Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

KKKLIP ART posted:

Fields picked UGA

I remember when PSU had him first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
$ talks.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Barring any drastic changes, UGA is going to be adding one gigantic OL to the 2018 class at some point.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Eason is totally going to transfer.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Doronin posted:

Barring any drastic changes, UGA is going to be adding one gigantic OL to the 2018 class at some point.

I don't really follow what doesn't pop up in our SBNation or the Atlanta Journal Constitution, so go on 🤔🤔

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

vyst posted:

Eason is totally going to transfer.

As he should having the starting job stolen by injury and a 5* #1 in the country coming in behind him. See you at a Big 10 or CUSA school soon Eason! Wouldn't it be hilarious if Richt convinced him to come down to Miami LOLOLOLOLOL

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game

KKKLIP ART posted:

I don't really follow what doesn't pop up in our SBNation or the Atlanta Journal Constitution, so go on 🤔🤔

Salyer and Hill

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=OG

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

More like https://247sports.com/Player/Daniel-Faalele-46037283

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Eason should have picked UF :mad:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

Eason should have picked UF :mad:

Why would he want to come throw unblocked screens on 3rd and long?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LeeMajors posted:

Why would he want to come throw unblocked screens on 3rd and long?

I was just telling a friend of mine that screen passes make me feel physically ill.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
[quote="“Nur_Neerg”" post="“477141593”"]
More like https://247sports.com/Player/Daniel-Faalele-46037283
[/quote]

That is a big dude dang

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

I was just telling a friend of mine that screen passes make me feel physically ill.

Nuss seems to call them without rhyme, reason, or design. An unblocked screen run into 4 or 5 defenders for 1 yard serves literally no purpose other than wasting a play.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

Nuss seems to call them without rhyme, reason, or design. An unblocked screen run into 4 or 5 defenders for 1 yard serves literally no purpose other than wasting a play.

I quite seriously do not understand the unblocked WR screen, and it happens quite a bit. I mean, I can get it if you have a single guy split wide on one side of the field who's getting a 12 yard cushion because he's fast. Maybe that gets you 5 yards, or maybe you even spring it for a chunk if the WR breaks a tackle and the defense is slow to rally to that part of the field. But that doesn't seem to be a requirement to call that play for a lot of teams.

Some coaches seem so happy to gain 2 yards in the best case scenario on a passing play, I don't understand.

e: Oh poo poo I thought this was the GDT, not the recruiting thread. On topic I predict that Missouri will not have a good class. Because I like to go out on a limb like that.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Grittybeard posted:

I quite seriously do not understand the unblocked WR screen, and it happens quite a bit. I mean, I can get it if you have a single guy split wide on one side of the field who's getting a 12 yard cushion because he's fast. Maybe that gets you 5 yards, or maybe you even spring it for a chunk if the WR breaks a tackle and the defense is slow to rally to that part of the field. But that doesn't seem to be a requirement to call that play for a lot of teams.

Some coaches seem so happy to gain 2 yards in the best case scenario on a passing play, I don't understand.

e: Oh poo poo I thought this was the GDT, not the recruiting thread. On topic I predict that Missouri will not have a good class. Because I like to go out on a limb like that.

It's pretty hilarious that the best in-state recruiting class in well over a decade gets to see this Mizzou team and coaching staff. Another 5 years in the wilderness unless they make a homerun hire.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

The Notorious ZSB posted:

As he should having the starting job stolen by injury and a 5* #1 in the country coming in behind him. See you at a Big 10 or CUSA school soon Eason! Wouldn't it be hilarious if Richt convinced him to come down to Miami LOLOLOLOLOL

AFAIK every Miami fan thinks this will happen, and every Rutgers fan thinks it happens and Sitkowski (yeah he is a backup for IMG, I don't care) comes home.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Notorious ZSB posted:

He should legit do that, Miami's QB is loving awful

Grittybeard posted:

I think it's usually a "check with me" thing where the QB has the option to audible to it if the other team is playing way off and it looks like it could go for decent YAC but that probably varies from school to school

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 11, 2017

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Kim Jong Il posted:

AFAIK every Miami fan thinks this will happen, and every Rutgers fan thinks it happens and Sitkowski (yeah he is a backup for IMG, I don't care) comes home.

