Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Arrange to hang out with our friend after work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Feign Friendship until we figure out what the heck an infinity arrow is.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Friends with Karla posted:

"Any luck with that Infinity Arrow?"

Karla answers with a soft smile.

- "No, not yet."

It was an amazing idea, really. Karla was a great fletcher and a talented archer. But her real dream was to create a magical weapon she called the Infinity Arrow. Legend said that it was perfect in every way, and if fired toward a target within eyesight, it couldn't miss. It was just a story, but it fit Karla's personality to create something that perfect.
(Karla Relationship +3)

- "I doubt I'll find all the materials I'd need for it in a little town like this."

"Can you get out of work early today?"

Karla smiles and nods.

- "How can I say no when it's your last day in town?"

She puts away her fletching gear and starts to close the shop for the day.

"I have a few things I need to get first," you say with a smile.

You purchase a sleeping roll, flint and steel, water skin, and a backpack. It completes your travelling gear. Karla walks from store to store with you as you do your shopping.

You have: 130 GP

The sleeping roll, flint & steel, water skin, and backpack are free. Let's see what we can buy that costs money. Multiple items voting is permissible here.

Options posted:

1. Buy weapons.

2. Buy equipment.

3. Buy from the Thieves Guild.

4. Visit the Temple.

5. Done shopping.

Weapons posted:

1. Buy a Sword. (Needs 30 Gold)

2. Buy a Dagger. (Needs 15 Gold)

3. Buy a Bow. (Needs 40 Gold)

Daggers & Swords both use the Blades Skill. Daggers are cheaper, can be thrown, and usually work better than Swords in close quarters. We can only carry one of each at a time. The Bow uses Archery.

Equipment posted:

1. Buy a Lute. (Needs 50 Gold)

2. Buy a coil of Rope. (Needs 15 Gold)

3. Buy a Lantern. (Needs 15 Gold)

4. Buy a Hammer and Spikes. (Needs 20 Gold)

Lanterns can create light and be thrown or smashed to make fire. Rope aids climbing when Agility is low. I can substitute another musical instrument for the Lute if preferred, same price. The Hammer & Spikes are a gimmick item, not saying what the gimmick is.

Thieves Guild Market posted:

1. Buy a Thief Harness for climbing. (Needs 80 Gold)

2. Buy a Lockpick Set. (Needs 60 Gold)

The Thieves Guild also sells Spellbooks if we didn't already have one. A Thief Harness is an upgraded Rope with ascenders that allows hands-free climbing. The Lockpick Set is self-explanatory.

Temple posted:

1. Buy a flask of Holy Water. (Needs 40 Gold)

2. Buy a Holy Symbol. (Needs 25 Gold)

3. Donate gold to the needy.

Holy Water is supposedly useful against undead enemies. If we get a Holy Symbol, please vote on which God it's for and whether it's Good or Evil (I can count the tally from Priestess voting if needed). It doesn't do anything besides proclaim faith unless we become a Priestess down the line. If voting for Option 3, please vote how much we should donate for possible Good Morality points. I'll prioritize based on highest number of votes, getting equipment first.

There will be other opportunities to shop for the things we can't afford right now. A lot of the above equipment may be useless at our current Skill levels or our Magic can perform the same functions. Buy what you want, subject to our 130 GP budget. I'll check in around 1700 CST.

Stats posted:

Stats

Renata, the Monk

Health: 100%

Specialized Training: 1 Monk level.

Possessions: Spellbook, three glowing rune-covered Demon Stones, one dull unglowing rune-covered Demon Stone.
A sleeping roll, flint and steel, a water skin, and a backpack
Belt Pouch with 130 GP.

Animal Companions, Pets, and Familiars- None.
Mounts- None.

MORALITY:
Good: 45% Evil: 55%

ABILITIES:
Agility: 22%
Charm: 33%
Endurance: 20%
Perception: 30%
Strength: 20%
Willpower: 20%

SKILLS:
Archery: 0%
Devices: 0%
Magic: 47%
Blades: 0%
Stealth: 13%
Unarmed: 20%

KNOWLEDGE:
Arcana: 49%
Geography: 30%
History: 43%
Nature: 20%
Religion: 55%

RELATIONSHIPS:
Gale, friend and future Rogue 63%
Sister Geri, our Mentor 63%
Karla, Archer friend 63%

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Dagger & rope.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rope and lantern

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

No opinion on the rest, but always Bring Rope.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We're definitely buying Rope.

First Purchase posted:

Every story tells of the need for a good length of rope.

(Gold -15 and Gained Rope) You have: 115 Gold.

Karla looks over your equipment and Skills as you browse.

- "I know you're great with Magic, and you're not bad with your fists, but don't you want a Sword or a Dagger or something?"

1. Keep shopping.

2. Say "No, I'm fine." and save your money.

I think I'll leave us at this decision until around 0900 tomorrow and then move on to the initial training Karla offers so people who haven't had time yet can check in. There is of course more expensive stuff available to buy later if we want to save money. The purchase list appears last post, please continue to express interest if you want. I'll get anything we can afford that has a majority of votes. See y'all in the morning.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I guess a dagger might be useful as a tool at some point

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

I guess a dagger might be useful as a tool at some point

Echoing this.

We may specialize in unarmed combat for now, but multiple LPs of the Lone Wolf series have taught me to always have Rope and a Dagger.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

A dagger can be useful.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, I guess the Dagger's the last thing on our list.

Anakha- Actually, we specialize in Magical Combat right now, not Unarmed. We just started learning Unarmed Combat and Magic's a lot higher. So I recommend we depend on Magic until we get Unarmed up to match it, just to be safe. There are a few combat situations in the Lost Heir games where you can get free hits with any Skill (usually you need to distract enemies, have companions soften them up, or find some other advantage) and we can use those to boost Unarmed if we so decide. I'll try to indicate them. We can also train Unarmed further at certain points, usually by taking Monk or Thug levels. But it will probably not get close to our Magic for a long time.

The good news- all the really cool Monk abilities (Ki Strike, spirit walking, hold breath forever, etc.) don't actually depend on Unarmed Skill but on how much Monk training you have. There are also other benefits to Monk levels that should work out well for us, like the increased Perception stat. We'll see how this plays out as the game goes on. Playing a magic-wielding Monk like the element-benders from Avatar will work out fine for Renata, I think. :)

Finishing shopping posted:

You purchase a small Dagger. It comes with a sheath which fits onto your belt.

(Gold -15 and Gained Dagger)
You have: 100 Gold .

-Done Shopping

Ok, we've finished our first shopping spree.

What Next? posted:

You store your new things in your new backpack before walking out of town. You'll have to get used to the weight, so you don't mind bringing it all with you. Karla closes the shop door and locks it before following you out. Many people wave to you, making you realize how much Elmvale has become your home over the last few years.

- "You want to celebrate our birthday tomorrow? I'll buy dinner and drinks since I have extra money. Or we can get in some combat practice first."

You have practiced magical dueling, martial arts, and other forms of combat with Karla in the woods from time to time.

1. Walk out of town.

2. Walk to the tavern.

The game now allows us to go to the local Tavern or outside of town into the forest. We can train in the forest and then still go to the Tavern later, so let's do Option 1 first.

Train in the Woods posted:

Karla seems a little nervous, as she always does when you leave town. Tales of wild animals, bandits, and monsters are often told at her father's shop. Those tales help to sell arrows, but they have left Karla with a large fear of the unknown. She fought this fear by trying to learn everything she could about the roads and Geography outside of Elmvale. The woods are beautiful and the warm summer breeze feels really nice.

