Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I spent some time googling about updating the OS and looking at new phones and I realize I don't understand what's going on. I used to be ok with basic computer stuff but this is beyond me now. I guess I am officially old :/ better ask my younger relatives what phone I should buy

You can head over to the android phone thread for some tips if you have a budget in mind but I can probably save you some time:

~$100: Moto E4 (beware: only 16 gigs of internal storage)
$200-$300: Moto G5 Plus 64GB
More: Used Pixel or new Pixel 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Hi guys,

Please don't argue in this thread over whether your phones are poo poo or if that even matters (hint: it's yes for both) , there is a whole separate thread next door where you can do that.

We'll push a fix soon-ish, until then you need to hold out or buy a new phone that is only 3 years out of date.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

All right there's a fix gone out that should hopefully sort it out. You might need to update Google Play Services in the app store, but it'll tell you that

spankmeister posted:

Please don't reduce the security of the app to support lovely old Android versions, thanks.

Actually this improves security all round! Surprisingly positive turn of events here

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Yay! Back to reading shitposts like only SA can provide anywhere I drat well please!* :woop:

* especially the bathroom

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's got it. Thanks eh?

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
I'm running FireOS 4.5.5.3 and was still getting a Loading Failed! error on the Amazon version. I tried sideloading the latest updated version off the GooglePlay Store with a fresh install and now I'm getting a Failed to Log In error. Browser versions work fine.

I have a newer Fire that I could tinker with, but it needs to be charged.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ugh, I knew uploading it to the Amazon market was a mistake.

Expect a fix tomorrow.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sereri posted:

the Amazon market was a mistake

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

baka kaba posted:

All right there's a fix gone out that should hopefully sort it out. You might need to update Google Play Services in the app store, but it'll tell you that

Actually this improves security all round! Surprisingly positive turn of events here

You are fuckin amazing

4.4.2 worked without even restarting the app

Thanks from the heart of my bottom.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

bronin posted:

Jesus Christ guys, Android 4.x.x is ancient. You should probably get a new phone without security flaws from a couple years ago. Awful APK not working should be the least of your concerns.

On 4.4.2 here (and getting the Loading Failed messages all the time). I did consider getting a new phone, until I looked at lists of unpatched security flaws in different versions of Android, and saw my older version had about as many as the latest version.

Also I refuse to be socially engineered by multinational phone manufacturers into dropping the best part of a grand on a new one every year or two when the old one works perfectly and will hopefully last 5-10 years from acquisition.

Plus I don't have the time to re-enter dozens, maybe hundreds of app settings.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 30, 2017

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Last Page long press menu option isn't working for me on non bookmarked threads, and Go To Page shows only one page also.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Horray, we're alive again! Thanks!

This issue has made me upgrade my phone (from a galaxy S4 to a pixel2). It had a crack on the screen and was occasionally losing connection to the sim card anyway, so i took it for as good a reason to upgrade as any.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 30, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BigBadSteve posted:

, until I looked at lists of unpatched security flaws in different versions of Android, and saw my older version had about as many as the latest version

That's not how security works, but this isn't the thread for the discussion.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

You can hold on to old but still working phones and still enjoy regular updates if LineageOS or another similar rom is supported on your phone. My phone is old but it still got a patch for the WiFi krack attack within a week. It is pretty easy to install on most phones but I am sure a goon in one of the threads neighboring this one would also square you away.

Sorry to derail the thread further.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

The new version (just released) Awful app is working fine on my Android 4.4.2 phone, thanks! :D

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well I'm relieved that works!

Also the beta got some new things if you're on that
  • Oreo support with adaptive icons
  • Imgur uploads (limited number per day, we'll see how this goes)
  • Embedded Instagram widgets
  • Embedded Twitch videos - off by default, slow as hell, use at your own risk tbh

So yeah any feedback on that stuff would be cool - does anyone care about Twitch videos?

Red Warrior posted:

Last Page long press menu option isn't working for me on non bookmarked threads, and Go To Page shows only one page also.

Can't replicate this - what app version and Android version are you on? Does it work if you swipe away the app and reopen it?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

baka kaba posted:

• Oreo support with adaptive icons
  • Imgur uploads (limited number per day, we'll see how this goes)
  • Embedded Instagram widgets
  • Embedded Twitch videos - off by default, slow as hell, use at your own risk tbh

So yeah any feedback on that stuff would be cool - does anyone care about Twitch videos?

Can't replicate this - what app version and Android version are you on? Does it work if you swipe away the app and reopen it?

• Favourites no longer red!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just saw the new version on the store, looks like it works again. Thanks!

