Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Huh. I love footy and the club but I definitely don't go batshit crazy over it and keep it mostly as a weekend thing. At the same doing my stats nonsense means I have to pay more attention to what every other club is doing as well and basically being objective.

Even when the club trades a player. Look, it's theatre, it's not loving life-and-death.

I bet you actually mail Hodge defaced copies of his one-club memorabilia every few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

BrigadierSensible posted:

I always thought it was because they had nothing else going on in their lives. As in they latch on to a tribe, (footy team in this case), and make it the most important part of their self-identity, because they have nothing else to identify with/as.

Then when a member of said tribe "betrays" the tribe, it is not just a footy player doing something "bad". It is a betrayal of self, a personal terrible injury that cuts them to the core of who they think they are.

Its the same with "enemies" if the tribe. They are not just people who barrack for a different footy club, or have a different opinion on an issue, they are "the enemy" to be destroyed and villified and attacked mercilessly, for to allow them to exist is a threat to one's own sense of self.

Basically loser nutters taking a game too seriously/personally.

I went to a party once and this dude was dressed head to toe in Lakers gear. It really depressed me. Seems like an expensive way to have a personality.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I can get real mad during a game but am back to being a normal member of society halfway down the first flight of steps at the G at the latest (apart from on here obviously)

Melbourne is far more likely to fill me with a crushing inescapable sadness than rage.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Yeah, I pretty much have a built-in switch where if I recognise that footy is making me miserable, I just stop paying attention to it for a while. I still watch all the matches and turn into a draft nerd every November, but I haven't exactly been looking for excuses to think about the Crows since the Grand Final, for example.

I can't imagine getting obsessed to the point where I'm sending actual threats in the mail to a player. Hell, I wouldn't even know where to start if I wanted to.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Pfft as if you don't follow players home from training and sell their bin contents on ebay/gumtree.

You're all pathetic!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

drunkill posted:

Pfft as if you don't follow players home from training and sell their bin contents on ebay/gumtree.

You're all pathetic!

I don’t need to stalk anyone to see melbourne players putting out rubbish, I just go to the G every second week.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Social media trolls are people who usually have very little going on in their lives

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I applied for the job to deal with those trolls for Adelaide, but since they looked at my application on the 26th and I haven't heard back, I clearly didn't get it

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

So we re-branded. Not sure about the Hawk looking head even though it's definitely an Eagle...

I'd buy the alternate if I ever bought one.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I’m not sure the alternate fixes any clashes. They’ve gone from 50% yellow/50% blue to 50% blue/50% yellow

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
new logo owns

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

racing identity posted:

I’m not sure the alternate fixes any clashes. They’ve gone from 50% yellow/50% blue to 50% blue/50% yellow
Looks like the same proportion as before, though. It'd help against other "royal blue" teams like North or the Bulldogs.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
I love the new strip and the new logo, it's great to finally get rid of that last drop of ochre

And the clash jumper is mostly yellow on the back, so it is pretty different to other teams

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

I applied for the job to deal with those trolls for Adelaide, but since they looked at my application on the 26th and I haven't heard back, I clearly didn't get it

They dodged a bullet there

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Diet Crack posted:

So we re-branded. Not sure about the Hawk looking head even though it's definitely an Eagle...

I'd buy the alternate if I ever bought one.

This look pretty cool, actually.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

drunkill posted:

You're all patheticflogs!

FTFY

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Those sponsor logos look big

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/stkildafc/status/925582751767568384/photo/1

why does new guernsey chat always end with everyone taking potshots at Hawthorn :(

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

The Deadly Hume posted:

https://twitter.com/stkildafc/status/925582751767568384/photo/1

why does new guernsey chat always end with everyone taking potshots at Hawthorn :(

It's not our fault the Hawks have the worst colour combination possible. Although the Suns probably have the worst jumper due to that loving atrocious logo they decided to slap on it. If they don't use this rebuild as a chance to rebrand then they are doomed to failure.

Hume, any chance you've done a fixture difficulty ranking? (also, what's your stats website again - I keep forgetting to bookmark it)

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

It’s crazy that whatever graphic designers they get in don’t understand that a logo is going to look hosed when juxtaposed against the clean, minimalist lines of the teams that have history. Like the atrocious anchor of the Dockers and whatever full blown nightmare the Eagles had a few years back. Special mention to the Hawthorn hawk. Dockers have at least figured it out and now have 3 neat chevrons that represent the anchor in a crisp, clean way.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Gold coast suns is one of the worst logos i’ve ever seen in my entire life though, and I work in a bottlo

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Crows management get really angry with us when we point out that our current logo is literally a rip off of the Baltimore Ravens logo and that we want it changed ASAP. Another Trigg legacy, that logo.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

NTRabbit posted:

The Crows management get really angry with us when we point out that our current logo is literally a rip off of the Baltimore Ravens logo and that we want it changed ASAP. Another Trigg legacy, that logo.

What is the official Adelaide Fan, or indeed Management's stance on this jaunty fellow?

