Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
he is so up his own rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Dienes posted:

He also says he's read 200+ books a year from 2011-2014, 149 books in 2015, and a meager 62 books in 2016. This is all on top of the hundreds of re-readings of NotW. To be fair, some are children's books and manga, which would be quicker/easier than a novel, but 2014 he said he read 367, so....
Well, The Doors of Stone still hasn't happened after six years. There has to be something he's been doing.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Well, he's too fat for autofellatio.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Reading about this clownsnack makes me feel so much better about my own writing. If THIS motherfucker can get published then surely I can. Right? RIGHT?? :suicide:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I do wonder how he got his book deal in the first place...

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

TV Zombie posted:

A publisher apparently correctly reading the market.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TV Zombie posted:

It was a great pickup for whoever made that signing.
http://thewertzone.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/the-sff-all-time-sales-list.html

EDIT: But he won the Writers of the Future Contest in 2002 with the fake-Ruh revenge pieces of Wise Man's Fear, as "The Road to Levinshir", and that got him in front of publishers.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 1, 2017

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Reading about this clownsnack makes me feel so much better about my own writing. If THIS motherfucker can get published then surely I can. Right? RIGHT?? :suicide:

That's not how it works and it will make you insane if you let yourself think about it in these terms

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

That's not how it works and it will make you insane if you let yourself think about it in these terms
I think the suicide smiley was an acknowledgement of that.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/patrick-rothfuss-fantasy-next-superstar.html lots of sucking off going on in this article but there's a few gems

quote:

Shortly before his first book was published in 2007, fantasy author Patrick Rothfuss promised an interviewer that fans wouldn’t have to wait much longer to learn the fate of Kvothe, the roguish magician at the center of his story. He’d already written the next two books in the trilogy and would release them over the next two years. “You know the sophomore slump?” Rothfuss asked. “I don’t have to worry about that.”

A decade later, the first two installments in The Kingkiller Chronicle regularly appear atop the lists of the best fantasy books ever written ... Today, the third and final volume remains unpublished, and everywhere Rothfuss goes, fans ask when it will be ready. “They don’t realize this is so wearying,” he said with a sigh when we spoke a few weeks ago. “It’s like asking, ‘When are you going to get married? When are you going to go to law school?’ It’s like, just gently caress off. Just die. I don’t need any more of that in my life.”

:qq:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

That was painful to read.

"How dare you want the third book of this incredibly hyped up trilogy? You DARE question the awkward metaphor lord? You will be cast into the lake of fire!"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

That was painful to read.

"How dare you want the third book of this incredibly hyped up trilogy? You DARE question the awkward metaphor lord? You will be cast into the lake of fire!"

Not as painful as the mention that his two lovely books sit atop lists of the best fantasy books ever written.

When someone like Rothfuss is seen as one of the best (fantasy) writers today/ever Trump being president seems only logical because who else would be the most powerful person on earth in such a hosed up reality?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/patrick-rothfuss-fantasy-next-superstar.html lots of sucking off going on in this article but there's a few gems

:qq:

Renowned fantasy author and male feminist rothfart wants his fans to gently caress off and die because it's so wearying guys. kay.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I think the suicide smiley was an acknowledgement of that.

v:shobon:v

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

If the Kingkiller Duo is on top of Fantasy Books list, what are some good reads on that same list? Looking to read something new.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TV Zombie posted:

If the Kingkiller Duo is on top of Fantasy Books list, what are some good reads on that same list? Looking to read something new.

The Book of the New Sun.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The best three fantasy series written are The Lord of the Rings, Gormenghast, and The Book of the New Sun

and I haven't even come close to finishing Gormenghast, it's that good really

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

TV Zombie posted:

The "Best of Fantasy" lists that Kingkiller is on are basically nerd blogs writing down Lord of the Rings plus some bestseller crap from the last ten or fifteen years or so. Most people who read fantasy have goldfish memory in addition to clam chowder for brains.

