Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

1password has a lastpass-style subscription where they host your vault (when you make your new vault your computer locally generates an authorization key that you need to enter the first time you need to authorize a new machine to download your encrypted vault. from there you use your vault password to decrypt and by default it keeps local encrypted copy of your vault in case you lose internet access). i think the non-subscription software is still sold and lets you use dropbox or icloud accounts for hosting your vault instead

is the hosted vault accessible thru the web or do you still need their software to do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

keep rear end portable doesn't need to be installed?

good point. this might be workable (technically against the rules to download and run anything even if there's no install but oh loving crackers i'm tired of these rules

lastpass is just easier though because I know at least dropbox is proxied off to inaccessibility on the 'net machines at work, i don't know what other cloud storage services are (probably all of them)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i desperately want a new job because of bullshit like this (ok this time it's not impacting my work but 99% of the time you bet it does)

but i'd miss all the tiny little bennies of working at this stupid place, like flexible schedule and being totally ok with t-shirt and jeans and boat shoes or whatever

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Ciaphas posted:

is the hosted vault accessible thru the web or do you still need their software to do it?

you can get your passwords through their website but personally that makes me uneasy. there's also browser extensions

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
more armv8.3 news

https://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/slides_23.pdf

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
is lastpass that bad if you don't install the browser plugin, which i was already not doing because it gets in slapfights with chrome/safari/whatevers own password autofill

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

if you're working someplace with an airgapped network they probably have a policy that says they monitor the internet facing stuff too, so be cautious accessing your passwords lest your employer record them and lose them in the inevitable breach

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Phobeste posted:

is lastpass that bad if you don't install the browser plugin, which i was already not doing because it gets in slapfights with chrome/safari/whatevers own password autofill

people will try to bargain literally anything as opposed to taking minor action

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Phobeste posted:

depends

does "whoops, lastpass hosed up their security and now an attacker could potentially have all your passwords" count as bad?

because that's happened more than once

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/TwitterGov/status/926267806261407744

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/926271887046361088

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 3, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

https://twitter.com/Nfinit/status/926223332147687425

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

https://twitter.com/lukasstefanko/status/926084558273044481

either pixel security is really good or no one targeted the pixel?

Adrian is right and iOS security is overblown :colbert:.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

legend

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the amount of journalists on twitter who are blown away that a single person at a tech company has the power to shut down any account

how do they even remember to breathe

and apparently that includes the guy who runs attrition.org https://twitter.com/attritionorg/status/926293099822833664

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 3, 2017

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Thanks Ants posted:

magento seems alright

someone in COBOL told me magento caches queries by writing them to a table then exec (select qyery_text from table_of_shame...)

if that's alright I'm OK with being not alright somewhere else

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

cis autodrag posted:

Grey forum Firefox thread is advocating using insecure branch "waterfox" again because dammit the new version of Firefox broke their extension to "unfuck the ui"

Imagine being so afraid of change that you'll forgo security updates and trustworthiness of the browser you run just so you can have square tabs in the bottom of your screen.

clearly should have stuck with Opera 12 :smuggo:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

https://twitter.com/lukasstefanko/status/926084558273044481

either pixel security is really good or no one targeted the pixel?

nobody wanted to own one

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

nobody wanted to own one

:drat:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Munkeymon posted:

nobody wanted to own one
Nice!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

anthonypants posted:

the amount of journalists on twitter who are blown away that a single person at a tech company has the power to shut down any account

how do they even remember to breathe

and apparently that includes the guy who runs attrition.org https://twitter.com/attritionorg/status/926293099822833664

Hi, I also have root. :thunk:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Whoa 1 person led to an 11 minute downtime for 1 account? are you friggin serious?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Whoa 1 person led to an 11 minute downtime for 1 account? are you friggin serious?

You seem to be disillusioned as to how many people have judge, jury & executioner (root) access over all the things you use daily.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SeaborneClink posted:

You seem to be disillusioned as to how many people have judge, jury & executioner (root) access over all the things you use daily.
think of all the things at work one of your computer janitors could do that would shut down your company

think of all the people who have commit access on a public software repo who could cause widespread havoc across the internet

think of all the people who single-handedly have the power to take down an entire cloud compute region

this is not new and it is not going away anytime soon and you are beyond naive if this is news to you

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
this isn't even unique to computers, either. anyone can throw a match into a folder warehouse. hell, there's several people around the globe that can just up and end civilization.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Truga posted:

hell, there's several people around the globe that can just up and end civilization.

how many of them are twitter support staff?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i don't think trump would go nuclear over getting banned from twitter, but i also didn't think he'd win so who knows.

gives a new meaning to hack the planet tho. steal trump's acc, get him banned, bathe in nukular hellfire.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

infernal machines posted:

how many of them are twitter support staff?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I think a lot of people just inherently trust tech companies to not do these types of mistakes and assume that there's enough competency that one disgruntled employee cannot shut the entire place down. Like they just could not believe a system like that would not have been fixed in the first place.

