Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

The paint for that car should be called Shartreuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Yo I drove an R34 GT-R with the Fun2Drive tours in Hakone, Japan and it was rad as gently caress.

Also, as an American, driving in the left side, shifting g with my left hand, and dealing with exceptionally narrow rural roads with deep ditches on the LHS took some getting used to. The guides were great and basically gave pace notes and warnings about any upcoming turns, oncoming traffic, etc. It was a blast. Would do again.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MetaJew posted:

Yo I drove an R34 GT-R with the Fun2Drive tours in Hakone, Japan and it was rad as gently caress.

Also, as an American, driving in the left side, shifting g with my left hand, and dealing with exceptionally narrow rural roads with deep ditches on the LHS took some getting used to. The guides were great and basically gave pace notes and warnings about any upcoming turns, oncoming traffic, etc. It was a blast. Would do again.
I'll be going when I'm out there next year.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

davebo posted:

The paint for that car should be called Shartreuse.

I actually lol'd. :golfclap:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWyu4to4jws

4L 4cyl 968 Porsche motor, 1500hp.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It's too bad they didn't have it in for WTAC, I think they could have won with more power. Only 250kph on the front straight, easy looking lap, and still put down a 1:21.4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02TpGiNDlm8

While we're at it, here's MCA's lap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYHVPsWxHWU

If the 968 shows up with 1500hp next year they're going to crush everyone.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 2, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Someone needs to develop a Time Attack console/PC game, build and test your car then lets see what you got.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

If the 968 shows up with 1500hp next year they're going to crush everyone.

What is more likely to happen is a number of cars with a lot of buzz about them and very big numbers / unusual tech once again get beaten by a resonably straightforward but well sorted car by MCA

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

InitialDave posted:

I'll be going when I'm out there next year.

One of the highlights was the father and son who rented the FD3S . Apparently the cabin was very loud so they couldn't hear the radio in their car. A car following them reported smoke coming from some part of the car at which point the guides said "Probably blowby."

The drivers also said it lacked any low end torque so the very tight switchbacks we're awkward.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How hard are they flogging it on those tours? Seems like anything remotely like this in the states wants you to just idle around.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Someone needs to develop a Time Attack console/PC game, build and test your car then lets see what you got.

Automation with an 'export your car to race game' option.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I've looked at making a import tool for Automation -> RFactor 2, it seem technically possible, but :effort:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

How hard are they flogging it on those tours? Seems like anything remotely like this in the states wants you to just idle around.

Pretty much as fast as you can safely drive. I kept pace with the lead car in the first half of the tour. The second half two Aussies said they wanted to go faster so I moved back two spots in the convoy, and I did t feel comfortable trying to keep up with them. Also the cars are either catless or just running super rich, because following them for a few hours have me a terrible headache.

The operators have plenty of photos of wrecked cars from their customers and lots of warnings about how much it will cost you if you crash or damage the car.

Definitely nothing like you would see in the US for "exotic car rentals" where they take you on a 15 minute cruise up and down a strip mall.

I did the "Ultimate Hakone Tour" which was a little under ¥50,000 for a 5+ hr tour. We only concerned about 120 km but I burned though ~30 l of fuel if that's any measure of the tour.

When I figure out how to transfer images from my camera to my phone, or when I get back to the US I'll post some photos. It was a blast.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 2, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

UK goons:

quote:

Roadkill is coming to the UK!

Finally we can reveal that on SUNDAY, Nov 19 we will be at EBC Brakes, Upton Valley Way East, Pineham, Northampton, NN4 9EF. It will be Freiburger and Dulcich on hand for autographs or just hanging out.

We have room for about 200 cars, so bring us some good stuff from all over Europe! There will also be food trucks and motorbike stunts by Lee Bowers! We’ll be shooting video for Roadkill Extra.

Be there, and make sure to support EBC Brakes.

Might have to roll down and find out where Dulcich scores his weed.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Might have to roll down and find out where Dulcich scores his weed.
EBC Bakes

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MetaJew posted:

Pretty much as fast as you can safely drive. I kept pace with the lead car in the first half of the tour. The second half two Aussies said they wanted to go faster so I moved back two spots in the convoy, and I did t feel comfortable trying to keep up with them.
Mm, we'll see, my experience of Japan was much like the US, with "normal" drivers going really slowly, so the opportunity to go out with non-knobish enthusiasts is welcome.

