Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Penpal posted:

That's why films should have all magical powers imbued within something, that way there's no question. You caught the magic softball? Now you have powers. You drank the magic gin and tonic? Powers. Caught the magic fish? Powers. Opened the magic book? Powers. Austin? Powers.

But you can't have them all because it goes against the Kanye Rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Pretty sure Dodonna or whatever his name is says "May the force be with you" as they are on their way to attack the Death Star.

Well poo poo, looks like I was wrong. That might explain why I've never seen my specific complaint anywhere.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Nobody comments on Thor's new ally in Ragnarok being a literal, honest to god slaver. She profits from the death and misery of people either kidnapped or stolen away from their homes.

At least Loki has a half-arsed "well we can't trust him" moment (even if the fanbase and producers do seem intent on redeeming that dickhead...), but man that really leapt out at me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Stranger Things 2: What happened to the turtle?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Stranger Things 2: What happened to the turtle?

#justiceforturtle

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

poptart_fairy posted:

Nobody comments on Thor's new ally in Ragnarok being a literal, honest to god slaver. She profits from the death and misery of people either kidnapped or stolen away from their homes.

At least Loki has a half-arsed "well we can't trust him" moment (even if the fanbase and producers do seem intent on redeeming that dickhead...), but man that really leapt out at me.

He has a slave ally, too. Who, to be honest, gets just as much characterization as the Valkyrie. He also overthrows Goldblum's entire slaving regime, so it's not like Thor is asking a slaver's help to get more slaves or something.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Han tell Luke, "May the Force be with you," right before Luke goes off to blow up the Death Star in A New Hope.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Something from Life.

Yes, I know if you allow an alien organism onto Earth there's a chance it carries a disease or something that will gently caress your poo poo up. But the part where the female scientist sends her warning message about how this thing is a threat to ALL HUMAN LIFE and must be destroyed AT ALL COSTS just seemed way out of proportion.

I mean, it's a dog sized alien that's strong enough to squish you with its tentacles. Which, by the way, would not enable it to move very well under normal gravity. We know it's at least mildly flame-retardant because that's literally all they tried to kill it with, but you'd basically have gotten the same result if you released a raging panther on their space station and you wouldn't call the panther a threat to all human existence.

Like, why are they so convinced the alien will destroy Earth and won't just be killed by the first human with a gun it encounters? It has shown nothing to suggest it's particularly dangerous to anything but unarmed idiots in the same room.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

jabby posted:

Something from Life.

Yes, I know if you allow an alien organism onto Earth there's a chance it carries a disease or something that will gently caress your poo poo up. But the part where the female scientist sends her warning message about how this thing is a threat to ALL HUMAN LIFE and must be destroyed AT ALL COSTS just seemed way out of proportion.

I mean, it's a dog sized alien that's strong enough to squish you with its tentacles. Which, by the way, would not enable it to move very well under normal gravity. We know it's at least mildly flame-retardant because that's literally all they tried to kill it with, but you'd basically have gotten the same result if you released a raging panther on their space station and you wouldn't call the panther a threat to all human existence.

Like, why are they so convinced the alien will destroy Earth and won't just be killed by the first human with a gun it encounters? It has shown nothing to suggest it's particularly dangerous to anything but unarmed idiots in the same room.

Calvin was from a Mars rock, right? I think the implication is that it wiped out all life on Mars millions of years ago and then went into some sort of hibernation state.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Armacham posted:

Calvin was from a Mars rock, right? I think the implication is that it wiped out all life on Mars millions of years ago and then went into some sort of hibernation state.

Maybe Mars was full of wusses.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Life. Don't talk to me about Life.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Imagined posted:

Life. Don't talk to me about Life.

<3

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Armacham posted:

If it was they didn't imply it very hard. They never mention any other life on Mars, just that Calvin hibernates when environmental conditions aren't right.

And even if Calvin's species did wipe out all the life, that doesn't mean a single creature could do the same. It's a pretty big jump to even assume it can reproduce on it's own.

Basically it felt like they were going for an 'Alien' vibe but the Alien wasn't nearly as threatening. No implication that it was the perfect biological weapon, no acidic blood, no proven method of reproduction. Just doesn't scream 'the planet is in danger'.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I thought it basically eats any carbon-molecules? ie life on earth?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Han tell Luke, "May the Force be with you," right before Luke goes off to blow up the Death Star in A New Hope.

