Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Rinkles posted:

As far as I can tell, he didn't randomly run his mouth, he was trying to excuse the bad (public) financial report.

He still admitted that they were weak and thus the market responded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

pretty sure if he found out he has a drop of negroid blood in him he'd eat a gun

How much would it cost to send him some results then?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/926236258573185025

The Hill is a parody site, right?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Trump has been caught on video cheating at golf.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

So what would these atomz be used for? Selling to russia?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PhazonLink posted:

Gaze upon them and witness proof that another Obama action has been undone.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

PhazonLink posted:

He was mad that Hillary was involved in selling Uranium to Russia before he was.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

PhazonLink posted:

I don't think Russia has any need of imported uranium.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This kind of poo poo drives me crazy most of all. These people are trying to help the school board. You know, help kids get a good *education*. Who else is going to do that? Not you, Bertha Jones.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I've personally witnessed very similar sentiments, but the xenophobia's usually more veiled (I live not too far)

(Thanks for numbering the tweets PPJ, makes it quite a bit easier to quote the right one)

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TeddyDief/status/926306608711393280

Anybody see this? I checked his account and caught it, refreshed a few seconds later to see it back at 41m or whatever. But apparently others are seeing it lower, 10k, and climbing, as though it's being repopulated. Maybe someone's continuing to gently caress with his account?

edit: whoop nope 4,026. Man, I sure like the idea of Trump seeing that and losing his poo poo

typhus fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 3, 2017

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Woah it's at 5.5k for me. It might just be some wonky system backend that happens when you basically have to repopulate an account that was temporarily deleted/banned.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Obama has 96 million. :smuggo:

E. Weird that he only had 5k followers now but his recent tweets still got thousands of hits.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 3, 2017

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Maybe all the Russian bots automatically unfollowed the account upon deletion and haven’t refollowed.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I see 41.7M. It's probably just a glitch.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This kind of poo poo drives me crazy most of all. These people are trying to help the school board. You know, help kids get a good *education*. Who else is going to do that? Not you, Bertha Jones.

The model minority poo poo was only going to work if there were a few token asian or indian people, not when they start making up the plurality or majority of many cities.

See this article about white liberals fleeing from asian american ethnoburbs

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Peven Stan posted:

The model minority poo poo was only going to work if there were a few token asian or indian people, not when they start making up the plurality or majority of many cities.

See this article about white liberals fleeing from asian american ethnoburbs

I loving knew it. I knew there was a reason why back in elementary school i saw mostly hispanic, asian and black kids. Yeah the model minority idea can suck a gently caress. That poo poo was never built to last. "No you see I like my asian friends, but I must move on the whiter greener pastures."

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Goddamnit Trump you stay the gently caress AWAY FROM MY STATE GASH

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I hope Twitter workers keep deleting/banning/suspending him. I mean, they've said the rules apply to everyone and he definitely breaks them. I'd love to see them have to admit that the rules are applied selectively.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Annointed posted:

I loving knew it. I knew there was a reason why back in elementary school i saw mostly hispanic, asian and black kids. Yeah the model minority idea can suck a gently caress. That poo poo was never built to last. "No you see I like my asian friends, but I must move on the whiter greener pastures."

The entire basis for removing national origins quotas and allowing nonwhites in after 1965 was cold war politics to undercut soviet talking points about this country being a horrific apartheid state. Now that the USSR is dead and gone and whites feel besieged they're just regressing back to the mean of 19th century cartoon racism

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Peven Stan posted:

The entire basis for removing national origins quotas and allowing nonwhites in after 1965 was cold war politics to undercut soviet talking points about this country being a horrific apartheid state. Now that the USSR is dead and gone and whites feel besieged they're just regressing back to the mean of 19th century cartoon racism

Just wondering, do you think more blatant Asian discrimination will arise in the near future, or this event is just a random blip in the GOP sphere?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Annointed posted:

Just wondering, do you think more blatant Asian discrimination will arise in the near future, or this event is just a random blip in the GOP sphere?

First they came for so on and so forth.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Office Pig posted:

First they came for so on and so forth.

Oh yeah, that poem. That poem has been recited in my head a billion times. I just thought I and other asians would be at least 4th on the chopping block, right before black people, latinx people and middle eastern people. But racism knows no bounds and doesn't play "favorites". It'd be naive to think stuff like this wouldn't spread.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 3, 2017

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Annointed posted:

Oh yeah, that poem. That poem has been recited in my head a billion times. I just thought I and other asians would be at least 4th on the chopping block, right before black people, latinx people and middle eastern people. But racism knows no bounds and doesn't play "favorites". It'd be naive to think stuff like this wouldn't spread.

I remember when The Donald went to praise the Sikhs on reddit and they just lapped that poo poo right up. Not all of them but enough. They're so eager for acceptance, but they're brown and they're trying to get along with lovely racists. It doesn't matter. White racist America will never accept or be friends with anyone not like them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Annointed posted:

Uncomfortable as it may be, I don't think this is a purely republican problem.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Annointed posted:

There's been at least one video/article showing White Supremacists having a Japanese fetish simply because of almost null diversity in Japan. Also Japan is dealing with its own issues of Far-Right politics as far as I'm aware.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ularg posted:

There's been at least one video/article showing White Supremacists having a Japanese fetish simply because of almost null diversity in Japan. Also Japan is dealing with its own issues of Far-Right politics as far as I'm aware.

