Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

Presumably Stamets, a xenomycologist by trade, wouldn’t also have the knowledge to be able to take care of that alongside his own pet project?
You don't watch many movies, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Phi230 posted:

How can a show do fanservice if the fans hate it

By getting cancelled

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Chop Sunni posted:

Mudd and ..the other ...tribble guy.. blur together too closely. I wonder if many others besides me were thinking of him.

Cyrano Jones is amusing, in a campy sort of way, and I always consider him at least a minor bonus to watching TwT.

I've never liked Mudd. Ever since I was a child, back when TNG was first airing and TOS episodes were in syndication after getting home from school, I've liked Mudd less than any other Trek character I can think of, probably (the Outrageous Okona isn't too far behind, but he's just boring and tedious, more than anything).

I like the Mudd episodes the least of all the TOS episodes, too, and they're in my lowest ranking Trek episodes, as well.

He's just...I don't know what it is, exactly. But I don't like him. He's negative-entertainment-value for me. If nothing else, I have to give Discovery credit, because my reaction to nu-Mudd is light-years more positive than it ever was to the old one, I was really dreading their being so eager to hint that he'd be in Discovery in the last couple of years, but the outcome (the specific character) is far, far better than I'd worried about, the rest of the episode notwithstanding.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It's pretty sad when even Gary Seven is a cooler TOS guest character than Harry Mudd.

NuMudd is pretty great though, but I get the feeling he'll get old fast. Hopefully the rumors about him returning several more times this season are wrong.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

It's pretty sad when even Gary Seven is a cooler TOS guest character than Harry Mudd.

NuMudd is pretty great though, but I get the feeling he'll get old fast. Hopefully the rumors about him returning several more times this season are wrong.

They've devoted a lot of time to the character already - he'll definitely be back.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Bardeh posted:

They've devoted a lot of time to the character already - he'll definitely be back.

Gotta say, if he ends up telling the Klingons all the Discovery's secrets, I'll think less of this episode. Let's not make that dumb ending extra difficult to ignore, shall we?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

And More posted:

Gotta say, if he ends up telling the Klingons all the Discovery's secrets, I'll think less of this episode. Let's not make that dumb ending extra difficult to ignore, shall we?

I mean, ultimately we all know that the Discovery is pretty much destined to blow up and all of the spore drive nonsense research completely abandoned.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
To me TOS isn't star trek. The movies, TNG and DS9 are.
I barely remember the Mudd episodes and I can't really see that there's many people watching going "Oh my god, Harry Mudd!!".

I've seen them, of course, but even after a recent rewatch I don't paticularly remember the Mudd stuff. I don't get why they decided to bring him back.

quote:

I mean, ultimately we all know that the Discovery is pretty much destined to blow up and all of the spore drive nonsense research completely abandoned.
I hate prequels. Really. It just gets rid of so much storytelling potential.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

In season two, the spore Drive throws Discovery irrevocably into the future and the rest of the series takes place post-Voyager

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

The_Doctor posted:

So the room with the spore drive is actually Main Engineering, but the ship also has a fully functioning warp drive, so is that in the room too? Where are all those engineers? Presumably Stamets, a xenomycologist by trade, wouldn’t also have the knowledge to be able to take care of that alongside his own pet project?

He doesn't. There was an interview with Anthony Rapp a week or two ago where the interviewer asked him if Stamets was a scientist or an engineer and he replied " Stamets is not an engineer. He understands HOW the engines work, but he can't repair or build the engines"

Also the TOS Engineering set had like a small room and the actual warp core was offscreen behind it. There's no reason to think the spore drive couldn't just be in the same area as that offscreen warp core is.

The Bloop posted:

In season two, the spore Drive throws Discovery irrevocably into the future and the rest of the series takes place post-Voyager

I've actually considered this may be an angle they take. I think it's more likely they find out the use of the drive damages the galaxy irreparably somehow, and they do some time travel fuckery to make it never have been invented.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well Braga is on the writing staff...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

From the same guys who brought you those $27 Disco T-shirts:

http://www.startrek.com/article/discovery-standees-klingon-uniform-tees-available-now

Maybe if this show went another season I might get one of the standups, but ehhh

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Just watched the last two back to back and Sweet Jesus this is some painful writing. Narration that'd make Zack Braff blush.

Whoever wrote the party scenes needs some broken fingers.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 2, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The Bloop posted:

This is totally fine.

I've also seen the theories flying around that Discovery actually takes place in the Mirror Universe, which seems real dumb. Or that the Spore Drive somehow fucks up and the ship pulls a Voyager and is sent far away where no one has gone before with no possibility of return. A sort of Voyager Reboot.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

This is totally fine.

I've also seen the theories flying around that Discovery actually takes place in the Mirror Universe, which seems real dumb. Or that the Spore Drive somehow fucks up and the ship pulls a Voyager and is sent far away where no one has gone before with no possibility of return. A sort of Voyager Reboot.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone is from the mirror universe, maybe Lorca or Security Chief McBeardy.

Actually getting Voyager'd would be a good thing for the show, imo

The far future bit would probably suck though because there is no way the Discovery could hold up to anything, other than the zoom drive. A single drat Kazon ship would probably own them, armament, shields, and sensors-wise. Maybe them being super fragile but able to bampf would actually be interesting, though. Not that it matters, none of this will happen. It will just be the Section 31 ship.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I'd be fine with that, I always thought Voyager should've waited several episodes before becoming stranded. They really could have used some resolution time at the end too. Really I'd just like a reboot of Voyager that is serial but not as dark as BSG. Speaking of BSG, the spore drive reminds me of the FTL in that show.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Drone posted:

This is totally fine.

