Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

Poor phrasing happens. Her problem isn't that she's Jewish. ;)

TBF that is definitely one of her problems as far as her fans are concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vargatron posted:

Does Laura Loomer hate Muslims because she's Jewish or just because she's the typical alt-righter?

she is a miserable person because she's caught in a feedback loop of alienation > loneliness > anger > provocation > alienation > loneliness

so a typical alt righter

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I never really understood the racial bias against Jews. They just look like white people to me.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Vargatron posted:

I never really understood the racial bias against Jews. They just look like white people to me.

that's what makes them so dangerous don't you understand :supaburn:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Vargatron posted:

White is a relatively modern concept. Anti-semitism is older than the concept of some sort of white race. edit: Plus in the modern day anti-semitism serves to explain why the supposed superiority of the white race hasn't led to some sort of eternal universal dominion. Some one must be at fault. It can't be white people and it can't be black, latinx, or middle eastern people, who in the racist's mind are all intellectually inferior, so it falls to the Jewish population to be the insidious force masterminding the failures of white people.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 2, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TGLT posted:

White is a relatively modern concept. Anti-semitism is older than the concept of some sort of white race.

Consider that there was/is also discrimination against the Irish and Italians.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I always had the impression at least some anti-Semitism stemmed from "they're wealthy and not sharing," which is otherwise a cornerstone of the American right.

Which passes the "not bad when we do it" test.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

moths posted:

I always had the impression at least some anti-Semitism stemmed from "they're wealthy and not sharing," which is otherwise a cornerstone of the American right.

Wait what?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The wealthy, stingy Jew is anti-Semitic stereotyping that goes back to medieval days.

But the actual wealthiest, stingiest people's names in America are way more likely to end in an (R) than a "berg" or "stein."

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Vargatron posted:

Don't Jewish people have distinct facial features generally different from European Whites (particularly in the nose area)?

I'm more surprised that White people think Italians are White. Wouldn't they be closer to Hispanics?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

TGLT posted:

White is a relatively modern concept. Anti-semitism is older than the concept of some sort of white race. edit: Plus in the modern day anti-semitism serves to explain why the supposed superiority of the white race hasn't led to some sort of eternal universal dominion. Some one must be at fault. It can't be white people and it can't be black, latinx, or arabic people, who in the racist's mind are all intellectually inferior, so it falls to the Jewish population to be the insidious force masterminding the failures of white people.

This makes it seem like the jews are the true master race and nazis are the degenerates.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
"I hate banks and (((wealthy people))), but don't let me catch you saying ONE bad word about capitalism!"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

moths posted:

Which passes the "not bad when we do it" test.

What you are trying to articulate is that Jews were traditionally money lenders because they could loan money at interest.

Nobles would be borrow money and when they got too in debt, they would call Jews Christ killers and talk about blood libel. Then kill them or expelthem from the country.

Centuries of propaganda makes us associate the Jew with "rich urbanites who are stealing your money while doing no work.". I mean, Shakespeare wrote a loving play about it. Talk about an established place in the Western Canon!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

This makes it seem like the jews are the true master race and nazis are the degenerates.

No see we're too ugly to be the "master race"*.

* there is no such thing as a "master race".... or so we'd like you to think :devil:

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Anti-Semitism goes back to the days when there were basically zero minorities in western Europe apart from Jewish people and Gypsies. That's why hatred of both is so deeply embedded in European culture even when there are lots of other more visually distinctive minorities these days.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Interweb posted:

I'm more surprised that White people think Italians are White. Wouldn't they be closer to Hispanics?

italians and other peoples of southern and eastern european descent were made white when black people started moving north en masse

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The Muppets On PCP posted:

italians and other peoples of southern and eastern european descent were made white when black people started moving north en masse

No, I understand that. What I mean is that it's one thing to say Irish people are similar to British people. But I would think that Italians are more similar to Hispanics/Mexicans than either Irish/British.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Part of it is also that Jewish and Romani peoples are both culturally distinctive but also displaced enough that they were present within society, and thus made convenient scapegoats for whoever was in power to deflect their own failings.

