Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
excuse me, i watched mr. happy's video about how to do the final phase of cape westwind, and furthermore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I still can’t get over the fact that the very first time I did cape westwind, I DF’d with a group of almost entirely new people, and we wiped 5 times before we cleared it. This was in 2.5 so it had been piss easy for a while

Was that trial even hard at launch or was my group just hilariously bad?

KoB
May 1, 2009
I like to tell sprouts in Westwind that its super hard and hype it up.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ainsley McTree posted:

I still can’t get over the fact that the very first time I did cape westwind, I DF’d with a group of almost entirely new people, and we wiped 5 times before we cleared it. This was in 2.5 so it had been piss easy for a while

Hilaribad.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Mr happy is to blame for everyone thinking bone dragon is supposed to be tanked north, right?
That's just a goon myth. In his video, the bone dragon was tanked in the center. It's Mizzteq that said to pull him to the edge.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

Westwind was never hard. He does have a non-standard AoE as his ult (warns you in text to back away, by the time the AoE marker is visible it's too late to dodge) but that should kill you maybe one time as a newbie. And only if you go in with i50 gear, it's survivable with i90 that they got from job quests.

In other words I can't envision how your party managed to gently caress it up that bad.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

AngusPodgorny posted:

That's just a goon myth. In his video, the bone dragon was tanked in the center. It's Mizzteq that said to pull him to the edge.

What?? This is a slap in the face

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thundarr posted:

Westwind was never hard. He does have a non-standard AoE as his ult (warns you in text to back away, by the time the AoE marker is visible it's too late to dodge) but that should kill you maybe one time as a newbie. And only if you go in with i50 gear, it's survivable with i90 that they got from job quests.

In other words I can't envision how your party managed to gently caress it up that bad.

IIRC we kept dying to the missiles; I think the group, collectively, refused to learn how to dodge them, and either people were low geared, or the healers were too poo poo/dead to keep health up.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Westwind has mechanics?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've literally never seen Westwood last long enough to even see what its mechanics are.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Every time I’ve done it since, it’s been the snoozefest it’s supposed to be; I think he always goes down before he can even fire off the missiles, even with some people breaking off to fight adds (which is also not necessary). I’m flummoxed as to how that one went so badly and can’t get over how funny it is that it should be my first experience with it

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
If I MT Bone Dragon, I sometimes tank it to the east or west or in a utterly random part of the map just to revel in the guaranteed panic in chat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you're all level 49 it can be a challenge but that's it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I hope they make a Westwind (Extreme) that has the exact same layout so sometimes you just get owned

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Back when it was relevant content, it was easy but adds had to be picked up and attacks had to be avoided and healed. That's about it.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KoB posted:

From hearing goons hype it up, I earnestly believed that Westwind was some super hard wipe-heavy trial that would separate the wheat from the chaff.

Then I actually did it and laughed my rear end off when he fell over in seconds. In all the times I've got it on Trial roulette, I think I've seen missiles start to go out all of once.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
The only real thing in westwind with a full level 49 group in nq questing gear had to worry about was the Magitek missles at like 50% and 25% which was just "Hey he did the missile emote, go move like 40 yards away"

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

KoB posted:

Every time Westwind has popped up I've seen someone do that too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I like to do it with Lahabrea instead.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

One of these days there will be a Garlean Tribuni Extreme and Rhitayn will get his revenge on everybody who mocked his trial.

They added something like that for the FFXII remake, right?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I like to do it with Lahabrea instead.

I saw in a mr happy video that you need to fight him naked

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Garleans (Ultimate) would actually be pretty sick, though maybe it'd have to play out a bit too close to Thordan

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lets see we have cape westwind dude, livia, gaius, zenos, regulas, and i guess mad scientist to include in the gauntlet so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd love to see mad scientist rear end in a top hat's soul extraction gimmick in a situation where it might be a threat instead of a mild waste of time.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Hit 60 on my DRK and finished the job quests. The goddamn instant those moogles showed up talking about kidnapping Rielle I knew they were just loving with Sigurdu. Which is hilarious because he's basically going all grim dark batman and poo poo against these fuzzy white assholes. Kind of liked the whole flame in the abyss thing as well, since you know if you're motivated solely by vengeance you're just some rear end in a top hat with a deathwish

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I'd love to see mad scientist rear end in a top hat's soul extraction gimmick in a situation where it might be a threat instead of a mild waste of time.

You could probably do some stuff where he's phasing some of his allies into the spirit world or something and you need to also cross over to stop them using a one shot, or you have to get caught in it to avoid them too. There'd be a lot to play with by crossing gimmicks these dudes have up, basically.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You could probably do some stuff where he's phasing some of his allies into the spirit world or something and you need to also cross over to stop them using a one shot, or you have to get caught in it to avoid them too. There'd be a lot to play with by crossing gimmicks these dudes have up, basically.

