Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

I really wish you could swap between your gear like you can weapons, going in and out of the inventory to switch to sleep darts from poison darts and then firebombs is a bit annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are there actual assassination contract missions or are people just talking about sidequests that give you a target to kill?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It's extremely bullshit that I can have legendaries in every item slot except for my lovely-rear end tools just staying blue.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

fffffffffffffffff

save game hosed/broken @ 30hrs

anyone know where the save games are stored ?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Aphrodite posted:

Are there actual assassination contract missions or are people just talking about sidequests that give you a target to kill?

Yeah, there's plenty of actual contracts that result in ACO's form of requiescat in pace last words scenes.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Ca where/when (level) do you get access to roman style legionnaire outfits? I read about them in a article somewhere, apparently something to do with a arena?

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
so i refunded on steam, bought for ps4. it crashes about 3~hrs in, consistently. oh well.

game is fun at least!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Qmass posted:

fffffffffffffffff

save game hosed/broken @ 30hrs

anyone know where the save games are stored ?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Woohoo posted:

Timber is so drat rare and quiver only gives +1 arrow limit to predator
Weapon you use seems to be irrelevant, since you can upgrade it endlessly. Some weapons are legendary through

You will get all the wood you need and much more from just dismantling a few bows. I've only visited like 1/4 of the map and done the first three story missions and I've already got my quiver upgraded to max.

Weapon you use isn't irrelevant at all, Legendaries tend to have great perks like "Sleep on hit" or "Bleed on hit". Rares can have some of those perks too but Legendaries seem to always have three, with one being a perk that Rares simply can't have (the one at the bottom that has no rank next to it).

I found a guy selling a purple Persian Commander outfit, I am never taking this thing off.

Also I got under the Sphinx and whoah that's hella cool.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
Yeah, I didn't even notice you can dismantle stuff once someone mentioned it ITT. I've been selling stuff otherwise.

About 12 hours in, so far so good.
True, it's still an Ubisoft Sandbox Game™ - climb towers to explore and take down camps, that's all there is. But combat is much better than before and stealth, while limited, works fine when it works fine.

I really love the fact that all that speed running/mountain climbing crap is now an afterthought, not a featured feature - you can climb almost anything without much need to hunt for that exact crevice or loose brick and game doesn't force you to do any climbing puzzles. A thing Assassin's Creed needed really badly like 9 games ago is finally here. Being able to scale and climb is now just something your character can do (and apply to take a creative approach at quest), not something the game's seriously about and pointing at non-stop.

Egyptian landscape - basically a lovely rear end desert with crappy plants is of course simplest game world one could build so it's not too interesting, but vistas do look good every now and then. Recycled props are much more noticeable than in other AC games, it's just that same small rock or low palm tree repeated 99 times, but combat and stealth makes up for most of the boring parts.

What I seriously hate is that whenever you swim for longer than 30 seconds, a boat starts chasing you just in case you'd prefer to hijack a boat instead of swimming. That's lame af :wtc:

In general, the setting feels more boring than most AC games, but gameplay itself is superior and fixes/changes compared to other games in series are pretty major(ly better).

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 2, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Woohoo posted:

What I seriously hate is that whenever you swim for longer than 30 seconds, a boat starts chasing you just in case you'd prefer to hijack a boat instead of swimming. That's lame af :wtc:
Oh that explains why I keep getting run over by small boats whenever I go swimming. That's actually great.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Sindai posted:

Oh that explains why I keep getting run over by small boats whenever I go swimming. That's actually great.

I actually love this feature because it always seems to be the same guy and he rolls up yelling at me in Egyptian, and when you take control Bayek is just like "thanks, my dude," and the owner just sits down with his arms crossed. Like there's this whole meta narrative of this one fisherman repeatedly thanklessly rescuing this loving lunatic who has a death wish about swimming in crocodile infested waters.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Fart City posted:

when you take control Bayek is just like "thanks, my dude," and the owner just sits down with his arms crossed.

Bayek did this every time I "borrowed" a boat...except the first time.

The first time, it was a woman steering--who also swam to me to 'pick me up'. As I saw it was 'borrow', I pressed it and watched Bayek grab her by the back of the head and fling her off the controls. She took 3 big "pro-wrestler running from rope to rope" steps and flew off the side into the waters.

Bayek, why? :ohdear:

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
I seriously though everyt egyptian tomb is full of rooms filling of sand and scorpion and raining cobras traps, so far there's none (I just made it to Giza). Why waste such potential?