1. Say, "Tomorrow's pretty easy for you."

2. Ask, "Ready to practice?"

Picking Option 1 here will upset Karla since she doesn't want to think about tomorrow for some reason. Let's train before we risk pissing her off (which we can still do afterwards if you want).

If we were a character attracted to Karl/a, we'd also have options to hold hands with them, kiss them, give them a promise ring, and attempt to make love in the woods. The latter option is a bad idea, since Karl/a's shy and won't want to move fast, but s/he will wait for you if you hold off now and don't romance anyone else before you return to Elmvale before the second to last quest of LH1, then you can get together before that quest. Of course, we're heterosexual and not romancing Karla in this run, so no such options for us. But we can still do some...

Training with Karla posted:

You smile and say "Ready to practice?

Karla nods, smiling quietly.
(Karla Relationship +3)

1. Practice Archery.

2. Practice Swordfighting.

3. Practice Unarmed combat.

4. Practice Magical dueling.

We can still talk to Karla or visit the Tavern after the above training, but doing either first skips the possible bonus here. Can't have that. :) Please vote on the bonus, then we can decide how to end this scene. See y'all around 1700 this afternoon.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Archery! Haha no, train unarmed.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

We're good friends. Let's punch each other

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
How did I know we'd pick Unarmed? :) Again, keep in mind it's lower and it's going to stay lower because of the opportunities we missed. We might be able to punch the big boss of LH1 and not get hurt trying, but only if we get all remaining possible Unarmed bonus opportunities before then and they're what I think I remember. Magic or another ranged attack is often a better idea than punching too. And per my mapping out last night, we'll also need to use Magic at almost every opportunity where it's the best option to keep it up to snuff if we don't take a Magic using class level at some point. Future combats are that biased. :( If people want me to breeze through situations where there's only one success option, I can do that (I rethought what I said in the OP, this may be our only run, and failure ain't good especially when the only free hits in LH1 depend on Artifacts we won't get if we fail). I'll take official polls when we get such situations later on, but you can express interest in that sooner if you want. Thread participation is low enough I'm considering it.

For now...

Self-Defense Practice posted:

You raise your hands in front of your face and begin to punch at the soft bundle of rags that Karla holds in front of herself. Although she has no intention of leaving home or using the skills you are practicing, she's a good friend and sincerely wants to help you learn to better defend yourself.
(Unarmed +3)

This makes our Unarmed 23%. If we can get it to 45% before the LH1 final boss (first hit only is low difficulty) we can punch him without being injured. And that's not a sure thing. No lower difficulty encounters that will match our Skill before then either. Otherwise free hit situations will probably be the only times when Unarmed can succeed. Just fair warning.

Karla offers the same bonus for Blades and Magic here. The Archery bonus is +5 and she'll offer a similar bonus later, but not the other combat bonuses. :(

After Practice posted:

"You oughta try hitting back," you tell Karla after you finish your session of punching the bag she holds. "It's a good workout."

- "I'm fine, Renata. I'd rather shoot at danger with my Bow than get close enough to risk it hurting me. Not that I'll ever see much danger in Elmvale."

She grimaces as she puts the bag away.

- "How bout that dinner now? I don't want to think about tomorrow."

1. Say, "I'm starving, let's go get something to eat."

2. Say, "You'll be a full-blown fletcher tomorrow, won't you?"

We going to the Tavern (hang out with Karla for relations bonus, also possible Fling with Charm bonus and no risk because we're not romancing Karla), or talking to Karla here (no bonuses, but she does open up more with character info in canon)? Let me know by next update (around 0900 tomorrow when I'm home from work).

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Tavern.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Talk to her. Also, going on autopilot for combat checks could be a good idea, especially if we don't have more than one viable option.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

We're heading out on our own, let's party at the tavern in celebration!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tavern for this totally-not-a-date.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will turn on combat & challenge autopilot, unless we have more than one success available (possible eventuality). I'll also continue guiding us through social interaction false choices, stopping when I am unsure how to proceed or think it might be fun to roleplay here and there. Hope that's okay with everyone.

Dinner with Karla posted:

Elmvale's Full Cup Inn is full of the dinner crowd, as could be expected. The bartender is busy helping the kitchen staff bring out meals while tending the bar as well. Tonight is Midsummer's Eve, a night known for excessive behavior and wild parties. Most responsible 17 year olds who are turning 18 tomorrow are careful. Many craftsmen already know who they will be choosing for apprentices, but stories of careless youths losing a job because of a poor presentation at the ceremony are often told. You are intending to turn down any offers since you are going to take up the life of an adventurer. Karla is also relatively without stress, as her position in the Fletcher's Guild is pretty much guaranteed.

1. Have a few drinks.

2. Have only one drink.

3. Have no drinks.

Karla's buying, but let's start this slow.

One Drink posted:

- "Oh come on, Renata, loosen up a little!"

The drinks come and you pick yours up. Karla smiles as she takes a drink too. She doesn't usually drink, but she seems to be making an exception tonight. The Full Cup Inn is full of familiar faces. One table has a group of loud short stocky bearded men who work the mines. Another table has a group of thin men with pipes. Your server is a handsome man with well-defined muscles in his arms, a charming smile, and bright eyes.

There is also a red-haired woman with a well-defined cleavage working the tavern's tables that are occupied by people who might be attracted to her.

The male server wanders over to your table.

- "Evening, ladies. My name is Steve, I'll be your server. Can I get you anything to eat?"

Karla frowns under the server's flirtatious gaze.

1. Order a meal.

2. Skip the meal and order more drinks.

Food sounds good.

Option 1 posted:

You place your order with the server, surprised when he winks at you. You can smell the roasting meat and freshly baked bread from the kitchen. You make small talk with Karla as you wait for the food to arrive. A short while later the handsome server brings you your meal.

- "Thanks, Renata. I could use some food."

(Karla Relationship +3)

- "How bout some more drinks, ladies?"

1. Order some drinks.

2. Talk to Karla.

3. Ask the server his name.

4.Call it a night and go home.

Options 2 and 3 will keep things going in various ways, we can do both later after Option 1. Same for Option 4, let's not end this scene just yet.

I already put the server's name above- Steve and his female counterpart Steffany are the game's first possible romantic Flings. Unfortunately, you need 40 Charm to get with one of them, making the 10 point Charm bonus for doing so off limits to characters who did not favor music and diplomacy in their youth or took a Charm bonus Class (Bard, Squire) at first level. But we can still get some free Charm points for flirting with them if we don't try to push past the sales pitch. The fact that going after these points will cost relation points if Romancing Karl/a and you can't start a Romance later either makes some LH players reluctant to take Karl/a as a Partner. :(

Asking the server their name gives us a special option to try and set Karl/a up with the server. Sadly, there's no way it can work and trying that ends the scene. Let's put Karla at ease instead.

Ordering More Drinks posted:

The server comes to your table several more times. You and Karla laugh and joke as the bar becomes noisy around you. You can feel the effects of the alcohol immediately. The server continues to smile at you and brushes his hip against your arm several times, winking at you each time.

Karla grimaces as she observes Steve's advances.

- "That guy's trying a bit hard, isn't he? Should we let him know you're not interested? I'm not. You can go for him if you want, though, I guess."

You shrug. "I'll decide in a little bit. First, what about tomorrow? Why do you not want to talk about it? Don't you already have a great job lined up?"

Karla sighs as she downs her latest drink.

- "Yeah, an easy job. I'll be doing what I've been doing the past ten years. Sitting behind the counter, making arrows! You'd think my parents would help me find something more exciting!"

