Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

bilperkins2 posted:

Is Refia worth Legend Diving if you have her BSB? Does the LM2 stack with Shout? I see it only affects one stat but I’m not sure if LM’s count on that front. I have Chant if that matters.

I don't think she is worth it, no. 5* motes are really rare and her LD isn't terribly exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Got some questions for you all:

1) How do Noctis' USB and OSB shields interact? Does the OSB 30% shield override the 100% USB shield?

2) Should I hone Tiamat for Alphinaud's USB? I'm not sure if I can get to the ~1200 MAG requirement.

3) What 6* non-Nightmare abilities should I go for? It seems like beyond Snowspell Strike none of them are really used.

4) Following that, what good are class motes if most of the 6* abilities aren't used much? IE are Monk motes useful if you have no plans for Lifebane spam?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ceaselessfuture posted:

1) How do Noctis' USB and OSB shields interact? Does the OSB 30% shield override the 100% USB shield?

2) Should I hone Tiamat for Alphinaud's USB? I'm not sure if I can get to the ~1200 MAG requirement.

3) What 6* non-Nightmare abilities should I go for? It seems like beyond Snowspell Strike none of them are really used.

4) Following that, what good are class motes if most of the 6* abilities aren't used much? IE are Monk motes useful if you have no plans for Lifebane spam?

1) newest shield overwrites the old one no matter how much is left, but I believe the buffs stick around as long as there's any shield up at all.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

ceaselessfuture posted:

Demonsblood is pretty good in some circumstances.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lol went 6/11 with both Refia USB and Ingus CSB

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Blegh, come on Dena, spellblades only have 1 good skill, at least spread the love. Ah well, I really needed thief motes too so that will have to console me.

Still badly need 5* Dex motes too, it's frustrating when you know having a few motes could help you a *lot* with magicite stuff. My poor Shadow has been waiting to finish his dive for over a month now, I'm pretty sure.

Hey there fellow "Shadow just needs a few more 5* dex motes to get his LM2" buddy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bruceski posted:

1) newest shield overwrites the old one no matter how much is left, but I believe the buffs stick around as long as there's any shield up at all.

Newest shield only overwrites the old one if the new shield would be stronger. So going OSB > USB is always a net gain and the OSB shield might soak up a stray hit before your pop the USB.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

So are these mini-event formats going to always have all of the levels available all at once? Because I like it a lot. I used up some stamina and then did the 1 stamina battles. It's nice to just do them when I want to/can instead of needing to wait so I can clear easy peasy but high-stamina content.

ceaselessfuture posted:

3) 6* Skills:
THEIF: Mug Bloodlust is handy if you have any theives (Zidane, Faris and Locke all use it when I need something from them) with good SBs.

DRAGOON: Sky High is really great if you have any solid Dragoons, especially wind-based ones. It's non-elemental/wind, so it fits into any Dragoon's toolkit pretty easily.

BARD: Allegro Con Moto gives 3x magic quickcast. The biggest issue is very few characters can use 6* Bard, but having 3x quick-cast is a handy tool for any mage team.

NINJA: Stitch in Time is getting a buff, apparently, that lets it boost magic and attack, with a debuff to defense. It's instant cast too! Right now it's handy for Edge or Shadow if you want ninja magic, and later on it'll be a handy self-buff.

SAMURAI: Demonsblood does AOE damage, which is rare for Samurai, and gives Retaliate, so it's a nice combo. On the other hand there's cheaper ways to get Retaliate and AOE damage, just not in one package.

KNIGHTS: Aegis Strike is AOE damage for Knights, which is the only Knight AOE skill right now. It's Holy, which is nice, but it uses Defense in its damage equation, so it needs you to stack stuff like Wall, Protect and maybe defense buffs like Taunt. Useful if you have a solid holy Knight!

MONK: Lifebane is pure damage. I can't think of any 6* capable monks who can't use Omega Drive, or any real reason you'd use Lifebane over OD outside of Prishe's BSB, which has a cmd1 that gets a boost from using monk skills. I have Prishe's BSB. I don't usually bother with Lifebane.

MACHINIST: Penalty Snipe is a bad joke. I guess it gives Machinists AOE damage aaand that is literally all it does. If you make this and don't shatter it for crystals you should feel bad. I made it and never shattered it and I feel bad.

4) There is nothing else job motes will be used for in the foreseeable future. I'd be careful with them, since they're such a limited resource (I made two snowspell strikes and now I'm waiting forever for more spellblade motes to give Squall and Bartz 6* access and I curse myself for being so shortsighted), but there's nothing else to use them for.

