Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Caufman posted:

Recommend me some games, folks. Any genre. Please just add a reason or two why you'd recommend it.

Obscurer games work better, of course. No one needs to repost something that's been said in the last few pages.

Here are some PC games I like that not many people have played

Aarklash: Legacy is a combat-focused Singleplayer RPG that mimics WoW's combat, but puts you in control of the entire party and lets you pause. It's tough, you need some pretty demanding tactics and a lot of situational awareness. It's the perfect game for people who ever played WoW or a WoW-like MMO and were dumbfounded by how bad their parties could be. I wouldn't pay full price but it's a good sale game.

Hero Siege is a weird incredibly janky twin-stick Diablo lootfest that fully released three years ago and still regularly gets very, very major updates. It's full of really bad voiceacting that you can tell the devs recorded themselves, with bad fake accents and all. Sometimes it's really loving stupid and things just kill you before you can react (good ol' classic D2 Reflect mobs) but hiding under the surface is a just plain fun mess of an experience with tons of poorly balanced classes (okay - that might have changed, I think the recent season/league tried to do some pretty big class rebalances but I haven't played it in a while), loot to collect, etc. I believe the recent Season/League also switched up the fundamentals of the game and you now traverse through an open world while you level up instead of a series of procedural arena-style stages. Full price is $15 with all three paid expansion DLCs, but during sales it often drops to like $2 for the base game and $1 for each expansion.

Thea: The Awakening is a singleplayer 4x survival RPG where instead of competing against other factions/empires on even footing with you, you compete against and survive in a world full of RPG-style events with a big splash of King of Dragon Pass thrown in. It's incredibly unique and I'd love to see more games like it.

Siralim 2 is an absurdly content-packed indie RPG about capturing monsters, using them to fight other monsters, and shitloads of upgrades and menus and stats and shops and currencies. Tons of spells, tons of modifiers that can be on those spells, an enormous cast of monsters that can be bred with each other to create even MORE monsters, every monster has a unique trait that has a big impact on battles. There are a billion different systems at play in this game and they all work so well together that it's shocking to me that this game isn't more popular than it is. Everything scales infinitely so there's technically no "endgame" but there is a core set of bosses at varying floors in the dungeon and they're very well-designed and require clever tactics or switching up your party composition. There are like 14 different gods to do quests for, each with unique spells and creatures as rewards and their own unique dungeon tilesets which come with their own bits of flavor.

Vagante is a real-time platforming/side-scrolling Roguelike (like, traditional roguelike - other than the fact that it's side-scrolling and real-time). I never really got in to Spelunky but Vagante is basically Spelunky with a heavier Roguelike lean and it's a cool game. However, it's EA and while I'm not 100% convinced it's abandoned, the dev kinda disappeared. Their last update was 5 months ago when they said the game was nearly complete and release-ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Friday the 13th is a choice for 1 vs Many, but the best is still Space Station 13 once you get through its oddities. Probably the single best game for that, as it features a large number of modes so the nature of the threat can often be unknown. Strictly, it isn't a 1 vs Many but rather a Few vs Many. Sometimes, it's a squad of bad dudes who have to steal nuclear launch codes from the station. Sometimes it's a changeling that has to suck people's DNA. Sometimes it's a traitor who has to kill the captain, or a Wizard that must corrupt the station with bad magicks, or an ooze that is trying to eat the whole station, or a rogue AI. Entirely player driven. You'll feel strong and capable in the Mark Watney way - sciencing up mad solutions to dealing with other people or alternatively simply because you can turn into a hulking abomination that spits acid and crushes people. So good.

Sometimes it's a possessed banana skin!

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Caufman posted:

Recommend me some games, folks. Any genre. Please just add a reason or two why you'd recommend it.

Obscurer games work better, of course. No one needs to repost something that's been said in the last few pages.