MetaJew posted:

The operators have plenty of photos of wrecked cars from their customers and lots of warnings about how much it will cost you if you crash or damage the car.
If they quote me too low a price for total-lossing an AE86, there's a definite risk of me just saying "fine" and giving them the money before driving it to the docks!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:monocle:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

$90k

http://www.velocitymc.com/vehicle-details/1967-volkswagen-bus-vanagon-van-4bc07df36e0f4d03afecc467a7578c46

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was on board until I realized it's a BTTF theme.

And lol at the tv mounting.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Please to be enjoying this 1100HP Javelin.

https://jalopnik.com/worlds-greatest-1-100-horsepower-amc-javelin-amx-now-av-1820056023

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

Wrong colour, no Libyans, no RPG...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

xzzy posted:

It seems like the most pointless theming too.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Why choose the one vehicle other than a DeLorean that is explicitly known for not being able to hit anywhere near 88 MPH?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Why choose the one vehicle other than a DeLorean that is explicitly known for not being able to hit anywhere near 88 MPH?

The Libyans won.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Wistful of Dollars posted:

"you're buying this for racing, right?"
"... Yes?"
*sticks it in '92 civic hatch*

https://jalopnik.com/this-madman-is-stuffing-a-new-honda-civic-type-r-motor-1820092729

quote:

This Madman Is Stuffing A New Honda Civic Type R Motor Into A 1992 Civic Hatch

Miguel Carrera is a Santander, Spain-based 23 year-old automotive technician who’s in the process of stuffing a 306 horsepower Civic Type R engine into a 2,100 pound fifth-generation Honda Civic. It’s all part of an epic project aimed at achieving a power-to-weight figure on par with that of a Dodge Challenger Hellcat. It’s all a bit insane.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm the torque steer

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I'm the tree it'll inevitably plough into.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I also believe Spain are knobs regarding permitted modifications, so that could be fun for him.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I'm the chassis that will get ripped in half if it doesnt hit a tree first

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
y'all seem suspiciously implying automotive sanity ITT

im concerned. :ohdear:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm interested to see if he takes it to THE NURBURGRING and records a time (even though I know that's frowned upon). I'd love Honda to take him with them just to see what it'd do. (aside from stack it into the wall at high speed)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Yeah, I'm not really impressed with stuffing a big engine into a little frame, because it's comparatively easy to do and has already been done a million times. Devising a balanced vehicle which can handle the power and is actually driveable is much more impressive and rare.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, I'm not really impressed with stuffing a big engine into a little frame, because it's comparatively easy to do and has already been done a million times. Devising a balanced vehicle which can handle the power and is actually driveable is much more impressive and rare.

Hello

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Enourmo posted:

If you asked a decade ago, never in a million years would I have believed that a simple photo of an automotive part could simultaneously make me cackle and send cold shivers down my spine. This forum has broken me.

Sadly, a very similar piece of kit was the factory approved repair for rusted out strut towers on Chrysler minivans.

New Roadkill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZLLVdlYpb8

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

InitialDave posted:

I also believe Spain are knobs regarding permitted modifications, so that could be fun for him.

He says he's going to race it. If Spain is anything like Italy there's no way in hell that'll get registered as road legal (besides the two known loopholes)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

`Nemesis posted:

Sadly, a very similar piece of kit was the factory approved repair for rusted out strut towers on Chrysler minivans.

I'm pretty sure that's what it is... or are there more vehicles with that as a repair option? :stonk:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

jamal posted:

While we're at it, here's MCA's lap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYHVPsWxHWU

this vid perfectly captures how wild the vibrations are when a car is screaming at you :perfect:

pretty much what most craiglist s13s on 10 year old coilovers feel at just 80mph lmao

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Definitely looking forward to next episode's lifted hornet.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hasn't your car broken since you dropped an LS in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wally Joyner posted:

Definitely looking forward to next episode's lifted hornet.

It is awesome