Coz I think he is cool. Although I like all the logos of around that time, so it may have a bit to do with nostalgia etc.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 2, 2017

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Periphery posted:

It's not our fault the Hawks have the worst colour combination possible. Although the Suns probably have the worst jumper due to that loving atrocious logo they decided to slap on it. If they don't use this rebuild as a chance to rebrand then they are doomed to failure.

Hume, any chance you've done a fixture difficulty ranking? (also, what's your stats website again - I keep forgetting to bookmark it)
Not yet, been busy with other stuff this week since the fixture came out.

This year's AFL stuff is still up at http://graft.grudnuk.com (hasn't been updated since the finals of course) but I'm moving that to http://graftratings.com next year so that might be better to bookmark.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 2, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Schneider Inside Her posted:

It’s crazy that whatever graphic designers they get in don’t understand that a logo is going to look hosed when juxtaposed against the clean, minimalist lines of the teams that have history. Like the atrocious anchor of the Dockers and whatever full blown nightmare the Eagles had a few years back. Special mention to the Hawthorn hawk. Dockers have at least figured it out and now have 3 neat chevrons that represent the anchor in a crisp, clean way.

When critiquing awful changes to team designs, never forget: the club management may be just as liable. They have to approve changes - never mind, they also have to give designers an idea to work with. Both approvals and ideas could very well be undercooked.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Designers design what the clients want. That's how the Eagles ended up with that horrific late 90s strip. Not one designer involved in that would have been been happy with that

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

BrigadierSensible posted:

What is the official Adelaide Fan, or indeed Management's stance on this jaunty fellow?

Coz I think he is cool. Although I like all the logos of around that time, so it may have a bit to do with nostalgia etc.

"It's an old logo that appeals to old people, the new logo is a cool, hip logo that appeals to kids" - some corporate high flyer, probably

I think most fans agree that the jaunty fellow, while nostalgic, is not the right kind of retro for bringing in young people, but we largely hate the current Baltimore ray trace, and many have been holding off buying new merch until they replace it with something better, and letting the club know about it. The club in turn gets really snarky about it, and insists that no, we are all Principal Skinner, and the kids like it and are right. I don't think the kids even notice the logo, truthfully.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 2, 2017

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Out side of us Saints, does any team actually use a logo thats based on historical or is actually historical? Carlton perhaps?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Essendon's stealth bomber logo is over 20 years old so that's pretty historical.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
As a kid, my choice of teams were entirely based on the logo. Loved the Hawks and the Eagles, got a hand me down Hawthorn jumper from a family friend, rest is fate.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Traitor speculation begins!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-02/sloane-wont-be-rushed-into-new-crows-deal

quote:

ADELAIDE star Rory Sloane has the end of his career on his mind and won't be rushed into a contract extension with the Crows.

The 27-year-old Victorian will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of next year and would be highly sought if he tested his value in the open market, particularly by clubs in his home state.

"I'm not going to put a timeline on this sort of thing," Sloane told Adelaide radio station FIVEaa.

"It's a contract I will have to think long and hard about with (my wife) Belinda.

"Coming to the end of my career, you certainly have to look at what's best for yourself."

Sloane would look pretty good running around in red, white and black imo.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Periphery posted:

Sloane would look pretty good running around in red, white and black imo.

Watch us have a stinker in 2018 and be a toxic wasteland to free agents as usual.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
north have delisted lindsay thomas, a bit ungrateful considering all the effort he put into losing them a few games this year to bump them up the draft order

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

monolithburger posted:

Watch us have a stinker in 2018 and be a toxic wasteland to free agents as usual.

Probably.

But I'm cautiously optimistic that if we can fix up our absolutely hosed goal kicking then we should make finals. The draw isn't harder than this years, Roo and Monty are gone but were a shadow of their former selves this year, and there should be plenty of natural development in the younger players (Jack Steele in particular :swoon:). Of course, being one of the youngest and least experienced teams in the league wont help and we'll need to have a good run with injuries.

However, most of that applies to the teams around the same spot as us so who knows what will happen.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Jesus titty loving christ Rory Sloane is 27 already?!?! Where did the time go holy ffffffffffffff

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

snaeksikn posted:

north have delisted lindsay thomas, a bit ungrateful considering all the effort he put into losing them a few games this year to bump them up the draft order

Word is he’s going to Port, who are addressing their flat track bully rep by picking up the biggest flat track bully from the other 17 clubs.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

Periphery posted:

there should be plenty of natural development in the younger players (Jack Steele in particular :swoon:).

That's a weird way to spell Sinclair.

(jk I love both)

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

boy undead posted:

That's a weird way to spell Sinclair.

(jk I love both)

Sinclair is already the best wingman in the game (according to champion data and my heart) so he can't really improve much more.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/nov/03/aflw-susan-alberti-interview

Really good interview with Susan Alberti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

hiddenmovement posted:

Jesus titty loving christ Rory Sloane is 27 already?!?! Where did the time go holy ffffffffffffff

Yeah that blew my mind too, also Gibbs seen as entering the twilight of his career at Adelaide. Yet at the same time when Jobe retired it felt like he’d only just started his career while at the same time thinking of him running around as a fat forward in Sheedy’s forward line feels like a lifetime ago.

• Locked thread