Creeper World 3: Arc Eternal

It's a combination of tower defense and RTS, where you build static emplacements against a gray goo type of enemy. The goo flows according to a fluid dynamic system, which is the core of the game. Figure out where it's going to flow, and how to shore up before you're flooded. Your turrets and whatnot can move, but very slowly, and they cannot shoot while doing so. You'll have to push forward while protecting your infrastructure, before the goo just spills over everything.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Meldonox posted:

What are some games with really good, preferably (but not necessarily) vocal soundtracks? I've been playing a lot of Nier: Automata lately and could stand some games that can I enjoy listening to as much as I enjoy playing.

Dragon's Dogma's music during a big fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp2fkcxlDgw

Reminiscent of Conan movie sound track. Victory build-up starts around 2:00, crescendos through 3:30

FINALLY hearing that after fighting for your life against a drake, across a forest for like 20-30 minutes real-time, game was amazing.

(yes yes someone can post flying into free if you need to)

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Supreme Allah posted:

(yes yes someone can post flying into free if you need to)

If you insist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZNbabKjKpA

For like the one of you that gives a poo poo, this was the original intro music for dragon's dogma but licensing issues got it pulled in later releases.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
Looking for a turnbased game like orignal sin 2, with a lot of creative spells and moves.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Been trying to narrow down some things to play with my dad, ideally stuff a little bit outside of his comfort zone if only for variety's sake. After a lot of demoing and goofing around with various games, I've got a rough idea of what he'll take to:

1) Needs to be above all else something that can be played by an old dude with minimal hand-eye coordination, so shooters and other action games are right out, OR needs to be a good backseat driver game where he has regular input into what's going on. He'll get bored just watching me play stuff.
2) Adventure games and anything adventure-adjacent, ranging from Myst to Telltale's stuff to Gone Home to HOGs to The Room to bespoke puzzle games like HexCells are in his wheelhouse. I don't actually need any recommendations for these, I have a ton already.
3) Minimal violence/gore type stuff, spooky stuff on the level of your standard cheesy HOG is fine, actually harrowing stuff like Alien: Isolation not so much.
4) On that note, anything with too much combat in general is probably a no-go, even if I play it for him.
5) Should lean towards immediate payoff rather than a slow burn. We don't have a lot of time to spend together each week, and his attention span isn't high to begin with.
6) Graphics aren't necessarily a deal breaker but he likes eye candy.
7) PC is preferred but if there's any hidden gems for Wii/WiiU I'd love to hear about 'em. Like just about any other casual gamer he likes a round or two of Wii Sports and etc.

Some non-adventure/puzzle games that had some promise:
Cities: Skylines (He enjoys watching the city grow even if he doesn't know all of the ins and outs of the mechanics involved.)
12 Labours of Hercules (Involved and just complex enough, seemed to like it the most compared to The Promised Land or Hero of the Kingdom.)
Goat Simulator (But I doubt it would hold his interest past the five minutes we goofed off in it.)

Some duds:
Portal (Couldn't handle the trickier bits, never really grokked portal logic.)
Mass Effect (Too much combat and fiddly RPG elements getting in the way of the story.)
The Promised Land (Immediately hated it, too slow.)
Hero of the Kingdom (Not enough interactivity to the gameplay.)

On the short list:
Alan Wake and LA Noire (Probably still too much combat though.)
Audiosurf and some other similar casual, arcade-y time wasters like One Finger Death Punch and Cook, Serve, Delicious
Simple platformers; he mentioned his passing interest/frustration with Sonic waaay back in the day so I might sit him down with Super Mario World or Commander Keen just to see what he thinks.
Small World

I'd be particularly interested in recommendations for more digital board games with local/hotseat multiplayer. Are there any co-op digital board games out there? Any good low-impact, non-Lego co-op platformers for that matter?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

John Murdoch posted:

I'd be particularly interested in recommendations for more digital board games with local/hotseat multiplayer. Are there any co-op digital board games out there? Any good low-impact, non-Lego co-op platformers for that matter?

Pandemic is a good co-op board game that will be on Steam later this year. No idea how well it'll translate to PC but the app version is fine.

