Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Probably a dumb question, but has anyone witnessed someone backing down an on-ramp to an interstate when they are over halfway on it because they realized it was the wrong exit?

Close, I yelled at my Dad a while ago because he started to back up because he got halfway there and saw a traffic jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Had a guy behind me on the highway last night with his high beams on. I didn't want to drop back behind him to flash him to let him know so I just gave him the finger through my rear window for about 5 minutes straight. He dropped back like 6 car lengths, I guess he thought I was a crazy person, but he didn't turn his high beams off. I don't think he even knew they were on.

People driving with high beams on suck but don't flip people off.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

iospace posted:

I know of people who will tie them to their high-beams, which I guess if you don't want a separate switch sure, you can do that.

That's definitely a good idea. I put a set of big-rear end driving lights on my old car for road rallies- they had a switch and were tied to the high beam circuit. Vehicle code will usually say something like you can have two extra driving lights and they have to be turned off when you would dim the high beams. So maybe not legally required to be on the same switch but you have to turn them off at the same time. And then if you have a shitload on a light bar or they're higher than a certain height they have to be covered when on road.

I'm not sure how the LED bars count since they are a bunch of individual lights.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 1, 2017

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

I hate living in a state with no vehicle inspection.

1. Almost every car is a rusted out shitbox which is fine, but they inevitably have a completely decomposed exhaust systems that sound like an extended fart at 120 decibels that you can hear two blocks away.
2. People with their headlights pointing in completely different directions. As a rule one of them must be pointed directly at oncoming drivers and the other off the road.
3. Harley riders who have replaced their mufflers with straight pipes since there is no one to stop them. I can literally hear these guys over a half mile from my place in the summer as they gun it down the main crosstown road and if they go near my street I have to pause anything I'm watching since I can't hear the computer right in front of me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

-Zydeco- posted:

1. Almost every car is a rusted out shitbox which is fine, but they inevitably have a completely decomposed exhaust systems that sound like an extended fart at 120 decibels that you can hear two blocks away.
2. People with their headlights pointing in completely different directions. As a rule one of them must be pointed directly at oncoming drivers and the other off the road.
3. Harley riders who have replaced their mufflers with straight pipes since there is no one to stop them. I can literally hear these guys over a half mile from my place in the summer as they gun it down the main crosstown road and if they go near my street I have to pause anything I'm watching since I can't hear the computer right in front of me.

BUT MAH FREEDOMS :freep:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

iospace posted:

BUT MAH FREEDOMS :freep:

Forget yours, I want mine!

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

-Zydeco- posted:

WI has an OBD-II test and that's it. I'm not even sure you need all four wheels as long as the scanner says you're good to go.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I've often thought that it would be awesome to rig some sort of a shutter system in my back window that when I flip a switch turns my back window into a perfect mirror, shining the lights from the rear end in a top hat with the high beams / LED light bar right back at them without any active lighting coming from my car at all.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Locator posted:

I've often thought that it would be awesome to rig some sort of a shutter system in my back window that when I flip a switch turns my back window into a perfect mirror, shining the lights from the rear end in a top hat with the high beams / LED light bar right back at them without any active lighting coming from my car at all.

I need someone to explain a quick and reliable method to aim my side mirrors at the eyes of the person behind me.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

xzzy posted:

I need someone to explain a quick and reliable method to aim my side mirrors at the eyes of the person behind me.

I've tried that, but I think to make it work I'd need some sort of an in-mirror camera targeting system of some kind.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

-Zydeco- posted:

This needs to happen all over California.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl5-xl-Q2NQ

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Do single-use cameras still exist? When I was a kid I'd tear those apart after I finished the roll of film, you've got a battery, capacitor, and flash bulb all rigged up to a switch. Just stick one of those in the back window for high beam tailgaters.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Dielectric posted:

WI has an OBD-II test and that's it. I'm not even sure you need all four wheels as long as the scanner says you're good to go.

