Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Another year, another Sonic Cafe I have to go to.

The Sonic Forces inspired menu is kinda lackluster compared to the 25th anniversary cafe IMO. Let's check out the menu:

Food

Sonic's Blue Boost Curry - It's sky blue curry with a gold onion rIng for garnish. have no idea if the blue is just food coloring or if it tastes any different and I never will.

Tails's Kitsune Udon - Because he's a fox. Clever. I might try this one, though I wonder how good udon from a sweets buffet cafe would be.

Eggman Empire's Scotch Egg - The usual Eggman egg dish. Never heard of a scotch egg before, but according to google it's a hard boiled egg wrapped in sausage meat and crumbs and fried? Sure, why not? The hard boiled egg has the Eggman Empire symbol from Forces on it.

Avatar's Customize Pancakes - Pancakes that you can "customize" just like the avatar with fruit, whipped cream, chocolate, sprinkles, and/or what I'm assuming is maple syrup. If they're anything like the Sonic Mania pancakes I had last year they're minuscule. Looks good though!

Infinite's Apricot Pudding - wait what

Drinks:

Classic Sonic's Sonic Speed Soda - Not sure what flavor soda it is, but it looks like it has balls of some sort at the bottom. Maybe it's boba? Candy?

Knuckles's Captain Drink - Looks like something with grenadine or cherry liqueur in it. There's candy of some sort at the bottom. They look like tiny gum balls to me but that's unlikely.

Shadow's Ultimate Drink - A coke float with cherries on top.

Chaos's Jelly Cider - My boy Chaos gets a better showing here than in the game. It's most likely cider (not apple cider, but rather the Japanese soda flavor. Think ramune) with blue stuff (jelly?).

Avatar's Pink Customize Drink - Strawberry milk and ice cream with sprinkles to "customize" it. Guaranteed to be more enjoyable than the avatar's gameplay.

Avatar's Green Customize Drink - Some kind of green soda (I'm betting a million dollars it's melon because Japan) with yellow pop rocks you can add to it. Sounds a bit like the Tails drink I had last year, except that was pineapple soda and served in a lab beaker and thus a billion ines cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
^^^^ Avatars getting their own food is weird to me, cause there shouldn't really be a "theme" for a customizable character, but letting people customize it is a nice touch

mycot posted:

When Windwaker got a 40/40.

I love Windwaker but come on man.

No that score is actually correct.

The FF13-2 and SS scores though, lol

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

What’s wrong with Nintendogs? It’s perfectly fine for what it is.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Nintendogs is good and wholesome and scotch eggs are amazing

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Scotch eggs are great, but a freshly made one should have a soft boiled egg for a truly flavoursome and gooey experience, and the whole thing coated in meat and breadcrumbs then deep fried to order, not premade.

Regular premade scotch eggs are a common snack in the UK, but fresh made ones are in a class of their own.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Ventana posted:

^^^^ Avatars getting their own food is weird to me, cause there shouldn't really be a "theme" for a customizable character, but letting people customize it is a nice touch

No that score is actually correct.

The FF13-2 and SS scores though, lol

Why does everyone hate Skyward Sword that game was loving rad.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I hear the switch already has a perfectly good game where you roll into a ball, collect rings, and earning speed is a reward for clever platforming
It's called Mario Odyssey

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's one of those games that I enjoy watching playthroughs for, but my own play experience of it was annoying as poo poo becaue my brain just couldn't grock onto the motion controls.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

40/40 is supposed to mean perfect. Is skyward sword a perfect game? loving no

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

40/40 is supposed to mean perfect. Is skyward sword a perfect game? loving no

Famitsu does not use 40/40 as perfect. It means all four reviewers who reviewed the game gave it the highest score the magazine offers. That's it. There is absolutely nothing in anything Famitsu which suggests they use 10 to mean "a flawless game" and the actual reviews don't back that up.

39/40 for example means 3 reviewers gave it a 10 and one gave it a 9. That does not mean those three reviewers called it perfect and nobody takes 39/40 as '3/4th perfect!' It's just a weird thing where people know it's a Japanese magazine and misunderstand its review system.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It was literally an unfinished game

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Not a Children posted:

Really, how?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm probably one of the biggest Skyward Sword apologist/defenders in SA's population, and even I can acknowledge that it had flaws enough that it shouldn't be getting consistent 10s. It's great but I wouldn't be giving it a 10. The Faron Woods note collectathon segment alone should bring it down a point.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Not a Children posted:

Whether or not this is true I don't think this is the primary beef people have with Skyward Sword

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Not a Children posted:

Wind Waker is the one that was clearly unfinished. I still like it more than Skyward Sword though but that’s not a bad game either.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

It's good I personally like Dragon Dance the second act of that stage better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0LjCflnDok

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/926121932625293313

Okay, that got me good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ImpAtom posted:

Famitsu does not use 40/40 as perfect. It means all four reviewers who reviewed the game gave it the highest score the magazine offers. That's it. There is absolutely nothing in anything Famitsu which suggests they use 10 to mean "a flawless game" and the actual reviews don't back that up.