Yeah but he was cynical about it before that. I read it as "I may not believe in your religion, but I dont have to be a dick about it".

The question is if it was in common parlance at the time, and its hard to say.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

I thought it basically eats any carbon-molecules? ie life on earth?

So do I.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah but he was cynical about it before that. I read it as "I may not believe in your religion, but I dont have to be a dick about it".

The question is if it was in common parlance at the time, and its hard to say.

Beardy dude doing the briefing for the first Death Star attack ends with "Man your ships. And may the Force be with you." Certainly seems to be in use with the Rebels.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Sunswipe posted:

Beardy dude doing the briefing for the first Death Star attack ends with "Man your ships. And may the Force be with you." Certainly seems to be in use with the Rebels.

I cant believe I didnt remember that. Absolutely fair.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

jabby posted:

Basically it felt like they were going for an 'Alien' vibe but the Alien wasn't nearly as threatening. No implication that it was the perfect biological weapon, no acidic blood, no proven method of reproduction. Just doesn't scream 'the planet is in danger'.
Was there even any of that "threat to the world" stuff in the first Alien movie? Isn't it just a threat to them because they're a small crew in the middle of nowhere isolated from all possible help?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

jabby posted:

If it was they didn't imply it very hard. They never mention any other life on Mars, just that Calvin hibernates when environmental conditions aren't right.

And even if Calvin's species did wipe out all the life, that doesn't mean a single creature could do the same. It's a pretty big jump to even assume it can reproduce on it's own.

I think it's a pretty realistic portrayal of what we'd do in real life if faced with the same situation. One might assume that bullets or bombs or whatever should be able to kill it, but they don't know that or how big it can get or how it would function in earth's atmosphere.

You're probably right that it wasn't a global threat, but from a government/military perspective it makes more sense to sacrifice a handful of scientists instead of risking a lot more civilians dying before they figure out how to kill it, even if it's a small risk. "They knew what they signed up for" etc.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
The ending of Life was so loving terrible. The whole "oh there are two capsules and they bang into each other and tumble around and who knows which one will end up on earth isnt' this tense!" thing was just predictable as gently caress. Also yeah,
it didn't show any way of reproducing or spreading besides building a home out of Jake Gyllenhaal so whats it gonna do, eat every human one by one and grow a couple centimeters every time? How will the collective military strength of planet earth ever counter that!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Shai-Hulud posted:

The ending of Life was so loving terrible. The whole "oh there are two capsules and they bang into each other and tumble around and who knows which one will end up on earth isnt' this tense!" thing was just predictable as gently caress. Also yeah,
it didn't show any way of reproducing or spreading besides building a home out of Jake Gyllenhaal so whats it gonna do, eat every human one by one and grow a couple centimeters every time? How will the collective military strength of planet earth ever counter that!

I agree about the ending. In theory though he could just hang out in the ocean for a while eating whales and stuff (assuming he can swim) until he got uncontrollably large.

I just assume since it's a scifi movie that something would backfire trying to deal with it with traditional ways. Like every time there's some threat and a general suggests shooting/nuking it, it ends up making the thing stronger, or at best is just unaffected.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They already did that, it was called Evolution.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Evolution was head and shoulders above the drivel of today. :colbert:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The problem was it could do all that from a single cell or whatever it was they found. So you'd have to destroy it absolutely completely to avoid it continually resurging and growing big and loving poo poo up again, probably as multiple creatures spreading in random directions.

Like, the ocean is full of fish and home to a ton of biomass that'd be converted into a LOT of those fuckers before any decent response could even be planned much less executed.

I saw it as a dumb 80s horror film with a higher budget, but the creature itself and its threat to Earth seemed pretty plausible to me, from what was shown on screen.

Tiggum posted:

Was there even any of that "threat to the world" stuff in the first Alien movie? Isn't it just a threat to them because they're a small crew in the middle of nowhere isolated from all possible help?