"You don't have to do that, you know. You'll be an adult. Why not come adventuring with me?"

- "Renata, over half the kids in Elmvale who turn 18 tomorrow are becoming adventurers just to get it out of their systems. Most of them will probably wander back home in a few months once they see how dangerous and crazy that life is. That's what my Dad says. And Mom says there will barely be any adventuring jobs tomorrow, so many kids are interested!"

You frown, recognizing she is saying things you had not considered when you chose an adventurer's life.

- "Hey, don't worry. I'm sure you'll get a great job somehow. I could try for one too, but I just don't want to right now, okay? Maybe if you can make it as an adventurer, you can come back here and tell me all about it. I might even want to join you then if I can convince my parents to let me. Help me find good reasons to do that, will you? Maybe I can find the materials for my Infinity Arrow if I can just get away from here."

Karla seems very glad to share her dreams with you. (Karla Relationship +5)

You eye the server, who is drifting back towards your table with his friendly smile at full power.

- "You ladies want any dessert?"

Karla frowns and looks away. Steve turns his eyes on you.

1. Smile at the good-looking server and say, "Hey there, handsome."

2. Ignore the server and return your attention to Karla.

Our relations with Karla are pretty good now- 74%. We'll need 80% to get aid from her against danger later when she eventually joins our party, but there will be other opportunities to earn points (the big penalties are out since there's no Romance to threaten). Shall we get her a bit closer to that aid now to be on the safe side, or try to flirt with Steve instead?

I'll check back around 1700 CST.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

flirt

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Get our flirt on.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I think it's just 30 charm actually, so we should be good. Also why I wanted us to be bi - didn't know Steve exists and the bonus is one of the biggest you can get outside of chargen, funnily enough.
Flirt.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 1, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Avalerion- Thx so much! You were correct, as I confirmed through a quick phone save scum session with a character of lesser Charm than Renata. So 10 Charm is ours. :) And I got the guy's name wrong too! Corrected below in this early update I award to your fix and my waking up early. You may unmark your spoilers if you like.

Everyone- In the future, please do not be afraid to correct me if I get a stat check amount or any other detail wrong, no matter how vague. I appreciate that we have game veterans here. I cannot move ahead of each decision point too soon, and my memory is not always reliable, as evidenced by the above mentioned incident and earlier issues. Nor do I always have time to check ahead using my phone. I am glad to be corrected when it helps out.

Update Our Flirting! posted:

You smile at the server. "Hey there, handsome. Steve, was it?"

- "That's my work name. My friends call me Steffan." He eyes you speculatively. "You could be a friend."

- "Is that your sister over there?"

- "Cousin. Steffany. Why?"

- "No reason."

"She's shy," you say. "Sit down with us if you like. I'm Renata, by the way. Hey there."

- "Hey there yourself. My name's Steffan."

Steffan smiles, leans close, and sits down next to you, pressing his leg against your own. Karla looks away, a smile on her face.

1. Order drinks and flirt with the server.

2. Order drinks and talk to Karla instead of Steffan.

3. Attempt to set Karla up with Steffan.

4. Don't order drinks, but continue flirting with the server.

5. Don't order drinks, but talk to Karla instead of Steffan.

And I got the options order from earlier wrong too. :doh: I also discovered in my recent phone session that you can ask Karl/a about the Infinity Arrow here if you missed the option at the store. If you fail to make arrangements to go out with Karl/a there, you'll skip this meeting along with any chance to train early with Karl/a or flip on their Romance flag.

As already revealed, Option 3 will not help us. Concentrating on Karl/a instead of the server here means we get another Relations bonus with her, but we have enough. You can also get a small Charm bonus if you are Romancing Karl/a and ask her to be your significant other but not sleep with you (she won't do that until you come back to Elmvale and there's a Relations penalty for trying to score early), but we're not doing that. Drinking only affects flavor text. Since Karla's buying (no GP is spent in this scene) and flirting is unanimous, let's go with Option 1.

Drink and Flirt! posted:

"Another round of drinks please. And you can join us if you like. Are you getting off soon?" Your eyes make your intentions clear.

Steffan grins and scoots close to you on the bar bench. He gestures to his cousin Steffany, who brings over more drinks.

- "I get off in a few minutes. So I haven't seen you ladies around town much. Do you live on a local farm or...?"

"In the Temple, actually. Not the celibate wing."

- "The Temple. Interesting."

Karla sighs as she listens to your flirting continue. You can tell she feels left out, but there is no penalty for this because she is a good understanding friend and you had displayed no intention of wooing her earlier in the night. Indeed, you are not attracted to girls as anything more than friends. Your friend finishes her latest drink, sighs as she settles the tab with the bartender- you notice Karla is a good tipper, whatever her other disappointing qualities- and then stands up.

- "Nice seeing you, Renata. But I have to get up early tomorrow. It was fun; we should do this again sometime."

- "Nice meeting you."

- "..."

You bid Karla goodbye as she leaves and turn back to Steffan.

1. Suggest that Steffan come home to the temple with you.

2. Spend the rest of the night flirting with him.

Option 2 awards 3 Charm and a playful kiss. I think we'd prefer Option 1.

Intention to Seduce posted:

"I'm actually leaving town tomorrow," you tell Steffan after a few more minutes of getting to know him during which you order no more drinks and wave off Steffany. "I'm hoping to make my last night here for a while fun. Would you be willing to come home with me?"

- "Sure, okay!"

He easily succumbs to your Charm and slips out of the busy common room with you after clocking out. The two of you then head to your room at the Temple, flirting on the way and exchanging kisses after you are safely in private. What happens next is as enjoyable as you had hoped.

Some time before dawn, Steffan slips out of your bed and returns home, leaving you with a smile on your face.

(Charm +10)

Two points short of the next big Charm check. So close. :( Hope we can pick up 55 Charm by a certain gigantic part of LH2 (I think it's 55 Charm, correct me when we get there if you know I'm wrong and have the chance), but if we can't, our Magic should get us through it fine. Ah well. BTW, if not recognized, Steffan was a cameo from Rupert Grint of the Harry Potter films. As referenced above, he does have a female equivalent in Steffany. The same is not true of a female-only Fling character in LH3, but I've never actually scored with her (it requires both high Agility and Endurance, plus expelling possible other hook-ups on both sides), so I think we'll be fine for that loss. Other Flings will be mentioned as they are encountered.

Let me also say this now. I am a heterosexual male, and it may thus be difficult for me to get into a woman's head sometimes. If I portray things wrong, and any real women here want to verbally slap me for it, please be gentle. I write most women the same way as Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets", albeit with a bit more attempted respect.

The Next Day posted:

The morning of Midsummer dawns bright and sunny. Your head aches miserably and the room spins when you first try to get up. The bells of the Temple sound once more, calling the faithful away from breakfast. You cast an anti-hangover spell you know, wash up and get dressed, then pick up your backpack and look around your small sparse room. It was easy to pack, since temple life discouraged the gathering of possessions. Now that you are eighteen, you can apply for membership to the Adventurers Guild and begin making a life for yourself.

You leave your small room behind and go down the hall. Sister Geri is waiting for you at the Temple's entrance. She's been like a mother to you for the last six years. Although frustratingly serene at times, you get along well with the old Monk. If Sister Geri is aware of the young man you brought home last night, who slipped out earlier, she gives no sign. It is not the first time you have enjoyed such a liaison.

- "Renata, before you go,
I think it's time to talk about those runes you took from High Chancellor Zusak. They're Demon Stones, and they're how the Planewalkers summon their servants."