39/40 for example means 3 reviewers gave it a 10 and one gave it a 9. That does not mean those three reviewers called it perfect and nobody takes 39/40 as '3/4th perfect!' It's just a weird thing where people know it's a Japanese magazine and misunderstand its review system.

Yes, it means all of them gave it a perfect score

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Yes, it means all of them gave it a perfect score

There is a difference between "highest score" and "literal perfection." The complete inability of people to understand this is kind of bewildering and pretty much exclusive to video game players for some reason.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I think you can still make the argument that doling out the "highest possible score available" to SS is silly. I don't think it really matters if 40/40 (or 4 straight 10s) is "perfect game" or "we can't recommend this game higher in our eyes", SS has a lot of lacking parts

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I mean, critiquing a reviewer's subjective opinion of a game is already kind of silly but we're in this death spiral of an argument anyways so we might as well ride it out

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zelder posted:

I mean, critiquing a reviewer's subjective opinion of a game is already kind of silly but we're in this death spiral of an argument anyways so we might as well ride it out

I mean I'm not defending Famitsu here in particular but "this game has a flaw, ergo it doesn't deserve the highest score' is a nonsense argument. Nobody who reviews movies, books, music, electronics or anything else uses the highest score hand-in-hand with genuine perfection or even a claim of no flaws. Otherwise it would be impossible for a highest score to exist. It's used as a boring gotcha argument by video game fans who want a way to write off positivity of any sort without actually having to construction an argument against the points being made by the writer. Going "They gave it a 40/40, gently caress them" is meaningless without actually reading what was written about the game. (Which, since it's Famtisu, is probably cheap fluffy trash but that's neither here nor there.)

The same goes for negativity too where you see the opposite crowd freaking out about a 9/10 because 'the flaw wasn't that serious!!" though that one at least exists outside of video game realms more commonly because fanboys gonna fanboy.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

What gets me is how game reviewers and consumers alike don't seem to understand the concept of averages.

This game was below average and just a complete waste of time and energy. 6/10. That's still an above average score you goob.

This is why I generally don't give a gently caress about game reviews because they are meaningless most of the time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

What gets me is how game reviewers and consumers alike don't seem to understand the concept of averages.

This game was below average and just a complete waste of time and energy. 6/10. That's still an above average score you goob.

This is why I generally don't give a gently caress about game reviews because they are meaningless most of the time.

They absolutely do understand averages. They are not using that specific rating system. For good or ill video games have pretty firmly tied themselves to the "grade school" grading system, likely because early game reviews used A/B/C/D/F or 5-1 (which is basically the same) scoring systems. It's also basically impossible to move away from because review aggregators like Metacritic (which are absurdly important to views and hits) canonized that system so even if you want to use 1-10 fully, a 5 in your system will count as an extremely bad score and not an average score.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
It's valid to critique people who don't know the ins and outs of a review system and make judgments about said reviews not knowing the standards, that's ignorance and isn't a big deal since that (usually) can be remedied.

On the other hand, calling it a "nonsense argument" is pretty unfair when the system generally A. Doesn't give readers much room to understand every different reviewing scale, B. intentionally mimics a socially/academically established scale of accuracy where - in fact - a 10 out of 10 (usually) means no mistakes were made, and C. lumps all said genericized rating scales together to aggregate scores and weigh them (this is mostly a specific problem to metacritic/gamerankings than reviewers themselves tbf). It's entirely reasonable for people quickly take in this information when it's loosely presented in this format, and not take in what the reviews actually say or mean or value, but rather to translate those numbers into their own personal values. It's incorrect and one of the several problems with the modern video game review systems we have now, but in a world that streamlines information everywhere, it does make a little sense how this comes about. It's more laziness than nonsense.

It's fair to disagree with a reviewer, even if you have different standards from them, because it's supposed to invite conversation and personal values. Otherwise the process would be entirely pointless and is basically what my favorite piece on game reviews talks about. I can admit there is laziness on my own part for not looking up their reviews (finding a translation isn't easy), but again I wouldn't call that laziness "nonsense".

My own values of what a 10/10 game is different from Famitsu's, so I don't think it's that weird for me to call out that I disagree with their notion even when provided little information (given I already knew some of their other write-ups in games).