Only in certain counties. I haven’t had an inspection since I moved out of Milwaukee.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

I've been meaning to do that for a while, I have 3 memory settings for my mirrors so once I get it set right for the average SUV/pickup driver (because it's always an SUV or pickup) I should be golden.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

A big sheet of white retroreflector would probably be easier.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Had a guy behind me on the highway last night with his high beams on. I didn't want to drop back behind him to flash him to let him know so I just gave him the finger through my rear window for about 5 minutes straight. He dropped back like 6 car lengths, I guess he thought I was a crazy person, but he didn't turn his high beams off. I don't think he even knew they were on.

I have a Streamlight ProTac 2AA I keep in my car for work. It has a high, low, and strobe setting.

It's never taken anyone longer than about 5 seconds to get the loving point when I'm pointing it through the rear glass.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 2, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Javid posted:

A big sheet of white retroreflector would probably be easier.

I knew someone who put a couple of strips of this on his sun visors:

It's the same poo poo they add to hi-vis jackets and it bounces light back directly to the light source, regardless of angle

With the same intensity and brightness.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spog posted:

I knew someone who put a couple of strips of this on his sun visors:

It's the same poo poo they add to hi-vis jackets and it bounces light back directly to the light source, regardless of angle

With the same intensity and brightness.

That seems as though it would be hazardous to oncoming traffic when the Sun is low and directly ahead of you.

But maybe it has to be so low that it's not an issue at that point.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Platystemon posted:

That seems as though it would be hazardous to oncoming traffic when the Sun is low and directly ahead of you.

But maybe it has to be so low that it's not an issue at that point.

Nah, you put it on the side that faces backwards and use it on hi-beam tailgaters

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dagen H posted:

I-71/271?

I live just off of that split and surprisingly have never seen any significant traffic stupidity there. Most of the weaving and lane jockeying seems to get handled in the five lane section closer to SR18.

There are a lot of assholes who'll be in the inside lane on the 271 side taking the turn at 45 MPH and then decide they like the outside lane more while I'm coming up behind them at 70 though. Likewise in the other direction.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

-Zydeco- posted:

My (ex)wife managed a Starbucks on the coast highway and got sick of the straight pipe Harleys.

So she had bumper stickers make up that read:

THE LOUDER THE HOG
THE SMALLER THE LOG

Seriously. Funny as poo poo.

(I'm a cyclist).

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBLH8qvaIFg

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So question, is that a public camera or private camera pointed at the bridge?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Private IIRC

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
It is Private: frome their about page:

quote:

In April 2008, I set up a camera in one of our offices at Brightleaf Square and started recording the traffic at the bridge. The idea was that eventually I’d record a crash. Just a few weeks later a truck crashed into the trestle and I had my first recording. In June 2009, I set up another camera in a storefront across the street, and since then I have been recording the crashes from two angles (most of the time).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
From the schadenfreude thread:

Is it really that hard to move your loving car off the road if it starts to break down?

Also, because loving morons like that exist, road makers really should put emergency stopping lanes on both sides of multilane freeways.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Is it really that hard to move your loving car off the road if it starts to break down?

The white SUV shares just a bit of the blame too though. Either Mr. Magoo was the driver, or they need to get off their cell phone.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Craptacular posted:

The white SUV shares just a bit of the blame too though. Either Mr. Magoo was the driver, or they need to get off their cell phone.

I've been in a situation where the engine died and there was too much traffic to get over before the car stopped. We had to bail out of the back seat and start pushing, while massive trucks bore down on us and only swerved away at the lase second. (I-71 south of Cincinnati, btw). We got over, but came very close to dying several times.

I feel for the guy. His car is dead, he has no help, and cars are coming fast. There wasn't much he could do. He could have turned on his emergency flashers, though. That's on him and probably contributed.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If your engine shits you might lose steering, or not be able to get over due to traffic, or any number of things. Estimating the relative speed of vehicles around you is pretty basic driving stuff, so yeah.

Deteriorata posted:

He could have turned on his emergency flashers, though. That's on him and probably contributed.

True, but in daylight that might not do much anyway.