Trine is a good co-op platformer, not sure if it's got too much hand-eye coordination though.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

John Murdoch posted:

Been trying to narrow down some things to play with my dad, ideally stuff a little bit outside of his comfort zone if only for variety's sake. After a lot of demoing and goofing around with various games, I've got a rough idea of what he'll take to:

1) Needs to be above all else something that can be played by an old dude with minimal hand-eye coordination, so shooters and other action games are right out, OR needs to be a good backseat driver game where he has regular input into what's going on. He'll get bored just watching me play stuff.
2) Adventure games and anything adventure-adjacent, ranging from Myst to Telltale's stuff to Gone Home to HOGs to The Room to bespoke puzzle games like HexCells are in his wheelhouse. I don't actually need any recommendations for these, I have a ton already.
3) Minimal violence/gore type stuff, spooky stuff on the level of your standard cheesy HOG is fine, actually harrowing stuff like Alien: Isolation not so much.
4) On that note, anything with too much combat in general is probably a no-go, even if I play it for him.
5) Should lean towards immediate payoff rather than a slow burn. We don't have a lot of time to spend together each week, and his attention span isn't high to begin with.
6) Graphics aren't necessarily a deal breaker but he likes eye candy.
7) PC is preferred but if there's any hidden gems for Wii/WiiU I'd love to hear about 'em. Like just about any other casual gamer he likes a round or two of Wii Sports and etc.

Some non-adventure/puzzle games that had some promise:
Cities: Skylines (He enjoys watching the city grow even if he doesn't know all of the ins and outs of the mechanics involved.)
12 Labours of Hercules (Involved and just complex enough, seemed to like it the most compared to The Promised Land or Hero of the Kingdom.)
Goat Simulator (But I doubt it would hold his interest past the five minutes we goofed off in it.)

Some duds:
Portal (Couldn't handle the trickier bits, never really grokked portal logic.)
Mass Effect (Too much combat and fiddly RPG elements getting in the way of the story.)
The Promised Land (Immediately hated it, too slow.)
Hero of the Kingdom (Not enough interactivity to the gameplay.)

On the short list:
Alan Wake and LA Noire (Probably still too much combat though.)
Audiosurf and some other similar casual, arcade-y time wasters like One Finger Death Punch and Cook, Serve, Delicious
Simple platformers; he mentioned his passing interest/frustration with Sonic waaay back in the day so I might sit him down with Super Mario World or Commander Keen just to see what he thinks.
Small World

What about SUPERHOT? No real hand eye coordination needed there but it's a fun shooter/puzzle type of game

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Pandemic is a good co-op board game that will be on Steam later this year. No idea how well it'll translate to PC but the app version is fine.

Trine is a good co-op platformer, not sure if it's got too much hand-eye coordination though.

Ooh, Pandemic will be perfect. He seemed to get a taste for tabletop stuff after my brother got me Forbidden Desert for Christmas a year or two back and we played it together and I'll gladly take digital over needing to wrangle a million little pieces. I could see a less-cutthroat version of something like Tharsis appealing to him too.

Trine did come to mind, but I recall finding it a bit too fiddly even by myself. :v:

nachos posted:

What about SUPERHOT? No real hand eye coordination needed there but it's a fun shooter/puzzle type of game

Too violent and too frustrating.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

John Murdoch posted:

Ooh, Pandemic will be perfect. He seemed to get a taste for tabletop stuff after my brother got me Forbidden Desert for Christmas a year or two back and we played it together and I'll gladly take digital over needing to wrangle a million little pieces. I could see a less-cutthroat version of something like Tharsis appealing to him too.

In a similar vein, Plague Inc. and Fate of the World?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Pretty sure most dads like Civilization. I can't comment on the best one to get though, I would assume 5

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If he likes Star Trek you get him the one where Leonard Nimoy narrates, which is 4 and also tied for the best one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZlWmYe8HM4

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
Something I can play with 5 friends. Friends who all have children, one who works stupid hours, and myself being in a time zone 15 hours ahead. Something turn based that we can each jump in to take a turn when we get time.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mister Adequate posted:

Plague Inc. is definitely a little too abstract and dark for his liking. Fate of the World sounds interesting but is probably a little too complex. Dunno if he'd be all that interested in the climate change politics angle either.

