Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Regrettable posted:

Uh, so the surface area is 268% the size of the US but using the US population density you get 1/3 of the population of the US? I haven't been awake for very long so maybe I'm reading this incorrectly.

861,000,000 total
86,100,000 players

decimal points count I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Ah, thanks

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

hot balls man no homo posted:

So what is there to look forward to between now and the holiday livestream? All I can really see them doing is stalling 3.0 for a few more weeks, every week. Maybe a high profile quitter? A check to Citcon vendors bouncing? Maybe some low-level legal action?

Derek has predicted mass layoffs the past 2 New Years so you could probably wait for him to do that again and then watch everyone make fun of him in January again.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Goredema posted:

If they're desperate for cash, really desperate, they should do this:

1. Chris announces that with the development of Squadron 42 more than halfway done, he's decided that the Cutlass Black is now "Release Ready". He explains that it means that the Cutlass is now at the level he wants it to be at for the full release of the game.
2. Since it's "Release Ready" now, he explains that in a week or so, they're going to adjust the Cutlass game package to the price it will be at retail when the game releases. Eventually they'll be doing this with all the ships, as each one gets the the "Release Ready" level of polish.
3. To celebrate, they run a countdown on the package page, and show some Cutlass videos on ATV that week. No big sales push here. IN fact, they play it down a bit.
4. The countdown timer wraps up, and they take down the Cutlass game package from the store.
5. A few days later, with no announcement or fanfare, they put the Cutlass game package back up. It has now doubled in price.
6. CIG does their best to give vague non-answers to the questions this raises, only saying vague stuff like "we've made clear that the ships will cost more in game" and "we have been selling the game packages at a discount to pre-release backers."
7. A couple weeks later, Chris announces that the Constellation is now "Release Ready". A countdown timer appears on the Constellation game package page.
8. The true believers re-re-re-re-re-re-finance their house so they can buy up Constellations while they're still a bargain.

I actually feel a little disgusted with myself for having spelled that out... :geno:

This plan is so devious, it's almost stimperical

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

McGiggins posted:

So none of the genteel citizens are upset that the con they went to was a literal waste of time in terms of game development showcasing?

Like, they paid more in tickets, accommodation and flights than it would have taken to buy the magic ssd (and get a free copy of the game) just to get the chance to play Willy Wonka and the Crobbler Factory with the golden tickets, didn't get any solid info on the game (as I understand it) and instead got to listen to theory crafting about the game which they see in the ATV stuff already?

MoMA, defend this!

Personally, I just think you're being a travel locust.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Sabreseven posted:

gently caress, what is wrong with these people? :cry:

Stockholm Star Citizen Syndrome

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Golli posted:

861,000,000 total
86,100,000 players

decimal points count I guess

So what voodoo technology will be handling the processing requirements for this incredibly large number of AI NPC's? Will there be causality? Will player 1 and player 2 see the same action by NPC A? Will this information pass between instances if the two players are on different servers? Just wondering is all.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

gently caress that box was so cringy. This Intel NVM SSD is a perfect match for Star Citizen backers.

BTW: is there a more technical article somewhere regarding what exactly Intel hosed up with this? If I understand the general implication of what they tried to do, it's actually a hybrid SSD, with a certain amount of RAM that acts as a cache, similar to how hybrid HDDs worked. While this is possible nowadays with RamCaches, most of them live in user space and thus there is a problem regarding power loss/OS crash if cache and SSD are not in sync...you're cached data is basically hosed. Intel - if I understand them correctly - implemented this on hardware level, so that it is still able to sync cache and SSD if the OS crashes or - if the capacitors allow it - power is lost.

How did they gently caress this up so it is slower than "normal" NVM SSDs?

It's more that they were trying to turn Xpoint, a different type of non-volatile memory than flash, into a product that could be used as two different things:
1) giant amounts of (admittedly somewhat slower) main memory that would not have to be continuously refreshed to retain data (which has to be done to regular DRAM).
or
2) ridiculously fast storage.

The idea was that you could mix Optane memory DIMMs with regular DRAM DIMMs and the memory controller hardware would autodetect and handle the different types of memory in a proper way without the customer having to do much.