The stereotype of Jewish people as bankers and moneylenders goes back to around the 11th century. Since the catholic church had a prohibition on lending money, but for obvious reasons this didn't apply to Jews. So a lot of Jewish people ended up in those jobs because there were few other opportunities available to them.

EDIT: Also, whiteness as a concept was an invention of late-17th century/early-18th century Virginia after a combined uprising of white indentured servants and black chattel slaves.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 2, 2017

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

BarbarianElephant posted:

Anti-Semitism goes back to the days when there were basically zero minorities in western Europe apart from Jewish people and Gypsies. That's why hatred of both is so deeply embedded in European culture even when there are lots of other more visually distinctive minorities these days.

Lol. There have always been poo poo tons of minorities everywhere. It's just that the concept of what a minority is keeps changing. Look at Been Franklin's comments on Anglo Saxons vs the French. Hell, it wasn't until the cold war that we started considering gaullic and Teutonic races as being remotely similar.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Instant Sunrise posted:

Part of it is also that Jewish and Romani peoples are both culturally distinctive but also displaced enough that they were present within society, and thus made convenient scapegoats for whoever was in power to deflect their own failings.

The stereotype of Jewish people as bankers and moneylenders goes back to around the 11th century. Since the catholic church had a prohibition on lending money, but for obvious reasons this didn't apply to Jews. So a lot of Jewish people ended up in those jobs because there were few other opportunities available to them.

Not to mention in a lot of countries, they were literally forbidden from owning property so the only way to make decent money would be in a city (hence the merchant stereotype).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court_Jew has something to say, too.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
The Catholic Church also banned charging interest too, leaving pretty much all the money lending to Jewish merchants, hence the greedy stereotype.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Which led to the performance of passion plays, where actors would perform the crucifixion of Jesus and draw it out in detail about how much Jesus suffered, and get everybody all riled up and mad about it, which would usually lead to any Jewish people within that community getting run out or killed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vargatron posted:

Racism isn't logical:ssh:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Racism isn't logical:ssh:
Oh course it is! Here, let me get my calipers and I can show you about true Anglo-Saxon skull shape.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Ah, poo poo. 25 new posts and I thought Hannity finally called for gas chambers or Rush had checked into rehab. Some weird derail about Jewish people.

Which I never got at all. Growing up as a kid, I didn't know a jewish kid from anyone else. I knew that Asian and black kids looked "different" from most of us (because most of us were wasps) but that was about it and the extent of my adolescent understanding of race. Any horrible thing I should be be afraid of about Jews came from adults, especially from my dad when I started dating in high school and poo poo.

I don't get racism at all but to the small extent that I can (when I try) the Jewish hate remains totally beyond my comprehension. Especially considering that it mostly emanates from people who claim to worship one as their lord and savior.

That's all I'm gonna say about it and it'd be cool moving forward if we could post outrageous RWM takes about the Jewish if we're gonna offer up opinions on the subject. I just hope the derail doesn't go on for 4 pages

Which is bullshit because I didn't even do that so sorry for being a hypocrite.

On topic: isn't Michael Savage Jewish?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Mr Interweb posted:

Don't Jewish people have distinct facial features generally different from European Whites (particularly in the nose area)?

"Ashkenazi" is the most prominent racial group of Jews in Europe and their descendants in America, and most of the Jewish racial stereotypes refer specifically to Ashkenazi. Yiddish, for example, is a language spoken by Ashkenazi Jews and not all Jews worldwide, since it's closely related to German. Incidentally, I find it very ironic that "nazi" is in that name.

Yeah, no.

BiggerBoat posted:

On topic: isn't Michael Savage Jewish?

You mean Michael Weiner?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

It's weird, because virulent anti-semitism is still ubiquitous in Russia and the Muslim world as well. They can't catch a break wherever they go.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't get racism at all but to the small extent that I can (when I try) the Jewish hate remains totally beyond my comprehension. Especially considering that it mostly emanates from people who claim to worship one as their lord and savior.

Tribalism is tribalism, and "you worship God in a weird and different way from us" is more than enough reason to label someone as an Other.

Plus, you know, a significant number of Christians are still very mad at us for killing Jesus.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

Plus, you know, a significant number of Christians are still very mad at us for killing Jesus.