VVVVVV This guy gets it

Ventana fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 2, 2017

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Everyone knows that Windwaker is 41/40 anyways.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ventana posted:

It's entirely reasonable for people quickly take in this information when it's loosely presented in this format, and not take in what the reviews actually say or mean or value, but rather to translate those numbers into their own personal values.

No it isn't. It is in fact not reasonable at all.

"They said this game was perfect and had not flaws!" "No they didn't." "Well, I made a snap judgement that they said that and I'm going to pretend they did."

If you're too lazy to actually look at the argument someone is making, it's sort of weird to get angry at them about it. I'm comfortable calling that nonsense because it is. It isn't even disagreeing with a review, it's disagreeing with what you imagined the review said. And I've zero doubt Famitsu's reviews were mindlessly fawning trash because they pretty much always are, but it's tiresome as poo poo to see the same poo poo trotted out time and time again from people who are more interested in being angry than anything else.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 2, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'm curious, does anyone know where to find a link to the SS famitsu review? I'm not finding the actual text on Google

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ImpAtom posted:

No it isn't. It is in fact not reasonable at all.

"They said this game was perfect and had not flaws!" "No they didn't." "Well, I made a snap judgement that they said that and I'm going to pretend they did."

If you're too lazy to actually look at the argument someone is making, it's sort of weird to get angry at them about it. I'm comfortable calling that nonsense because it is. It isn't even disagreeing with a review, it's disagreeing with what you imagined the review said. And I've zero doubt Famitsu's reviews were mindlessly fawning trash because they pretty much always are, but it's tiresome as poo poo to see the same poo poo trotted out time and time again from people who are more interested in being angry than anything else.

I think you're mistakenly reading anger in my disagreements. Just because I'm saying I don't agree with Famitsu's scoring system, doesn't mean I'm being angry about it.

You're also putting words in my mouth with the strawman conversation there. In that post you quoted, I didn't say at all Famitsu wasn't acknowledging flaws. I was implying that I value the flaws differently than they do. Which....is the point?

Making inferences from little information is entirely human and natural. That is why I don't think it's unreasonable for people, nowadays, to make quick judgments. Otherwise I'd just get mad at every twitter opinion. This is partly addressed in that article as well; not everyone is inclined to think critically. People often are like this not just because it's scary to challenge one's own values, or because of inherit ability to think deeply, but also because it's slower. That's the part I was mostly addressing and saying wasn't nonsensical. It'd be nonsensical to, in the face of definitive contradictory evidence, ignore it and hold my view as correct. Which uh is not happening or what I'm trying to imply.

What I should clarify in that post above is that it seems like my values are different from Famitsu's. And I can only inference that from their other scores and reading their previous write ups on other games which never sat well with me. I'm perfectly willing to update that once I get more specific information on their review but idk that doesn't seem so crazy to me? Not trying to be obstinate like you seem to imply :shrug:

As for other people getting angry (if they are, idk), then yeah that'd be dumb. People shouldn't be angry at a score just because it means something differently to people.

Zelder posted:

I'm curious, does anyone know where to find a link to the SS famitsu review? I'm not finding the actual text on Google

I found this on neogaf, but one poster replied that it might be skyrim so idk. All moonspeak to me

someone supposedly did a google translate, so of course I can't verify or claim good accuracy but here you go:

quote:

While there was a lot to worry about, the game is one of the finest RPGs. Even the music, story, and world are excellent on their own. It's so immersive. I loved acquiring all the different skills. The main story is not very long, but there are plenty of sub quests.

The game combines a sense of realism and degree of freedom that surpasses other Zelda games. It's so fun to explore unexplored places and dungeons that you forget the time. It is the new pinnacle for home console RPGs.

This one talks about an enemy and says it was thrilling and unexpected.

The level of immersion is amazing because you can go on so many adventures. Things change depending on what you do. It's fun to choose what you want to do. It's like the finest garden where everything in the world tickles your curiosity.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 2, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ventana posted:

Making inferences from little information is entirely human and natural. That is why I don't think it's unreasonable for people, nowadays, to make quick judgments.

Because people doing things that is 'entirely human and natural' doesn't make it healthy or good. Learning to control yourself and act like an adult is a good thing and you shouldn't be defending it because laziness. Especially in the modern age it should be drat unacceptable. That doesn't mean people won't do it (myself included) but it isn't something you should defend or excuse. It's how misinformation gets such a hold on things. And yeah, sometimes that poo poo genuinely isn't important, but sometimes it manages to be. Video game poo poo shouldn't be important but that doesn't mean that one out-of-context statement or false rumor doesn't bring the slavering hordes of rampaging anger down on someone. When people get death threats or harrassment because they gave a game a 6/10 or a 10/10 or whatever, it's pretty hard to pretend this stuff doesn't have an actual impact even if it shouldn't.