White racists like Asians when they're over there.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Annointed posted:

The GOP is following the historically already well traveled trail of a national conservative movement or consensus party backsliding into identitarian nativism as it radicalizes. No matter who the original targets were, it never, ever stops at that target, at that race, at that identity or sexual alignment or religion. Asians are not white. Asians will be targeted and denigrated, even given their "model minority" status and how earlier phases of identitarianism will point to Asians and say "well this is why we hate the blacks and latinos, is because they can't behave themselves like these good coloreds." It always, always progresses to how you were good and all and you behaved all nice-like, but at the end of the day, you're not us. Sorry.

This is actually an interesting element of the progression of american conservatism into nativism -- not but a few decades ago, Asians were spectrum agnostic, some were conservative. Nope. One extra generation of having to deal with republican apologism for racism and the practical effects of the discrimination and othering it produces, Asians ran screaming to progressivism to join every other nonwhite race group. The GOP turbodunked all their nonwhite identity in one generation.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ice Phisherman posted:

I remember when The Donald went to praise the Sikhs on reddit and they just lapped that poo poo right up. Not all of them but enough. They're so eager for acceptance, but they're brown and they're trying to get along with lovely racists. It doesn't matter. White racist America will never accept or be friends with anyone not like them.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Annointed posted:

Your hierarchy of who racists hate the most is only as accurate as the most recent Fox News/Breitbart/RWM talking point and scapegoat. China is becoming a bigger and bigger boogieman and tons of tech folks never got over the Indian outsourcing meme, so you probably shouldn't get too comfortable with that model minority concept. After all, before 9/11, most of America considered Middle Easterners as part of that same demographic.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RZA Encryption posted:

I hope Twitter workers keep deleting/banning/suspending him. I mean, they've said the rules apply to everyone and he definitely breaks them. I'd love to see them have to admit that the rules are applied selectively.

They pretty much said a month ago that the rules don’t apply to him since his tweets are “newsworthy” and of “public interest”.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Yes, please start destroying one of the view natural wonders we have that draw that sweet, sweet, tourist money in. Making America Great Again....but only for the short term until we run out of uranium, then gently caress humanity.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Kavros posted:

The GOP turbodunked all their nonwhite identity in one generation.

Which is also why they're content with establishing an autocratic apartheid state.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

What's the lunatic US right wing got against Cricket? It's a legit Anglo-Saxon invention, I thought they liked that kind of thing (even if most of the money in the professional sport is now from South Asia).

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hastings posted:

Yes, please start destroying one of the view natural wonders we have that draw that sweet, sweet, tourist money in. Making America Great Again....but only for the short term until we run out of uranium, then gently caress humanity.

I forget where I saw it but apparently Trump is creating a massive dip in tourism to the USA similar to the one you had during the 2008 recession.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

gret posted:

Maybe all the Russian bots automatically unfollowed the account upon deletion and haven’t refollowed.

This.

I think Trump's Twitter account getting deleted temporarily totally hosed with all the Russian bots and automated algorithms that retweet everything he says. I guess the poor Russians are going to have to work some overtime tonight to get those follower numbers back up.

At least they can buy some extra vodka with the time and a half pay.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Kavros posted:

The GOP is following the historically already well traveled trail of a national conservative movement or consensus party backsliding into identitarian nativism as it radicalizes. No matter who the original targets were, it never, ever stops at that target, at that race, at that identity or sexual alignment or religion. Asians are not white. Asians will be targeted and denigrated, even given their "model minority" status and how earlier phases of identitarianism will point to Asians and say "well this is why we hate the blacks and latinos, is because they can't behave themselves like these good coloreds." It always, always progresses to how you were good and all and you behaved all nice-like, but at the end of the day, you're not us. Sorry.

This is actually an interesting element of the progression of american conservatism into nativism -- not but a few decades ago, Asians were spectrum agnostic, some were conservative. Nope. One extra generation of having to deal with republican apologism for racism and the practical effects of the discrimination and othering it produces, Asians ran screaming to progressivism to join every other nonwhite race group. The GOP turbodunked all their nonwhite identity in one generation.
Thank you & everyone else for the effort posts explaining why the right wing party was acting this way. On one hand it's surprisingly comfortable to no longer be the beatstick the GOP uses on other minorities. On the other hand oh, genocide.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's just a display bug, as it shows 41m for most people, including me right after the account was restored.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PhazonLink posted:

Trump has said he's in favor of expanding our nuclear arsenal. I don't know if the amount of uranium being mined is a potential limiting factor to that, but I'd guess not. According to the article, uranium mines aren't even profitable at the moment, no new mines would be opened for quite a while, so it's not even a sloppy blowjob to industry, it's just a "gently caress you" to environmentalists and people who believe government regulations can be a positive thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Pakled posted:

Trump has said he's in favor of expanding our nuclear arsenal. I don't know if the amount of uranium being mined is a potential limiting factor to that, but I'd guess not.

That and he hates things that are more popular/cherished than him, so why not strip mine the Grand Canyon?

• Locked thread