Gollancz's Fantasy Masterworks series provides a pretty solid list. You can quibble with some of the entries (I'd remove Martin's Fevre Dream, for example) but they're all mostly good and won't waste your time. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_Masterworks

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

my bony fealty posted:

The best three fantasy series written are The Lord of the Rings, Gormenghast, and The Book of the New Sun

and I haven't even come close to finishing Gormenghast, it's that good really

Here's a fun fact about that Buzzfeed list that Rothfuss is on: Lord of the Rings ranks 4th below both Kingkiller and Song of Ice and Fire, as well as a Sanderson series I'm not familiar with. I'm not even that deep into fantasy and even I know that's wrong.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
It also lists the Sword of Truth pretty high, which tells me that list is poo poo.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

calandryll posted:

It also lists the Sword of Truth pretty high, which tells me that list is poo poo.
Seriously. If this isn't setting off all kinds of alarms, you don't know enough about Sword of Truth.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Buzzfeed is the video game journalism of regular journalism.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah Im not gonna pay too much attention to a list that has Eragon above Gormenghast

Rothfuss sucks anyone mentioned that recently. When I was visiting my hometown a few months ago it warmed my heart to hear my friend's sisters, both big fantasy nerds, complaining about their dumbass male friends telling them they had to read The Name of the Wind and one of em said she tried and it was bad male wish fulfillment garbage. Thats actually what sealed the deal for me that I wasn't gonna read them books.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

Yeah Im not gonna pay too much attention to a list that has Eragon above Gormenghast

Rothfuss sucks anyone mentioned that recently. When I was visiting my hometown a few months ago it warmed my heart to hear my friend's sisters, both big fantasy nerds, complaining about their dumbass male friends telling them they had to read The Name of the Wind and one of em said she tried and it was bad male wish fulfillment garbage. Thats actually what sealed the deal for me that I wasn't gonna read them books.

It's Twilight for boys.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

my bony fealty posted:

:lol:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

my bony fealty posted:

Yeah Im not gonna pay too much attention to a list that has Eragon

FTFY

I met Paolini in passing at a book signing in the Bozeman Costco once. Smug little gently caress gave me the instant, "ew, no"s.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I posted this in the PYF bad book thread not too long ago but my favorite Eragon thing is that large sections of the sequel were dedicated to Paolini jacking himself off about how smart he is for being an atheist, with one particular part having the ancient wise sage dragon explaining to Eragon that there is no afterlife because consciousness is a process of the physical body and there’s no existence outside of that material body.

Paolini was in such a rush to enlighten us that he had apparently forgotten that the villain of the first novel was a necromancer whose powers were derived from the spirits of the dead.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

"Consciousness is a bodily process" in this magic world where dragons can dump their consciousness into magical gem-hearts or some poo poo. Ok, Paolini, got it.

There's like a whole chapter in Eldest dedicated to Eragon and his cousin stripteasing each other while camping out in a monster cave under the pretense of "showing off battlescars." It was really gay and really sheds light on my taste in books while I was a teenager.

I loved hearing about how he was the youngest published fantasy author and it was almost inspirational to me as a kid, until I discovered his family owned the publishing company or some poo poo so it was literally just nepotism.

Basically I love talking poo poo about Eragon even more than I love talking poo poo about Rothfart's books.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's been years, but I remember one really great screw-up where he tried to get into the magical mechanics of "The Ancient Language" (:allears:) and it turned out that the relevant grammar wasn't just English but completely misunderstood English. Like, a spell backfired because Paolini thinks that the passive voice is the past tense or something.

Edit: found it, he thinks a noun is a verb

quote:

According to Paolini, when Eragon said: "Atra gülai un ilian tauthr ono un atra ono waíse skölir frá rauthr" in the first book, it translated to: "May luck and happiness follow you and may you be a shield from misfortune." He intended to say "be shielded" instead of "be a shield," and Oromis corrects his mistake in a rather puzzling manner. According to the elf, "Atra gülai un ilian tauthr ono un atra ono waíse sköliro frá rauthr," is the correct blessing and it translates to: "May luck and happiness follow you and may you be shielded from misfortune." His solution was to add the suffix –o to "skölir" in order to make it past tense. The only problem with this is that "be shielded" is not a past tense verb; it's a passive voice infinitive instead. Even more troubling is that "shield" in the phrase "be a shield" is a noun, not a verb, which means it can't be conjugated to be past tense anyway. So essentially what the –o suffix is actually doing is turning a noun form into a verb and making it passive by putting it into its perfect participle form.

