Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe you're playing in some super tiny little globular cluster???

I mean from a gameplay perspective I don't really care, I just think it would be neat to have another layer of the galaxy textures be a random assortment of tiny fake stars to give the illusion of galactic scale. For example, here's a space engine galaxy:

I tried to get something looking like that when I made my galaxy texture a few months ago, but I was unable to get it high enough resolution to preserve that much detail and settled for a more painterly, cloudy look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Viscardus posted:

If it's just about gameplay, why don't you wait until you play the new version of the game (or at least read more of the upcoming dev diaries so you get a fuller picture of the changes and what they allow) before deciding that it's terrible?

Because Hyperlanes already exist and are already terrible.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kainser posted:

I've heard this complaint before and I don't really get it. Is it that hard to pretend that the available systems are the relevant ones and the ones not shown simply aren't that important? It's like complaining that EU4 doesn't show every single hamlet in the world on the map.
I mean, I mentioned in my post before that one this is exactly what I do.

Hyperlanes help make that more believable.

Hamlet thing isn't the best comparison though 'cause systems aren't abstracted at all. Planet surfaces are abstracted, but not star systems. We see all the stars and all the planets clearly.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Viscardus posted:

If it's just about gameplay, why don't you wait until you play the new version of the game (or at least read more of the upcoming dev diaries so you get a fuller picture of the changes and what they allow) before deciding that it's terrible?

I mean I disagree with the guy but he has just as much right to speculate as anyone my dude

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

gowb posted:

I mean I disagree with the guy but he has just as much right to speculate as anyone my dude

Yeah but keeping on going on about how hyperlanes don't make any sense because you can't lay tarmac in space or whatever is a bit silly

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah but keeping on going on about how hyperlanes don't make any sense because you can't lay tarmac in space or whatever is a bit silly

Tell that to the Vogons!

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

His argument is a bit haphazard but I don't think he's saying it's not realistic, it's more like it doesn't fulfill the fantasy and freedom of a space game if your movement is constricted so much, which I can understand.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Stellaris - Wiz stuck his Hyperlane down my Wormhole and now it's Warped

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nevets posted:

yes

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

gowb posted:

His argument is a bit haphazard but I don't think he's saying it's not realistic, it's more like it doesn't fulfill the fantasy and freedom of a space game if your movement is constricted so much, which I can understand.

Yes, thank you.

Being forced to follow the roads makes it feel more like a ground game with a space skin.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Nevets posted:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Thread, settle something for me.

If your ships are not on the aggressive stance, they will not attack mining/research stations, correct?

Someone's insisting they do it regardless of stances despite the 1.8.3 changes and they won't listen to reason or patch notes (which are, apparently, wrong).

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

My fleets only attack mining stations and such if they're on aggressive, yeah.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Milky Moor posted:

If your ships are not on the aggressive stance, they will not attack mining/research stations, correct?

Someone's insisting they do it regardless of stances despite the 1.8.3 changes and they won't listen to reason or patch notes (which are, apparently, wrong).

He might be playing with one of the mods which adds weapons to civilian stations, in which case fleets will target them.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

They might engage them if they're on the way, perhaps?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

OddObserver posted:

They might engage them if they're on the way, perhaps?

No. Ships will not engage mining/research stations even if you directly order them to unless the fleet is set to aggressive (where they'll engage them as they encounter them). Passive ships will never engage them to the extent that there are many posts of people wondering why their ships won't attack them.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 3, 2017

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

I'm glad you've never changed, Milky. This has made my day.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

CrazyTolradi posted:

I'm glad you've never changed, Milky. This has made my day.

You should tell the thread about the strange bug you've encountered and the wrong patch notes.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Well yeah, space terrain majes it feel more like ground but space is also pretty empty and boring.

Also nearly every space game (4x or not) uses some form of space highways for ftl

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Bholder posted:

Well yeah, space terrain majes it feel more like ground but space is also pretty empty and boring.

Also nearly every space game (4x or not) uses some form of space highways for ftl

Which is why Stellaris was so cool, having ftl types that don't suck.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Shadowlyger posted:

Because Hyperlanes already exist and are already terrible.

Hyperlanes as they exist now and hyperlanes as they will exist when the update comes out are very different, though. If your complaint is about hyperlanes as a concept, that's irrelevant, but if you're genuinely concerned about the gameplay, you shouldn't be jumping to conclusions based on the previous system.

gowb posted:

Of course. I didn't mean to suggest that people can't speculate, just that it should be phrased as, you know, speculation. Saying "I'm concerned about this because I don't like hyperlanes and what I've seen so far hasn't changed my mind" is very different from "The game is ruined now", especially considering we're only two dev diaries into discussing the new features.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

Which is why Stellaris was so cool, having ftl types that don't suck.

It also let you charge the middle of the enemy capital without anything to hold you back

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Bholder posted:

It also let you charge the middle of the enemy capital without anything to hold you back

Yeah, that was cool and good.

Viscardus posted:

Hyperlanes as they exist now and hyperlanes as they will exist when the update comes out are very different, though. If your complaint is about hyperlanes as a concept, that's irrelevant, but if you're genuinely concerned about the gameplay, you shouldn't be jumping to conclusions based on the previous system.

They work exactly the same way, only slower because now you have to haul your rear end across each system you move through. And everyone is forced to use them instead of other, better ftl types.