A double dps/mechanics check where you get soul extracted and have to quickly do X to escape so you can beat up Rhitayn before he missiles your unconscious bodies.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
The new WoW raid has a mechanic that's basically soul extraction, but after everyone gets their soul extracted the first time, your soul gets separated from your body every time you die, and also there are buff orbs you can only collect when your soul is separate from its body.

The same boss also has a big goofy full-skybox cinematic ultimate attack. Seems only fair that FFXIV steal the idea right back.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

ImpAtom posted:

It just occured to me that given the obsession that both that boss and the mysterious Magitek Researcher in Castrum Abania have with THIS DATA THEY'RE COLLECTING, and the fact that the Garleans are obviously into making clones, there's about a 99% chance that our Evil Magitek Hypertuned Clone is going to show up at some point.

edit: post is not preview

ShowTime posted:

I'll PM you to talk about some of the details of your group, like what day/time, etc.

Posted this a couple of pages ago, but if you're still interested, shoot me a message on Discord (Estelle Auberlaint, Smug Elezen#4324) because I don't have PM's.

Also, I hit 70 BTN and I'm going to chop the entire Twelveswood down. gently caress the police Elementals.

1200 Perception (and 5000 Red Scrip) to hit the nodes that are actually worth hitting, jesus christ i'm not made of gil

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 2, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bolow posted:

Hit 60 on my DRK and finished the job quests. The goddamn instant those moogles showed up talking about kidnapping Rielle I knew they were just loving with Sigurdu. Which is hilarious because he's basically going all grim dark batman and poo poo against these fuzzy white assholes. Kind of liked the whole flame in the abyss thing as well, since you know if you're motivated solely by vengeance you're just some rear end in a top hat with a deathwish

Report back when you do the 65 quest.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Also remember the crystal tower was full of clones so it's not out of left field for allagahn tekknology

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you ever have to fight your evil clone I hope there's a special dialogue option if you've done the DRK questline.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sade posted:

The new WoW raid has a mechanic that's basically soul extraction, but after everyone gets their soul extracted the first time, your soul gets separated from your body every time you die, and also there are buff orbs you can only collect when your soul is separate from its body.

The same boss also has a big goofy full-skybox cinematic ultimate attack. Seems only fair that FFXIV steal the idea right back.

I remember reading that one wow dev's review of thordan EX and him commenting that big cinematic ultimate attacks is one element of FF that WoW can and should copy, so I guess they've gotten to that by now

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I suspect we'll start to see some player base whiplash if the ultimate fight keeps going longer.

Like people were afraid of players getting mad at discovering they weren't good enough to clear half way through Nael and nobody had pity for those people, but what do you say to people who have dumped 80 hours now and can't get through the harder stages of Bahamut despite the time being thrown at it? I think that's probably a much worse time to realize you or your static might not be good enough!

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Rascyc posted:

I suspect we'll start to see some player base whiplash if the ultimate fight keeps going longer.

Like people were afraid of players getting mad at discovering they weren't good enough to clear half way through Nael and nobody had pity for those people, but what do you say to people who have dumped 80 hours now and can't get through the harder stages of Bahamut despite the time being thrown at it? I think that's probably a much worse time to realize you or your static might not be good enough!

There will be a chunk of the playerbase constantly dissatisfied with any and every piece of content, whether or not they're actually playing it or not. It's even probably the same people mad at savage being too easy and ultimate being too hard! Some people are just pissbabies.

I would advise, though, not calling anything off with your static re Ultimate this early; you still have over 2 months of work left. If you don't feel like it's fun, then don't play it, but also don't underestimate yourself based on slow progression. I know some really bad players that still ended up clearing A4 and A8 just because they spent enough time to not gently caress up everything TOO badly.

If you weren't playing/raiding during Gordias or Midas, this kind of commitment might seem weird but not totally without precedent for 14, now it's just marked and offloaded onto its own particular special thing instead of just a part of savage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

An important thing to remember about Ultimate is, that like a lot of content, the people doing it now are also at close to the lowest possible gear level for it. It's probably discouraging to some people but I think the fact that better gear + eventually unsync exist mean that a lot of people are just willing to be patient until they can eventually (relatively) EZ mode it. There's a big upswing in people doing the Warring Triad for example.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ultimate Coil is purely for bragging rights, so anyone who complains about it being too hard is an idiot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Ultimate Coil is purely for bragging rights, so anyone who complains about it being too hard is an idiot.

Well, to be fair, there ARE weapons hidden behind it, aren't there? It's basically the same "for the glaaaaams" argument as any other cosmetic stuff. Still not very important though

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ANGERED_FFXIV/status/926229962687950849

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
yoshi-p 1, neets 0