I've tried to sell him on Civilization before, but he didn't seem particularly intrigued by the premise. Admittedly it was a brief description rather than showing him it in action (easier than downloading the whole thing for a five minute demo), but even discounting all of the other reasons he might balk at it, with only an hour or two a week to play games Civ is maybe not a good fit... :v: I have had my eye on Predynastic Egypt though, so maybe I'll run the demo for that past him.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
For the dad who likes adventure games : Lucasarts remastered? Day of the tentacle, monkey island 1 and 2, full throttle

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lee Outrageous posted:

Something I can play with 5 friends. Friends who all have children, one who works stupid hours, and myself being in a time zone 15 hours ahead. Something turn based that we can each jump in to take a turn when we get time.

Age of Wonders 3 is very good and has cool PBEM now that doesn't even require e-mailing save files around
http://aow.triumph.net/dev-journal-the-return-of-pbem-multiplayer/

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

If he likes Star Trek you get him the one where Leonard Nimoy narrates, which is 4 and also tied for the best one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZlWmYe8HM4

I've played all the Civs plus Endless Legend and I still would go back to Civ 4 for Nimoy. Also its more likely his dad will prefer the 'real' setting of Civ to something like Endless Legend (which a lot of people would say is a better game).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

couple suggestions for your dad:

antichamber. Somewhat similar to the Room - puzzle game, immediate pay-off when you figure out a puzzle, and can jump from one puzzle to the next if you get stuck.
brothers-a tale of two sons. Adventure game, needs controller co-ordination but I think it's pretty lenient. Gets rather dark in places though.
Gone Home. Environmental/exploration story-telling.
Kerbal Space Program. Fling rockets into space like a madman.
IN the vein of Cities skylines; maybe Tropico?

As for actual board-game esque titles, it's difficult because they do usually deal with violence in some capacity. Maybe Crusader Kings? Invisible Inc is turn-based and most violence is non-lethal (tasers and such). There's also Costume Quest, a whimsical turn-based rpg-ish game about trick-or-treating by double fine.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

Fate of the world is incredibly hard.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mister Adequate posted:

In a similar vein, Plague Inc.

Oh eh look there's a bubonic plague outbreak in Madagascar right now. Time to play Plague Inc. again

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

close the airports.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

double nine posted:

couple suggestions for your dad:

antichamber. Somewhat similar to the Room - puzzle game, immediate pay-off when you figure out a puzzle, and can jump from one puzzle to the next if you get stuck.
brothers-a tale of two sons. Adventure game, needs controller co-ordination but I think it's pretty lenient. Gets rather dark in places though.
Gone Home. Environmental/exploration story-telling.
Kerbal Space Program. Fling rockets into space like a madman.
IN the vein of Cities skylines; maybe Tropico?

As for actual board-game esque titles, it's difficult because they do usually deal with violence in some capacity. Maybe Crusader Kings? Invisible Inc is turn-based and most violence is non-lethal (tasers and such). There's also Costume Quest, a whimsical turn-based rpg-ish game about trick-or-treating by double fine.

How much of Antichamber is dexterity-oriented, platform-y, hazard-dodging stuff versus pure puzzle solving? I had largely dismissed Portal-alikes since they like to stick in some kind of forced action element to spice things up, which will absolutely turn him off.

Gone Home's already on the short list (definitely adventure-adjacent) and I considered Brothers but the combination of controller focus and the depressing bits isn't the best.

Kerbal...ehh. I'd be worried that once he hits the hump between the basic mechanics and actually getting stuff done he'd give up on it.

