Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Thoatse posted:

Those don't look like printer marks to me, that would leave a topographical layer texture if extruded or a sandstone like texture if SLS printed. It looks like shoddy fiberglass work ...to me that texture looks like coarse plain weave cloth with no veil ply. My guess is it's cnc carved mdf boards and thought they could fiberglass it to make look good without knowing how to layup fiberglass.

It looks very much 3D printed.

Edit: actually it doesn’t. I didn’t zoom in on the picture. I’m not sure what it is.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

The Titanic posted:

Are you calling me fat???

Not sure if we are still in joke mode, but new rule about piss-troughs: Wear shoes and don't touch the floor or anything on it. Trusting in your fellow man to minimise splash damage is folly.

But if we are in joke mode, then quite the opposite. I know you've drastically shed weight, but in doing so, you've gone from being able to pick up anyone, to being way out of our depth.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Chris Reboots

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

TheAgent posted:

like if I wrote chris roberts furfiction with him impregnating Ben who proceeds to give birth to six dozen wing commander 4 boxes for the cdi, I'd probably make like $500k a year or something

So why haven't you? Share your art with the world, man

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ubik_Lives posted:

Not sure if we are still in joke mode, but new rule about piss-troughs: Wear shoes and don't touch the floor or anything on it. Trusting in your fellow man to minimise splash damage is folly.

But if we are in joke mode, then quite the opposite. I know you've drastically shed weight, but in doing so, you've gone from being able to pick up anyone, to being way out of our depth.

I’m not sure, friend! :chloe:

I’ll be good though and just say: Ok! :)

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

his nibs posted:

strangely alluring

tax:

Who is coding? Oh my god bear is coding, how can that be?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I did my part. I donated some high quality artwork to make sure Love Pledge becomes a reality, and of course not Steam-friendly!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

smarter than your average bear

dumber than your average million-dollar CEO

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

The Titanic posted:

I’m starting to wonder if somehow CIG tapped into that frustrated Games Workshop magic vein of infinite money for basically nothing. But at least with GW the artwork is pretty cool and the lore seems to be more interesting than a 8th graders “my rpg game I’m building” notebook full of pencil sketches of stick figures fighting and maps of Mordor.

It's the same crowd that bought Wing Commander so they could show off their brand new MT-32.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
One other thing I was wondering about, can CIG really shed staff effectively?

If the claims that everyone who quits needs to sign an NDA is true, and I imagine there must be a financial incentive to make that stick, wouldn't any drastic staff cuts result in large payouts to those staff?

If they were aiming for a restructure that would last them years, sure, but I feel like they are locked on their current path and can only drive full speed ahead.

I know this has been said by many a person only to be proven wrong, but I can't comprehend how this can go on for much longer.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Ubik_Lives posted:

If the claims that everyone who quits needs to sign an NDA is true, and I imagine there must be a financial incentive to make that stick, wouldn't any drastic staff cuts result in large payouts to those staff?

If they were aiming for a restructure that would last them years, sure, but I feel like they are locked on their current path and can only drive full speed ahead.

I know this has been said by many a person only to be proven wrong, but I can't comprehend how this can go on for much longer.

If CIG is using stock options as an NDA carrot for severance (which I have no indication they are) -- lol.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

McGiggins posted:

Been looking for a replacement for the pigeon dating sim.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

TheAgent posted:

like if I wrote chris roberts furfiction with him impregnating Ben who proceeds to give birth to six dozen wing commander 4 boxes for the cdi, I'd probably make like $500k a year or something

Let's not pretend this doesn't already exist

Authored by Clifford aka Miku with guest credit by Ryan Archer

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

In the original pitch video, CR walked around the inside of a ship, and then flew the hornet thing and noted all over the articulating thrusters.

Today, Star Citizen is much the same as it was, except now the pitch videos are movies instead of showcasing innovative features.
It is amazing to consider this when a Citizen mentions how far the game has come. Five years, $160 million, a company that has spread across the globe like a disease and all they have to show for it are videos that (at least to this layman's eye) look much the same as the original pitch videos. Where the gently caress has that money gone? Ok, Porsches, cocaine and playing at movie making. Stupid question. I hope this whole thing does end up in court, because I'd love to see Roberts desperately trying to explain how the 2017 videos are massive advancements from the 2012 pitch videos, and totally took up all that money.

Ubik_Lives posted:

We live in a world where Trump is US president, the UK voted for the Conservatives and Brexit, and we're having serious debates about whether it's ok to punch literal Nazis. Anything is possible, and the more stupid it is, the more likely it is.