TL:DR; Job motes are only used for 6* skills; everything has at least a niche use, except for Penalty Snipe, which you can just harvest for crystals without looking back.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Awesome, thanks for the answers guys! Got a lot to think about now.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Zonko_T.M. posted:

MONK: Lifebane is pure damage. I can't think of any 6* capable monks who can't use Omega Drive, or any real reason you'd use Lifebane over OD outside of Prishe's BSB, which has a cmd1 that gets a boost from using monk skills. I have Prishe's BSB. I don't usually bother with Lifebane.
The one thing about Lifebane/Omega Drive is that you can only ever have one Omega Drive, and you may prefer to stick it on someone else in the party (like, say, Cloud or Noctis, with dualcast Combat chances).

Of course, the two compete for Fire Crystals, and I'd agree on honing Omega Drive first.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Some comments on the 6* Mote skills:

Snowspell Strike is clearly the winner, offering heavy damage and a double elemental coverage. There are also several possible users, many of them having dual cast spell blade Legend Dives or Materia. So many in fact, that I would be careful about creating extra copies to shatter, or going for that meager +3% damage mote dive. This skill is so good, that you probably just want to maximize the amount of people who have access to it.

Sky High is pretty bad. The gimmick of having multiple dragoons in the air is next to impossible to actually use, and the 5* Lightning and Wind dives already do a very similar job for much less investment and effort.

Lifebane is pretty good. It is almost directly comparable to Omega Drive in power, and since you can only have a single copy of Omega Drive, having a copy of Lifebane can be handy. I would seriously consider this skill on any good monk, especially if they are not explicitly elementally-themed. (Master Monk, Zell with his BSB) Dual Cast monk and +Monk Damage% make this skill great.

Mug Bloodlust is also one of the good abilities. It hits very hard, and provides a very rare buff to the user (+Atk/Def), while also debuffing the enemy. If you get any good Thief relics, definitely consider giving them access to this.

Aegis Strike I'd say is pretty bad. The Def-based damage formula is a bit finicky, as you need to stack things like Sentinel, Wall, Protectga, etc. And at the end of the day all you get is an AoE Saint Cross for your troubles. Multi-target bosses are already relatively rare, and holy weakness further narrows it down. This is still really nice for some specific battles like the FFT Torment, but I certainly wouldn't hone a copy.

Demonsblood is very lackluster, and not really worth resources. Retaliate is already pretty niche these days, and the AoE component has the exact same issue as Aegis Strike. Only this time you can't hit a weakness, either. Would not go past a r1 copy.

Stitch in Time is a bit awkward right now, but will be pretty excellent once the ability buffs hit later this month. HIts ok, but mainly used to provide a ninja +30% Atk/Mag, -30% Def buff that stacks with most things. Pure Mage ninja won't have that much use for it since their Mag cap is so low, but the physical attackers and Fujin will love this.

Penalty Strike is utter garbage. When the most common status vulnerability is "None", this skill has absolutely no use. When something is vulnerable to multiple status effects, you aren't going to need a 6* DPS skill. Also doesn't help that the Machinist school has since then been rethemed around Imperils instead.

Allegro Con Moto is very, very strong for mage teams. Quick Cast is good, having three quick casts is great. But it also has like... 5ish possible users? Basically craft it if you have a good bard AND a good mage team that could use even more speed.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 3, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Attestant posted:

Allegro Con Moto is very, very strong for mage teams. Quick Cast is good, having three quick casts is great. But it also has like... 5ish possible users? Basically craft it if you have a good bard AND a good mage team that could use even more speed.

It's also worth noting that if we get the second Brass de Bravo event like has been hinted will hit on the 21st, we will end up in Japan's situation where there is more Bard Motes out there than you really need, ever, meaning you'll be able to craft one copy for every character with the ability to use it and still have enough motes left over to get a character or two up to Lv3 on the sphere.

Also, while we're getting the 5* Wind Jump (Aerial Dive) soon (it should actually be in next week's event, I think), we don't have it quite yet.

Sky High will still be good for your Windy Goons for exactly one (1) week.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 3, 2017

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I'll probably give Tyro access to Allegro con Moto. Think the little weasel might finally be useful if I have him MM wall and then cast Curada and Allegro in a magicite or something.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mug Bloodlust is supposed to get a buff that'll boost the +Atk/Def buff, right?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Mug Bloodlust is supposed to get a buff that'll boost the +Atk/Def buff, right?

Yeah. It turns to a double hitting attack, with +30%/30% buff and -30%/30% debuff.

For full list of changes:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/114492-final-fantasy-record-keeper/75551378

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Also, there's across the board SB generation gain on abilities (currently, most 5* abilities generate 60 SB, while 6* abilities generate 70 SB):

(Fastcast means at least Celerity/Thief-level casting time; White Magic's slightly faster casts don't count)
Two notable exceptions: 2* Samurai ability Retaliate is 80 SB gain (presumably as a consolation offset for not getting hit), and 6* Dragoon ability Sky High is 90 SB gain (despite being elemental).

