Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Has Carmen even made a decision about what office she probably won't be running for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Has Carmen even made a decision about what office she probably won't be running for?

"Let me think about it"

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

I assume you listened to some podcast or something, because you're suddenly really into making this really bad-faith argument across multiple threads. Either than or you're a chatbot that got stuck.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Can't actually find a good reason to defend the AUMF or our endless wars huh? I sympathize.

No, he just can't find a good reason to talk to you. Quite frankly I sympathize.

quote:

Lol yes obviously I love Al Qaeda that's the only reason someone might not be cool with endless pointless wars that have achieved nothing but more bloodshed and birthed more violent extremism, thanks Dick Cheney.

E: Btw we're in Yemen to help the Saudis expand their influence in the region and counter their/our foe Iran and we're helping them murder as many civilians as it takes to do it.

Yes yes, but where do the globalist jews fit in? You gotta have them in your conspiracy theories.

Also, 8 years, 65 civilian deaths. If only those damned Al Qaeda members didn't keep throwing themselves nobly in front of the bombs, to save the Children whose deaths Obama lusted after. I assume he wanted to make sure there were no survivors.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

I assume you listened to some podcast or something, because you're suddenly really into making this really bad-faith argument across multiple threads. Either than or you're a chatbot that got stuck.

I've been making this argument for years, but lol at this bubble mentality where any criticism of an endless pointless for-profit murder campaign must be the work of some shadowy chatbot programmer because what serious person could look at sixteen years of war with nothing to show for it but piles of corpses and massive MIC profits and disagree with the wonderful bipartisan consensus of unrepentant US militarism.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

I've been making this argument for years, but lol at this bubble mentality where any criticism of an endless pointless for-profit murder campaign must be the work of some shadowy chatbot programmer because what serious person could look at sixteen years of war with nothing to show for it but piles of corpses and massive MIC profits and disagree with the wonderful bipartisan consensus of unrepentant US militarism.

:rolleyes: I was wondering when this thread would get someone who makes even less meaningful arguments than fulchrum.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

There is no jerking off motion big enough.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Yes yes, but where do the globalist jews fit in? You gotta have them in your conspiracy theories.
Lol a second ago you said I'm an Al Qaeda sympathizer, now I'm the alt-right. It's almost like you have zero principles or convictions at all and your smears will shift and contradict each other at a moment's notice if it helps you deflect from the criticisms of endless war!

Fulchrum posted:

Also, 8 years, 65 civilian deaths. If only those damned Al Qaeda members didn't keep throwing themselves nobly in front of the bombs, to save the Children whose deaths Obama lusted after. I assume he wanted to make sure there were no survivors.
Yeah let's take the CIA's claims at face value, there's certainly no precedent of the US government lying about the number of civilians it murders.
You and the CIA are off by an order of magnitude, according to independent estimates

Also let's ignore the thousands and thousands of Yemeni civilians our Saudi friends are killing, just like torture, it's all cool if our friends do it bc our hands are clean. We aren't killing those people, we're just giving our friends the murder weapons to do it and funnelling tax dollars through the Saudi military to MIC profiteers!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 3, 2017

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Quoting for posterity.

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably
i love my dead gay Yemeni children

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

OK cool I get it, your defense of sixteen years of pointless war and hundreds of thousands of casualties and trillions of dollars in MIC loot is eyeroll emoji, got it thanks

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
What even brought this pointless.... Argument? is it even an argument if everyone is talking past each other exclusively? Anyways, was it that someone cared more about women's reproductive health/rights than drones? Because it is alright to have an opinion on both, but to value one more than another.

As to what's actually being said, it seems to be the Ted Roll position of 'drones are a thing, therefore don't bother voting at all because the Democrats trying to enact some change for the better in other areas are even worse than the Republicans because drones (even though the Republicans also love drones, probably more)'.

I am Canadian, I seem to know more about American politics than my own countries, and I still don't get how things are so bad that there is literally only a choice between not terrible party and the abominable party.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Lol a second ago you said I'm an Al Qaeda sympathizer, now I'm the alt-right. It's almost like you have zero principles or convictions at all and your smears will shift and contradict each other at a moment's notice if it helps you deflect from the criticisms of endless war!

So you're seriously dumb enough to try and claim that the alt right invented anti-Semitism, and it does not exist outside of them? Seriously? I'm pretty sure Al Qaeda also doesn't like jews. Hate to break it to you and shatter your image of the glorious liberators struggling against the eeeevil America.

quote:

Yeah let's take the CIA's claims at face value, there's certainly no precedent of the US government lying about the number of civilians it murders.
You and the CIA are off by an order of magnitude, according to independent estimates

Leaving aside that after making this about strictly Yemen before pointing to numbers that refer to multiple regions of the middle east, the argument is that the US trying to not kill civilians must be a lie, therefore jyst assume all killed are children. Because dead kiss is what they're really after.

quote:

Also let's ignore the thousands and thousands of Yemeni civilians our Saudi friends are killing, just like torture, it's all cool if our friends do it bc our hands are clean. We aren't killing those people, we're just giving our friends the murder weapons to do it and funnelling tax dollars through the Saudi military to MIC profiteers!
What in the loving hell does that have to do with drone operations to assassinate AQ members in Yemen?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ashsaber posted:

What even brought this pointless.... Argument?

