Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

walrusman posted:

Man, they really oughta just raise that bridge!

:downs:

:ever-expanding-downs:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

This is ridiculously dumb. "Child sex offender" is ridiculously overbroad, it includes a hell of a lot more than "child rapists" or even, well, child sex offenders. People under the age of 18 have been required to register as child sex offenders for having consensual sex with their boyfriend or girlfriend who is also under the age of 18. Even in the cases where such activities rise to the level of actual crimes, we're in the position of saying "Well, these people are too young and lack the understanding to try them as adults, but they're old enough for us to attach a label to them which prohibits them from living or working in a great many places and makes it virtually impossible to find a decent job or a permanent home or form meaningful attachments in the community for the rest of their lives." And now we're going to put that on passports? The stuff you did in high school might have qualified you for permanent registry as a sex offender if you'd been caught doing it: "Let's go streaking through the quad!" becomes a life sentence. Teenagers have been registered for taking nude photos of *themselves* and sending them to their boyfriend or girlfriend. Christ, people have been entered into sex offender registries for public urination, which is literally the least sexual thing you can do with your pants off.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2007/09/11/us-sex-offender-laws-may-do-more-harm-good
https://www.hrw.org/report/2013/05/01/raised-registry/irreparable-harm-placing-children-sex-offender-registries-us
https://news.vice.com/article/california-has-realized-that-sex-offender-registries-dont-work
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-22/barns-its-time-to-rethink-sex-offender-registers/5832176
http://www.sacbee.com/opinion/op-ed/soapbox/article178572756.html
https://nypost.com/2013/10/11/teen-who-faced-sex-offenders-list-for-streaking-commits-suicide/
https://qz.com/708265/why-sex-offender-registries-dont-work/
https://www.publicintegrity.org/2013/05/01/12594/report-details-lives-ruined-children-put-sex-offender-registries

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 04:01 on Nov 3, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

AlmightyBob posted:

Is that the only street to that part of town or something?

Not even close.

Plenty of other places to cross the tracks that are less than half a mile away.

There are no boundaries on stupidity and laziness.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I feel like if emergency services hadn't been there, one of those coach buses at the end would have been its next victims.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Memento posted:

Not even close.

Plenty of other places to cross the tracks that are less than half a mile away.

There are no boundaries on stupidity and laziness.

You're burying the lead here.

The 11 foot 8 bridge is a major landmark on google maps. It currently has a 4.6 star rating and according to a review there are t-shirts specifically for the bridge on sale next to it.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

It also has it's own wikipedia page wherein I learned that that isn't just any stop light, it's specifically programmed to turn red if there's an oversized truck coming. Which makes the ones where the driver is trying to beat the red even funnier.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Foxhound posted:

So what is a "patch" and what does "burning" it mean?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Why do some idiots take airsoft so seriously?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Those must be some nice patches.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Testekill posted:

Why do some idiots take airsoft so seriously?

Gonna say it's what happens when you get someone who desperately wants to join the army to kill people but is also too out-of-shape, mentally incompetent, or just plain lazy to actually enlist.

I used to play ArmA (mil-sim video game) with goons and it attracted the same type of person. Arrogant assholes who'd take everything way too seriously, spend hours arguing about inane poo poo like whether you were marching in proper formation (yes really), and act like they were all cold-blooded tactical operators despite being obese invalid shutins. One guy once tried to take control of a mission after the commander had been killed, citing his experience with "look, guys, I've been in the poo poo at the big airsoft shoot, and--" but fortunately got cut off with laughter.

And the goons were still the best outfit to play with. There are other ArmA groups out there where everyone has to file after-action reports on their forums after every mission, and that have a full-on rank structure where if your "commanding officer" walks by you need to salute him (there is a button for it) or risk demotion. Like, seriously just join the loving army at that point

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Sagebrush posted:

Gonna say it's what happens when you get someone who desperately wants to join the army to kill people but is also too out-of-shape, mentally incompetent, or just plain lazy to actually enlist.

I used to play ArmA (mil-sim video game) with goons and it attracted the same type of person. Arrogant assholes who'd take everything way too seriously, spend hours arguing about inane poo poo like whether you were marching in proper formation (yes really), and act like they were all cold-blooded tactical operators despite being obese invalid shutins. One guy once tried to take control of a mission after the commander had been killed, citing his experience with "look, guys, I've been in the poo poo at the big airsoft shoot, and--" but fortunately got cut off with laughter.

And the goons were still the best outfit to play with. There are other ArmA groups out there where everyone has to file after-action reports on their forums after every mission, and that have a full-on rank structure where if your "commanding officer" walks by you need to salute him (there is a button for it) or risk demotion. Like, seriously just join the loving army at that point

You know, I was going to call them military freaks but I thought that might be a bit unfair. I guess I was actually right on the money

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
How many times do I get to TK him and say "whoops which one is salute again?"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Zero. Most of the serious outfits would immediately ban you for teamkilling. They'll kick you from the game for an "ND", negligent discharge -- i.e. firing a shot when you weren't authorized to by your commander.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Zero. Most of the serious outfits would immediately ban you for teamkilling. They'll kick you from the game for an "ND", negligent discharge -- i.e. firing a shot when you weren't authorized to by your commander.

