Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Endorph posted:

hillary clinton is more popular than bernie sanders among people that write for kotaku

Ah yes, because gaming journalism is totally the scourge of our time, and not like, you know, the actual press that reports on poo poo that matters and routinely hosts garbage people to write Very Serious op eds in the American paper of record.

Take this gamergate poo poo back to Reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Y'all get how this works, right? There's actual news happening and these distractions get pumped up.

Yes, the DNC is rigged so that is supports.....the Democrats. Weird.

But this story is being spammed all over the internet right now. Not posted. Not talked about, spammed.

http://dashboard.securingdemocracy.org

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Dianne Feinstein gets a challenger from the left. She's running on the Justice Democrats platform.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 3, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

Ah yes, because gaming journalism is totally the scourge of our time, and not like, you know, the actual press that reports on poo poo that matters and routinely hosts garbage people to write Very Serious op eds in the American paper of record.

Take this gamergate poo poo back to Reddit.
Uh. I was literally just making a joke, I definitely don't support gamergate and I don't think Kotaku has anything to do with politics. Could you not accuse people of serious stuff like that that casually? Friends of mine have had their lives nearly ruined because of gamergate poo poo.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

https://twitter.com/Alex_Roarty/status/926242913545269248

democracy for america has rescinded its support for northam in virginia and has canceled its got operation for him

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

bird cooch posted:

Y'all get how this works, right? There's actual news happening and these distractions get pumped up.

This isn't a distraction, this is everything we've been loving talking about ever since the election. These fucks need to be purged. The "actual news" is the distraction.

Fantastic, gently caress Feinstein, she's the worst loving Dem considering her safe is as loving safe blue as you can get. Or maybe that's why she's the worst.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

democracy for america has rescinded its support for northam in virginia and has canceled its got operation for him

im glad northam is determined to lose this election

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

So is Kevin de Léon.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

bird cooch posted:

But this story is being spammed all over the internet right now. Not posted. Not talked about, spammed.

Endorph posted:

Uh. I was literally just making a joke, I definitely don't support gamergate and I don't think Kotaku has anything to do with politics. Could you not accuse people of serious stuff like that that casually? Friends of mine have had their lives nearly ruined because of gamergate poo poo.

"hurr durr kotaku is terrible" immediately sets off my bad people radar, my bad.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 3, 2017

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i legitimately have no idea what northam and his campaign is doing anymore

there is no reality where this race should be narrowing

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

bird cooch posted:

theres not a lot else going on besides some tax stuff no one cares about, not sure what the big deal is

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

QuoProQuid posted:

fuuuuuck.

I mean for real, gently caress Northam, he's a goddamn moron for doing that poo poo, but gently caress man. He's gonna throw away an easy win because he was scared, if he drags Fairfax down man, gently caress.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

"hurr durr kotaku is terrible" immediately sets off my bad people radar, my bad.
I mean you can criticize a gaming news site because you think it's poorly written and approaches sensitive issues from a dumb place, not because it cares about sensitive issues at all. This isn't really the thread to discuss gaming journalism, but I think that kind of mindset ignores a lot of perspectives outside of the norm. There are several times I felt like Kotaku actively diminished social issues I care about deeply, like gay people being cool and needing to be in more video games, for instance. they do some okay post-mortems and stuff though i dont hate the site or anything.

QuoProQuid posted:

i legitimately have no idea what northam and his campaign is doing anymore

there is no reality where this race should be narrowing
i dont think they know, either

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Endorph posted:

I mean you can criticize a gaming news site because you think it's poorly written and approaches sensitive issues from a dumb place, not because it cares about sensitive issues at all. This isn't really the thread to discuss gaming journalism, but I think that kind of mindset diminishes a lot of perspectives outside of the norm. There are several times I felt like Kotaku actively diminished social issues I care about deeply. they do some okay post-mortems and stuff though i dont hate the site or anything.

I don't think Kotaku is a bastion of good journalism (though by gaming media standards they're ok), I just associate drive by games journalism jabs with shitheels and thus was skeptical. Like I said, my bad.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bird cooch posted:

the uranium thing isn't being talked about? are you kidding? that and "mueller: in league with the devil?" are all that's been on fox and the rest of the right wing echo chamber for weeks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i cant believe hillary rigged the dnc to steal all their uranium

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

QuoProQuid posted:

Didn't someone come here and ask people to campaign for Northam last week?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

theCalamity posted:

Didn't someone come here and ask people to campaign for Northam last week?

Northam didn't decide to pander to racists until yesterday or today (I'm not sure), probably because of that dumb ad that people were handwringing about. :ohdear:

loving morons, ahhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHH

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think it was this morning that i read he announced he would block sanctury cities

i also read this morning that he just came out with an ad that was the first time he thought to release an ad tie his opponent to the historically unpopular and universally hated current president lol

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Lightning Knight posted:

fuuuuuck.