The Alien in the first movie didn't threaten the world per se, but The Company wanted it for weird and probably hosed up research. I forget if they mention something like "biological weapons division" but either way, it was definitely a bad thing to let it come back.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 13:02 on Nov 3, 2017

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Evolution was head and shoulders above the drivel of today. :colbert:

(I could not resist! :D)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

VideoGames posted:

(I could not resist! :D)

I was going to do the same thing, except I'm phone posting.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Powaqoatse posted:

The Alien in the first movie didn't threaten the world per se, but The Company wanted it for weird and probably hosed up research. I forget if they mention something like "biological weapons division" but either way, it was definitely a bad thing to let it come back.
If they didn't mention it, it would be the only piece of Alien fiction that didn't. It must be possible to come up with some plotline other than "Assholes are trying to use xenomorphs as weapons, xenos get out of control, ninety minutes of gore and jumpscares, someone escapes."

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I only half paid attention when I was watching Life but I thought the idea was that it adapted to its environment and its needs. So yeah, it was a dog-sized monster with tentacles in the space station, but only because that was the best size and shape to survive at that moment. I figured it would grow out of control on earth and become increasingly hard to kill, let alone kill completely.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's basically The Thing without the shapeshifting/assimilation.

Also a displacer beast.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Sunswipe posted:

If they didn't mention it, it would be the only piece of Alien fiction that didn't. It must be possible to come up with some plotline other than "Assholes are trying to use xenomorphs as weapons, xenos get out of control, ninety minutes of gore and jumpscares, someone escapes."

The only reason the Nostromo even went to LV-426 is because Mother detected the signal from the Star Jockey craft and the Company wants to get its hands on any alien technology. And then remember that Bilbo Baggins was trying to use the crew as incubators to bring back the Xenomorph.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Armacham posted:

The only reason the Nostromo even went to LV-426 is because Mother detected the signal from the Star Jockey craft and the Company wants to get its hands on any alien technology. And then remember that Bilbo Baggins was trying to use the crew as incubators to bring back the Xenomorph.

Yeah but I think we only know that they want it, not what they want it for. Paging Xenomrph

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Zach Snyder should make Superman vs Aliens. That seems to be right up his alley.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Somehow Snyder would make the Xenomorphs the heroes in that version of his film.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Armacham posted:

The only reason the Nostromo even went to LV-426 is because Mother detected the signal from the Star Jockey craft and the Company wants to get its hands on any alien technology. And then remember that Napoleon Bonaparte was trying to use the crew as incubators to bring back the Xenomorph.

FTFY

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Android Apocalypse posted:

Somehow Snyder would make the Xenomorphs the heroes in that version of his film.

A film from a xeno point of view would be interesting, but if Snyder made it they'd spend all their time looking up cheerleaders' skirts tut-tuting Superman for touching the cheerleaders when he "saved" them

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Gosford Park has so many characters. I like it a lot because I enjoy mysteries (I reckon it should've won the Oscars that year instead of A Beautiful Mind) but there's just so many characters I always have a hard time remembering who's who, because everyone seems to have about three different names each.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
My Irrationally Irritating TV Moment is shows addressing criticism against the show by having a character in the show literally present those criticisms at the plot. I don’t know how many shows have done this, but I noticed it in both Sherlock and Stranger Things. By all means, creators should improve from season to season based off criticism they receive. Having an actual in-universe character comment about it comes across as a little petty, which is weird for me because I’m usually for meta stuff. (And admittedly, Stranger Things was much more graceful in its approach than Sherlock, but it still rubbed me the wrong way).

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

dirksteadfast posted:

My Irrationally Irritating TV Moment is shows addressing criticism against the show by having a character in the show literally present those criticisms at the plot. I don’t know how many shows have done this, but I noticed it in both Sherlock and Stranger Things. By all means, creators should improve from season to season based off criticism they receive. Having an actual in-universe character comment about it comes across as a little petty, which is weird for me because I’m usually for meta stuff. (And admittedly, Stranger Things was much more graceful in its approach than Sherlock, but it still rubbed me the wrong way).

It was funny to me when Felix pointed it out on Orphan Black about the constant kidnappings and escapers in about early season 3 right as I started noticing it. But yeah, if it's that bad maybe stop doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

dirksteadfast posted:

This has been happening in literature and plays for centuries as well