That one's amusing and fortunately rare to come across, these days. How else do those clowns imagine the Jesus character would die, as a sacrifice to resurrect, while leaving behind the start for a discrete religion?

The story's all messed up if Judas doesn't betray and the arrest and crucifixion never happens, since then Jesus never actually dies or even suffers for our sins aside from sometimes getting hungry or thirsty. If Jesus dies of old age after a life of preaching and good deeds, it's like a lovely homeopathic version of salvation. Good job fundies, enjoy some flexibility on keeping kosher before your lack of a promised afterlife.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/JoshuaGreen/status/926105710194249730

Wow. I can't believe Milo('s career) is loving dead.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

nine-gear crow posted:

Nah, his daughter will take over all the financing instead.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

sweart gliwere posted:

That one's amusing and fortunately rare to come across, these days. How else do those clowns imagine the Jesus character would die, as a sacrifice to resurrect, while leaving behind the start for a discrete religion?

The story's all messed up if Judas doesn't betray and the arrest and crucifixion never happens, since then Jesus never actually dies or even suffers for our sins aside from sometimes getting hungry or thirsty. If Jesus dies of old age after a life of preaching and good deeds, it's like a lovely homeopathic version of salvation. Good job fundies, enjoy some flexibility on keeping kosher before your lack of a promised afterlife.

I got into FIGHTS with childhood priests over the whole "Judas HAD to betray Jesus to make this whole Christianity think work so that's not really free will, is it?" Like, "call your parents" fights.

Another big point of contention was "If Jesus is both human and divine... and he lost his cool and trashed that temple... wasn't that his human anger consuming him?" They really didn't like that for some reason I still don't understand.

And of course "how can we trust that the Pope is chosen by God if we acknowledge a bunch of them were corrupt?"

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 3, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Another big point of contention was "If Jesus is both human and divine... and he lost his cool and trashed that temple... wasn't that his human anger consuming him?" They really didn't like that for some reason I still don't understand.
God lost his cool all the time though. Remember that time Moses had to talk him down from murdering all the Israelites He just saved from Egypt?

Or the time He got in a snit and killed everyone on Earth including babies, except for one family.

If Jesus was God, He was remarkably chill.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 3, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Old Testament God is just a dick. That's just kind of taken for granted with Jesuit teaching, I think.

But yeah, I never really got why they didn't like that. Like, you keep telling me he's human and divine. So what's the big deal with me thinking he just lost his poo poo for a minute? I don't know. I was a kid without the necessary skills to argue my side and they were apparently bad at their jobs that they couldn't convince a kid.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

STAC Goat posted:

But yeah, I never really got why they didn't like that. Like, you keep telling me he's human and divine. So what's the big deal with me thinking he just lost his poo poo for a minute? I don't know. I was a kid without the necessary skills to argue my side and they were apparently bad at their jobs that they couldn't convince a kid.

I don't think that's really a fair criticism of anyone given how many examples people we've seen get convinced by factual argument in this thread. Persuasion is hard enough with adults.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fair. I could have just been a dick or stupid kid.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Meh. Catholics (Jesuits in particular) are the chillest, best Christians and they are still loving vile.

Getting angry at a kid and calling their parents on them is waaaaaay below par when it comes to how Christians treat children.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

nine-gear crow posted:

Hopefully this letter leads to the end of Breitbart, considering he's leaving the site because of it's literal ties to neo-nazis: https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/heres-how-breitbart-and-milo-smuggled-white-nationalism?utm_term=.mlmn2dy2R#.xglL1d513

This won't be the end of Milo, though. He's been getting more and more publicity for awhile now.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

viral spiral posted:

Hopefully this letter leads to the end of Breitbart, considering he's leaving the site because of it's literal ties to neo-nazis: https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/heres-how-breitbart-and-milo-smuggled-white-nationalism?utm_term=.mlmn2dy2R#.xglL1d513

This won't be the end of Milo, though. He's been getting more and more publicity for awhile now.

His daughters are even more nuts, especially Rebekah. Breitbart will remain and will probably be worse than ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Given all the money the Mercers spend on pee research, I'm disappointed there aren't more Steele dossier cts involving them.