If you don't think it's unreasonable, that is on you. I think it's 100% unreasonable. The fact that I'm imperfect enough to make that mistake myself doesn't excuse it, it means I need to do better, not that it's totally okay to do. "It's slower" is no excuse, especially when the people who are doing it because it's 'faster' are just as likely to spend 5 times the energy and effort it would take to research this poo poo arguing with someone about the internet.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 2, 2017

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ventana posted:

I think you're mistakenly reading anger in my disagreements. Just because I'm saying I don't agree with Famitsu's scoring system, doesn't mean I'm being angry about it.

You're also putting words in my mouth with the strawman conversation there. In that post you quoted, I didn't say at all Famitsu wasn't acknowledging flaws. I was implying that I value the flaws differently than they do. Which....is the point?

Making inferences from little information is entirely human and natural. That is why I don't think it's unreasonable for people, nowadays, to make quick judgments. Otherwise I'd just get mad at every twitter opinion. This is partly addressed in that article as well; not everyone is inclined to think critically. People often are like this not just because it's scary to challenge one's own values, or because of inherit ability to think deeply, but also because it's slower. That's the part I was mostly addressing and saying wasn't nonsensical. It'd be nonsensical to, in the face of definitive contradictory evidence, ignore it and hold my view as correct. Which uh is not happening or what I'm trying to imply.

What I should clarify in that post above is that it seems like my values are different from Famitsu's. And I can only inference that from their other scores and reading their previous write ups on other games which never sat well with me. I'm perfectly willing to update that once I get more specific information on their review but idk that doesn't seem so crazy to me? Not trying to be obstinate like you seem to imply :shrug:

As for other people getting angry (if they are, idk), then yeah that'd be dumb. People shouldn't be angry at a score just because it means something differently to people.

I found this on neogaf, but one poster replied that it might be skyrim so idk. All moonspeak to me

someone supposedly did a google translate, so of course I can't verify or claim good accuracy but here you go:

aha those reviews are such obvious bollocks, kinda hope that's fake cause if that's famitsu's standard

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Oh, I think I get what your problem is. In the original quote you had problem with, I should've said "understandable" or something like that, not "reasonable". Reasonable is saying like it's fair and okay. I wasn't trying to say it's okay or ethical to be lazy. I even tried to say later on in that exact paragraph that it was wrong. I was just saying people had a reason for it that (which is a natural reason), not that that reason itself is okay. I was arguing against the "has no reason" definition of nonsensical, not the "has poor judgement" definition. I think we've been agreeing the whole time that lazy people suck and can sometimes be hurtful.

Dabir posted:

aha those reviews are such obvious bollocks, kinda hope that's fake cause if that's famitsu's standard

I don't know about all of their reviews, but that's the sort of things I've read from other write ups so I wouldn't be surprised if they lacked detail.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dabir posted:

Famitsu are genuinely lovely reviewers and the only reason they have any positive reputation is the language barrier and mystique of being a 'foreign' publication.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Famitsu are genuinely lovely reviewers and the only reason they have any positive reputation is the language barrier and mystique of being a 'foreign' publication.

I've heard that as a magazine it's actually not bad. The issues are pretty long and they have unique content like interviews with the developers etc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

I've heard that as a magazine it's actually not bad. The issues are pretty long and they have unique content like interviews with the developers etc.

The actual magazine is pretty good and actually has a lot of unique information and some really good articles. It is just as a review source that it sucks.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
New Sonic 3D Blast Director's Cut video out, kind of amazed he managed to do something that drastic with the rom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzGJkncqx04

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Oh lol, that quote was from Breath of the Wild, not Skyward Sword, my bad. Now it makes a lot more sense. Still nothing about the SS review but w/e

btw they had a good cover for it too

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Ventana posted:

Oh lol, that quote was from Breath of the Wild, not Skyward Sword, my bad. Now it makes a lot more sense. Still nothing about the SS review but w/e

btw they had a good cover for it too

I don't know Japanese but looks like Windwaker had 42/40 instead of 41. Controversial but what the hell I agree.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

accusations about reviews being paid for are thrown around a lot but Famitsu's reviews are genuinely very heavily influenced by advertisers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzGJkncqx04

New update of Sonic 3D directors cut, added a time trial mode, a map screen level select, and changed how you get Chaos Emeralds, also if you get all the medals, emeralds, max out the score at 5 million and finish all the Time Trials, you get something else.

The Time Trials are basically "There aren't flickies, just get to the goal."