Fulchrum thinks that the democrats can do no wrong and that Mark Zuckerburg should be our next president.

VitalSigns thinks that 150 years of US imperialist war is Obama's fault cause he really likes killing babies to fuel his ever growing executive power. Which I suppose is an extremely political cartoony opinion.

I think I'm loving mentally disabled for engaging either of them.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Recap: last time Val met horse nomads, things weren't quite so peaceful...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Please drone strike this thread.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The problem is (1) partisanship is really strong and US politics is treated more like a tribal team sport than a debate about serious issues so people who would normally oppose something like pointless wars or extrajudicial assassinations or collateral murder find ways to rationalize it if their team is doing it. Any criticism of that policy is an attack on politician they like or team they belong to and therefore an attack on them personally. And (2) Democratic politicians and party apparatchiks subscribe to a really stupid interpretation of game theory that says they're owed the votes of anyone who disagrees with what Republicans are doing, therefore Democrats can, say, continue and expand Bush's wars as long they don't do it quite as much as Republicans want to. Also the naive opinion that they're smart and will win forever and Republicans are stupid and will win never therefore an unprecedented expansion of executive power could never come back to bite us all because only smart Democrats will occupy the presidency post-Bush.

Unfortunately that doesn't work, and when Republicans win anyway it's suddenly everyone else's fault for not supporting the war enough, even though I voted for Clinton, that's not enough because I criticized the Democrats' wars and if only everyone had all repeated war propaganda hard enough Trump wouldn't have won, or something and our endless pointless war would kill a pragmatic number of innocent civilians for no reason.

fool_of_sound posted:

VitalSigns thinks that 150 years of US imperialist war is Obama's fault cause he really likes killing babies to fuel his ever growing executive power.

Nah just the ones he was directly responsible for and the consequences of the executive power that he expanded.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Remember, if you're 31 right now you're one of the first 31 year old Americans to live a majority of your life in a country at war since the 1780's!

There aren't even 31 years in the entire history of the country we haven't been at war with someone.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

gowb posted:

Recap: last time Val met horse nomads, things weren't quite so peaceful...

I'm excited to see enough of these to actually form some kind of plot. Individually, not enough really happens to warrant reading the drat things.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Prince Val is being posted as some sort of weird protest against Zelda, right

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

That's what I thought too.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

So you're seriously dumb enough to try and claim that the alt right invented anti-Semitism, and it does not exist outside of them? Seriously? I'm pretty sure Al Qaeda also doesn't like jews. Hate to break it to you and shatter your image of the glorious liberators struggling against the eeeevil America.
So if I'm against the war then I'm Al Qaeda and if I criticize the Saudis I must believe that the Jews are in control of Saudi Arabia and the fact that this doesn't make sense is just more proof that I'm in Al Qaeda. Are you a clone of Dick Cheney with his speech centers scrambled.

E:
Do you get how stupid and frankly fascist it is to accuse anyone criticizing the war of being in league the enemy? Look you hate Republicans right? Well Saddam Hussein was a Bad Guy, this was absolutely the case. Does that mean the Iraq War was a smart decision or a good decision or a moral decision? No, obviously. Does that mean that anyone who criticized it loved Saddam like the right wing media said? No, obviously. Yet here you are using those tired old Republican arguments, accusing anyone of opposing your wars of being a secret terrorist.

Fulchrum posted:

Leaving aside that after making this about strictly Yemen before pointing to numbers that refer to multiple regions of the middle east, the argument is that the US trying to not kill civilians must be a lie, therefore jyst assume all killed are children. Because dead kiss is what they're really after.
Point being that "see the CIA said they only killed 65 civilians" is bullshit not only because independent estimates put the collateral murder totals much higher, but also because the CIA counts every male of 'fighting age' (so like 14 to 60) killed by a drone strike as a terrorist regardless of whether they are or not. Every boy who's had his first pube retroactively becomes Al Qaeda when we blow him up based on no other evidence except for the fact that we blew him up, conveniently keeping our collateral damage numbers low!

Fulchrum posted:

What in the loving hell does that have to do with drone operations to assassinate AQ members in Yemen?