I kinda hope we don't get Sitkowski. He's looked real bad at Rutgers. The uncle of Brian Hightower and a former cane player is on one of the sites, and apparently he's not well liked at IMG.

Also, I don't think Eason comes to Miami. Rosier is streaky as gently caress, but he's way better than he was before. When Richt first came to Miami, he outright told him "you will never play for me". Dude managed to change his mind. Nkosi Perry also has the potential to be really good once he matures a bit.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If Eason wants to transfer, I think Miami would be a perfectly fine place for him to go.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dilber posted:

Nkosi Perry also has the potential to be really good once he matures a bit.

also once he's no longer built out of pipe cleaners and chop sticks

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Dorian Hardy (4* PSU DE commit) got in a fight with one of his assistant coaches. He plays for Paramus Catholic, which is one of those HS programs that recruits a lot of the nearby high-DI talent and is universally loathed as a result. They're always a circus of drama.

Sounds like Hardy was the instigator, and PSU is going to pull his ship. He already had a bad rep. Guys with this profile usually end up at Temple, or JUCO for 2 years before the SEC.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

That seems like a very, very good deduction :)

Doronin fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 13, 2017

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Kim Jong Il posted:

Dorian Hardy (4* PSU DE commit) got in a fight with one of his assistant coaches. He plays for Paramus Catholic, which is one of those HS programs that recruits a lot of the nearby high-DI talent and is universally loathed as a result. They're always a circus of drama.

Sounds like Hardy was the instigator, and PSU is going to pull his ship. He already had a bad rep. Guys with this profile usually end up at Temple, or JUCO for 2 years before the SEC.

aaaaand his scholarship got pulled

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Kim Jong Il posted:

Interesting. I'm going to look into that one. Haven't heard anything to indicate the 'Canes have cooled on him or that he's wavering at all. And Art genuinely does not care about a depth chart.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn gets a commit from 4* DT Coynis Miller, highly coveted.

I hear some people saying Joey Gatewood is having an impressive season and quieting some of those "not a real QB" doubts but they're all Auburn partisans so was curious if the folks who know what they're talking about agree.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Well we won something today

4-star cornerback D’Shawn Jamison chooses Texas over TCU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I hear some people saying Joey Gatewood is having an impressive season and quieting some of those "not a real QB" doubts but they're all Auburn partisans so was curious if the folks who know what they're talking about agree.

He's doing ok. Not exactly setting the woods on fire, but having a decent year statistically and not turning the ball over. Bartram Trail is very likely headed to the 7A playoffs again with a 5-2 overall record so far. But he still prefers to run first, and hasn't developed or improved his throwing motion or footwork. I still think he needs to switch positions, because he's a pretty awesome open field runner at his size and athletic as hell.

His team is playing Cocoa, who is undefeated, this Friday. I think how he performs against them will say a lot.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

So far Herman and crew appear to be absolutely crushing it in recruiting. If he can keep this up and pull in a series of top 5 classes, I don't even think anything else has to improve for us to be in contention for conference championships/playoff bids annually. Like if we had tOSU level talent and depth all over the field, we'd be undefeated right now and likely to go 10-2 at worst, with no improvement in the coaching/play calling required. After Mack had 4 years of stellar recruiting to stack the roster from top to bottom, he rattled off 9 consecutive seasons with 10+ wins, every one of them with Greg Davis running the offense.