You nod and wave her to talk with you in a shrine just off the Temple foyer. You-

1. Ask, "What do you know about them? Anything new?"

2. Demand, "They're mine. Give them back."

3. Say, "Yes, I know what they are."

Back to an important plot issue. I'm off tonight, so I'll update after a good majority, maybe around 2200 CST.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Huh, Ron cleans up nicely, didn't recognize him in that pic.

Ask, what do you know...?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

what's new? Might as well try to find out why he wanted that rock so bad.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, what's with those things?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Early decision, good majority.

Positive social interaction is mostly easy in these games, at least early on. I'm considering, provided there is no disapproval, moving us past such instances to best result unless there's multiple possible positive outcomes, I'm unsure, or I think role-playing is a better idea. Let me know if you don't want that, before the next update or later. Silence if no objection is fine.

I'll move us through the social interaction here to demonstrate. Response 1 of the previous choice was positive but neutral in that it earns us no Relations with our Mentor (other Mentors would have made similar presentations here). The other choices result in 2- negative Relations, and 3- still neutral (I think). The order is almost never the same, and positive can sometimes be hard to predict.

Responding Positively posted:

"What do you know about them? Anything new?"

- "Unfortunately, no, I have not learned much about them other than what I have previously told you. The Stones are used to Summon Demons to this Plane.
The Som-Reth crafted the original ones, but the Consortium has begun to learn the skill as well. The Stones have the true name of a Demon inscribed on them, allowing a Summoner to bring each Stone's associated creature into our world and then command it to do as they wish."

"Hold on," you interrupt her. "Did you say the Consortium is crafting them now?"

- "That's what the Temple gossip says. They're not distributing the Stones outside their ranks at present, nor have they made their methods known to the general public. But rumors do say the Consortium can now make Demon Stones as well as use them. Their research has truly come far."

You shiver slightly as Sister Geri continues.

- "Any newly found Demon Stones are usually sent immediately to the Consortium, but the one that Zusak stole from the Royal Treasury had been kept there for hundreds of years. The strange part is, as far as I know, it never even worked. Harmond would have known more; it's too bad he was killed."

She speaks for a while longer about the magical qualities of Demon Stones. You committ the information to memory. (automatic Arcana +3)

Sister Geri hands you a dark black bag similar to the one that Zusak had been wearing. It is the same bag Amos took from a Consortium soldier during your escape from the castle six years ago. You find the four stones that you stole from Zusak inside.
(Regained a black runebag containing four Demon Stones)

- "I did some thinking about those Stones last night. I decided you're old enough to carry them, and you'll have a better chance finding out more about them and why Zusak wanted the un-glowing one during your travels than I would studying them any further by myself. They're yours now. Your parents were always against them. They knew they were evil. But, it may be your best way to get back at Zusak."

You nod, having considered such possibilities.

- "You'll want to keep those Stones contained in
a Consortium Runebag like they are now. Such bags used to be illegal for the average citizen to carry, when your parents ruled. The Academy of Wizards licensed their usage, but since the Dukes lifted the Royal ban on Demon Summoning, anyone can carry one. It's what Consortium Summoners use to hold their Demon Stones. If you're going to be carrying them, it'll be safer to keep them in that bag. I had a passing wizard enchant it so it will erase the Stones' magical properties if the bag is opened by a living being whom you do not trust. Such protection is standard. Harmond knew a way to break it, but that spell died with him."

You nod. "I remember. Do you think I should try to use the Stones?"

Sister Geri frowns.

- "No, I would advise against that. Demon Summoning is dangerous, especially to one of your limited Willpower. Practicing it would give you better Willpower and possibly let you find out much about the Consortium's capabilities with such magic and their plans, but... Renata, your parents would not like it if you did such a thing. I also would prefer you not. Demon Summoning is a crutch, not a strength. There will always be better options for any situation in which you find yourself... I hope so, anyway."

She stares at you nervously.

- "I cannot make such a decision for you, however. It has to be your choice. So, take the Stones with you.
But please, don't use them."

1. Say, "Ok, I won't use them, unless I have no other choice."

2. Say, "I'll do as I like with them, old lady."

3. Say, "But it might be my only chance to get back at Zusak."

This is not the big decision whether or not to Summon Demons. We'll make that decision soon, but not here. We can always change our minds later, so for now let's tell our Mentor what they want to hear. (Options 2 and 3 carry Relations penalty and no reward respectively.)

Canon Option 1 posted:

"Ok, I won't use them, unless I have no other choice."

Sister Geri nods in agreement.
(Good +1 and Sister Geri Relationship +3)

- "I'll understand if you decide you want to use the Stones to further investigate or get back at Zusak. It is your choice. I shall respect it. If you decide to Summon Demons, I may even tell you some things I have learned about doing so properly. But first you must make the decision on your own."

Sister Geri continues talking with a curious expression.

- "I still don't know how Harmond's spell opened Zusak's Runebag like it did. Consortium Runebags have a protective enchantment on them. Generally, if someone other than the owner tries to open a bag or cut through the side, the Demon Stones in the bag are rendered useless. I don't know if it was skill or luck that opened Zusak's bag without destroying the contents."

"It seemed like Skill when I saw it," you recall. "But maybe luck was involved too."

- "Do you have any other questions before you go?"

1. Ask, "What do we know about Zusak?"

2. Ask, "What do we know about Thuja?"

3. Ask, "What do we know about Selina?"

4. Ask, "What do we know about the Consortium?"

5. Ask, "Why did they kill my parents?"

6. Say, "I don't want to talk about it any more. It's time for me to leave."

7. Say nothing.

Picking 6 or 7 moves the plot ahead. The other 5 options are free. I'll show their answers all off on our first run.

Zusak posted:

"What do we know about Zusak?"

Memories of your enemy's face come back to you as Sister Geri replies.

- "Alexander Zusak was high up in the Consortium before the attack on the castle, and he still is. Since the kingdom of Daria broke apart and the Dukes took over, he's been quiet. But he's also been consolidating his power. He's still the High Chancellor, and that's as high as it gets. I've asked around and everyone says that he rarely leaves the Consortium's compounds in Vernex.

"Anything else?"

Thuja posted:

"What do we know about Thuja?"

- "Zusak's Weapon Master bodyguard, a dual axe-wielding giant of a man. I suspect he was responsible for gathering the men who attacked the castle. The Dukes told everyone that those criminals were there to break men out of the prison, and they did that, but we know that they were there for much more.

"Did you notice Thuja's Belt? The way he moved was unnatural. I suspect that his speed magic comes from that rune-covered piece of leather he wears around his waist."

You nod, recalling your own memories.

- "Anything else?"

Selina posted:

You think about the third member of Zusak's conspiracy, the woman most directly responsible for your parents' deaths.

"What do we know about Selina?"

- "That red-haired poisoner was named the Duchess of the newly formed Duchy of Dumain following your parents' castle's destruction. Despite not being noble except through political connections, her keen intellect and resourceful decisions during the difficult time after your parents were killed showed her value. Like Zusak, she's currently hiding in plain sight and is fully protected by the law."

You clench your fingers, longing for the chance to change that.

- "Anything else?"

The Consortium posted:

"What do we know about the Consortium of Planewalkers?"