Intel originally claimed on slides that it would be 1000 times as fast as flash, with 1000 times the durability of flash and about 10 times the density of DRAM.
Later slides suddenly showed it as 10 times as fast as flash, with 3 times the durability of flash and 4 times the density of DRAM.
Actual products seem to have trouble reaching even that level of durability, though, which makes it less interesting for potential customers. They also dropped all mentions of the DIMM versions, which could not possibly work for any meaningful length of time at current levels of durability, given how much more wear they would suffer from writes compared to an SSD.

As of right now, it does have some advantages in specific cases, such as latency and being able to address far smaller writes than flash, meaning you don't have to erase and rewrite an entire block like you would on flash when you only want to change parts of the data. It's rather niche, though.

Hopefully, in a few years it will work they way they wanted it to, but Intel really just jumped the gun and promised the world while the product was nowhere near ready to fulfill said promises. Micron did the smart thing and have not announced any products, probably because they know it's not ready to go yet.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

monkeytek posted:

So what voodoo technology will be handling the processing requirements for this incredibly large number of AI NPC's? Will there be causality? Will player 1 and player 2 see the same action by NPC A? Will this information pass between instances if the two players are on different servers? Just wondering is all.

Bro, did you even watch Chris' presentation?! It's real! It's real!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bofast posted:

Hopefully, in a few years it will work they way they wanted it to, but Intel really just jumped the gun and promised the world while the product was nowhere near ready to fulfill said promises. Micron did the smart thing and have not announced any products, probably because they know it's not ready to go yet.

Marketing hosed research again.

Xpoint is one of those things that will be great once the manufacturing is geared up for it and once we have an accurate idea of how it actually performs in the real world, but by that time it'll be so damned standard that it won't be a distinct flavor of NAND, it'll just be NAND. Like the huge fight we had between CMOS and TTL that nobody without concurrent knee pain will remember.

What's more important is Intel is shovelling commercial grade hardware at a games company known for shilling future promises. It's literally a marriage made in heaven.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Are those urinals? There’s no walls between them? Gross.

In my experience, it's not entirely uncommon in men's bathrooms. It's even worse when there's only one 2-3 meter long urinal everyone has to share.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

This is one of my favorite demonstrations of draw order problems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2haKPefO3E&t=180s

That's hilarious

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Beet Wagon posted:

Hahahaha like holy gently caress how do you even post this poo poo with a straight face

Star Citizen Then To Now 3.0 an emotional journey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHKnzOKMT08

:negative:

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Adult men crying over a non-existent video game.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
I'm not sure what community they're talking about? All I've seen are fanboys arguing with fanboys about what's going to be in their imaginary game and talking non-stop about Derek Smart's genitalia. Is there some niche, non-toxic sector of the SC community that I'm missing?

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Rad Russian posted:

define adultness

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Bofast posted:

It's more that they were trying to turn Xpoint, a different type of non-volatile memory than flash, into a product that could be used as two different things:
1) giant amounts of (admittedly somewhat slower) main memory that would not have to be continuously refreshed to retain data (which has to be done to regular DRAM).
or
2) ridiculously fast storage.

The idea was that you could mix Optane memory DIMMs with regular DRAM DIMMs and the memory controller hardware would autodetect and handle the different types of memory in a proper way without the customer having to do much.

Intel originally claimed on slides that it would be 1000 times as fast as flash, with 1000 times the durability of flash and about 10 times the density of DRAM.
Later slides suddenly showed it as 10 times as fast as flash, with 3 times the durability of flash and 4 times the density of DRAM.
Actual products seem to have trouble reaching even that level of durability, though, which makes it less interesting for potential customers. They also dropped all mentions of the DIMM versions, which could not possibly work for any meaningful length of time at current levels of durability, given how much more wear they would suffer from writes compared to an SSD.

As of right now, it does have some advantages in specific cases, such as latency and being able to address far smaller writes than flash, meaning you don't have to erase and rewrite an entire block like you would on flash when you only want to change parts of the data. It's rather niche, though.

Personally I might get some at some point to put my swap file on...
But its a really low priority.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

I'm not saying these guys can ultimately pull it off, but this is what actual open development looks like. Example: Netcode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeZtqoydXpc

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

I hope nobody lives near these fuckers when Star Citizen final implodes... and if you do live near them, I hope these fuckers don't have access to weapons...

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

AutismVaccine posted:

define adultness

People who do not enjoy anime or superhero movies.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

MinorInconvenience posted:

I hope nobody lives near these fuckers when Star Citizen final implodes... and if you do live near them, I hope these fuckers don't have access to weapons...