For comparison, a normal attack is 50 SB gain, being attacked is 50 SB gain, Lifesiphon is 150 SB gain, and Wrath is 180 SB gain. Ace Striker/Battleforged increases attack/ability SB gain by +50%, as does hitting a weakness (combined, they apply in order, so it's actually more than a +100%- a 60 SB gain hit becomes a 135 SB gain hit when hitting weakness under Ace Striker/Battleforged)
So under the new system Snowspell Strike, Meltdown, and Valigarmanda will be 180 SB gain if hitting a weakness under Ace Striker/Battleforged, compared to 225 SB gain by Lifesiphon or 270 SB gain by Wrath under the same conditions.
(This means Celes weakness hits for 240 SB gain with Snowspell Strike and 210 SB gain with 5* Spellblades with her LM2)

It's worth mentioning that there's a lot of animation changes, as well, mostly for faster animations and/or accommodating extra hits.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

does the spreading out of equal damage over multiple, weaker hits in this upcoming rebalance mean that some abilities will end up actually weaker because defense/resistance will apply multiple times or am i thinking of dark souls

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Cowcaster posted:

does the spreading out of equal damage over multiple, weaker hits in this upcoming rebalance mean that some abilities will end up actually weaker because defense/resistance will apply multiple times or am i thinking of dark souls

It makes them stronger because they won't run against the damage cap as easily.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
they'll be weaker when you're in the midgame probably but it's not like difficulty 120/140 stuff is particularly hard

for some of them it's just a straight huge buff for everybody, though. that Flare buff :eyepop:

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

When adding up total damage done, everything ends up equal or stronger. It's a pretty big buff overall because:

A: Less likelihood of hitting damage cap - Napkin mathing this a bit but... If you had an ability that did 11K damage per hit, that was previously capped at 10k, so you lost 1K damage. Now, that damage will (for the most part) be halved and done over 2 hits, so 5.5K damage done twice; meaning you actually get that extra 1K damage that was lost previously.

B: More hits for elemental abilities means chains build up faster and higher. Each stack of a chain is +1% damage for that element, so that can be a pretty big buff.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so defense isn't just a flat reduction then, so a hit that does 50 damage gets reduced by 10, but two hits at 25 gets reduced by 20

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011
As a new player should I throw a 10 pull on this new FFIII banner or hold it for a future banner. I have no idea what’s coming up or what’s super good yet. It sounds like a FFT banner coming up is going to be great?

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

No, DEF/RES is factored in before potency multipliers (which is what the ability buffs are changing), and elemental resistances are percentage based. A hit that does 50 damage is reduced by 20% (10). Two hits at 25 are reduced by 20% (5 * 2 = 10) so the same outcome.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Finished the Renewals except for some of the higher elites. Sitting on 712 mithril and no plan on which upcoming banner to blow them all on. Woo!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

BearPlayingGuitar posted:

As a new player should I throw a 10 pull on this new FFIII banner or hold it for a future banner. I have no idea what’s coming up or what’s super good yet. It sounds like a FFT banner coming up is going to be great?

It's an ok banner, but all the good items on it will reoccur on the next FF3 event, which has much better banner quality in general. This is also the last normal banner with two 6* rarity items. Starting from next weeks FF7 event, banners will start having three 6* items, and lowering the amount of old 5* SSB's. This is a good thing. So at the very least wait till next week.

The FFTA banner coming soon is great, but it's not the sort of a deal you MUST pull on. It's mainly notable for starring new toys for Ramza (the best physical support in the game) and introducing Marche (a knight DPS/party buff hybrid). Also starring Agrias' and Meliadoul's knight stuff. It's a very good banner for holy damage and physical party support.

But really, any standard banners starting from next week are going to be pretty good. We'll go FF7 -> FF4 -> FFTA -> FF9 in the next few weeks, unless DeNA changes things around. Also consider pulling if any of those games is a favourite!

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Next week should also have a dungeon update lucky banner which will be half-price.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I want to talk poo poo about OSB since they seem to be the only 6* the game wants to give, but so far they have been the deciding factor in these Jumpstarts for me.

Anyways just wanted to ask if BSB abilities affect OSB powered up by specific ability use. For example since Raijin's CMDs are classified as Monk abilities would they power up his OSB?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

I want to talk poo poo about OSB since they seem to be the only 6* the game wants to give, but so far they have been the deciding factor in these Jumpstarts for me.

Anyways just wanted to ask if BSB abilities affect OSB powered up by specific ability use. For example since Raijin's CMDs are classified as Monk abilities would they power up his OSB?