Like, my most recent game is on a Huge galaxy, playing that poo poo with hyperlanes would be Super Cancer.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 3, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I wonder what it's like having the platonic form of poo poo taste.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

I wonder what it's like having the platonic form of poo poo taste.

Wouldn't know, why don't you tell the class.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Shadowlyger posted:

Wouldn't know, why don't you tell the class.

Class, Shadowlyger says he doesn't know what it's like. My word, it's like the taste equivalent of Dunning-Kruger

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
These changes sound great, though I will miss wormholes. Not warp, I hated warp. The jump drive thing will probably be tweaked later on to be more similar to how it is now, but if they really want to put the screws to you, especially with the psi jump drive, every jump should be without cooldown/5 day cooldown but comes with a roll to for your fleet to get possessed by a shroud entity. That'd be hilarious.

I do worry how the hyperlanes only will affect expansion and large empires, or if it now has no cooldown. When mixed with the faster sublight it may be faster, overall, than jump drives. That intuitively makes sense to me since it seems like hyperlanes should optimized to inject the most angry claw aliens into my population centers. I guess we'll see.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

I am a little worried at how fast they'll have to make sunlight speeds in order to have traveling across every system not be a chore.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm a bit sad about the other forms of FTL but this sounds like it's approaching an entirely new game. So I'm down for it. What's up with this scouting with science ships thing? The starbases alone sound magically delicious - will even the level 0 stations be able to get star system resources?

What would be an interesting mid-game quasi-crisis would be that some slowboated colonization fleet that sensibly realized that FTL travel was completely impossible and as such prepared a Big Dumb Object for interstellar travel reaches one of your core systems. This could take a range of forms, from "Zentraedi supervision army here to ensure you didn't reach the stars" to "giant generation ship that you have to do a quest/mission about" to, who knows what else, I'm sure there's some suitably depressing thing that can also be modelled.

Alternatively, they reach a habitable planet and interact with it. You may have to deal with some challenges if they were otherwise very advanced.

Would there be events and technology that affected hyperlanes, other than (presumably) some form of "the precursor star is not linked to until someone completes the research thread, at which point it is immediately linked right next to an AI empire's primary science ship so you never complete the quest line." Maybe not that last part. Isolationist empires might also have interest in cutting off or greatly deterring their points of contact with other empires, although this should not be cheap. (Another use for the new jump drives: The Isolate Richies have cut off their hyperlane networks... but you've figured out a way around it. Now they are ripe for the reaving.)

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
i never play with hyperlanes but these changes seem cool and good, to me.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Eiba posted:

To be honest hyperlanes help with verisimilitude issues for me, for reasons like this and the fact that otherwise galaxies are absurdly small.

I like the idea that there are only a few incredibly rare star systems that actually have these FTL facilitating filaments joining them together in a web. So out of the whole galaxy of billions of stars there are only a few hundred that actually matter to space empires because the rest are all lightyears apart and effectively un-exploitable.

Otherwise I'd want a map generation that didn't even pretend to be a whole galaxy. Just make it a tiny little region of space or some isolated star cluster.

That's the reason why I mostly play on elliptic maps: It makes it easier to imagine you're just playing inside some kind of globular cluster on the edge of the galaxy, instead of the galaxy itself. :v:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Nevets posted:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Shadowlyger posted:

My fleets only attack mining stations and such if they're on aggressive, yeah.
I figured out, they'll also only bomb away colonies in progress if they're on aggressive.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I am so excited for 1.9 that I momentarily forgot all my sports teams are bad.

e: the Unbidden and Contingency will actually be a threat now since you can't just go straight to their core systems so easily any more.

turn off the TV posted:

Stellaris is going to be a lovely game until I can hijack an enemy ship and send in a crack team of armed commandos to storm an enemy starbase and turn off its weapons systems so my fleet can capture in uncontested, then sit on that base until I eventually win the game on a technicality.

I need to rewatch this

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 3, 2017

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Been thinking of getting this game for quite a while but not sure. I played a little CK2 and couldn’t get into it, and that’s all the Paradox games I’ve played. I do enjoy a bit of Master of Orion, Galciv and Endless Space but this game looks much more complex. Is this a super fun engrossing game or a chore to play? Can someone sell me on this game?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Shadowlyger posted:

And the point I'm making is that this is stupid. There shouldn't be choke points in loving space.

Lmao, he says about a game with literally impossible technologies and occurrences

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Guys I'm as excited for 1.9 as the rest of you, but can we stop talking about LoGH up in here? You're making me want to rewatch it real bad, and I don't have anywhere near enough time for 100+ episodes of Boring Gay Germans in Space.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

I mean from a gameplay perspective I don't really care, I just think it would be neat to have another layer of the galaxy textures be a random assortment of tiny fake stars to give the illusion of galactic scale. For example, here's a space engine galaxy:

I tried to get something looking like that when I made my galaxy texture a few months ago, but I was unable to get it high enough resolution to preserve that much detail and settled for a more painterly, cloudy look.

Beautiful Universe mod on Steam Workshop, it's exactly what you want

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
These are exactly the changes the game needed and Stellaris will be vastly better for them.

The Europa series was objectively garbage before the Art of War fort changes, and I say this as someone with 1000+ hours in both EU3 and EU4. This looks like it's addressing the same key problem.

Update's gonna be awesome, wormholes were terrible, good riddance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Building giant rocket construction installations in modded KSP at lagrange points and hauling resources from nearby poo poo is the best fun.

• Locked thread