On the upside, it is statistically far more likely that a) They are loners to begin with (so no one in their near vicinity to hurt) and b) That they'd hurt themselves with said weapons before they even made it out the door.

fritzgryphon
Jul 15, 2017

by Lowtax

MinorInconvenience posted:

I'm sure when it does implode SC will instantly be old hat compared to their new fad, and they won't skip a beat.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

fritzgryphon posted:

I'm sure when it does implode SC will instantly be old hat compared to their new fad, and they won't skip a beat.

Plus this - they won't ever admit to defeat. Even if Crobblers would literally run off to some banana republic with most of the cash, and write a 'gently caress YOU GOT MINE' letter, they'd still be rationalizing blowing 10,000$ or so with: "You know what...it was still an unforgettable experience, that I'm proud to have PLEDGED to!" and gloss over the fact they could've experienced p much the same without spending a penny.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
This basically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGex0kLgNok

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

fritzgryphon posted:

A Star Citizen's powers of delusion are not isolated to Star Citizen. They'll just stroll right along into to the next tar pit confidence scam like nothing ever happened.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

CrazyLoon posted:

Plus this - they won't ever admit to defeat. Even if Crobblers would literally run off to some banana republic with most of the cash, and write a 'gently caress YOU GOT MINE' letter, they'd still be rationalizing blowing 10,000$ or so with: "You know what...it was still an unforgettable experience, that I'm proud to have PLEDGED to!" and gloss over the fact they could've experienced p much the same without spending a penny.

You're forgetting the part where they feel sorry for all the doubters, the people focusing on all the negativity, the ones that can't dream big. The goons. What, with our four-thousand dollars that we didn't spend on space ships. Oh woe is us.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Toops posted:

People who do not enjoy anime or superhero movies.

gently caress adultness (sic) then.

I just watched the new Thor and holy gently caress was that fun!

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 2, 2017

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

CrazyLoon posted:

They've always hedged their bets by saying things like "Don't pledge money you're not willing to lose" and "You don't understand crowd funding, you're backing an idea, and there are no guarantees!" If you notice, nobody, not even the whitest of knights, will claim that Star Citizen will be delivered as promised. In a way, they spend most of their posting time talking about how SC won't become this poo poo CR spouts, and how that's fine. I've even seen them say "If this all goes under and we don't get a game, I'll be upset but I wouldn't trade this experience for anything."

For whatever reason, they derive immense pleasure from being a financial host for the virus of Chris Robert's stillborn ideas. I mean hey, it's their money. But I'll be damned if I'm not gonna ridicule them for it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

I've got chills, I'm hysterical, I'm cryin'

Is it a Star Citizen video or a really bad fever? Who knows

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Tarquinn posted:

gently caress adultness (sic) then.

I just watched the new Thor and holy gently caress was that fun!

Foo Diddley posted:

I've got chills, I'm hysterical, I'm cryin'

Is it a Star Citizen video or a really bad fever? Who knows

The infantilization of society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSKH7QI6CnE

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Rad Russian posted:

Well, when laughing is excusable.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

We just need to find common ground with Shitizens. For example, both sides can agree that the progress that has been made from the original concepts to the current reality in 5 years IS incredible.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

We just need to find common ground with Shitizens. For example, both sides can agree that the progress that has been made from the original concepts to the current reality in 5 years IS incredible.

Almost beyond belief.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

It's definitely something I'd be crying about if I had money in this shitshow.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
You logged into the forums
Like you were walking onto a yacht
Your signature begging not to quote
All the clowns who you had blocked

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

thatguy posted:

You logged into the forums
Like you were walking onto a yacht
Your signature begging not to quote
All the clowns who you had blocked

You are so vain, you probably think this thread is about you.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Hi everyone enjoy a blast from the past

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=va5A_fx3mb4

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Colostomy Bag posted:

NPC genocide is the inevitable consequence of the success of Star Citizen.

Never really thought a out that, but if there are only 9m NPC's and 1M players the game world would be devoid of NPC's in less than a day upon launch...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritzgryphon
Jul 15, 2017

by Lowtax
Topical GDC vid

"We did final art for all our spaceships... ended up throwing it all away."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LTtr45y7P0&t=746s