What does our funding of the Saudi's war in Yemen have to do with thousands and thousands of civilians killed by the Saudis in Yemen hmmm

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 3, 2017

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah, but it's the best thing that's been posted in the past 3 pages. The art is pretty good too.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I don't know much about US politics so I'm assuming Prince Val is doing well in his campaign for Governor of Virginia.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
NEXT: The raiders bring bows and arrows.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The Mountain Blade looks pretty shite.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

So if I'm against the war then I'm Al Qaeda and if I criticize the Saudis I must believe that the Jews are in control of Saudi Arabia and the fact that this doesn't make sense is just more proof that I'm in Al Qaeda. Are you a clone of Dick Cheney with his speech centers scrambled.
No, if you say that we are there to massacre children and there is no other reason for us to be there you are portraying Al Qaeda as a virtuous figure who we should leave alone to allow them to do whatever they wish. Criticizing the war would mean actually discussing what you consider to be an acceptable level of civilian casualties, and no, the answer is not 0 in all cases ever, nothing bad is ever allowed to happen. Since you have done none of that and instead just portray Obama as a monster who drinks the blood of children, you have absolutely no interest in the uncomfortable discussion of what is an acceptable level of risk in the face of taking out the enemy that wishes to do far far worse. Especially since you try to claim that Dems engage in war just to spite you and taunt you, and not because it needs to be done.

If you actually agreed that AL Qaeda was bad, your issue would be that you think there must be a way to fight them with less civilian risk (There is not, but whatever). But you don't think that. So therefore, what you see is the good and virtuous Al Qaeda who are sacrificing themselves to protect children from the eeevil Obama and his attempt to murder children.

Also, you can be a fawning apologist for Al Qaeda and not be in Al Qaeda, it just involves you being a loving moronic contrarian.

And if you go into a conspiracy theory about how Al Qaeda actually aren't in Yemen and the real purpose of drone operations there are to massacre children in order to please the Saudis, then of course you're going to be called loving delusional, and like all delusional people, eventually you will start blaming this on the jews.

quote:

E:
Do you get how stupid and frankly fascist it is to accuse anyone criticizing the war of being in league the enemy? Look you hate Republicans right? Well Saddam Hussein was a Bad Guy, this was absolutely the case.

Saddam Hussein wasn't planning attacks on America you dumb gently caress. A better question would be do I think that being against fighting the Nazis, and saying that FDR was just murdering pure aryan children out of his hatred for their perfect forms makes you a sympathizer to the Nazis. And yes, I would.

quote:

Point being that "see the CIA said they only killed 65 civilians" is bullshit not only because independent estimates put the collateral murder totals much higher, but also because the CIA counts every male of 'fighting age' (so like 14 to 60) killed by a drone strike as a terrorist regardless of whether they are or not. Every boy who's had his first pube retroactively becomes Al Qaeda when we blow him up based on no other evidence except for the fact that we blew him up, conveniently keeping our collateral damage numbers low!

I like how you didn't notice you just managed to skullfuck your own "THEY'RE BLOWING UP KIDS!" hysteria. As well as you conveniently leaving out that this is accounting only for cases wherein these are people killed alongside high ranking Al Qaeda members. Their logic is highly imperfect and questionable, but of course, since you're a disingenuous shithead, you're going to claim they're just blowing up anyone they see and then claiming they're militants.

quote:

What does our funding of the Saudi's war in Yemen have to do with thousands and thousands of civilians killed by the Saudis in Yemen hmmm

So it went from "We're selling the weapons" to "We're puppeting them into war and bankrolling the whole thing." And none of it has a single loving thing to do with drones.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

cheetah7071 posted:

Sure looks that way. The two aren't comparable, either. Val is a cool comic but it's high fantasy and has nothing to do with politics at all. Zelda at least talks about modern life through the lens of someone progressive (and flawed).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

"Diversary."

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I thought it was a Bloom County joke. I remember that one strip had them performing a reader pole wherein 98% of all responders said the strips should be cancelled and replaced with Prince Valiant. I assumed that was what the poster was doing.

Speaking of, why aren't we posting Bloom County? THe strip came back for the sole purpose of being political, since its brand of surreal stupidity had become normalcy.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Avirosb posted:

NEXT: The raiders bring bows and arrows.
<-----

Jackard fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 3, 2017

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Prince Val is cool and I like looking at it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Soviet Zion?

quote:

Garbage-grade Mueller caricature.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xander77 posted:

Soviet Zion?

Can we please retire this thing? We get it, cyrillic letters have different sounds to similar looking letters in english. If you aren't going to add anything else than that, its just boring.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
But how else will anyone know that I can read cyrillic? I haven't been hosed in years.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Its in Styrillic, hes just reading it wrong.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

cheetah7071 posted:

I welcome more Prince Val and more Zelda but please less Fulchrum/VitalSigns.

On the subject of cyrillic, please enjoy more Russian political cartoons:

Ramzan Kadyrov, the head of Chechnya, wants to bury Lenin. The cartoon depicts Ramzan standing over the entrance to Lenin's Mausoleum in Red Square dressed as a grave digger. The sign says Lenin.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 3, 2017

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kit Walker posted:

Sure looks that way. The two aren't comparable, either. Val is a cool comic but it's high fantasy and has nothing to do with politics at all. Zelda at least talks about modern life through the lens of someone progressive (and flawed).

Prince Valiant is not high fantasy. It's historical fiction/historical fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

cheetah7071 posted:

seems to be some sort of strange blue man group protest about both zelda and first dog

have a timeless first dog as a counter protest!

• Locked thread