Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There were plenty of better powers in Worm. It only seems so good because she's the protagonist and Wildbow is a pretty creative writer. Imagine someone with half the writing skill trying to balance controlling bugs with any of the more broadly applicable superpowers like superspeed or invulnerability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

There were plenty of better powers in Worm. It only seems so good because she's the protagonist and Wildbow is a pretty creative writer. Imagine someone with half the writing skill trying to balance controlling bugs with any of the more broadly applicable superpowers like superspeed or invulnerability.

Depends on whether you count her ability to coordinate the people around her for them to realize more of their potential as part of her power. I think the thinker element is legitimate and even called out a bit in her goodbye before she turns herself in. I think if she had triggered with a different or shittier power but still had that thinker aspect she'd still have done pretty well. Though one wonders how a less effective channel for her to funnel her emotions (compartmentalization is one of her bigger character flaws) would have affected her story.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Milky Moor posted:

Not that it really matters because for all of Taylor supposedly only being effective with prep time, she's remarkably good at improvising her way around all manner of problems anyway.

yeah it's amazing what you can do when you have plot armour [still irritated about her beating dragon, that should not have happened].

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Neurosis posted:

yeah it's amazing what you can do when you have plot armour [still irritated about her beating dragon, that should not have happened].

You have to remember Taylor had more then just bug control from her powers. Her clashes with Dragon worked in her favor sometimes because Dragon herself had hard limits Taylor kept exploiting (even unknowingly/subconsciously).

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Is there a latest-chapter link on the site? I’m so used to just being able to scroll down on most other sites.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

berenzen posted:

My guess? Vista. Young, at the end of the world, part of the wards, powerful powers.

Name doesn't match but that was my first guess too

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

blastron posted:

Is there a latest-chapter link on the site? I’m so used to just being able to scroll down on most other sites.

Not for the prologue stuff

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Name doesn't match but that was my first guess too

Yeah sorry it isn't Vista. Pretty sure it's someone we dont know from the Baltimore Wards.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I have to think that the name initials are all false because Mangled Wings is talking more and more like Rachel. The username was probably given by Heart, whoever she is.

These prologue chapters create like a dozen times as many questions as they do answers. :argh:

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I'm willing to put money on Mangled Wings being a Damsel of Distress. Her arms and fingers were modified by bonesaw to be extra long, like a bat's wing with no skin. She consider's herself damaged, fallen from where she once was. She has a hard time with computers/technology, etc. Plus Damsels real name was Ashley I think and they refer to her as A.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Taylor didn't go into a fight with Lung unprepared and nearly kill him. Taylor prepared for at least a month or two before going out for the first time, ambushed Lung, and still she would have been killed if the Undersiders hadn't intervened.

Anyway, I wouldn't contest that Taylor has a strong power. Batman also has a strong suite of powers: unlimited wealth, versatile super-technology, peak human or beyond peak human mental and physical abilities. By underpowered, I mean constantly paling in comparison to other character's powers and not prone to solving problems via brute force application. Superman bursts through a wall at superspeed and and downs the crooks. Batman sets an explosive trap and then lure the thugs to crooks to the place where the blown up wall will take them down. Either way, the wall is broken and the crooks beaten. Batman just has to take a more circuitous route, and that's fun when it's written well. Wildbow is good at writing that type of stuff well.

I'm not trying to make you like Taylor. I understand why you don't. I don't think it's too tough to understand why some people do, though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pussy Quipped posted:

I'm willing to put money on Mangled Wings being a Damsel of Distress. Her arms and fingers were modified by bonesaw to be extra long, like a bat's wing with no skin. She consider's herself damaged, fallen from where she once was. She has a hard time with computers/technology, etc. Plus Damsels real name was Ashley I think and they refer to her as A.

That actually makes a lot more sense.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Mother of Learning updated a couple days ago.

I'm curious where it's going. It's gotten more meandery than ever now that we know there is a clock.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

New one up and we have a confirmed old character showing up!! It’s Sveta/Garrote! I’m pretty happy about it because I always liked them!

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Good grief, I'd forgotten how much of a poo poo most of the Irregulars (ie: almost all but Weld and Garotte) were.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just realized that this time next week we'll be reading Worm 2

It's really happening guys

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I just realized that this time next week we'll be reading Worm 2

It's really happening guys

I mean, if I don't gently caress up the server, yeah. Otherwise you'll be yelling at me.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
I'm wondering if Heart_Shaped_Pupil is one of Teachers pets... "Pupil" after all.

Alternatively, the bat-poo poo-crazier theory I have comes from this...
So far he's had bits about how people who share powers often either fall in love or else try to kill one-another, and people seem to be tracking Tattletale; then there's this: Note the bolded section.

Worm FAQ posted:

Q4: What’s the Missing Interlude? What happened?

