Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Condiv posted:

if he joint fundraised with the DNC, that money would've gone into hillary's coffers and given her more of an advantage against him in the primary. hence the rigging part people are talking about democrazy

again, read up

Man, to think some people wonder why the DNC may have shown sympathy for Clinton, when Sanders and his supporters didn't do poo poo for them and actually trash them to distract from their own failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

What was the unfair advantage, other than not giving Bernie enough debates? She took Hillary Victory Fund money from down ballot, that doesn't sound like a primary's issue.

she wasn't allowed access to those funds during the primary. again, read the article nevvy. it says that right in the article. read the article nevvy

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

What was the unfair advantage, other than not giving Bernie enough debates? She took Hillary Victory Fund money from down ballot, that doesn't sound like a primary's issue.

It wasn't her money at the time!! It was the primary winner money, and the winner of the primary hadn't been determined! (Officially)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Democrazy posted:

Man, to think some people wonder why the DNC may have shown sympathy for Clinton, when Sanders and his supporters didn't do poo poo for them and actually trash them to distract from their own failures.

:rolleyes: sad democrazy

that's a real sad counterargument

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

No. Obviously not. But saying "more debates" isn't really much of an argument.

It is if the debates were hurting the candidate who had less popular positions, and that candidate controlled the organization responsible for scheduling the debates.

Democrazy posted:

You can't grow the leftist movement if you don't accept that more voters wanted Clinton to be president than Sanders.

Did they?

Maybe they did, and we should respect the will of the voters, hey you know what's a great way to determine the will of the voters: running an impartial election rather than letting one candidate control the process.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Democrazy posted:

Like I said earlier, completely disregarding how it affects Bernie, Hillary could have been running against a shoe and this would still be shady as gently caress. We shouldn’t be alright with this kind of unethical behavior.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Did she spend that money to improperly campaign against bernie? was it more money than she otherwise would have used? I'm still not seeing any evidence of real 'rigging' but I know dick all about finance.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Brony Car posted:

How much aid was DFA giving to him? Are they a big force?

This is really not the kind of thing you want to have when a race is tightening and it's all down to turnout. Can you really take all the #resist crowd for granted?

I'd still vote for Northam, but I got a queasy feeling about things are going to end up next Tuesday.

Not a loving clue. You'd have to ask Your Boy Fancy about that kind of thing and I don't know if the guy posting in D&D every day about turnout efforts and the importance of said turnout is too hot on talking about an organization withdrawing turnout support.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

Did she spend that money to improperly campaign against bernie? was it more money than she otherwise would have used? I'm still not seeing any evidence of real 'rigging' but I know dick all about finance.

yes. read the article nevvy. do you not know how to read?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

yes. read the article nevvy. do you not know how to read?

Care to quote the part substantiating that? I read it a few times. Saying that over and over isn't helping.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They were going to use my Academy's campus as morgue after 9-11. I walked out of a calc midterm, to watch the second tower come down from the water front. Some of y'all are young.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Read the article nevvy is my new ringtone

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Office Pig posted:

Not a loving clue. You'd have to ask Your Boy Fancy about that kind of thing and I don't know if the guy posting in D&D every day about turnout efforts and the importance of said turnout is too hot on talking about an organization withdrawing turnout support.

They're still helping other candidates, so maybe it's still okay? Then again, how many people go out to the ballot specifically to vote for a Lieutenant Governor or an assemblyman?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

Care to quote the part substantiating that? I read it a few times. Saying that over and over isn't helping.

quote:

Individuals who had maxed out their $2,700 contribution limit to the campaign could write an additional check for $353,400 to the Hillary Victory Fund—that figure represented $10,000 to each of the 32 states’ parties who were part of the Victory Fund agreement—$320,000—and $33,400 to the DNC. The money would be deposited in the states first, and transferred to the DNC shortly after that. Money in the battleground states usually stayed in that state, but all the other states funneled that money directly to the DNC, which quickly transferred the money to Brooklyn.

“Wait,” I said. “That victory fund was supposed to be for whoever was the nominee, and the state party races. You’re telling me that Hillary has been controlling it since before she got the nomination?

seriously nevvy, it's not a long article

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

theCalamity posted:

Like I said earlier, completely disregarding how it affects Bernie, Hillary could have been running against a shoe and this would still be shady as gently caress. We shouldn’t be alright with this kind of unethical behavior.

That's actually a fairly good point. We should make sure that funds are being used properly, that no debate questions are being leaked, and that campaigns shouldn't be stealing data from their opponents.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

seriously nevvy, it's not a long article

This doesn't prove that those funds were somehow used to rig the election against Bernie.

She had access to funds, and it says she used them to keep the DNC afloat.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

This doesn't prove that those funds were somehow used to rig the election against Bernie.

Holy loving poo poo, this post.

Taking those funds before the winner was officially decided IS rigging, you dunderhead.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

she used the money before she was allowed to use the money nevvy. this isn't hard, you're just playing dumb as always

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

I am deeply concerned as to why Nevvy is calling Donna Brazile and Elizabeth Warren liars.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So this article claims that Bernie signed the exact same joint fundraising agreement as Hillary so it's a normal thing and not anything to worry about, and they were treated the exact same actually, but wait:

Donna Brazile posted:

When I got back from a vacation in Martha’s Vineyard, I at last found the document that described it all: the Joint Fund-Raising Agreement between the DNC, the Hillary Victory Fund, and Hillary for America.

