Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Grover is/was licensed as a professional engineer which meant that he could legally sign the approvals for his house, but he did not actually do that either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Whats wrong with the condemnation notice? Thats a public record, nothing wrong with it

By this logic the goon driving around looking for the house is also fine, because the house exists in the world and can be legally viewed by anyone, so what's the harm in seeking it out?

It's you, you're the bad goon.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Whats wrong with the condemnation notice? Thats a public record, nothing wrong with it

The general rule is if the information isn't provided by the poster, posted on SA, it's probably considered doxxing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

lol

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If the county is telling its people, "yo, this dude lives in an unsafe house," there's nothing wrong if a few wierdos on the internet also know about it.

Its a public records request, they exist for a reason

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmbo

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
nah. its creepy.

Dont dox folks

unless they are like rapists or pedos or nazis and poo poo.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going through the effort to find someone's non-SA related info, for the explicit purpose of harassing them over it is pretty much verboten. If the dude isn't actively assaulting, or abusing people, it's generally common courtesy to assume that they want some privacy, even if the government disagrees with what a reasonable level of privacy is.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

If the county is telling its people, "yo, this dude lives in an unsafe house," there's nothing wrong if a few wierdos on the internet also know about it.

Its a public records request, they exist for a reason

Once again, lol

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hello public records office, I would like the report on Grover from the internet.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

*runs in panting* DID SOMEONE SAY GROVERHAUS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7zPiTHjzVI

I'm so proud that one of my bans was grover related.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Going through the effort to find someone's non-SA related info, for the explicit purpose of harassing them over it is pretty much verboten. If the dude isn't actively assaulting, or abusing people, it's generally common courtesy to assume that they want some privacy, even if the government disagrees with what a reasonable level of privacy is.

Actually it's admin approved now

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

sneakyfrog posted:

nah. its creepy.

Dont dox folks

unless they are like rapists or pedos or nazis and poo poo.

*in an extremely MacReady voice*

I say me and the doc here tie everyone up and dox the lot of you. It'd time to find out who's who...

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Turtlicious posted:

Actually, the mods and admins here lve doxxing people and they do it all the time.

-Not Space Crabs

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I think the line is pretty easy to see and if you cross it, you know what you're doing.

Filming someone's house is stalking. Going through county records is creepy.

Laughing at pictures some dork posts of his awful house on SA, of his own volition, is cool and good.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I keep thinking to myself, "This should be a warning to people about being too candid on the internet" yet people keep humiliating themselves. Sagas like Groverhaus just reinforce the fact that you need to really be careful about what you are sharing, and how people might take it. I'm sure people like Groverhaus didn't consider he might be the center of mockery and people would literally be driving past his Dr. Seuss house and taking pictures of it. He had to learn this lesson the hard way.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Panfilo posted:

I keep thinking to myself, "This should be a warning to people about being too candid on the internet" yet people keep humiliating themselves. Sagas like Groverhaus just reinforce the fact that you need to really be careful about what you are sharing, and how people might take it. I'm sure people like Groverhaus didn't consider he might be the center of mockery and people would literally be driving past his Dr. Seuss house and taking pictures of it. He had to learn this lesson the hard way.
Or just have a thick enough skin to not give a poo poo that people make fun of your house...if I ever, I dunno, liveblog myself building a stupid house, metaphorical or otherwise, please make fun of it

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

I Said No posted:

Goon version of Goofus and Gallant would be a fuckin sight.

I'm sure someone has the others, one was def goofus and gallant

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Nov 3, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If someone hasn't posted the information on SA themselves don't go looking for it and reposting it. This isn't a discussion and I don't want to hear about other times when it was done or by whom. Okay thanks.

I'm gonna give the gangtags to sneakyfrog and proteus jones but thanks for everyone's responses!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Or just have a thick enough skin to not give a poo poo that people make fun of your house...if I ever, I dunno, liveblog myself building a stupid house, metaphorical or otherwise, please make fun of it

Well sure, but having people track down your actual house and taking creepshots of it? I think that's crossing the line.