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 2, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Woohoo posted:

I really love the fact that all that speed running/mountain climbing crap is now an afterthought, not a featured feature - you can climb almost anything without much need to hunt for that exact crevice or loose brick and game doesn't force you to do any climbing puzzles. A thing Assassin's Creed needed really badly like 9 games ago is finally here. Being able to scale and climb is now just something your character can do (and apply to take a creative approach at quest), not something the game's seriously about and pointing at non-stop.

The climbing actually went backwards, the auto navigate up/down stuff has been in since Unity and they gave you a Batman grappling gun in Syndicate.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I don't understand poison

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Whats the easiest way to get a chariot mount? The skill that lets you buy them or is there one that's a reward for doing something?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Dongattack posted:

Ca where/when (level) do you get access to roman style legionnaire outfits? I read about them in a article somewhere, apparently something to do with a arena?

If you beat the Cyrene arena, you get the first one. Go back and do the "elite" version of the Cyrene fights, and you get more color option versions.

Also, for bows: keep an eye on traits. Predator bows have a "stealth damage" trait that tells you how much extra damage you do while hidden, for sniping (each dot on the left is one level of bonus damage). The absolute best bow in the game, imo, is Ash Bow, a Hunter bow with the legendary trait of "range modifier" which gives you double damage when shooting a target beyond 20m...basically turning it into a predator bow for sniping.

Basically traits are very important, and you need to pay attention to them/figure out what they do. If you press L3 in the gear menu, it'll bring up a list of all traits and their effects.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There are definitely "cobra traps", I have actually died to loving hidden snakes.

exploded mummy posted:

The climbing actually went backwards, the auto navigate up/down stuff has been in since Unity and they gave you a Batman grappling gun in Syndicate.

Yes but in this one you can, with very few exceptions, climb anything including cliff walls. Previously you had to look for the ledge that let you go up; in this one you only have to do that VERY rarely (the Pyramid is the only one I can even think of where that happens).

Calaveron posted:

I don't understand poison

It deals damage over time and can spread to other dudes, what's not to understand?

Dongattack posted:

Whats the easiest way to get a chariot mount? The skill that lets you buy them or is there one that's a reward for doing something?

Steal one.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

precision posted:

There are definitely "cobra traps", I have actually died to loving hidden snakes.

Yes but in this one you can, with very few exceptions, climb anything including cliff walls. Previously you had to look for the ledge that let you go up; in this one you only have to do that VERY rarely (the Pyramid is the only one I can even think of where that happens).

It deals damage over time and can spread to other dudes, what's not to understand?

Steal one.

I had a poisoned dude with basically no health survive for a long while. I had to beat him to death to get him to die

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Dongattack posted:

You can just steal one temporarily in most big towns/cities, or you can take the trait that lets you buy one as a mount. I prefer horses most of the time, personally - can't really fight while on chariots, other than with bows (unless I'm missing something).

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

my current and only question about this game: How much are you guys keeping your good poo poo up to date? I have a handful of real cool legendary items now, but upgrading them is prohibitively expensive. It's 4k gold when I have like 1k. I don't think I've ever even had more than 2k at one moment.

I also think the upgrades get more expensive as you level up. So it's 4k now and it's a pain I can't imagine what it would cost when I'm level 30.

Is this not a big deal because I'll be swimming in gold later? I'm like level 23 and U just finished the Scarab.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Conventional wisdom seems to be to only upgrade every 10 or 20 levels. Until you get rich, just use the best Rare you've found, unless the Legendary is only ~5 levels behind and has good perks.

e: this is why you should wait until you're at least in your 20s to solve the Papyrus puzzles, because if you get a Legendary it will be at your level

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ice Fist posted:

my current and only question about this game: How much are you guys keeping your good poo poo up to date? I have a handful of real cool legendary items now, but upgrading them is prohibitively expensive. It's 4k gold when I have like 1k. I don't think I've ever even had more than 2k at one moment.

I also think the upgrades get more expensive as you level up. So it's 4k now and it's a pain I can't imagine what it would cost when I'm level 30.

Is this not a big deal because I'll be swimming in gold later? I'm like level 23 and U just finished the Scarab.

Do you hit V at the vendors to sell all your junk materials? I'm at ~20 and I've upgraded stuff and I'm still at like 10+k.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Saint Freak posted:

Do you hit V at the vendors to sell all your junk materials? I'm at ~20 and I've upgraded stuff and I'm still at like 10+k.