A4: It’s an interlude I tried to write while badly distracted, after long & busy weeks filled with family events. A crew of 6-10 people were tearing up/replacing my kitchen & bedroom floors; there was no place to write where I’d be close enough to answer questions but far enough away to have some peace. On the best of days, it’s hard to be objective enough to judge if a chapter will be loved or loathed. I’ve braced myself for hate while waiting for a response to some chapters, only to find them my best-received. To top it off, on any day I’m tired, there’s inevitably little details I’m forced to gloss over in the process of getting a chapter up. Research I don’t do, or places where I expect readers to fill in the blanks.

This interlude, taking place after the Echidna arc, featured a Tattletale clone who’d slipped through the cracks, crossed paths with a buried Shatterbird and Vista, only to escape and join Weld’s new team. I got past the point of no return as far as writing it, I wound up putting it up despite my doubts and braced myself for the response to one or two of those points where I didn’t quite cover all the bases. Except there were more than a few of those iffy moments. The reader response only helped me realize that I wasn’t happy with it, and I ultimately took it down. The problems:

The origin of the character was poorly done. It made sense in-setting, but to readers, it took place over two offscreen moments.
The introduction of the character was unnecessary. It didn’t serve the story.
The tone of the story suffered for her introduction. Basically a gut punch at a time when things should have been letting up/winding down.
The character wasn’t in line with the setting as laid out. Her behavior as compared to other clones was patient.
The scenario the character was worked into was both forced and unbelievable:her joining the Irregulars, them not questioning the introduction of an amnesiac after anti-Stranger measures were established midway through arc 18, her being immediately given a management position.
It didn’t make sense. It’s no longer canon, but I expect the story will continue to hint that the events besides the introduction of this ill-conceived villain were more or less accurate.

There’s only been one similar incident since I began Worm: one chapter (7.9) was a little too frantic and description heavy. I pulled an all-nighter to rewrite it before the remainder of my readers woke up in the morning and saw it, joking that it was canon. (See 8.8 for why)

That seems like a lot of page space and thought devoted to something that's ultimately gone forever.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Reaching the end of Part 1, so, two chapters went up today (one was basically a bonus).

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

So that was an interesting conclusion to the Prelude to Worm 2.

Wonder when the full story of Gold Morning will come out in Worm 2, because that'll be an interesting thing to see.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
So, is chapter 1 going up Tuesday? Or is he doing a Saturday/Monday surprise, do you think?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
11:58 tonight

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

wildbow posted:

Worm 2 chapter 1 goes live on Saturday. It’ll go up just as a post with a link to the new site (P.10) that I’ll later delete (and just have this ‘next chapter’ link go to the site in question), so anyone who’s notified when posts go live will know.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I'm literally the one pushing the button.

EDIT: Oops. 11:58 Eastern. Almost made y'all wait another three hours. Forty-five minutes out!

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 11, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I'm literally the one pushing the button.

Slap that button you son of a bitch

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
1158 and thirty seconds im coming to saw your head off with a rusty knife I'd it's not up

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
WE KNOW THE TITLE AND IT IS PERFECT

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Just wait til you read the chapter

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Published. https://www.parahumans.net/2017/09/11/daybreak-1-1/

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

...whaaaaat

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I assumed it would be Glow.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

ffffffffffffffff

We need a whole bunch of emotes, also a new OP entry that I'll totally get around to writing eventually.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Silver2195 posted:

I assumed it would be Glow.

Wb confirmed it wasn't that but it makes a lot of sense given who the new POV character is! gently caress! Holy poo poo!

Also there's a paragraph slash sentence that kinda just ends mid sentence in there who do I tell to fix it if I'm not going on Reddit

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

For those of you who haven't entirely caught up yet, 0.9 was loving wonderful.

I wish I knew who Point_Me_@_The_Sky is, because that would probably make it so much better.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Wb confirmed it wasn't that but it makes a lot of sense given who the new POV character is! gently caress! Holy poo poo!

Also there's a paragraph slash sentence that kinda just ends mid sentence in there who do I tell to fix it if I'm not going on Reddit

I'm pretty sure people just point that out in the comments of the part in question.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Shortest Path posted:

For those of you who haven't entirely caught up yet, 0.9 was loving wonderful.

I wish I knew who Point_Me_@_The_Sky is, because that would probably make it so much better.

You know if you read the new chapter of Ward! It's not stated outright but you can connect dots! I'm so excited Jesus Christ!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Posting for posterity right before I jump into chapter 1 that I'm almost positive Point Me is Laserdream because I have no better guesses, so I'll get to see if I'm right or not.

Edit: :shepface:

I'm so fuckin hype jesus christ

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 11, 2017

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Not that I’m ready with it (finally got an editor, thank Christ) but what’s the S.O.P. on self promotion in this thread?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

Not that I’m ready with it (finally got an editor, thank Christ) but what’s the S.O.P. on self promotion in this thread?

I've been doing it occasionally and no one's said to stop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Wasn't Glory Girl some sort of human blob shaped monstrosity?