Other city builders and similar sims aren't necessarily off the table but Skylines fills its niche perfectly enough that they'd have to be really different to catch his attention. The Anno games are more removed from Skyline's contemporary style but they're also a bit more technical and involved. Project Highrise is unique, but dunno if he's specifically into that scale. It's possible some of the older, single civ builders like CivCity Rome might be a hit, but that's all down to his taste. The Sims (3) is also in a weird grey area because he fell down the Second Life hole a long time ago, so a lot of the core Sims gameplay is passe for him. I might try spinning it as more of a "let's design and furnish an OTT house" simulator, since that's also more co-op friendly.

It's a little hard to pin down the violence stuff because he doesn't have the experience with games to really describe his exact tastes. I suspect it's pretty much entirely a hard violence/gore thing (won't bother showing him Wolfenstein any time soon), so tabletop/board game war game-y stuff might be way more palatable to him than he's letting on, simply because when I say something like "Civ is a game about conquering the world and fielding armies and building up cities and yadda yadda" for all I know he's immediately picturing something gruesome instead of something closer to "rook takes pawn". Crusader Kings is probably equally abstract, freeform, and goofy enough to appeal to him on some level, but he'll never make it past that learning cliff (I'm not even there myself). Invisible Inc. is too hardcore in terms of difficulty and learning curve.

Costume Quest is a very good idea. I've been completely forgetting Double Fine's non-adventure stuff. Stacking is probably right up his alley, and Psychonauts and Headlander might be funky enough to hold his attention. He'd also probably get a kick out of Brutal Legend, if only for a few minutes.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 3, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
This might be too obvious, but what about The Witness?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Maybe Tropico 4? It's a city builder but its really macrofocused so you don't really need to know the ins and outs to have fun and its got a lot of charm.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Troll answer: Dwarf Fortress.

What about Rocket League? Being "good" at it requires a lot but just having fun with it is barely one step above random flailing around.

If he likes puzzles and city builders them Factorio might be a good choice; I personally don't think the learning curve is very steep.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 3, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

How much of Antichamber is dexterity-oriented, platform-y, hazard-dodging stuff versus pure puzzle solving? I had largely dismissed Portal-alikes since they like to stick in some kind of forced action element to spice things up, which will absolutely turn him off.

Antichamber is has no hazards that I can remember. Mostly it's about exploring a 3D space and the twisted mindfuckery that happens with dev-placed (invisible) portals, like a seemingly endless spiral until/unless you turn around after entering it, for example. It's a very relaxing game, imo. Maybe some of the later puzzles have that element and I've just forgotten it, but even if that is the case, you'll be able to enjoy yourselves for several hours at least.

I will note that there is a timer in the game, but without spoiling anything, don't worry too much about it. Additionally, the game is very good about having multiple paths to explore at any one time, with a good overview map to navigate places you haven't been before.

e: it is a pretty abstract game though.

double nine fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 3, 2017

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
What is the best Pirate and/or sailing ship combat game out there at the moment?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Eela6 posted:

This might be too obvious, but what about The Witness?

He had his eye on it for a while but when I explained it was line puzzles the whole way through he lost interest.

Though I'm gonna repeat that we've got adventure and puzzle stuff abundantly covered already. Point is to have something to play beyond a six year backlog of those. :v:

DreamShipWrecked posted:

What about Rocket League? Being "good" at it requires a lot but just having fun with it is barely one step above random flailing around.

If he likes puzzles and city builders them Factorio might be a good choice; I personally don't think the learning curve is very steep.

On the one hand I straight-up asked him about car stuff since I have a bunch of random racing games and he seemed ambivalent-to-negative. On the other hand, he doesn't outright hate sports stuff. I think learning the controls and the teamplay aspect might be too much for him.

That said, he's a baseball fan and likes golf well enough, so anything good along those lines might do it. Unfortunately I don't know of any standout games for either on PC, at least nothing contemporary. I outright told him he might be better off poking around for a cheapo Flash golf game. He'd probably be reasonably content with that ancient Candystand mini-golf Shockwave game. The ones I've seen either lean heavily into the wacky, sprawling mini-golf stuff or go the other way into full blown golf sim with very little in-between.