Pffft, may as well just join the real Army if you're gonna take all the fun out of shooting your friends with bb guns.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Like, seriously just join the loving army at that point

Nobody in the actual military cares anywhere near as much about this kind of dumb bullshit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sagebrush posted:

What if the guy you shot was the commander? Then you just ran around screaming "I GOT YOU, YOU'RE DEAD YOU CAN'T MOVE AROUND, BILLY, I GOT YOU!"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dave Grool posted:

Nobody in the actual military cares anywhere near as much about this kind of dumb bullshit.

quoted for the loving truth

If you want to read how much of a poo poo anyone in the armed forces gives, read the idiots thread in Goons in Platoons.

Read it anyway, it's 300 pages of hilarity.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Kanish posted:

why dont they lower the road

What they SHOULD do is put a steel bar in front of the trucks to protect them from any bridges that are oblivious to the numerous warning lights.

Real post: I was honestly worried that those runners were going to be passing under the bridge when the truck got eaten. :ohdear:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

They've apparently done everything they feasibly can to deter truck drivers, and the idiots still keep on hittin' the bridge.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pffft, may as well just join the real Army if you're gonna take all the fun out of shooting your friends with bb guns.

But they use BULLETS in the Army!

REAL BULLETS!

Samizdata has a new favorite as of 06:03 on Nov 3, 2017

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Jamfrost posted:

Those must be some nice patches.

First google hit on custom patches, for 100% embroidery, you can get 4" patches for $18 each with a minimum-size order of 10. Less than the cost of one gun can get a whole squad unique patches. They sure as gently caress don't cost $100-200 each like that first youtube comment.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Pyroclastic posted:

First google hit on custom patches, for 100% embroidery, you can get 4" patches for $18 each with a minimum-size order of 10. Less than the cost of one gun can get a whole squad unique patches. They sure as gently caress don't cost $100-200 each like that first youtube comment.

they do when you get Kevin's mom to do the embroidery and Kevin needs a new PS4

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Man, where I did airsoft it was basically some buddies and myself back in vermont roleplaying the Winter War and ambushing each other in the woods and then going home and playing video games after we inevitably got too cold. The one time I played Arma with people in my squadron we just ran around gleefully breaking as many rules as possible like some kind of heavily armed Dukes of Hazzard. The fact that some people fetishize the military so much that they spend their free time role playing a bullshit military bureaucracy and yelling at people for not being moto enough just boggles my mind :psyduck:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Queering Wheel posted:

I think it's safe to say that this bridge has gotten its mojo back. The new warning signs aren't working quite as well as predicted.

The warning sign "overheight must turn right" does not mean YOU are overheight, it just means "all overheight vehicles must turn right"

They see that and think "good thing I'm not overheight!"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Have we seen two trucks hitting it at the same time yet?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Sagebrush posted:

These are the people ruining ArmA, you just want to join a friendly server to kill some arms mans and immediately some guy is yelling at you to line the gently caress up and salute with the rest of those fuckers.

I just want to pick up my rifle and my rocket launcher and kill the tank :(

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

In that case, I’d just play along... then “fatfinger” dropping a grenade right in the middle of them.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Have we seen two trucks hitting it at the same time yet?

The closest you get is this video of two crashes in one day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvlvfY6lOyg

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kanish posted:

why dont they lower the road

Tbh they should lower the bridge

No wait hear me out, build big structures around it and a lower ceiling, make it so it’s like entering a tunnel that’s really obviously a tight fit, that’ll get people’s attention more

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Data Graham posted:

Tbh they should lower the bridge

No wait hear me out, build big structures around it and a lower ceiling, make it so it’s like entering a tunnel that’s really obviously a tight fit, that’ll get people’s attention more

http://wkrg.com/2017/06/28/why-do-trucks-keep-getting-stuck-in-the-bankhead/

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

EightDeer posted:

The closest you get is this video of two crashes in one day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvlvfY6lOyg

This one is great for 2 wrecks in a day from the same rental truck company. The laughing in the second crash is golden as well.

cnut
May 3, 2016

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

They should turn the bridge into a solid wall and build a new taller bridge that goes over it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

They should turn the bridge into a solid wall and build a new taller bridge that goes over it.

There's sky-pipes just over the bridge that are already there, thus eliminating all Dukes of Hazard-esque ramps and higher over bridges. We have this same debate every time it's posted.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
They should have local rental trucks with rubbery frames so they can scooch under the bridge like a dachshund doing a limbo routine.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's sky-pipes just over the bridge that are already there, thus eliminating all Dukes of Hazard-esque ramps and higher over bridges. We have this same debate every time it's posted.

Even taller, then :shrug:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Hire a college student to stand in front of it spinning one of those signs shaped like an arrow that reads "YOU'RE GOING TO HIT, rear end in a top hat".

Give the kid a camera so when they hit anyways we get some good pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Build the bridge into a wall and then paint a tunnel entrance on it