- "The Consortium of Planewalkers is the group of Demon Summoners Zusak leads. As you may recall from Harmond's lecture on the day your parents died, they operate a large private army and a well-funded university for research and training. They have a large compound in Vernex to the far north, in the newly named Bandar duchy. They proclaim themselves to be the answer to the world's problems, with their Demon Summoning. But don't ever be swayed by their ideologies. Demon Summoning is dangerous and evil. In untrained hands, a Summoner can bring over something too powerful and lose his very soul, becoming a puppet to the monster, instead of the other way around.

"I don't know why they always petitioned your parents to make Demon Summoning legal. You'd think they'd try to keep the power themselves. Instead, they had the Dukes lift the ban. The Academy of Wizards used to train Summoners, but now anyone is allowed to do it. Cumari, the recently re-instated Archmage of the Academy since his rival's retirement, has not been able to change this under the Dukes' new laws.

"Anything else?"

The Bad Guys' Motives posted:

"Why did they kill my parents?"

- "That's the big question. Zusak was in charge and brought in Thuja and Selina. The Dukes who took over the kingdom had clear rewards, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were simply taking advantage of an opportunity and didn't know everything that was happening until it was over. I doubt it was just to steal the un-glowing Demon Stone. They could have stolen it without killing your parents."

You shake your head. "No. Royal blood was necessary to unlock the Treasury vaults. And it's clear to me their motives run deeper than just theft."

- "I believe so as well.
Anything else?"

"I don't want to talk about it any more. It's time for me to leave."

Proceeding with Option 6 from above choice after reviewing the plot thus far.

No further questions posted:

- "I wish you all the best on your journey. Please keep up your training. I will be here to help you, should you return to Elmvale. The Gods are watching over you, Renata. I am sure wherever your parents are now, they are watching you also, and like me they are very proud."

You-

1. Hug the old Monk and say goodbye.

2. Say goodbye and thank her.

3. Ask for money and then leave.

4. Leave without saying anything.

I thought about choosing the above social interaction for us, but I think I'll let readers do it instead. I'll proceed with the canon majority decision sometime after midnight CST (not moving this one up).

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 2, 2017

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Grateful hug.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

give foster mom a hug

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Majority says we hug. I usually do that too. :) Asking for money gives negative relations and a pittance of GP (totally not worth it). Not sure what the other options lead to.

Hug our Foster Parent posted:

You can tell that you've surprised Sister Geri by your display of affection. She is a monk with an iron grip and an iron mind, but her heart is good. After a moment, she briefly softens and hugs you back.
(Sister Geri Relationship +15)

After your embrace, Sister Geri quickly regains her composure.

- "Remember your prayers and your training. Remember, the temple will always welcome you back. Please, come and visit."

You say that you will and smile one last time at the old woman before slipping out the Temple's front door.

The village of Elmvale is bustling as you make your way to its central square. The other new adults who turned eighteen this year have already gathered there. Most of them will get jobs as apprentices in various fields, but some unfortunate ones won't be offered anything. Most will go to other villages and hope for apprenticeships, but quite a few will be going straight to the Adventurers Guild to offer their service.

Sure enough, as Karla warned you, the Guild is bursting at the seams with new applicants. Not all of them will be castoffs. Some of them, like yourself, will have wanted to join on their own. It makes for a very diverse group of people. You see a huge crowd of young men and women gathered around the notice board outside the Guild offices. Most of the advertisements on that board are already gone, taken by eager inexperienced warriors, rogues, clerics, and other assorted adventurers. You try to work your way through the crowd before all the jobs are gone.

- "Hey, I was here first!"
- "..."
- "..."
"Pardon me. Let me through please."
- "Excuse you!"
- "Go ahead, if you're that eager."
"Thanks."

As you move through the gathered adventurers,
a voice shouts from the middle of the square.

- "Gods be damned!"

1. The owner of the voice is the largest woman you've ever seen.

2. The owner of the voice is the largest man you've ever seen.

We already created Theo (Dwayne Johnson), Princess Renata's future warrior buddy and probable love interest. We won't officially meet him for an update or two, but we first see him here.

Large Handsome Warrior posted:

The owner of the voice stands seven feet tall and must weigh at least 300 pounds. His legs are like tree trunks and his arms are bulging with muscle. His messy black hair hangs over a thick brow and he wears a massive warhammer on his belt. He's around 25, a veteran adventurer. He's also somewhat handsome, you note to yourself, with clear intelligence behind his piercing dark eyes.

The large warrior curses as he looks over the job board, his height allowing him to see above the crowd. Thanks to your Monk training from Sister Geri, you can accurately judge his emotions- Frustration, anger, and behind them, determined resolve.

- "Blasted Midsummer Day!"

You can see the problem immediately. There are so many new people, like yourself, that there weren't enough jobs to go around. You realize you will need to make your way through the throng and try to find something for yourself.

- "Screw this."

The large warrior turns from the board, pushing through the crowd and going in the opposite direction.

1. You notice that he has a plan, so you follow him. (passed test of 30 Perception)

2. Struggle to see the board.

The first option above is a hidden choice unlocked by having 30 Perception that allows us some early Relation points with Theo if we pick it. That Monk training came in handy. :) But just in case we don't want to do the special option, let me paraphrase the other options we'd have regardless.

All the Options posted:

You move through the crowd, struggling to reach the notice board. Glancing over your shoulder, you can see the large warrior moving in the other direction. The crowd of eager young people is slowing him down quite a bit.

- "Blast it! Freaking Midsummer's Day!"

You keep the large warrior in sight- an easy task given his size- and move towards the board, wondering if there will be any jobs left. Unfortunately, by the time you finally get there, all but one of the notices have been torn down by other job hunters. A pair of fellow would-be Adventurers are contemplating the last advertisement.

- "This is a job watching over some local farmer's sheep herd. He's traveling to Ludd tomorrow to sell his flock and wants to hire six guards. The Guild put it up for grabs since they didn't think too many people would be interested."

- "It doesn't sound like it will be very much profit, Bobby. Just a gig herding sheep."

- "Yeah, well, we got to start somewhere, right? Plenty of dangers to sheep in the wilderness. Anyone who has one of the ad's grab tabs can get this job. We just show up with our tabs at the farmer's house this evening. I got the last three. Here's yours, Vicky, since I owe you a favor. I think I'll give my twin brother the other one."

You frown, a strange pull inside you demanding you somehow get the young male adventurer to give you the extra tab instead. You also realize you saw the large warrior looking right at the same advertisement before he left. Your Monk training allowed you to clearly guess his intentions. He has a plan to somehow get the job without a tab.

You-

1. Offer Bobby 10 Gold Pieces to give you his extra tab.

2. Try to talk Bobby into giving you the tab (succeed with 30 Charm).

3. Threaten Bobby into giving you the tab (succeed with more Blades or Strength than we have, otherwise back to this choice).

4. Contact the Guild and offer to do the job at half the advertised price.

5. Follow the large warrior. You Percieve he has a plan.

Pretty obvious getting this job is plot mandatory.

Option 3 won't work for Renata- we don't have the evident Strength or Blades Skill to back up a threat like my previous Thug and Dark Knight characters made here. Options 1 and 4 will negatively impact our GP earnings, so I don't think we should pick them either. Option 2 (use Charm) and Option 5 (same as the Perception choice above) seem best IMO. But which method should Renata try?

I will proceed with the majority's decision sometime later today.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Use the Perception bonus and follow the Rock.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Lets follow this weirdo who is almost certainly not our next party member.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I rather think we could work on our charm some more, talk to the boy.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
2-1 on Perception, so I'll show off something of what using it here will mean for us (stat results of decision behind spoilers next to options). However, I think we could use more votes on this issue from people who haven't spoken in a while, so I'm bumping a bit. No bonuses yet, this is just a custom "are you sure?" update. Changed votes will be fine, but I'll keep the current tally otherwise.