And for anyone telling me to get a new phone I'm assuming you'll be willing to send me money to buy one???

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

baka kaba posted:

Oreo support with adaptive icons

This must have been what made SwipePad stop showing the icon.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

baka kaba posted:

Pixel on Oreo 8.0.0 October Security Patch build, OPR3.170623.008. The new beta build of Awful. Tried swiping it away, no change.

Ok, this is weird but it seems reproducible for me. It only seems to be an issue when launching from the Bookmarks widget icon? If I launch from the actual Awful app it is fine.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Awesome, this update also brought me the favorites (or I just figured out how to use it) so I no longer have the FYAD subtitle one tap away from my phone's home screen. Not that my kids often get hold of my phone, but that extra layer of peace of mind is very nice.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

site posted:

Just saw the new version on the store, looks like it works again. Thanks!

And for anyone telling me to get a new phone I'm assuming you'll be willing to send me money to buy one???

The choice between giving you money and reading your posts is very easy!!!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

hooah posted:

This must have been what made SwipePad stop showing the icon.

The what now

Red Warrior posted:

Pixel on Oreo 8.0.0 October Security Patch build, OPR3.170623.008. The new beta build of Awful. Tried swiping it away, no change.

Ok, this is weird but it seems reproducible for me. It only seems to be an issue when launching from the Bookmarks widget icon? If I launch from the actual Awful app it is fine.

Ok launching from the widget does that, yeah. Weird, I'll add it to the list

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Tab 3 now working again, thank you to everyone who keeps this app chugging along (also the forums themselves, obviously)!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

baka kaba posted:

The what now

SwipePad is basically a customizable app launcher that you can invoke with a swipe in form the side of the screen. It hadn't been updated in well over a year, but I just looked and it actually had an update this year, so I guess the dev's still active and might be a le to fix the adaptive icon thing, if that's indeed the problem.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
WTF, updated to latest and still no West-era Batman spinner for loads and transitions. Thanks, I guueeeeess

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sweart gliwere posted:

WTF, updated to latest and still no West-era Batman spinner for loads and transitions. Thanks, I guueeeeess

Still no rotating swasticocks either, but we can dream

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, serious thought here:

Often when scrolling I'll accidentally touch the link in a quote that zooms back to the quoted posy. There's no real way to recover from this in the app other than hunting down where you left off which can be tedious.

I wonder how difficult it would be for those links to be a pop-up that essentially asks if you want to jump to that post. I realize this might be way more effort than it's worth, but it would be a beneficial feature.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Hey, I tried playing a video that was linked through embedded Twitter and it locked up Awful. I will try and grab a link to the post when I get back to a computer.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How exactly do I favorite something? I see the star on my main page but nothing else?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Azran posted:

How exactly do I favorite something? I see the star on my main page but nothing else?

Long press.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
hey guys, nice job on the app! :)

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Actually, I'm wondering: does the recent update mean we can finally unlist or erase the ancient Awful Legacy app? I assume it's about useless now.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

The Bloop posted:

Ok, serious thought here:

Often when scrolling I'll accidentally touch the link in a quote that zooms back to the quoted posy. There's no real way to recover from this in the app other than hunting down where you left off which can be tedious.

I wonder how difficult it would be for those links to be a pop-up that essentially asks if you want to jump to that post. I realize this might be way more effort than it's worth, but it would be a beneficial feature.

Doesn't hitting the back button on the phone take you back where you were*? It does for me.

*unless the quote is on the same page, then it kicks me back to the thread list

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

If you play a video with audio in a thread, then swipe out and enter a new thread, the audio keeps playing. I take it this is related to the WebView and I'll just have to manually pause videos before leaving threads like a pleb :argh:

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
Everything working just fine now on my older Fire tablet. Thanks for taking the time to help us Amazon plebs.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

That's nice to hear because the alternative would have been to take down the app. :q:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Mr.Kattykat posted:

If you play a video with audio in a thread, then swipe out and enter a new thread, the audio keeps playing. I take it this is related to the WebView and I'll just have to manually pause videos before leaving threads like a pleb :argh:

Huh yeah, I'm pretty sure that never used to happen :thunk:

vortmax posted:

Doesn't hitting the back button on the phone take you back where you were*? It does for me.

*unless the quote is on the same page, then it kicks me back to the thread list

Yeah it's a bit screwy and inconsistent, it's awkward to fix though!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Mr.Kattykat posted:

Man kids today are spoiled; having audio playing while being able to do other stuff is a feature we would have killed for earlier on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Oh and thanks for the new URL display on clicking links. It's much easier than scrolling. :golfclap: