Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Rubbing alcohol here is typically ethanol-based with MEK and bitterant added to make it lethally undrinkable. The other common alcohol is denatured, which is also mostly ethanol, with methanol added.

"Pure" isopropyl is a thing, but is bought by that name.

Most places that have bulk chemicals like that don't have anything with a useful name. "Brush Cleaner," "Glass Cleaner," "Japan Dryer," etc. Chemical product naming and labelling is a mess in the US.

I'm a bit confused by that last sentence, because it makes you sound like you're in the US. I'm not sure that I've ever seen anything labeled as rubbing alcohol being sold in the States that wasn't 70% to 90-something% isopropyl. Wikipedia says the ATF mandates "rubbing alcohols" contain acetone, MEK, and ethyl alcohol, but I'll be damned if I've ever seen anything like that being sold in a pharmacy or grocery store. Maybe if you're buying it at a paint supply shop or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jazzzzz posted:

I'm a bit confused by that last sentence, because it makes you sound like you're in the US. I'm not sure that I've ever seen anything labeled as rubbing alcohol being sold in the States that wasn't 70% to 90-something% isopropyl. Wikipedia says the ATF mandates "rubbing alcohols" contain acetone, MEK, and ethyl alcohol, but I'll be damned if I've ever seen anything like that being sold in a pharmacy or grocery store. Maybe if you're buying it at a paint supply shop or something?

Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, etc. If I'm gonna be brimming a tank, then I'm buying a gallon can of the stuff for $5, not the pints at Walgreen's for $3 each.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
This whole experiment doesn't make a ton of sense in the US since gas is at or under $3/gallon. Cheaper and/or easier to just fill the tank with gas and add a few ounces of stabilizer or sea foam. Plus it won't gently caress your paint if you spill it or potentially mess up a plastic tank (thank you, Euro bikes).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Anything premium at the pump without ethanol? Run it close to dry, brim it with that, don't sweat the rest.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
How long does DOT 4 brake fluid keep? Front reservoir is kissing the minimum level line and I need a small top up. A pint of fluid is literally cheap as chips but I don't want to be wasting 80% of the bottle from it going bad on a shelf if I can help it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

How long does DOT 4 brake fluid keep? Front reservoir is kissing the minimum level line and I need a small top up. A pint of fluid is literally cheap as chips but I don't want to be wasting 80% of the bottle from it going bad on a shelf if I can help it.

I don't know how long, but I've always tried to finish mine. Have used bottles over 2+ years, no change in how it looks or brakes. As long as the lid is tight, it isn't going to suddenly absorb a dangerous amount of water when you use it next year.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Just flush your whole system and then you won't have to worry about it again for a while.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

you'd be wasting the bottle if you just top up, it doesn't keep very long at all. Just flush the system like Mr. Littlefinger there says

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's hard to say exactly how much performance loss you would have from using an old bottle, but my attitude has always been that having the brake system work correctly is worth wasting 2 bucks worth of brake fluid.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Have you looked at your pads? I’m gonna go out on a limb you’re getting near needing a replacement. You should really never need to top off brake fluid. Additionally, you have the headache of fluid overflowing when you put new pads in.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

n8r posted:

Have you looked at your pads? I’m gonna go out on a limb you’re getting near needing a replacement. You should really never need to top off brake fluid. Additionally, you have the headache of fluid overflowing when you put new pads in.

Yeah, "just topping off" brake fluid isn't something that should ever happen without investigating why there's suddenly less fluid in the system than there was.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'll take a look. I know it's super subjective and heavily dependent on braking style, but what kind of lifetime do you all get out of your front pads?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I'll take a look. I know it's super subjective and heavily dependent on braking style, but what kind of lifetime do you all get out of your front pads?

Personally I find a not-bad rule of thumb is to swap them when you replace the front tyre - they're possibly good for two or maybe even three tyres worth of use depending on what front tyre you're using, but I've generally found they last me about halfway through the second tyre's life so why not do it all in one go? Likw you say though it's massively subjective (and the OE pads on the Monster seem to be made out of reinforced concrete because they've barely worn at all in the 5k miles it's taken me to wear out (alright square off) the front, so I won't be swapping them out this time)

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I put a larger tank on my DRZ400. This required a longer fuel line, and the position of the petcock is lower than stock now. Fuel is flowing to the carburetor because I can get it to run, but it is leeeeean as gently caress. Ran great with the stock tank. What is going on?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
petcock vacuum line?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Gas cap not venting?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

petcock vacuum line?

That'd be my guess. Do DRZ's have vacuum petcocks? I can't remember.

Either that or pipe/tank geometry means the float bowl can't fill fully anymore.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Bought a new battery something like 6 to 8 weeks ago, then left my key in the on position since Saturday, so the battery is completely dead. Worth putting it on a tender, or just buy a new battery?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Do you have a multimeter?