Follow that Warrior! posted:

You reflect that surely a veteran adventurer like the large warrior would know ways to get jobs with limited availability. Perhaps, if you can follow him, you'll learn similar methods yourself.

Behind you, the young boy and girl adventurers are still chatting.

- "Bobby, your brother might not want this job. He's a lazy slob! He hates sheep too."

- "I do know that, Vicky. Our parents want us both out of the house now that we're adults. This may be my brother's only prospect. I'm giving it to him, unless someone talks me out of it somehow."

You wonder if you could do such a thing. As evidenced by your previous interactions with castle servants, your parents and Harmond, and Steffan the bar server, you do have some experience Charming people. But maybe your Perception is a better course to follow. You can't be sure.

The moment of hesitation has consequences. The large warrior looks back over his shoulder and sees you following him through the crowd. Even if you'd had better Stealth skills, there was no reason to use them here.

The warrior raises his eyebrow and glares at you, pointing a meaty finger. His other hand is on his hammer and his muscles are flexed.

- "Oi! What do you want?"

1. Brush him off with an honest compliment. "I want a job. You seem to know your way around." (Perception boost, Theo Relations boost)

2. Be bold and arrogant. "It's a free duchy, I'll go where I please!" (Perception boost, Theo Relations penalty)

3. Say "Nothing, sorry.", turn around, and see if you can Charm Bobby to give up his extra tab. (Charm boost, Theo remains neutral)

Remember, Skills don't get better in Choice of Games titles like this unless exercised. Please vote for Perception or Charm. If you'd like to vote on what sort of first impression we make on Theo if using Perception, I'll take that as well. Next update with canon text for chosen option should be around 1800 CST.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm for befriending Theo- ideally the with benefits kind. :cool:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I want a job, you need help getting your hook back?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Tally-
Perception 3 vs. Charm 1.
First Impression on Theo 2 Good vs. 0 Bad.

The lack of Charm will impact us later, but, hey, I tried to remind us. :shrug: Hopefully the increased Theo Relations and Perception will compensate. Proceeding with canon text...

Exercising Perception! posted:

You follow the large man away from the crowd of people. An experienced warrior like this likely knows how to get the best job, you reason. The other two adventurers can make their own way. Bobby can offer his brother the job if that's what he wants.

The warrior notices you following and turns to confront you.
(Perception +3)

- "What do you want?"

1. Answer honestly, "A job, and you seem to know your way around."

2.Answer boldly, "It's a free duchy; I'll go where I want."

The warrior looks you over with a strange expression, one hand still on his warhammer. You suppress a momentary concern. After a few seconds, he speaks again.

- "Hmmmmpfff."

The warrior nods at you before turning away and stomping onward. If you made an impression, the results are not visually clear. You continue following him regardless.
(Theo Relationship +3)

You soon find yourself outside of town and approaching a small farm. The warrior goes to the front door and begins to knock. You keep a slight distance as you observe him, not wanting to risk arousing his ire.

After a moment, a woman answers the door.

- "Yes?"

- "I need to speak to your husband about the caravan job."

- "One moment please."

The door closes and the woman is gone. The warrior grimaces and looks back at you again, then returns his attention to the door with a shrug. You feel slightly relieved.

Looking around the farm, you notice a large herd of sheep in a penned pasture. Several of them let out loud "Baaa!!!" sounds as they regard you.

You can guess these are the sheep you will be watching over when your new job begins. You hope you will be able to get it via your current approach. You hear the woman yelling at someone inside the house.

- "Jett! A barbarian is at the front door to see you! Jett!"

After a few more moments, a balding middle-aged man whom you can guess is
the farmer opens the door and greets the warrior. His expression carries disturbed surprise. He notices both you and the warrior, but you cannot immediately tell what he is thinking.

- "Yes?"

The warrior answers boldly.

- "I want the caravan job."

- "The job's posted with the Adventurers Guild."

The farmer attempts to close his door, but the warrior puts a hand out to stop him.

- "The positions are filled, but you need me. I'm more experienced than the kids you're going to get. I know the roads. You need to tell the Guild that you need another guard and hire me."

You wince at the lack of tact, but surprisingly, the farmer nods agreement!

- "Okay, I'll make the arrangements. Another pair of guards might be a good idea anyway."

The large warrior turns and sees that you are still there. Luckily, he doesn't set the farmer straight. You guess that this isn't to aid you in any way, but simply because he got a job for himself and doesn't care that you also got hired.

The farmer smirks at both of you.

- "You're not together? My mistake. Well, tell you what, you both show up tonight when everyone else does and you'll have jobs regardless. I like initiave!

"You, barbarian, please come inside for a moment. It's clear you were the initiator, so I'd like to discuss some extra duties with you if you're agreeable. Lady in the back there, whoever you are, you can have the same job as everyone else to start out. Go back to the Guild and make sure your paperwork is in order, give them my name if they have questions. Come back with all the other applicants this evening. I'll explain the job then, and if you return in the morning, you can meet the sheep and my farmhands. Okay?"

You shrug. "That works for me, thanks. I'm Renata. What's your name?"

- "Master Jett. You met my wife earlier, I think."

The warrior does not introduce himself at this time. He looks away from you instead and enters Master Jett's home. The farmer gives you a departing wave, then closes his door. You shrug and head back to the Guild offices to complete your paperwork. You are confident it was good already, but it rarely hurts to check things over again.

The paperwork for the job is easy. Like many others, you had already registered with the Adventurers Guild. Sister Geri and several townspeople vouched for you. After having lived in Elmvale for the last four years, they felt confident in attesting to your age and that you hadn't been in the guild before.

Ok, we got the plot-mandated first job. And we picked up our chosen advantages through the game mechanics. :) Master Jett and his wife's head canons may look familiar to some of you- I'll reveal their players next update, please close spoilers before then. Let's move on to our next important event.

Line up with the applicants... posted:

The Next Day...That Evening...

You return to Master Jett's Farm after checking your Guild paperwork.

The evening sunset is
bright as you wait at the farm on the outskirts of town. Six other applicants are gathered with you in the farmyard in front of Master Jett's home. Among them, you recognize the two young people you saw at the notice board earlier, Bobby and Vicky. A young man who resembles Bobby is there as well. They greet you and tell you a few details about the prospective job they saw in the advertisement.

Master Jett, your new employer, has a large flock of sheep and several farmhands to service them. Your job, as a guard, is to help escort the band cross country to Master Jett's pastures in the southern duchy of Eddan. Master Jett intends to sell the sheep for a large sum of money shortly after he arrives in Ludd, then give each of his guards and farmhands a share. It's a low-paying job, but better than nothing.

One final applicant joins you as you nod greetings to Bobby, Vicky, and the others. A few introduce themselves to you, and all nod when you give your name, but you get the feeling any chance you have to make an impression on them, positive or negative, is not going to matter much to your life. Bobby's brother Ted points out the final applicant to you, and Bobby says something.

- "You know that guy, right? Vicky and I saw you following him this morning."

You turn to
see the large warrior with the warhammer from earlier waiting nearby. He raises an eyebrow when he sees you, but gives no other immediate reaction.

- "..."

The other adventurers gathered with you eye the warrior nervously and group together behind you. Bobby and Ted are both uneasy in the warrior's presence. Vicky is meanwhile eyeing his muscles with a look showing evident interest. The warrior notices this and says nothing. It appears that people are waiting for you to make the first move.