The other issue is that you could have a Goon overshare about Dumb Goon Thing, get mocked and ostracized for it, and eventually come around to what all the other Goons are saying. But by then it is often too late and people will beat a dead horse about it past the point of being compost. In the meantime that Goon is still having to deal with the potential reprecussions months/years later. There's having a thick skin, and there's avoiding ongoing harassment.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

EmmyOk posted:

If someone hasn't posted the information on SA themselves don't go looking for it and reposting it. This isn't a discussion and I don't want to hear about other times when it was done or by whom. Okay thanks.

I'm gonna give the gangtags to sneakyfrog and proteus jones but thanks for everyone's responses!

make their gangtag really bad lol

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Also his predictions about how the Iraq War would go have become a minor forums meme.

To give a bit of context for this, it's actually two posts, and it was posted on March 18th, 2003, a day after Bush gave his 48 hour deadline for Hussein and his sons to leave the country, but before the actual US invasion of Iraq began.

grover on March 18th, 2003 posted:

How long will it take to capture Baghdad? 2 days
Will Saddam be killed? Yes
Total Iraqi civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Iraq: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Iraqi army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Republican Guard fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Saddam sacrifice Baghdad (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Iran do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Saddam burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Iraq? ~15 years
Will the Iraq war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

We have to look at what those civilian casualties are- just because they're civilian doesn't make them innocent! Lets take a look at a few possibilities:

1) A civilian walking down the street to market gets killed by a cruise missile fired at the market.

2) A civilian asleep in their house is killed when their house is targetting by a smart bomb and blown up.

OK, these two are regrettable innocents being killed- but since the US doesn't make a habit of targetting markets or houses, they're very small in number!

3) A civilian working at a chemical weapon factory gets killed when the chemical weapon plant is bombed.

4) A civilian security guard at a weapons depot is killed when the weapons explode.

5) A civilian contractor repairing a tank is killed by a MOAB dropped on the unit.

6) A civilian engineer is killed when the military command center he works at is destroyed.

7) A civilian delivering snackiecakes to the baghdad bunker vending machines eats a 5,000lb bunker buster.

etc, etc. The list goes on. My point is that there are a lot of civilians directly supporting the military that aren't exactly "innocent" and would be mire rightly counted among the military casualties than civilian. I'm a civilian and work for the US military, but I acknowledge I'm also a valid military target because of what I do. And I think the vast majority of civilian casualties in this campaign will not be innocent.

Note that this is actually two separate posts that have been combined. And even in the wildly optimistic context of the time (most predictions lowballed the casualty numbers and occupation length by MILES), grover's post was in a league of it's own in terms of being wildly optimistic.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

exploded mummy posted:

Grover is/was licensed as a professional engineer which meant that he could legally sign the approvals for his house, but he did not actually do that either.

Wouldn’t there be ethical boundaries to keep someone from approving his own house? Like I have a friend who can inspect cars but he’s not allowed to pass his own I’m pretty sure

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wouldn’t there be ethical boundaries to keep someone from approving his own house? Like I have a friend who can inspect cars but he’s not allowed to pass his own I’m pretty sure

Pretty sure it's that case, kinda like how a notary public can't sign off on their poo poo. Also if I recall, grover has a PE in electrical engineering so I don't think he can stamp house blueprints.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Powaqoatse posted:

make their gangtag really bad lol

counterpoint:

How bout it be :krad: as heck

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah, engineering organizations and licensure boards have rules about not endangering the public welfare or not having a conflict of interest.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Just PM me the ones you want

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

EmmyOk posted:

Just PM me the ones you want

We can do that for gang tags now?! I've missed out for so long... :negative:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Panfilo posted:

Well sure, but having people track down your actual house and taking creepshots of it? I think that's crossing the line.

The other issue is that you could have a Goon overshare about Dumb Goon Thing, get mocked and ostracized for it, and eventually come around to what all the other Goons are saying. But by then it is often too late and people will beat a dead horse about it past the point of being compost. In the meantime that Goon is still having to deal with the potential reprecussions months/years later. There's having a thick skin, and there's avoiding ongoing harassment.

Oh I guess I was responding to the first part of the post - obviously driving past his house was way over the line. I guess I just think it's a shame if people can't share stuff because goons will take it way too far - the relative insulation of the early internet from supercreeps was really fun and it's kind of a shame that earnesty is dead.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Oh I guess I was responding to the first part of the post - obviously driving past his house was way over the line. I guess I just think it's a shame if people can't share stuff because goons will take it way too far - the relative insulation of the early internet from supercreeps was really fun and it's kind of a shame that earnesty is dead.

