Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Alright, there's a Thor: Ragnarok thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

True story: when I was a kid, my friend recorded an audio tape of him playing SMB3. I listened to that cassette tape over and over again whenever I was grounded and had my Nintendo taken away.
:lol:

that is crazy nerdy

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mario was a weird time, man. I distinctly remember my entire family sitting around watching one of us play and screaming about which warp tube to take and poo poo. Its all very strange in retrospect.

Like people will sometimes sit and watch my play a game now but the games are like little movies or actual baseball/football/basketball games now. Mario was just an 8 bit dude hopping on turtles.

I mean, they made a movie about watching other kids play video games. And I went to see it. And went to some of those game things. It was so weird.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Mordiceius posted:

I like how you’re so dismissive when you don’t even know about scenes paying homage to actual comic book art.

I like how you think anyone actually cares about "paying homage" to "actual comic book art".

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

re: MovieBob, I actually think he generally makes a couple of decent points in the few videos I've seen, but it's like digging through a sewer pipe for a sapphire. No thank you

MovieBob refuses to play Metroid Prime because it's a first person shooter. I always thought that was an awful attitude for a game critic to have. I guess the film equivalent would be refusing to watch Magnificent Seven because they took out all the samurai.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I had no idea. Well he's certainly a big dumb rear end, then.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One good thing I can say about MovieBob is that he likes Sucker Punch. Also he mentions Sister My Sister in his Frozen review.

Will video games ever reach the level of comic book characters being mentioned along side Hercules and scripture?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM7MFYoylVs

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Yaws posted:

:lol:

that is crazy nerdy

it was the 80s man

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah I had Castlevania music on a cassette tape. I recorded it off my television. No judgement here.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
When I was a kid I recorded the Simpsons musical episode and the theme to Spy Hard. On my TalkBoy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mordiceius posted:

I like how you’re so dismissive when you don’t even know about scenes paying homage to actual comic book art.

I don't know that "it's even more derivative than you realize" is much of a defense.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't know that "it's even more derivative than you realize" is much of a defense.

*shrug* I just figure that if you’re going to complain about something, you should at least try to do so accurately.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Is the imagery of the scene actually a more direct quotation of the Doom cover than the comic page, though?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mark Strong might play Dr. Sivana in Shazam.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh poo poo yeah.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I dig it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mark Strong's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1QwHF7Pu5k

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The scenery chewing he did as Lord Blackwood is pretty magnificent

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So who's the worst character in the MCU? 1st and 2nd place probably go to Darcy for me

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So who's the worst character in the MCU? 1st and 2nd place probably go to Darcy for me

Assuming you mean movies only, maybe Malekith.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mark Strong played the evil Green lantern "Betrayosoon" in said movie, right?

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Just to get it out of the way, if you include the tv shows, the #1 answer is Danny "Iron Fist" Rand. If only movies, then it's mostly villains - Malekath, Ronin, Abomination, Aldrige Killian (although it's mostly because of the ridiculous "I AM THE MADARIN" *instantly crushed to death* ending), and Ultron all come to mind.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Groot

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spacebump posted:

Assuming you mean movies only, maybe Malekith.

This

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Just to get it out of the way, if you include the tv shows, the #1 answer is Danny "Iron Fist" Rand. If only movies, then it's mostly villains - Malekath, Ronin, Abomination, Aldrige Killian (although it's mostly because of the ridiculous "I AM THE MADARIN" *instantly crushed to death* ending), and Ultron all come to mind.

Nah the Mandarin is perfect in the movie, its a call back to his earlier line about anonymity.

The most wasted char is howard stark. The butchering of iron man 2 was a shame.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Age of Ultron sucked but Ultron was voiced by James Spader.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf-_230SjbM

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wonder if he will wear prosthetic frontal teeth.

Sivana is kind of hilarious as a villain. Everything you need to know about what kind of character he is. Can be pointed out in story when Captain Marvel released some of his inventions with more benevolent intentions to world. Which lead the currently imprisoned Sivana to win the Nobel Prize for Physics because of how brilliant and world changing the revealed inventions were. Sivana was insulted by the prize and considered it beneath him. Stating that only when they crowned him ruler of the universe would he consider himself properly honored.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I didn't care much for Quicksilver.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hate Groot, or generally any character with a gimmick of "only says one thing, is extremely toyetic"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Just watched X-Men Apocalypse for the first time last night. How does that movie not have a 2 part 3 hour screed from nerds? The entire movie can be summed up in a single moment, when Beast and Cyclops jump together.

Cyclops is supposed to be riding beast to absorb the impact but he lands on his own and then beast seems to remember he was supposed to be holding him and checks to make sure he's ok.

The fight choreography is bad, the whole thing is shot like a high budget made for TV event (like this decent body horror moment that turns laughable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AMZobFXp3M) and one of the main characters is bored out of their minds in every scene. But oh man that last shot of Cyclops had me hyped for the next one. Too bad they were too gutless to kill mystique off.

Fake edit for more gifs

They think this looks badass

Totally right about this one though

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 3, 2017

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think we all just kind of expect mediocrity from X-Men team movies nowadays.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The best bits in Apocalypse are the scenes the villains just stand on some rocks looking like they're doing a photoshoot for an album cover. The only memorable bits, anyway. Doesn't Cairo get destroyed? And the X-Men's reaction is along the lines of "my god, it might be somewhere in America next"?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The best part of Apocalypse is a dog wobbling in slow motion.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McSpanky posted:

Is the imagery of the scene actually a more direct quotation of the Doom cover than the comic page, though?

It references specific comic panels several times. The Doom cover is very similar to one of the panels in the comic anyway (which came out 8 years before the game):

But the 'hero on top of a whole pile of bad guys' fight scene goes back way further - Frank Frazetta did a whole bunch of similar paintings in the 60s and 70s to give one example.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think we all just kind of expect mediocrity from X-Men team movies nowadays.
Days of Future Past was good IMO

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The good X-Men movies are more or less X-Men 1, 2, and 14 years later, Logan.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The X-Men movies are still stuck in the 90s. They still think wire-fu and black leather are cool.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

The good X-Men movies are more or less X-Men 1, 2, and 14 years later, Logan.
I like Fassbender Bond and Kevin Bacon in villain roles but props to seeing people finally seeming to leave off First Class
It's a mess!

• Locked thread