I have Bartz’ EnWater BSB and his OSB. His OSB is part water element so using his BSB does power up the OSB. I’ve been using it to get one final blow on Liquid Flame Magicite runs.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011

Attestant posted:

It's an ok banner, but all the good items on it will reoccur on the next FF3 event, which has much better banner quality in general. This is also the last normal banner with two 6* rarity items. Starting from next weeks FF7 event, banners will start having three 6* items, and lowering the amount of old 5* SSB's. This is a good thing. So at the very least wait till next week.

The FFTA banner coming soon is great, but it's not the sort of a deal you MUST pull on. It's mainly notable for starring new toys for Ramza (the best physical support in the game) and introducing Marche (a knight DPS/party buff hybrid). Also starring Agrias' and Meliadoul's knight stuff. It's a very good banner for holy damage and physical party support.

But really, any standard banners starting from next week are going to be pretty good. We'll go FF7 -> FF4 -> FFTA -> FF9 in the next few weeks, unless DeNA changes things around. Also consider pulling if any of those games is a favourite!

Thanks for the advice! I’ll definitely throw a pull into FFTA since I have a soft spot for marche from playing it as a kid. Maybe one into 7 & 4 as well since those are other nostalgia bombs for me.

Back to the mythril mines I go!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Yes they would power up his OSB. All BSB commands are coded as some ability school and will function with everything related. So iteration build up like Raijin's OSB, Double Cast Materia, etc. The only exception is USBs that feature a 100% doublecast at the cost of hones (Shantotto, Edea, Vivi). Since they use up hones for a 100% doublecast they explicitly do not trigger on any burst commands even if they are coded as Witch or Black Magic.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yes they would power up his OSB. All BSB commands are coded as some ability school and will function with everything related. So iteration build up like Raijin's OSB, Double Cast Materia, etc. The only exception is USBs that feature a 100% doublecast at the cost of hones (Shantotto, Edea, Vivi). Since they use up hones for a 100% doublecast they explicitly do not trigger on any burst commands even if they are coded as Witch or Black Magic.

Oh okay the exception is what tripped me up and had me thinking it was the rule.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

so defense isn't just a flat reduction then, so a hit that does 50 damage gets reduced by 10, but two hits at 25 gets reduced by 20

Yeah, you're thinking of Dark Souls. Defense acts as a multiplier in the calculation, so damage values are always proportional. In your example the two hits would each get reduced by 5.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
why

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Should've s/led when the attack animation started playing

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

:smug:

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

bilperkins2 posted:

Is Refia worth Legend Diving if you have her BSB? Does the LM2 stack with Shout? I see it only affects one stat but I’m not sure if LM’s count on that front. I have Chant if that matters.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I don't think she is worth it, no. 5* motes are really rare and her LD isn't terribly exciting.

Well, Refia was the first character I legend dived, with nothing but her BSB. It's not the most exciting compared to the trance forms and instant actions of other people's LM2's, but you also have to keep in mind that through the legend dive you're also getting 10% fire damage from her LM1 and another 9% fire damage, plus all the attack buffs and other stuff.

The buff DOES stack with Shout... at least, I'm pretty sure it stacks. I've seen a definite change in the amount of damage being done on BSB activation with and without the bonus after landing a crit. I'm honestly not sure if it's affected by the softcap. But it's come in awfully handy on Sealion magicite - when magicites got introduced I got my poo poo pushed in by everything but was able to eke out a victory over Sealion first, thanks in no small part to Refia being my primary damage dealer. The legend dive was totally worth it to me just for that.

If you already have strong fire options, maybe a legend dive on her is not the most attractive option. But I have her punching things a lot (just came in handy when I finally sat down to do the FFII Torment 300 so I could blitz the ice gigas down ASAP and keep him from countering everything) and she's definitely my strongest fire character, and even if they resist fire her BSB commands are non-elemental as well which is nice for bosses that resist all elements. So no, I don't regret diving her, but 5* Dex motes are a precious commodity now that the game's forgotten that they exist.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Does anybody have that list of what renewal dungeons drop which accessories handy, by any chance? I'm definitely not going to be able to clear all of the non-mythril stages but if there's a really good accessory with major resist / rare resistances, I want to grab it.

Generalissimo
Jun 13, 2003

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Does anybody have that list of what renewal dungeons drop which accessories handy, by any chance?

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/784gba/renewal_dungeons_complete_ability_accessory_guide/

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Refias dive essentially turns gives her BSB commands a stacking +50% self buff with every use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Refia is also one of the best choices for a Cloud USB RW strat, which incentivises pumping your damage up as high as possible. I have not regretted my Refia LD in the least. The LM2 is cool because I can use meteor crush once at the beginning of a fight and then not worry about spending an action refreshing the attack buff after her burst is up and running.

• Locked thread