It's a good thing people start to realize this is misplaced trust and that the actual things are much worse and less competently set up than they think.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

see also: belief that chinese wall policies and similar information insulation can actually be successfully applied to the it side of investment banks and similar

all these momentous long-term trades have the potential to scroll by the screens of a lot of people, and little can be done about it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks Ants posted:

magento seems alright

ugh

one of my companies does e-commerce infrastructure and dealing with magento’s API stuff is ridiculous and flaky. same but less so with bigcommerce. the only one that seems to be built by sentient beings is shopify, which is happily where all the action is anyway

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SeaborneClink posted:

I think op needs to become disillusioned, they aren’t there yet.

what systems require more than a single employee to disable an account? I can’t think of any I know of outside of possibly banks (but I suspect they are equally vulnerable).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

MononcQc posted:

I think a lot of people just inherently trust tech companies to not do these types of mistakes and assume that there's enough competency that one disgruntled employee cannot shut the entire place down. Like they just could not believe a system like that would not have been fixed in the first place.

It's a good thing people start to realize this is misplaced trust and that the actual things are much worse and less competently set up than they think.

when i mentioned to a friend that maybe keeping a backup of her gmail poo poo locally might be a good idea (she uses a standard gmail account for work) as while the chances are astronomically low, google could at any time delete all her mail and there's nothing anyone could do about it.

she straight up said "no, no, that can't be possible", and refused to be convinced otherwise, despite claiming that if that were to happen, she's turbofucked. i guess it's never going to happen so it doesn't matter, but i'd be stressed the gently caress out living on the edge like that.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I got my own host name to use in a e-mail address (hosted by google) so that if poo poo hits the fan I can at least start running my own mail server and not vanish off the face of the earth with it for just that reason.

I also haven't figured out a full backup solution, but from time to time I sync a full snapshot of my e-mail account from thunderbird with a local save just in case. :ohdear:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

In this week's episode: Twitter discovers the concept of "insider risk".

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

anthonypants posted:

think of all the things at work one of your computer janitors could do that would shut down your company

think of all the people who have commit access on a public software repo who could cause widespread havoc across the internet

think of all the people who single-handedly have the power to take down an entire cloud compute region

this is not new and it is not going away anytime soon and you are beyond naive if this is news to you

a recent favourite at work was someone obliterating two thousand mailboxes because of a mistyped command in powershell, at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon. Microsoft's response was "those mailboxes are gone - don't even try getting them back"

Three days (including the weekend) and the guys had restored every email, through commvault somehow.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Ciaphas posted:

good point. this might be workable (technically against the rules to download and run anything even if there's no install but oh loving crackers i'm tired of these rules

lastpass is just easier though because I know at least dropbox is proxied off to inaccessibility on the 'net machines at work, i don't know what other cloud storage services are (probably all of them)

Ciaphas posted:

i desperately want a new job because of bullshit like this (ok this time it's not impacting my work but 99% of the time you bet it does)

but i'd miss all the tiny little bennies of working at this stupid place, like flexible schedule and being totally ok with t-shirt and jeans and boat shoes or whatever

why are you accessing clown hosted poo poo at work from a work machine? :thunk:

could you perhaps be.... the security fuckup? O_o

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

So what are the repercussions for this support guy? He has basically just made a personal attack on the POTUS.

Good luck getting on an airplane.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I think op needs to become disillusioned, they aren’t there yet.

what systems require more than a single employee to disable an account? I can’t think of any I know of outside of possibly banks (but I suspect they are equally vulnerable).

in most systems, a single employee can close an account, but customers are rarely exposed to that because if you want them to close your account then you're probably gonna get transferred between a few different people as they throw discounts at you and try to talk you out of it and purposely waste your time in hopes that you'll give up

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

MausoleumExtremist posted:

So what are the repercussions for this support guy? He has basically just made a personal attack on the POTUS.

no s/he didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

duTrieux. posted:

no s/he didn't

you know he's going to take it as a personal attack anyway

I hope the next guy does something harder to undo like changing the password and associated email

• Locked thread