Back in August, my car took a poo poo in the left turn lane of a big arterial road (Sandy and 33rd in Portland). SO MANY PEOPLE couldn't mentally process the recipe of hazard lights + hood up + person standing next to car and figure out why my car wasn't moving, so they just stacked up in the turn lane while glaring at me until I walked over and said "car died, go around"; at which point like 3 cars would go around before the next one pulled up to my bumper.

People are loving stupid.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Javid posted:

If your engine shits you might lose steering,

No you won't. You'll lose power steering but that's not really relevant in a highway type situation. The faster you're going and the less angle you're going for the less important power steering assistance actually is. Losing power steering and then maneuvering around a parking lot is often challenging, but it's low speed and low stakes. Losing power steering and moving over a few lanes on a highway isn't really a big deal.

That said I do agree that there should always be breakdown lanes on both sides. Most US interstates have enough of a shoulder to pull over safely on but there are a few areas that are like the GIF. I don't like those areas. Traffic is of course a legitimate reason one might not be able to make it off the road.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Craptacular posted:

More than a bit, IMHO. Driver is clearly not paying attention. There's no good excuse for not seeing the stranded car well in advance.

I can see many situations where one could end up stranded in a lane for legitimate reasons. Yes, stranded car could/should have turned on his four ways, but that's about all the blame I'm going to assign to him.

Javid posted:

Forever and ever, amen.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

bolind posted:

I can see many situations where one could end up stranded in a lane for legitimate reasons. Yes, stranded car could/should have turned on his four ways, but that's about all the blame I'm going to assign to him.

Looking at that GIF a bunch of times, and staring at the front headlight assembly on the stranded car.... I think he does have the blinkers on (or at least a turn signal), but the crappy camera combined with direct sunlight makes it really hard to make out.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Javid posted:

If your engine shits you might lose steering, or not be able to get over due to traffic, or any number of things. Estimating the relative speed of vehicles around you is pretty basic driving stuff, so yeah.

I had a car stall at a traffic light on a 55mph road in heavy rain and fog. I was being passed by cars and semis on both sides at speed so gently caress anybody who thinks I was risking getting out of my sturdy metal cage. I got on 911 to request an officer to get his lights out but before he showed I was able to jog the loose connection at the DME relay to get the car going again. There were very nearly poopy pants involved and I'm just lucky this was pre-smartphone era.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Javid posted:

I live in a large subdivision where there are literally 100 different ways down different streets to get to your house or wherever you need to go. My kid's car broke a ball joint about 100 yards from our house. Anyways between the stranded car and a combination of parked cars along the street no one could get through. And this is a side street and not some major main drag of the addition.

I didn't have enough junk in my trunk to push it by myself. A guy pulls up, gets out and asks what's going on and sees the problem. Says "No problem, I'll help you push."

Then an asshat in a minivan pulls up as we are trying to push and is upset that we are blocking his way and demands answers. Probably one of those "you had to be there moments" but kind stranger and myself were so surprised by the stupidity flying out of this guy's mouth along with the going back and forth with him it was a WTF moment. Finally kind stranger tells him to eff off, turn around and find another way. We got the car moved.

To end this thrilling story, had my kid call AAA and have it flat bedded to our driveway. Probably the shortest tow of that guy's career.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Kind stranger sounds like a pretty Good Dude. Worthy of having a beer with.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah I'd be a "hey you need lunch? I'm buying" moment.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Kind stranger sounds like a pretty Good Dude. Worthy of having a beer with.

Yeah, there are good, sane people that can analyze a situation from time-to-time and are very helpful. Moments like those you realize all of humanity is not lost.

xzzy posted:

Yeah I'd be a "hey you need lunch? I'm buying" moment.

Agreed. Looking back I can't remember our farewells but I know I thanked him profusely.

I dunno, I look at it as a learning experience on human behavior.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
One day I'm going to go out drunk with a battery powered angle grinder and cut some straight pipe harleys' exhausts off at the head.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
These are the horses you share the road with.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weird-news/florida-woman-horseback-charged-dui-n817231

.161 BAC of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

:negative:

I let him get reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally far ahead of me before I went. Those tiles are 10+ lbs each.