1. Introduce yourself to the large warrior. "Hi, I'm Renata."

2. Flirt with the large warrior. "Hello again. Mmm, you're a whole lot of man..."

3. Say nothing.

We now have another chance to make an impression on Theo. I'll remind you, he is our only prospective Romance Partner for LH1, so if we want the Love Endures Achievement (and possible other Romance-related achievements in LH2 & 3) plus a good Relationship with a future party member, boosting our Relations with Theo are key (Relations value for Theo is hidden until after this choice, but there are plenty of opportunities to make up for penalties later on). I'm letting readers choose Relations at present. Vicky might show off negative Relations for the entertainment of some readers, but no positive Relations will result except for our successful attempts.

Sack time with Theo will result if and only if we can get a good Relations level- I've checked the game since my last discussion of Romance in Lost Heir- link. The way it works is that a high level of Relations is the deciding factor. Good impressions are possible if we meet our Romantic Partner's preferred Romantic type before the Relations get to a high level. If we do not meet our partner's type, any attempts to flip on the Romance flag (gifts of flowers, blatant flirting, kissing, sexual approach, and so on) result in neutral events or penalties before the required Relations are achieved. The more serious the effort to start a Romance, the more serious the penalties for not being our partner's type.

Theo's preferred type is 60 Strength or 50 Charm- Renata does not meet that type. But 65 Relations will make him see us as a "pleasant diversion" at a certain point and he makes it clear how he sees us either way at that point, so that could help. We will only win Theo over if we have 80+ Relations when the Choice comes to offer Romance that he will accept. Our Relations level will be tested at that point. Starting things sooner might result in confirmation that Theo is interested, but he won't start a Romance that includes sack time before the game will let him. Neutral is the best result if he's not interested. There are penalties if we try to move too fast. Keep that in mind as we make our Romantic approaches when the choice comes up.

It will be okay with me if we don't do a Romance this LP's first run, it will only be a slight disappointment. I do want to try, however. If we prefer to stop this Romance at any point the game lets us, it will be possible. It is even possible to Romance Theo in LH1 for the Achievement, then break up with him at certain points in LH2 and 3. Even if we don't Romance him, good Relations are possible and worthwhile. It's obvious how to get some at the Choice above.

Correct me if you want on any of this, veterans. It's all per my memory.

Vote early, vote often. Next update will come around- tentative- 0200 CST.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 3, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Introduce our self.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, moving ahead. Slight delay due to fatigue. All posting times are tentative estimates- lots of things can get in the way. Thanks to voters.

Introducing Self posted:

(Theo Relationship +3)

You step forward from the crowd and extend your hand
to the towering warrior.

"Hello, I'm Renata."

He answers without looking in your direction.

- "Theo."

You step in front of him, hand still out. There is something about the warrior that makes him of interest to you, such that a simple hello is not enough. There is also something familiar about him. Have you met before? If so, the memory is so distant you have only vague details. A Norgan delegation to the castle in Tornassa, a strange temporary playmate for you and Gale in the kitchens, the taste of pie...

The warrior's hand shaking yours interrupts the memory. His handshake is as firm as you would expect. You return it with your own strength as your father taught you, and Theo nods in appreciation. Then he drops your hand and steps back.

The other adventurers greet Theo and a few give their names. He spares them an indifferent nod. Vicky is the exception. She fearlessly eyes Theo up and down.

-"You're a whole lot of man..."

Theo looks back at her with a frown, as though he does not like what he sees. He nods at her and gives his name again nevertheless. Vicky shuts up for the moment and steps away. You wonder why you feel relieved.

Before anything else can happen, Master Jett comes out of the farmhouse to inspect his new guards. He looks everyone over with an appraising eye.
Master Jett approaches you and looks over your equipment, but says nothing about it. Instead, he addresses you all at once.

- "Hello, everyone. My name is Master Jett. That's exactly what I expect you all to call me- Master Jett. I am the owner of the large flock of sheep you are to defend, and thus your employer. I hope you will all give me the proper respect.

"I need to say a few things before we start out. First, thank you all for coming. I'm afraid, however, that there are more guards here than I can afford. So, um... you two on the end there! You're fired. Go home!"

The two adventurers Jett indicates wave their hands and voice protest.

- "I know there were six tabs for the job. That means six slots, yes. But there are eight people here. Some of you brought friends. I can't afford to keep everyone. Such is life, plenty of other jobs out there. Good bye."

The game puts in six guards even if you get Jett to say he's hiring extra people through Perception. It's an easy bug to fix.

Back to Jett's official intro posted:

The two dismissed adventurers grumble at each other, then depart. Jett looks over the rest of the gathered applicants again, then resumes speaking. He still takes no apparent notice of your equipment or evident Skills.

- "Thank you. Now, the rest of you, you're welcome to stay. The job is to get my sheep, as many as possible, safely from Elmvale to Ludd. We'll all have to walk there with the sheep, so it should take about three months time. You won't need to tend the sheep at all during the journey, I've employed several shepherds for that duty. However, you will need to scout around the herd as we travel and take shifts to guard our camps at night. I've made a few journeys to Ludd before and we generally have issues with natural predators, strays, wandering monsters, bandits, and so forth. All those things can cost me sheep and the money I'd make from selling them in Ludd, that's why you're here."

Master Jett's expression changes as he elaborates.

- "I want everyone within shouting distance at all times, protecting the herd if there's trouble. Anyone who needs to leave the herd for any reason, talk to me before you do. Leave without permission, your payment will be reduced even if you come back. I provide no health benefits, life insurance, or things of that nature. Neither your families nor any surviving guards will be recieving restitution if anyone dies.

"This job pays a base amount of 150 GP per guard. If a majority of my sheep arrive in Ludd safely, I will give out bonus payment. I will also penalize your payments if the sheep are reduced below my insurance coverage. I want you all invested in this."

Oh great, you think to yourself. I just had to get the sort of employer Sister Geri warned me about. Oh well. Meanwhile, Jett is still speaking.

- "Since you are invested, perhaps you have Adventuring Skills that can help my sheep survive. Past guards for my herds have put some pretty fancy magical and mundane defenses in place. I can't do anything like that myself, but I welcome all attempts that succeed. Any Priests here able to give my sheep their Good God's blessings? Rogues who know how to set up wire and bell alarm systems? Bards who can soothe the herds with song? Anyone familiar with Nature, who can help keep our campsites away from predators and bad weather? Perhaps there's a Magic-user who can cast wards? Anyone here with other Skills?"

The adventurers shift nervously as he looks back and forth. You wonder if you have, and are willing to use, any Skills such as Master Jett describes.

- "Well, maybe if some or all of you watch the herd extra, it will still be fine. One person of great Endurance could volunteer for extra shifts, or maybe someone with more Charm than I have could encourage people. A lookout with good Perception would also be nice. Figure it out for yourselves what you want to do.

"Any treasure you find on the journey- loot from wandering monsters or bandits, for example- that's yours to keep. I'll be fine with the money I make from selling all the sheep that make it to the Ludd markets. Their Temple accepts charity, if you want to donate treasure there.

"Oh, and one more thing."

Master Jett gestures at the large warrior beside you, who steps forward.

- "You. What was your name again?"

- "Theo."

- "Thank you. Theo here is in charge of all of you as head guard. I'm giving him that duty because he showed initiave in coming to me directly for the job rather than picking up a tab. Any disputes among you, he can mediate them before you come to me. He's experienced, so I'll let him take a lead among you if we come up against a serious threat like a large monster or a group of smart bandits. I also expect Theo to guard me if anyone gets any ideas about trying to steal the sheep out from under my nose. That will not be happening to me the way it did to one of my neighbors! Theo's a barbarian, but I believe I can trust him. Do you think you can handle this extra responsibility, Theo?"

