Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

actionjackson posted:

My nexus 5 is grinding to a halt after Oreo

But the iPhone doesn't offer anything like Google Fi so I'm just going to let my phone continue having a stroke

ive got a 2013 nexus 5 and its steadily ripping to piss. here's hoping i can squeezy a few more months out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Horrible Telephone Company

Nice!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Not sure why you guys are having problems. My 6P is still blazing fast and flawless in every way. Truly fantastic device.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

the 6p is huge, susceptible to bootloop and is an android

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I can't speak to those users issues. Considering my device is perfect in every way I'm forced to assume pebkac problems, op. Bad cases, software, etc, leading their phones into oblivion.

Live as Sundar intends and you will be rewarded.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

OldAlias posted:

the 6p is huge, susceptible to bootloop and is an android

seems like the second issue solves the third

then you can go buy an se and stop thinking about your phone

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

infernal machines posted:

seems like the second issue solves the third

then you can go buy an se and stop thinking about your phone

The SE is too small and runs bad software. It's worthless junk.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

get a sim card for google fi, put in iPhone se.

Apparently that will mean I can only use t-mobile which I can't get any service for at home for some reason

This mobile OS duopoly sure is awesome

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Smythe posted:

counterpoint: it does not run android

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

Apparently that will mean I can only use t-mobile which I can't get any service for at home for some reason

don't they make home cellular hotspots that give you cellular service via your broadband connection or some damned thing? look into getting one of those.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 2, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doc Block posted:

look into getting one of those home cellular hotspots.

i don't think Fi has those (their whole thing is if you're out of cell coverage, it will switch to wifi and Just Work), and t-mobile probably won't sell one to a non-customer.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

That's not a counterpoint. Android is far and away the best mobile OS. iOS is tragically terrible and ugly.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Smythe posted:

That's not a counterpoint. Android is far and away the best mobile OS. iOS is tragically terrible and ugly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Smythe posted:

dsyp

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i appreciate smythe's commitment to his gimmick, defending a trashfire of an os that's made of hacks upon hacks upon hacks on a platform designed to compete with an email pager from ten years ago, distributed on bargain basement hardware designed by the sloppiest pan-asian manufacturers

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

I have sigs off, maybe you're confused? If you need help navigating the forums, let me know and I might be able to be of some assistance. For starters, try getting your feet wet by posting in the appropriate forum for novices, here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=268

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

i appreciate smythe's commitment to his gimmick, defending a trashfire of an os that's made of hacks upon hacks upon hacks on a platform designed to compete with an email pager from ten years ago, distributed on bargain basement hardware designed by the sloppiest pan-asian manufacturers

I'm not an "IT Guy" so I don't really concern myself or care about the processes and minutia that go about constructing the electronics I use in my daily life - but there is one simple truth that cannot be denied: Android is the best mobile telecommunications and entertainment platform around, bar none.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

I'm not an "IT Guy" so I don't really concern myself or care about the processes and minutia that go about constructing the electronics I use in my daily life - but there is one simple truth that cannot be denied: Android is the best mobile telecommunications and entertainment platform around, bar none.
smythe it is good to see you in the pos. i hope your parents are doing well and that your theatre continues to go from strength to strength. please be well.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FMguru posted:

smythe it is good to see you in the pos. i hope your parents are doing well and that your theatre continues to go from strength to strength. please be well.

Thank you my friend, and I sincerely hope all is well with you and yours.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

no android today can record 4k60fps enjoy your blurry videos

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Perplx posted:

no android today can record 4k60fps enjoy your blurry videos

I love the camera on my 6P and have gotten overwhelming positive feedback on the many (many) pictures and videos I take with it for business and pleasure. When I need professional video production I hire a videographer. Don't you?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
for 8k sure

4k60fps is consumer now, at least on an iphone and go pro

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Perplx posted:

for 8k sure

4k60fps is consumer now, at least on an iphone and go pro

the 6p and pixel can both shoot 4k, despite this i have never felt the need to shoot a cell phone video, edit it, color correct it, and render it as 4k. if im doing 4k video thats getting farmed out to a pro who has some kind of giant NAS in their edit bay or whatever to work with that kind of poo poo.

your insane checklist feature post reads like the most broke-brained IYG style post possible. You've hoisted your own petard, dude.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Smythe posted:

You've hoisted your own petard, dude.

that’s not how this works

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Management posted:

thats not how this works

it is now

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
forums poster duTrieux sits in a cluttered literary office, books and loosely collated drafts cover his desk. he holds up a musty tome of ancient text, opens it to a dog eared page and points to some incomprehensible, archaic phrase "see look at this, this is the 1700s version of the modern day colloquialism "gently caress me hard with a broomstick." it's fascinating, to watch language evolve. it's living, breathing, just like Mr. Fluffelboots, here. Isn't that right? Boots?"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Smythe posted:

forums poster duTrieux sits in a cluttered literary office, books and loosely collated drafts cover his desk. he holds up a musty tome of ancient text, opens it to a dog eared page and points to some incomprehensible, archaic phrase "see look at this, this is the 1700s version of the modern day colloquialism "gently caress me hard with a broomstick." it's fascinating, to watch language evolve. it's living, breathing, just like Mr. Fluffelboots, here. Isn't that right? Boots?"

Please don't doxx my YOSPOS slash-fic, Smythe.

:(

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
did anyone mention the kirk razor meltdown recently? no? posting anyway have fun

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459842&userid=42391

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

did anyone mention the kirk razor meltdown recently? no? posting anyway have fun

yospos is a documentary and describes events as they happen, in real time

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I did and hope for a repeat

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

actionjackson posted:

I tested this last night and it attached on to a sprint tower

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Doc Block posted:

don't they make home cellular hotspots that give you cellular service via your broadband connection or some damned thing? look into getting one of those.

pretty much everything supports wifi calling now, microcells are dead

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Best Buy has the essential phone an additional $50 off right now. $450 seems like a pretty drat good deal for what it is. I'm half tempted to pick one up as a spare phone.
wow only $450 for a phone that will get no support from a dead in the water company? sign me up! can't have enough phones

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

wow only $450 for a phone that will get no support from a dead in the water company? sign me up! can't have enough phones

ill admit you convinced me

these bull posts are incredibly depressing out of context

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

im the need to spend almost $500 on a "spare" phone

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Android was always meant to be a blackberry rip off and it still shows over 10 years later.

Also, someone put bull out of his misery.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
my spare phone is the perfectly functional iPhone 5 I upgraded from 4 years ago. it sits in one of my spare bedrooms plugged into the wall.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

my spare phone is the perfectly functional iPhone 5 I upgraded from 4 years ago. it sits in one of my spare bedrooms plugged into the wall.

Why do you need a spare phone? my Nexus 6P lasts all day, from the time I wake up, until the time I go to bed. It doesn't lag or bug and works perfectly. It's in perfect condition despite never using a case and living an active lifestyle. I have no need for a spare.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eric posted:

Android was always meant to be a blackberry rip off and it still shows over 10 years later.

yes, it's why they had "project butter" and like a million other failures to get the ui to respond decently.

it was a ripoff of an overextended email pager platform, that tacked on touch support as an afterthought and everything since then is poisoned fruit from a lovely tree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
still going lol that they use the os version to advertise lovely candy