I'm not entirely sure if it was ever all that protected, to be honest; I've been on this site so damned long now (took me a few years to join, even), and I mostly remember goon rushes and "touching the poop" in the early days. Might be some rose-colored glasses effect on how we remember it. Portal of Evil was pretty good at just watching and waiting to my recollection, but that place is long gone now.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

We can do that for gang tags now?! I've missed out for so long... :negative:

No I just meant the two posters who made the best posts after I offered gangtags for the best posts on a particular topic.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah i kinda unironically miss the times when everyone online had livejournals and posted drunken love confessions and talked poo poo about their boss and nobodys parents were online and doxxing wasnt even a word

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

A Spider Covets posted:

I'm not entirely sure if it was ever all that protected, to be honest; I've been on this site so damned long now (took me a few years to join, even), and I mostly remember goon rushes and "touching the poop" in the early days. Might be some rose-colored glasses effect on how we remember it. Portal of Evil was pretty good at just watching and waiting to my recollection, but that place is long gone now.

Yeah, I remember goons got some kid expelled from his school after he vented about one of his teachers. This was in 2002 or 03

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I dont remember exactly when "internet detectivery" started, but it was around the time leading up to the Helldump forum being created.

some examples i remember:
- someone in the p-p-p-powerbook thread drove by the supposed dropoff point and took a photo of a storefront
- that guy who posted about sniffing his sisters underwear & someone figured out his parents phone number and told his parents (then he came back & claimed it was a fakepost & his life was ruined but who knows)
- that "hello i am from the internet" phonecall (i think about some kid credit card scamming?)

all these were hailed as heroes

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

No I just meant the two posters who made the best posts after I offered gangtags for the best posts on a particular topic.

Fair enough.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

I dont remember exactly when "internet detectivery" started, but it was around the time leading up to the Helldump forum being created.

- that "hello i am from the internet" phonecall (i think about some kid credit card scamming?)

that sounds like Alias777

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1823357

EDIT: also the earliest reference to the term "internet detective" as a term of posting personal information about somebody on saclopedia was around early 2006

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Powaqoatse posted:

- someone in the p-p-p-powerbook thread drove by the supposed dropoff point and took a photo of a storefront
- that guy who posted about sniffing his sisters underwear & someone figured out his parents phone number and told his parents (then he came back & claimed it was a fakepost & his life was ruined but who knows)

all these were hailed as heroes

Yeah I've heard of those. And while Internet vigilantism can be used as a force of good (like people that helped suicidal or drug overdosed people by getting the authorities to get to them) there is far more potential for harm. People's Internet memories are long and if you look at how dedicated people can be about stalking and tormenting someone (like Christian Chandler) you can see how easy it is for people to take it too drat far yet vehemently justify it as some common good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CWC stalkers and whoever updates that ED page on her have far, far more issues than she ever has.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Panfilo posted:

Yeah I've heard of those. And while Internet vigilantism can be used as a force of good (like people that helped suicidal or drug overdosed people by getting the authorities to get to them) there is far more potential for harm. People's Internet memories are long and if you look at how dedicated people can be about stalking and tormenting someone (like Christian Chandler) you can see how easy it is for people to take it too drat far yet vehemently justify it as some common good.

yeah im definitely not saying its a good thing anymore & im sure it was abused back then too, just not as much/consistently i guess?

now that everyone is extremely online and there's more than enough hate to go around, its life ruining type poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

yeah im definitely not saying its a good thing anymore & im sure it was abused back then too, just not as much/consistently i guess?

now that everyone is extremely online and there's more than enough hate to go around, its life ruining type poo poo

It was definitely abused back then too

This is the earliest instance I can find on the forums at a glance of internet detectiving people being used for ill and overall seen as a negative. And this is the very beginning of January 2006.

Basically, a guy who posted here and worked at Microsoft would post tidbits of information about what was coming down the pipe from them. Somebody else took issue with that and reported it to his bosses at MS, who then fired him.