If you measure it and it's down at 0 volts it is dead dead. You may be able to recharge it somewhat but the battery is probably damaged. If it's only down to like 6v though I have had batteries come back from that point as long as they didn't sit there for too long.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i do this more often than i'd like because the tuono doesn't run the fan while it's off, sometimes i forget to come back and cut it off. overnight is usually just down to ~7.5 V though, so I just charge it back up. like sage said just check the voltages and charge it if it's got a reading

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I do have a voltmeter, but if it's definitely damaged I may just get a new battery. FWIW, my bike is very sensitive to voltage which means the second the battery gets below a certain capacity, it just instantly stops starting, with no hesitation starting the last time it worked. Maybe that's more common on modern bikes with EFI than I realized, but I just blame the British electronics.

I'll check the voltage today and see if it's something like 10v, but I kind of figured a new battery would be happening. I keep on leaving my key in my bike accidentally recently, but at least it's always been in the off position until now.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Razzled posted:

i do this more often than i'd like because the tuono doesn't run the fan while it's off, sometimes i forget to come back and cut it off. overnight is usually just down to ~7.5 V though, so I just charge it back up. like sage said just check the voltages and charge it if it's got a reading

Why do you want the fan running after the engine is off?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Elviscat posted:

Why do you want the fan running after the engine is off?

because in most days of hot atlanta traffic, my bike is idling at 100C

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Without the water pump spinning and circulating the coolant out of the hot engine through the radiators, the fan won't really be effective. It will just cool what's sitting in the radiators.

Obviously the solution is to get an air-cooled bike that runs its fan after you turn it off as factory ECM programming.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

Without the water pump spinning and circulating the coolant out of the hot engine through the radiators, the fan won't really be effective. It will just cool what's sitting in the radiators.

Heat will still convect and conduct into the place where it's coolest, so it does cool. Not as effective, but then again the engine is not adding more heat either.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Comedy turbo timer option.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Razzled posted:

because in most days of hot atlanta traffic, my bike is idling at 100C

That's right about where it's supposed to be, even if leaving the fan on made a measurable difference in how quickly the engine cooled down (it doesn't, unless you start the engine again to circulate water) it's better to let hot things that are supposed to be hot cool down slowly anyways.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I can’t imagine running the fan does anything to help. The engine isn’t getting any hotter. It’s only cooling down after you stop the engine.

If it’s cool enough to not explode while it’s running, it’s only getting better while it sits.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I can’t imagine running the fan does anything to help. The engine isn’t getting any hotter. It’s only cooling down after you stop the engine.

If it’s cool enough to not explode while it’s running, it’s only getting better while it sits.

ya i mean it's just a minor thing i'm kind of paranoid about. it's probably due for a coolant change at this point. think the last one was right on 5 years ago

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah this is dumb and totally unnecessary.

tjones
May 13, 2005
The fan running while the engine is off doesn't cool by any considerable amount because coolant has stopped cycling heat.

Your engine will also rise in temps briefly before cooling when it is shut off for the same reason.

Edit: Riding at speed to generate airflow to help drop temps is the best way to cool a bike before shutting it off.

tjones fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 2, 2017

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Trip report: checked my battery version with a MULTIMETER, it reported 0.2v. This is my new replacement harbor freight multimeter that I haven't used on anything yet so maybe it's messed up, but I took that to mean time for a new battery. My last HF multimeter never even died, I just lost it in a move and they gave me a free one at HF so I haven't wanted to look for the old one.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Check voltage on a known good battery (9volt will work if you don't have a car) to verify meter functionality. Sounds like your battery's toast though :(

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

The ninja 250's fan will stay on when you turn the key off, if the needle is over 75% of the heat range.

The obvious solution, however, is to turn the engine off 1 half-mile from home, coasting and paddling into your driveway. I've heard of a guy who undid the access cap to the crankshaft bolt en route and then coasting this way while bent over and rapidly turning a ratchet on it, but maybe that's going overboard, maybe.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
There's nothing wrong with the fan staying on after you flip the key off; Kawasakis at least do it because the fan is connected directly to the battery via a fuse and temperature switch, so it stays on until the sensor cools down enough regardless of whether the keys are in. But also there's no particular need for it to do that. It doesn't matter either way, but direct wiring keeps things simple and ensures the fan is unlikely to catch any electrical gremlins.

Also while I'm here I have a question about fuel hoses. I'm thinking of replacing mine; do I need new clips as well? It's basically a bit of wire, I can't see how it'd perish.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 3, 2017

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
There's a Right Kind of clamp to use that you crimp on and need to replace and should upgrade to if you can. I use the removable "death wish" kind.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Pictures would be helpful.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

But just reuse those wire ones.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Adbot