- "Sure. Whatever."

- "Good. You're not getting paid extra for it, by the way. But if you do a good job, you'll get the same bonus as everyone else. If any other guards stand out with their performance, you let me know. Alright, that's it. The job starts in the morning. You can all get yourselves settled now, make whatever final preparations you find necessary. I trust you all have your own tents and other sleeping gear. I have enough food and water for everyone, including the sheep. Do a good job, I might provide you references or give you more work in the future. Any questions?"

There are a few raised hands that Master Jett ignores.

- "If you've changed your minds about this job, talk to me before we go. We leave in the morning. See you all then."

Jett gives you and the other gathered guards one last grimace, then turns away. His wife, who you notice was standing behind him, looks at him nervously. She steps close to the farmer and whispers something you can't help but overhear.

- "Dear, are you sure you should be making this journey right now, with all these strange people?"

- "It'll be fine, honey. Our dreams depend on it. You'll see. Gods willing, everything will work out good."

You look around at the other adventurers beside you. None seem inspired by their job, or their employer. One or more may even be entertaining Evil thoughts regarding them. You look to Theo for reassurance, since he was put in charge.

"I don't know about this job. The boss seems like a prick."

- "He's no big deal. I've worked for worse."

Master Jett is portrayed by Tony Hale, formerly known as one of prime time TV's worst bosses ever. His real life spouse, Martel Thompson, is making a cameo as Jett's wife. Game veterans may know the reasons for this casting, and why I am playing up Jett's worst qualities a little. Please do not spoil things for everyone else before the payoff comes. Or at least read this entire post first.

Before Leaving Town posted:

You still have some misgivings about your new job, but you put them aside. This is the life you have chosen. You bid a brief farewell to Theo and the other adventurers, then return to Elmvale until the morning.

You spend the last evening in Elmvale checking over your gear and making sure it is in order. You also visit Sister Geri and your friend Karla, and fill them in on your new job. Sister Geri is very encouraging.

- "I knew you would get something, Renata. Congratulations. Remember to serve Master Jett to the best of your ability in accordance with the good of the realm you might still someday rule. I will pray for you."

You hug the old Monk again, practice a few katas with her, then say goodbye. Karla says a slightly different goodbye to you.

- "I'm surprised. There were so few jobs and so many applicants! I almost wanted you to stay here. Oh well, have fun, okay? I'll see you when you get back to Elmvale."

"Yes," you tell Karla. "I will see you later."

You eat dinner that evening in the Full Cup Inn. Steffan, your previous night's lover, is waiting tables, but he ignores you. It seems he was content with a mere one-night stand. A part of you wonders if you will meet a more interesting man during your coming journey, one more willing to committ to you. Theo, perhaps? He did seem a bit...

The large warrior is nowhere to be seen in the Inn, so you can't be sure right now what will happen when you see him again. You sigh to yourself and return to your room at the Temple, enjoying one last night in civilized accomodations for a while.

In the morning, you return to Master Jett's farm. The other guards are waiting there, including Theo. The large warrior nods at you in greeting, a slight smile on his lips. Several wagons and carts full of food and water are parked near the sheep pen, Master Jett's farmhands grouped around them. Master Jett himself exits his house soon after your arrival and clears his throat.

- "Glad you all came back. My wife made breakfast if you're interested. She'll be staying to tend my farm while we make our trip. Let me remind you what I said earlier. We are taking my sheep to Ludd, and the trip will take about three months of walking. You are to guard us. If you want to do anything special, let me know when we make our first night's camp.
I'll expect the six of you to keep within yelling distance. If we run into trouble, keep the flock safe. If we make it to Ludd without losing any sheep, I'll give you a bonus. The farmhands will see to the sheep, but you're responsible for keeping any predators away. Theo is in charge, so you follow his orders when I'm not around."

Theo is the oldest of the guards. The other guards, like yourself, look very inexperienced compared to him. You guess that it is the first job for them as well. There is very little left to say as Master Jett speaks to his farmhands and the entire band begins to move out.

You turn around and look back at Elmvale, and see a small group of people waving to you and others. They are the family members of the four young guards, watching their sons and daughters as they embark on their first adventure. You are pleased to see Sister Geri standing among these families. Also among the faces, you see your friend Karla, who gives you a wave. Guarding sheep may not be a grand start, but it's a beginning. You straighten your shoulders and follow the others out of town.

You Begin the Life of an Adventurer...

First night on the trail posted:

After the first day of your journey, you reflected on your progress thus far Your new life as an adventurer was quite simple. The shepherds looked after the sheep and all you had to do was follow along and keep an eye open. Theo was a good person to work under. As long as you followed his instructions, things went well.

After a long day of walking, you set up camp. Master Jett walks around the herd, nodding at everyone. The sheep baa at him and a few adventurers and farmhands wave. You recall something odd Master Jett said earlier and ask Theo about it.

"Do you know what Master Jett meant about his neighbor?"

- "He told me yesterday that his neighbor was knocked out and left for dead in the wilderness. He barely made it back to Elmvale alive. Robbers he hired as guards stole his sheep."

You are surprised. "Do you think someone might do that here?"

Theo says nothing.

And there's your answer for why Tony Hale was cast as Jett. Evil players can actually steal the sheep from him at the end of this journey. There are minimal spoilers for that in the canon game before it happens- it was an interesting surprise. I'll talk more about game Morality later. For now, let's just say the decision to rob Jett or not is a great Start of Darkness for Evil LH players Lucid wrote in. It's the first major Morality decision in the game. We'll give it the proper address at the time it arrives. Please use your best judgement on spoilers before then.

Matters of more immediate importance... posted:

Theo says nothing further regarding the possibility of someone robbing Jett. You put the idea out of your mind. It is a long way to Ludd and you have other things to concern you. The herd of sheep you must defend, for starters.

Whether these sheep are to be sold by Master Jett or some unknown robber, they won't make money if they can't be protected. Master Jett mentioned several ways to protect them earlier. You decide to-

1. Cast wards over the sheep to alert you to danger. Needs 40 Magic- will succeed.

2. Try to convince the shepherds and other guards to be extra diligent on this trip. Needs 45 Charm- will fail.

3. Take extra shifts to guard the sheep at night. Needs 40 Endurance- will fail.

4. Set alarm-sounding traps around the camp each night. Needs 40 Devices, fail.

5. Help choose camp sites based on places where natural predators are not likely to be. Needs 40 Nature, fail.

6. Do nothing special for the sheep. Automatic fail.

Hidden Options exist for Priests and Bards as detailed above.

Ok, now we need to pass a check to help the Sheep flock and help earn the full bonus Master Jett mentioned. We only need one Success here. The flock's health starts at 5000 but it can go down very quickly. We have only one way of helping the Sheep at this point thanks to our stats. This post is long enough already, so I'm pausing before I cast our Magic. If anyone would prefer I show off a failure instead (I'm doing the Charm one regardless, writing a rousing speech is fun and if we can still cast Magic after nobody listens, that's great comedy), please speak up before the next update. You may consider this your last call to speak if you want things to proceed that way. I'll proceed per majority's best interest. It is also ok to discuss other aspects of this quest between updates, keeping spoilers minimal. We won't make the decision to rob Jett or not until the proper time.

Next update- tentatively around 1700 CST. Stats will be updated then.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Magic our way through.

• Locked thread