If Tim Beck is a key part of this recruiting magic and he can help sustain it, maybe we can let him be our new Greg Davis for a while. That's exactly what he was at tOSU in 2016. The coordinator who had the fans pulling out their hair in frustration as the team went 11-1.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

I've heard he's been not very good as a player so far, which makes perfect sense given his complete inexperience, but I was hoping he'd just be a savant and immediately be choke slamming defensive linemen left and right

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Kim Jong Il posted:

This is why PSU needs to be disbanded. Disgusting fans and culture of supremacy.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thermos H Christ posted:

So far Herman and crew appear to be absolutely crushing it in recruiting. If he can keep this up and pull in a series of top 5 classes, I don't even think anything else has to improve for us to be in contention for conference championships/playoff bids annually. Like if we had tOSU level talent and depth all over the field, we'd be undefeated right now and likely to go 10-2 at worst, with no improvement in the coaching/play calling required. After Mack had 4 years of stellar recruiting to stack the roster from top to bottom, he rattled off 9 consecutive seasons with 10+ wins, every one of them with Greg Davis running the offense.

If Tim Beck is a key part of this recruiting magic and he can help sustain it, maybe we can let him be our new Greg Davis for a while. That's exactly what he was at tOSU in 2016. The coordinator who had the fans pulling out their hair in frustration as the team went 11-1.

loving christ. Since your last conference championship, national recruiting rankings:

2010 - #3
2011 - #3
2012 - #2
2013 - #24 (Mack Brown's final season)
2014 - #20 (Charlie Strong's short class)
2015 - #12
2016 - #11
2017 - #31 (Tom Herman's short class)
Currently #4

Recruiting numbers don't mean poo poo if your coaching staff sucks. It obviously didn't work between 2010 and 2014, and your recruiting has never been out of the top of the nation.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

This is why PSU needs to be disbanded. Disgusting fans and culture of supremacy.

Huh? I'm a Rutgers fan and hate PSU. I was talking about NJ kids with legal problems, Temple has signed a lot of them.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I think it might be some kind of Jewish joke, but I dunno

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kayakyakr posted:

loving christ. Since your last conference championship, national recruiting rankings:

2010 - #3
2011 - #3
2012 - #2
2013 - #24 (Mack Brown's final season)
2014 - #20 (Charlie Strong's short class)
2015 - #12
2016 - #11
2017 - #31 (Tom Herman's short class)
Currently #4

Recruiting numbers don't mean poo poo if your coaching staff sucks. It obviously didn't work between 2010 and 2014, and your recruiting has never been out of the top of the nation.

I agree coaches that suck can't do anything with big time recruits. Look at Tennessee. Mack's brain was irreparably broken after 2009 and then Charlie Strong showed up and kicked everybody out.

Our average rank over the last 4 years is 18.5, even before accounting for all the attrition (25% of our 2016 class is gone). I know it's more complex than this, but generally top 5 is preferable to the lower end of the top 20. Obviously there are teams out there doing more with less, but maybe we could do enough with more.

Our offense in 2005 wasn't great because a Greg Davis was a brilliant and innovative coordinator, it was great because it had Vince Young behind an o-line stocked with NFL talent.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/richardg813/status/921482640816930816

this is why Mac is gonna get another year

The class next year is insane

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

https://twitter.com/richardg813/status/921482640816930816

this is why Mac is gonna get another year

The class next year is insane

Chip Kelly gonna have a solid foundation.

[quote="“Nissin Cup Nudist”" post="“477115942”"]
I remember when PSU had him first
[/quote]

Penn State took a lot of firsts.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Cook picks UGA to run the d*ng ball at

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Several in the 18 class insist a coaching change won't make a difference to them

https://twitter.com/corral_matt/status/924665177739370496

https://twitter.com/randy_knows/status/924671776185114624

K

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
So yep, Art Sitkowski did indeed flip to Rutgers. He's pretty excited. Told me they never stopped recruiting him and it just felt right, and an opportunity to get on the field faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Also, pretty sure it's mutual. He's done real bad at IMG, and was bad before that.

• Locked thread