Sunswipe fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 3, 2017

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

TheAgent posted:

none of our massive teams of developers are playing wolf2

Hitler scene had me in stitches, and the way the lighting outside the window pulses when he is irked by Arizona guy, gently caress, it was like Quentin tarantino had written the scene.

"I will cake and butter you"

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Seriously though - whenever your life hits a tough spot just take a step back and imagine holding onto a non-existent video game so tightly that you've sunk your life savings into it because it's literally all you have.. and you'll never even play the game in a fully realized state to see what all that money bought.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

TheAgent posted:

none of our massive teams of developers are playing wolf2, aco or the new call of duty and saying poo poo like "why am I spending thousands of dollars on a joke game" or "why am I spending dozens of hours a week writing about space tits and not the actual novel I've been working on since 2015"

we are dedicated to bring you the best mmo anime fps dating sim on the planet and we will continue that dedication into 2018 and beyond

please chat with our community managers if you have any questions, like "where is the game" or "what the gently caress is love pledge" or "did you just take all our preorder money and gently caress off on a pretty awesome vacation to mexico"

thank you very much for your support

Love pledge... Cancelled? Say it isn't so! :ohdear:

Would throwing more money at the devs help the situation in any way?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Jump to hiberspace successfl

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

It looks very much 3D printed.

Edit: actually it doesn’t. I didn’t zoom in on the picture. I’m not sure what it is.

If its not printed, it looks like it came out of a really lovely, poorly made mould. Or the mould is all worn to gently caress.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Hobold posted:

If its not printed, it looks like it came out of a really lovely, poorly made mould. Or the mould is all worn to gently caress.

Just use coarse fibre, too little resin and avoid any kind of vacuum

Comedy option:

They laminated it in full CFRP pre preg and that's the texture of the rip off cloth.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Ubik_Lives posted:

If HR is competent at all, they’ll have gotten the signed NDA when the employee is hired on.

Yes, I know.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I guess it must be an inside joke at CIG Frankfurt that all the leftover convention junk gets left in Chambers' office afterward. Didn't he get a Big Benny costume stashed in there after one event?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Bear necessities

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

The Titanic posted:

I think they’re just going for the Nintendo Switch crowd here.

I think they're going for the pc master Bate n Switch crowd here.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Thoatse posted:

Bear necessities

I wonder how Croberts would feel if Porsche delivered this JPEG to him instead of a car 5 years after he paid in full for it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

fritzgryphon posted:

Topical GDC vid

"We did final art for all our spaceships... ended up throwing it all away."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LTtr45y7P0&t=746s

Everything about this is amazing.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Isn't it just? :allears:

A good 60-80% of the points he makes are exactly the mistakes CIG made.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

fritzgryphon posted:

Topical GDC vid

Someone needs to retitle this to Star Citizen: What We Did Wrong, change the title cards and re-upload it...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I needed a distraction from studying...

#1 - I don't give a crap about your backstory.
They didn't do this during the pitch, but they've gone all-out with a barrage of lore and backstory. I would argue having a seminar on how to speak Xi'An when nobody knows how to find a jump point is a good example.

#2 - I don't give a crap about your inventory system either.
The major point of emphasis was that unless a standard mechanic is particularly critical to the game then it doesn't need to be discussed. Chris is constantly guilty of this, such as the Gamescom demo featuring an extensive discussion on how to put on pants.

#3 - I'm not going to design your game for you.
Chris doesn't have this problem.

#4 - Pillars are not hooks!
Curiously Star Citizen has plenty of hooks, but no pillars.

#5 - You never explained what the player does.
According to the latest demo you spend 8 minutes waiting to arrive at your destination.

#6 - In the real world, no one can double jump!
We get this a lot, with "realistic" physics and emphasis on not "cheating" game mechanics that have no business being simulated to the level CIG has put in.

#7 - It's a game show!
Star Citizen is not intended to be a shallow game so this doesn't apply.

#8 - It's a parody!
It's a joke, but they take it seriously.

#9 - You never mentioned your glaringly obvious tech risk.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

#10 - Your proof of concept doesn't prove your concept.
Five years in they still haven't proven their MMO is going to have a massive number of people.

#11 - Having lots of lovely images doesn't make them less lovely.
CIG's artists are pretty good.

#12 - I can't tell what's placeholder and what's not.
WORM WAS NOT A JOKE.