I think the sheer vastness of Factorio might be the complicating factor. I did have a handful of other "problem solving" style games on the list, but then took most of them off because he's a programmer and he'd really rather not come home from doing that just to do more of it. He couldn't wrap his head around SpaceChem. The only one I kept handy is Infinifactory so that one is still TBD.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 3, 2017

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

deep dish peat moss posted:

Age of Wonders 3 is very good and has cool PBEM now that doesn't even require e-mailing save files around
http://aow.triumph.net/dev-journal-the-return-of-pbem-multiplayer/

That looks really good! Thanks!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
My 5-year-old is obsessed with ninjas and the stealth aspect of ninja-ing. What I’m really looking for is “Tenchu for kids” but that doesn’t exist so I’m hoping someone has a good idea...

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

nessin posted:

What is the best Pirate and/or sailing ship combat game out there at the moment?

The best? That's got to be Pirates of the Caribbean. I'm not kidding, the makers of Sea Dogs made a licensed Pirates of the Caribbean game, and with the New Horizons mod it is legitimately the greatest out there for doing pretty much anything you'd want, even if it is quite janky. You can turn on an Ironman mode which actually takes away overworld transit and makes it so you have to plot courses manually, and can even do it all in real time!

Why cookie Rocket posted:

My 5-year-old is obsessed with ninjas and the stealth aspect of ninja-ing. What I’m really looking for is “Tenchu for kids” but that doesn’t exist so I’m hoping someone has a good idea...

Is Tenchu itself not fine? If memory serves, it's not that hard. Shinobido is another option for ninja games that aren't too difficult, though that one has a fair bit of jank to it that a kid may not fully appreciate. You can also opt for Mini Ninjas by Io Interactive (makers of Hitman and Kane and Lynch) if you're looking for something cutesy or you can go for Shadow Tactics Blade of the Shogun if you want something a little smarter yet still approachable.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Is Tenchu itself not fine? If memory serves, it's not that hard. Shinobido is another option for ninja games that aren't too difficult, though that one has a fair bit of jank to it that a kid may not fully appreciate. You can also opt for Mini Ninjas by Io Interactive (makers of Hitman and Kane and Lynch) if you're looking for something cutesy or you can go for Shadow Tactics Blade of the Shogun if you want something a little smarter yet still approachable.

I suspect the concern is more "5 year old; holy poo poo that's a lot of blood," rather than "5 year old; maybe this is too hard for him."

It's not exactly Tenchu, but the Sly Cooper series is a bunch of solid to great stealth-platformers, and it's pretty kid-friendly.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Keeshhound posted:

I suspect the concern is more "5 year old; holy poo poo that's a lot of blood," rather than "5 year old; maybe this is too hard for him."

It's not exactly Tenchu, but the Sly Cooper series is a bunch of solid to great stealth-platformers, and it's pretty kid-friendly.

Eh, I played it at 5 so I don't see the problem.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Just reminiscing about the fountain of blood that shoots out when you slit someone's throat in Tenchu. That poo poo was so boss when I was a kid.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Mark of the Ninja is cartoony but might be too violent? I don't know.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Yeah I’m trying to avoid realistic gore until he’s about 8 or so. Thanks for the recommendations, Mark of the Ninja looks close but I’d take any other games that anyone wants to nominate!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Maybe the new Strider? It's not a stealth game but it's a kid-friendly ninja game.

It's funny how most of the great stealth games I can think of aren't really appropriate for real little kids.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Little kids need to practice IRL stealth from their parents in order to play violent non-kids' stealth games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
He's five, I wonder if you could trust him with Mark of the Ninja if you convinced him that the coolest ninjas go for the pacifist playthrough.

EDIT: Just remembered that one of the costumes disables the sword entirely, which is honestly the most visually violent weapon in the game. Maybe play through it before hand to unlock that and don't tell him he can switch?