The agreement—signed by Amy Dacey, the former CEO of the DNC, and Robby Mook with a copy to Marc Elias—specified that in exchange for raising money and investing in the DNC, Hillary would control the party’s finances, strategy, and all the money raised. Her campaign had the right of refusal of who would be the party communications director, and it would make final decisions on all the other staff. The DNC also was required to consult with the campaign about all other staffing, budgeting, data, analytics, and mailings.

I had been wondering why it was that I couldn’t write a press release without passing it by Brooklyn. Well, here was the answer.

Clearly the agreements were not the same; both campaigns couldn't have the right to make the "final decisions" on all staff could they :thunk:
Was the DNC running all communications by the Bernie campaign too to make sure he approved of it, or just Hillary. Kind of weird that during a supposedly impartial election one candidate gets to control all the messaging being sent out to the rank-and-file, how impartial is that?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

she used the money before she was allowed to use the money nevvy. this isn't hard, you're just playing dumb as always

If people are going to make specific claims they should provide specific evidence.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

She had access to funds, and it says she used them to keep the DNC afloat.

And none of this Russia stuff proves that Russia helped Trump win right, for all we know he would have won anyway.

Hey Trump got more votes in swing states, that proves there couldn't have been anything untoward going on, because he got more votes right?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

If people are going to make specific claims they should provide specific evidence.

already have nevvy. and you shoved your fingers in your ears and said "i can't hear you!"

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Nevy dont forgot the DNC argued in court that as a private organization its their right to rig primaries even in direct contradiction of their own laws. And the judge said they were completely right and closed the case.

With all the info that has come out Im willing to believe it was a fair primary only out of incompetence.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bernie isn't even a factor here, it's just another reminder of how the party collectively chose to preemptively settle on a candidate that had already run an unexpectedly losing campaign.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 3, 2017

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Office Pig posted:

I’ve got a lot on my mind, yes

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

There's a reason we have ethical standards for managing elections: because the lolbertarian idea that all men are perfectly rational actors who unerringly act in their own long-term enlightened self-interest is glaringly false.

It is possible to sway elections by at least a certain amount by affecting things like turnout or name recognition or the public's knowledge of the issues, or the information the public receives from supposedly objective sources. If it weren't, and the vote totals were unquestionable proof of voter will as long as no one is directly stuffing ballot boxes or faking totals, then we wouldn't need any laws or rules at all about campaign finance, foreign interference, equal time, and all the rest of it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

big tactical mistake for bernie to extract the same deal as hillary where he got veto power over all hiring decisions and press releases and then not follow up on it at all.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

even worse was when he ok'ed DWS blasting him over hacking. seems like a bad choice in retrospect :shrug:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

gowb posted:

Is Donna implicating herself in the corruption? im failing to see what she gets out of this aside from maybe a clean conscience

She gets lots of free ad time for her new book.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

:doh: i just realized, by letting dws paint him as a hacker, bernie got tons of cred with all the kale loving, millenial hacker bros he was after (who then helped him kill hillary's chances :argh:)

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

awesmoe posted:

She gets lots of free ad time for her new book.

Knew there had to be something

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm hoping we'll see Northam lose especially after his racist comments. With the Donna Brazile revelations, I'm pretty happy overall with the downward trajectory of the Democrat party.

Further demoralization of the grassroots should lead to a mediocre 2018 for them and even better, another loss for the neolibs in 2020.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Leaving aside the Sanders part of this, Clinton should be getting torn apart for the siphoning of money from downticket races, the Democrats are dying in Congress and choking their funds seems really stupid.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

gowb posted:

Knew there had to be something

she also gets to reposition herself as bernie-wing, where previously she was seen as in clinton's pocket (because of the debate question thing). Eg last month when perez came up with the list of new DNC-at-large members, her being on it was used as a way to show that perez was shilling for and reinstating the old guard, and Brazile personally got a bunch of poo poo for it. This allows her to sidestep that accusation.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

InnercityGriot posted:

Leaving aside the Sanders part of this, Clinton should be getting torn apart for the siphoning of money from downticket races, the Democrats are dying in Congress and choking their funds seems really stupid.

Yeah wtf. Even if she had won, how was she going to get any of her platform passed or a supreme court justice nominated with a Republican-controlled congress. It would have been two years of getting nothing done followed by another midterm wipeout and probably an even crazier fascist running in 2020 with an even more dispirited Dem electorate.

Without the downticket, the only bills that would have reached her desk were regressive poo poo like cutting the safety net and raising taxes on the poor and more military spending on contractor profits oh wait now I understand.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Don't you understand? Hillary knows how to work with people, especially Republicans.

She went to a funeral one time and a BBQ. She would have had the Republicans eating out of her hands because she wasn't naive like Obama.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

shrike82 posted:

I'm hoping we'll see Northam lose especially after his racist comments. With the Donna Brazile revelations, I'm pretty happy overall with the downward trajectory of the Democrat party.

Further demoralization of the grassroots should lead to a mediocre 2018 for them and even better, another loss for the neolibs in 2020.

I understand the temptation to be vindictive but hoping real, actual people will come to harm is a lovely thing to do. I guarantee you leftism will not be in a better position in 2020 with one more Republican trifecta (because a Northam loss more or less guarantees that).

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Quorum posted:

I understand the temptation to be vindictive but hoping real, actual people will come to harm is a lovely thing to do. I guarantee you leftism will not be in a better position in 2020 with one more Republican trifecta (because a Northam loss more or less guarantees that).

shrike82 is a Trump voter, there is absolutely nothing to gain here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I read their platform and I might be a Justice Democrat, I find myself tending to support the DSA as well. I know the DSA isn't a party. Anyone have thoughts on this?

• Locked thread