#13 - You polished too early.
CIG's philosophy is that it's never to late to polish too early.

#14 - Your sample dialog sucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr-I8XIAj8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7VUUBx5lKU

#15 - You're pandering to the latest tech craze.
Procedural cities! Face Over IP! Chris is obsessed with having new shinies.

#16 - You just pitched a phone game to a console publisher.
CIG definitely targeted the right audience.

#17 - Gone Home already exists.
Chris did pitch something that was meant to be different, I'll give him that.

#18 - "Can you help us negotiate a license deal with Marvel?"
Doesn't apply, although I imagine the question was asked with respect to Coutt's.

#19 - I know more about your monetization than your mechanics.
Absolutely true.

#20 - You have no idea how much money you need to make this thing.
They had a budget to start with, but as soon as funding went off the rails so did their scope.

#21 - You don't have a team.
This is a big one. CIG argues that the first year was spent building a team from nothing, and a lot of their early work was done through contractors.

#22 - Your business plan is based on outliers.
This is absolutely true and continues to be a huge joke, particularly given that they've already squeezed their customer base dry.

#23 - You seem like you'd be a huge pain in the rear end to work with.
It's well established that Chris is a dick.

#24 - You expect me to know who you are.
Probably not a problem with Chris.

#25 - You're annoyed that I'm asking questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGreb21dKdg&t=1112s

#26 - We're watching the pitch on your phone.
CIG will happily spend your money for bigger screens.

#27 - You brought a laptop... but no headphones.
Arguably their constant gently caress-ups at livestreams would apply, although the last one went well.

#28 - You're hungover... Or drunk... Or high...
When was the last presentation where Chris wasn't shitfaced?

#29 - You trash other games. Or other companies. Or other developers.
That's basically CIG's business model.

#30 - You need to take a shower.
This applies more to the community than the creator.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They didn't do this during the pitch, but they've gone all-out with a barrage of lore and backstory. I would argue having a seminar on how to speak Xi'An when nobody knows how to find a jump point is a good example.

The major point of emphasis was that unless a standard mechanic is particularly critical to the game then it doesn't need to be discussed. Chris is constantly guilty of this, such as the Gamescom demo featuring an extensive discussion on how to put on pants.

According to the latest demo you spend 8 minutes waiting to arrive at your destination.

We get this a lot, with "realistic" physics and emphasis on not "cheating" game mechanics that have no business being simulated to the level CIG has put in.

#7 - It's a game show!

#8 - It's a parody!

Five years in they still haven't proven their MMO is going to have a massive number of people.

WORM WAS NOT A JOKE.

Doesn't apply, although I imagine the question was asked with respect to Coutt's.

Absolutely true.

They had a budget to start with, but as soon as funding went off the rails so did their scope.

This is a big one. CIG argues that the first year was spent building a team from nothing, and a lot of their early work was done through contractors.

This is absolutely true and continues to be a huge joke, particularly given that they've already squeezed their customer base dry.

Arguably their constant gently caress-ups at livestreams would apply, although the last one went well.

Im watching the GDC panel right now constantly thinking... someone should overlay this video with the fitting Media of how CIG screwed it up

E: Nr. 3 is p obviously their twitter account

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/1Kw7E6N.gifv

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Survived hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico, thank the Carrack!

It was a nightmerish day. The aftermath...intolerable. 42 days with no power, no water. What keeps me going is hope. The Carrack sustains me for it is life. It holds me together for it is love!

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

#7 - It's a game show!

#8 - It's a parody!

WORM WAS NOT A JOKE.

Absolutely true.

:five::five::five::five:

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
Meanwhile in real gaming news, I'm in the Sea of Thieves alpha again and they've added a bunch of new things, including putting griefing teammates in the brig where you can throw up on them if you want while they're trapped. They also released a 1-2 crew ship in case you can't muster 3 friends or dont want to crew with 3 randos. Game is really hella' fun.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

fritzgryphon posted:

Topical GDC vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LTtr45y7P0&t=554s

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

That thing contains catnip. You can literally see when it kicks in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
But the issue with CIG's "pitch" / marketing is that while it fits many of these *cough* missteps the alarms didn't and still don't go off in people's heads.

Or maybe some of these points are drawn specifically (it seems) from the Star Citizen case. Which would make more sense. If a project showed up on Kickstarter today with a pitch similar to Star Citizen's, I'm guessing people would point to the paradigm of Star Citizen and why many of the original promises and bullshots are likely to be bullshit.