Wishful thinking. This season has broken my heart

emoji-prayer hands

They're just so loving obnoxious. They're decent Survivors on paper and in theory, but gently caress. I'm the obnoxious Russell hater, and I would prefer his stuck-up smug attitude to those two.

Thankfully, I think lol merge will correct the boat. I am actually excited for this.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I might be the only anti-Ryan/pro-Chrissy person watching this show, but I was really excited by Alli offering Chrissy a lifeline out of her partnership with Ryan. Probably not worth holding out hope she might eventually flip on him at this point.

Editors are getting better with their red herrings this season, IMO. Usually the overconfident J.P. confessional would be right after the IC and mark him for death, but instead it was after the RC and he ended up being misdirection

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I’m also anti-Ryan, pro-Chrissy.

I want Ryan to lose in the most embarrassing way possible.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

xbilkis posted:

Editors are getting better with their red herrings this season, IMO. Usually the overconfident J.P. confessional would be right after the IC and mark him for death, but instead it was after the RC and he ended up being misdirection

Misdirection is one thing but often they only sell the story that doesn't happen and leave all the real game discussion out

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I hated Ryan for dissing JP about not knowing how "Survivor is a social game" when he had, not five minutes earlier, made an extremely bad decision that blew up his solid relationship with an ally for inexplicable reasons.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've obviously never been a Ryan fan but I was still kind of fence until that "That's not a good look for her" thing.

I totally agree with everyone that they made the smart strategic move. Ali's a bigger threat than JP because he ain't gonna win every Immunity challenge and they basically spent an episode saying "he's a nice enough guy but he has no strategic game." And for Ryan he burned Ali bad enough that it makes sense to want her gone pre merge/jury. But much like last week its HOW he and Chrissy handled things that leaves such a bad taste in my mouth. They're snakes and they seem to really get a kick out of "the game" and all the backstabby and scheming involved. Which is totally fine and its "just a game", but when you lose yourself in it you tend to get dirty. That's two weeks in a row Ryan and Chrissy have successfully controlled the vote but also got bloody in doing so. I think they're effective at it and could go far, but if that pattern keeps up its going to be ugly and could eventually bit them.

But I guess at least Ryan seems to recognize he's a weasel.

I haven't hated the season and I think there's been a fair amount of gameplay and characters. But it does feel like Ryan and Chrissy are shaping up to the stars of this season and they're just not an enjoyable pair for me.

JP's post merge situation is kind of interesting, really. He's got his Barbie who seems close with Devon. Devon was with Ryan but he seems smart enough to not necessarily just go back there. Then there's Ben still in the Hero mix for JP who seems to be getting close with Mike and Lauren who didn't seem especially secure in their tribes. The post merge picture seems very wide open.

Gluten Freeman posted:

I hated Ryan for dissing JP about not knowing how "Survivor is a social game" when he had, not five minutes earlier, made an extremely bad decision that blew up his solid relationship with an ally for inexplicable reasons.

Ryan seems to be of the school that "social game" means "working" with everyone and saying "yes" to everyone but that kind of just sets you up for the situation he was in with Ali. JP may not have any real strategy but he actually seems like a perfectly pleasant and liked guy. Like, him telling them how he likes to take a girl on a bonfire date may not have been exciting but it was perfectly pleasant and then Ryan's all "bang them in the back of a truck, right? hehehe". At some point JP might just be the guy people like and trust while Ryan is... a weasel.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 3, 2017

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The best part was when JP was describing his perfect date, bonfire on the beach look at stars etc.

Ryan scoffed and JP gave him the perfect "and that's why you're a virgin" look

I fuckin' died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I know, right?

Like social game is really just about getting people to like you, which is what JP's doing (or attempting, since he also seems very reserved). What Ryan's playing is a strategic game. But then words in Survivor end up meaningless, like blindside now just meaning to vote someone out.

• Locked thread