I mean for real, gently caress Northam, he's a goddamn moron for doing that poo poo, but gently caress man. He's gonna throw away an easy win because he was scared, if he drags Fairfax down man, gently caress.

A world where Northam loses and Fairfax wins is barely better than both losing. AGs have some autonomous power in Virginia, but most of their clout comes when they are backed up by a friendly governor.

If Northam loses I, personally, am hosed. Do not hope for that no matter how you feel like being vindictive. Please.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Quorum posted:

A world where Northam loses and Fairfax wins is barely better than both losing. AGs have some autonomous power in Virginia, but most of their clout comes when they are backed up by a friendly governor.

If Northam loses I, personally, am hosed. Do not hope for that no matter how you feel like being vindictive. Please.

No, I don't want him to lose. He's just a douche. I'm mad at him for deciding to be a douche.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

yeah. i think the specific inciting event for dfa action was northam's announcement that he has always opposed sanctuary cities

i think he was trying to make a point that there aren't actually any sanctuary cities in virginia, but he flubbed it and made it seem as though he was either flip-flopping on immigration or pandering to nativists

it is possible that northam has some internal polling that says his inexplicable campaign strategy is somehow working, but it gives me ulcers

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Lightning Knight posted:

No, I don't want him to lose. He's just a douche. I'm mad at him for deciding to be a douche.

Actually he's a super nice guy. He did gently caress up though.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Quorum posted:

Actually he's a super nice guy. He did gently caress up though.

:colbert:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/926204710071173120

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Does VA even have enough of an undocumented immigrant population for it to really matter or is it just grandstanding?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Instant Sunrise posted:

Does VA even have enough of an undocumented immigrant population for it to really matter or is it just grandstanding?

as of 2014, virginia had about 300,000 undocumented immigrants, which is near the national average but still in the top third of all states.

as discussed, the state has no sanctuary cities.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Counter-arguments to the Brazile piece are surfacing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm still loving stunned that Northam is that much of an idiot to cave to that stupid sanctuary city bullshit. Dems are always so goddamn clueless.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Yeah dude, I'm the crazy one.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/926247543801044993

Right.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

lol, some counter-argument that is. it's literally "we knew about the hvf from the start!", ignoring that no, we did not know that hillary had her hands deep in it from the start of the primary. it also ignores the control brazile alleged hillary had in exchange for bailing the DNC out. add to it a bunch of "berniebros :argh:" and this is obviously a real quality piece of journalism :rolleye:

seriously, this might as well have been a pagelong rant posted to r/ess as much as it ignores things in brazile's article

Condiv fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 3, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

lol, some counter-argument that is. it's literally "we knew about the vfh fund from the start!", ignoring that no, we did not know that hillary had her hands deep in it from the start of the primary. it also ignores the control brazile alleged hillary had in exchange for bailing the DNC out. add to it a bunch of "berniebros :argh:" and this is obviously a real quality piece of journalism :rolleye:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'm just posting it because it's there.

bird cooch posted:

Yeah dude, I'm the crazy one.

Right.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That scene from The Simpsons "And Maggie Makes Three" where Homer quits, uses Mr. Burns' head as a drum, drives a cart through the plant and across a wooden bridge, then lights that bridge on fire.

Donna is Homer, Hillary is Burns, Perez and Ellison are Lenny and Carl watching.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Echo Chamber posted:

That scene from The Simpsons "And Maggie Makes Three" where Homer quits, uses Mr. Burns' head as a drum, drives a cart through the plant and across a wooden bridge, then lights that bridge on fire.

Donna is Homer, Hillary is Burns, Perez and Ellison are Lenny and Carl watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT4Ngpedw90

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I'm still loving stunned that Northam is that much of an idiot to cave to that stupid sanctuary city bullshit. Dems are always so goddamn clueless.

The fact that so many Democratic candidates do stupid poo poo like this almost makes me want to believe that they truly don't care that much about winning, because they're usually rich anyway and wouldn't be hurt by anything Republicans do.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

Suddenly everyone trusts her when she says things they want to hear.
             \
              \
               \

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/rtyson82/status/926258834464747520

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Lightning Knight posted:

Northam didn't decide to pander to racists until yesterday or today

just lol if you didnt see this coming

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

just lol if you didnt see this coming

No, I can honestly say I didn't. I expected him to be potentially lovely on any number of issues but "gently caress sanctuary cities" was honestly not one of them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Northam is still going to win. It's just going to be by roughly the same amount that Hillary won the state by instead of in a runaway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

No, I can honestly say I didn't. I expected him to be potentially lovely on any number of issues but "gently caress sanctuary cities" was honestly not one of them.

The rich don't care about sanctuary cities. If you're not going to campaign on helping the poor and the middle class, then copying the Republicans' racism makes sense* because you can pick up non-rich racists that way and it's not like you're going to lose the votes of the affluent professional class.

I'm not surprised at all.

*Assuming you have no moral compass other than "get donations" and "get elected to secure future donations"

• Locked thread