Yep I always sell my junk. It's probable that I've already spent wayyyyyy too much money on upgrading rares when I shouldn't have. It wasn't terribly expensive to me on the occasions that I did it, but those 750g upgrades probably added up. I'm just going to shut up about and I'll probably end up with a poo poo load of gold at some point. and none of this will matter.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

I'm level 20 and swimming in gold pretty much. At least 5K before I hit some vendor. But that's because I sell, not dismantle poo poo I get. And I do side 2-3 side quests per main quest or so. Swimming in gold is much said probably, but at least I can upgrade all my gear every 2 levels or so. In general, if you're stealthy, you don't need to upgrade shield every time anyway, and vice versa with bow. Hunting is pretty profitable too. Don't forget to hold V in every weird spot, because there's +200 gold pots buried inbetween +3 gold ones every now and then, especially in bandit camps

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 2, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Woohoo posted:

Hm, if you stand next to torches and braziers while holding a torch, you will automatically light them. It's pretty useful in tombs later in game

Also, if you want to light your arrows with no fire about, you can drop a torch and aim at it while crouching

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I sell instead of dismantle and rarely upgrade and at level 23/post-Scarab I barely have 3k, I have no idea where you are all getting so much money from. I mean I have spent 3k once or twice to upgrade Legendaries that were super low level and I think I spent 3k on a mount once, but still.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

corn in the bible posted:

Also, if you want to light your arrows with no fire about, you can drop a torch and aim at it while crouching
At this point there should just be a button to light an arrow on fire at will. I mean Bayek is already taking out a burning torch out of his rear end, what's an arrow in comparison.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Pwnstar posted:

It's extremely bullshit that I can have legendaries in every item slot except for my lovely-rear end tools just staying blue.

I want legendary poison darts that actually kill people :argh:

Comedy option: Upgrade the fire bomb to contain Greek fire.

Also holy gently caress speaking of legendaries, I finally got a legendary dual sword set with instant charge as the special trait. They're kind of loving ridiculous and the overcharge chain attack has Bayek pouncing on dudes and stabbing their face to shreds :stare:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Capn Beeb posted:

Also holy gently caress speaking of legendaries, I finally got a legendary dual sword set with instant charge as the special trait. They're kind of loving ridiculous and the overcharge chain attack has Bayek pouncing on dudes and stabbing their face to shreds :stare:

Just a reminder:

Coldforge posted:

If you ever get a Mustapha's Blade regular sword or Storm Blades dual sword legendary, keep it for the rest of the game. Instant Charging trait is the best thing in the game, and makes fighting the stronger shield enemies later on soooooo much easier.

Weapon traits are important.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Woohoo posted:

I seriously though everyt egyptian tomb is full of rooms filling of sand and scorpion and raining cobras traps, so far there's none (I just made it to Giza). Why waste such potential?

There's some in Giza like that

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

precision posted:

I sell instead of dismantle and rarely upgrade and at level 23/post-Scarab I barely have 3k, I have no idea where you are all getting so much money from. I mean I have spent 3k once or twice to upgrade Legendaries that were super low level and I think I spent 3k on a mount once, but still.
How much money are you spending on weapons/outfits and maybe materials? Are you looting everything in every location? Are you hunting down money/material transports? Are you selling misc items? That upgrade once or twice + the 3k mount + a few other things would add up to exactly the difference between you and other people.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008

exploded mummy posted:

You don't need to navigate "down" in Origins much really. It would be useful in Paris or London, where you can descend to street or jump to next 4-story building, but not really in Bumfuck, Egypt where buildings are pretty low anyway and you're likely on top of highest one so only way is down.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

John Walker thinks this game is bland.

Remember - if John hates it, it's Game of the Year.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Saint Freak posted:

The obly reas9n I dont do that is because theres a trophy for junking 100 items at once

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Dismantling definitely seems to be smarter than selling, at least through level 15ish. Dismantle five or six items that may sell for 200-300 total can yield enough to upgrade some core area (hidden blade, quiver, armor etc).

I imagine as level increases so does value of crap you don't want, so maybe this balances later (unless material yielded also increases).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dismantle until you're swimming in wood/bronze/iron since those are the hardest to get "naturally", then sell. At level 23 I've got a maxed quiver and everything else is around halfway maxed (level 5/6) and the only thing holding me back from adding a few more ranks to everything is that I don't feel like hunting down Soft Leather and Pelts. Pelts are especially something to hoard.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

yeah seriously, what are your best tips for money? I've been selling all the unnecessary stuff but I have yet to get into dismantling weapons that I don't need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Carlosologist posted:

yeah seriously, what are your best tips for money? I've been selling all the unnecessary stuff but I have yet to get into dismantling weapons that I don't need

Money's been an issue for the entire time I've been playing. I could probably sell all my unused legendary weapons and make a mint, now that I've reached level cap and know what I actually use, but I don't want to part with my shinies :(