What happened to not using participles? And why would Paolini include such an incredibly specialized suffix in his language that is capable of so many transformations in a single vowel?! The truth is that Paolini did this by accident, and I strongly suspect he did it because he has only a superficial understanding of the English language.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 3, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

You guys are reminding me that I have the first two Eragon books signed before I realized what a poo poo pile they were.

In my defense, i was like 13.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I just noticed that Buzzfeed list has the Riftwar Cycle as a single entry, while it has two different Robin Hobbs trilogies as their own entries. :psyduck:

Sure, some of the Riftwar books are petty bad (looking at you, Shards of a Broken Crown) but the original Riftwar trilogy is still a solid, if dated, series. Kelewan is also more fleshed out and detailed of a world than the one in Kingkiller and Kelewan isn't even the main setting of the books (except for the Daughter of the Empire trilogy but Feist didn't write those).

Betrayal at Krondor was also a fun game. Buggy as hell though.

HIJK posted:

It's Twilight for boys.

Author is a hack? Check.
Happened to be in the right place at the right time? Check.
Pathetic amounts of wish fulfillment oozes from the books? Check.
Fanfic based on it has become an even bigger hit? ...not yet.

3 out of 4 is close enough.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Evil Fluffy posted:

Author is a hack? Check.

I mean, it's already essentially Star Wars alt universe fanfic.

That said, Paradise Valley is a lovely place, and I highly suggest visiting if you have the opportunity. It's not surprising at all that someone was inspired to write a fantasy novel by living there. That part of Montana is like Lord of the Rings, only accessible by roads (mostly).

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i am paolini

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I posted this in the PYF bad book thread not too long ago but my favorite Eragon thing is that large sections of the sequel were dedicated to Paolini jacking himself off about how smart he is for being an atheist, with one particular part having the ancient wise sage dragon explaining to Eragon that there is no afterlife because consciousness is a process of the physical body and there’s no existence outside of that material body.

Paolini was in such a rush to enlighten us that he had apparently forgotten that the villain of the first novel was a necromancer whose powers were derived from the spirits of the dead.

Boy, they should have fired him for that blunder!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm so mad that Eragon exists.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Author is a hack? Check.

It might not be a fan fiction, but it's almost certainly a D&D player character story. So that hits the mark close enough.

More like the old paolinimony.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Evil Fluffy posted:

I just noticed that Buzzfeed list has the Riftwar Cycle as a single entry, while it has two different Robin Hobbs trilogies as their own entries. :psyduck:

Sure, some of the Riftwar books are petty bad (looking at you, Shards of a Broken Crown) but the original Riftwar trilogy is still a solid, if dated, series. Kelewan is also more fleshed out and detailed of a world than the one in Kingkiller and Kelewan isn't even the main setting of the books (except for the Daughter of the Empire trilogy but Feist didn't write those).

Feist is a pretty bad author, the Riftwar books are straight up transcription of tabletop RPG sessions fiction (Feist was part of an early third party D&D publisher) and the only reason Kelewan is interesting is because its a wholesale ripoff of Tekumel. Feist admitted it, but he still claims he was unaware when he wrote Magician. I don't buy it.

Betrayal at Krondor is a good video game though

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 3, 2017

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Cragon would be a better name for a book than Eragon

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Lightning Lord posted:

Betrayal at Krondor is a good video game though

Great game, but so difficult 14 year old me never beat it. Even cheating. This was before google when I could look up a FAQ for which route to take to not instantly get murdered, or what the secret is for a particular odd encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Eragon is another example of an author with potential getting ruined by hype. There's some decent stuff in the first book (like the dead baby) and if someone had mentored Paolini early on I think he could have been something special.

But that didn't happen, so...