It's definitely not in the mirror universe. Although they've said they're going to have something from there so Lorca (as said before) might be.

The spore drive stuff only fitted when the rumours were saying the show was an anthology. Now it's not I just don't get what's going to happen. Will the drive be gone at the end of this series or is it a multi series thing? I know we don't know the answer there yet but it doesn't seem like a show that's going to run and run, rather one that's going to end.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Shut up. He's right that a few minutes delay to talk to the captain would be a reasonable thing for Stamets to try. There's no way space environmental law operates in 30 minute increments.

Start around 13:06 and pay attention this time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I did rewatch it offscreen. Now I'll tell you about it:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Taear posted:

It's definitely not in the mirror universe. Although they've said they're going to have something from there so Lorca (as said before) might be.

The spore drive stuff only fitted when the rumours were saying the show was an anthology. Now it's not I just don't get what's going to happen. Will the drive be gone at the end of this series or is it a multi series thing? I know we don't know the answer there yet but it doesn't seem like a show that's going to run and run, rather one that's going to end.

Michael must self destruct the spore drive to save reality. This causes a multidimensional tachyon wave collapse that makes the ship and her disappear from history. This also has the side effect of making the Klingons look completely different and make Star Fleet have regulation mini dresses for some reason.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Michael must self destruct the spore drive to save reality. This causes a multidimensional tachyon wave collapse that makes the ship and her disappear from history. This also has the side effect of making the Klingons look completely different and make Star Fleet have regulation mini dresses for some reason.

Also, the food dispensers produce colorful cubes instead of sass

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I'm going to say the replicator stuff from TOS and the outfits from TOS don't matter much to me. Nearly everything in there isn't canon any more anyway.

The klingons not being viking warriors is pretty boring though. What could possibly tie the spore drive in with them and "fix" them? Who knows.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I would like to appreciate that, when presented with a time loop, nobody in this episode decided that the best course of action was to completely ignore it, like Picard did every time

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Calling it now, Mudd is a Q.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't give a gently caress about Mudd or any other minor TOS poo poo.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I just can't see what reason they had for setting this show before TOS other than them thinking Spock and etc are the only popular things about Star Trek. Every other thing makes a SHITLOAD more sense to be post DS9 at least.

The spore drive would be more of a question mark, the Klingons are potentially on the cusp of joining the Federation and T'kuvma could fit that into what he's doing much better. And ISIS for Klingons would fit too.
It's such a loving stupid choice.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Taear posted:

I just can't see what reason they had for setting this show before TOS other than them thinking Spock and etc are the only popular things about Star Trek. Every other thing makes a SHITLOAD more sense to be post DS9 at least.

Pfft, nobody's nostalgic for the 80s and 90s! They want to see the return of characters last seen during the Johnson administration!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Taear posted:

The spore drive would be more of a question mark, the Klingons are potentially on the cusp of joining the Federation and T'kuvma could fit that into what he's doing much better. And ISIS for Klingons would fit too.

I'm enjoying the show enough so far. Its better than voyager at the moment, and the production value is top notch, but this obsession with TOS is starting to bother me. Honestly who outside of like, 60 year old boomers are THAT interested in the TOS stuff? It feels like they want to pretend everything post TOS never happened, when thats like, what the majority of people are nostalgic for and grew up on at this point. I couldn't give less of a gently caress about Harry Mudd if you paid me. Everything would be amazing if this was post voyager.

The tech would all look in place, the uniforms every bit of production design would just fit. The spore drive would be a neat new thing of mystery instead of something we all know is predestined to disappear its just a matter of how. The future of the klingons is a certainty with zero mystery behind it. The future of the federation and the war is a certainty with no drama behind it.

Like, the show itself isn't bad, the production design isn't bad (though some of the ship and other designs are WAY too busy), the story isn't terrible, but the setting is just the worst part of it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm enjoying the show enough so far. Its better than voyager at the moment, and the production value is top notch, but this obsession with TOS is starting to bother me. Honestly who outside of like, 60 year old boomers are THAT interested in the TOS stuff? It feels like they want to pretend everything post TOS never happened, when thats like, what the majority of people are nostalgic for and grew up on at this point. I couldn't give less of a gently caress about Harry Mudd if you paid me. Everything would be amazing if this was post voyager.

I'd say you're wrong here. To most people Star Trek is TOS and the movies. I get why they'd pick it. More people know who Kirk and Spock are than know who Picard and Riker are.
They want to appeal to the "common man" which I guess is fine. But it's still a rubbish choice and I hate it.

That isn't to say I'm not enjoying the show because I am! I just wish it wasn't a foregone conclusion.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Taear posted:

I'd say you're wrong here. To most people Star Trek is TOS and the movies. I get why they'd pick it. More people know who Kirk and Spock are than know who Picard and Riker are.
They want to appeal to the "common man" which I guess is fine. But it's still a rubbish choice and I hate it.

That isn't to say I'm not enjoying the show because I am! I just wish it wasn't a foregone conclusion.

I feel like this is common wisdom and therefore likely wrong. In the key demo it's almost certainly wrong just because of age.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Arglebargle III posted:

I feel like this is common wisdom and therefore likely wrong. In the key demo it's almost certainly wrong just because of age.

It's likely a generational thing. TNG has sorta exploded in the public consciousness (as much as Star Trek can explode at all anymore) for whatever reason over the past decade-ish. Probably because of Netflix.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Taear posted:

Approximately no one wanted it to be a prequel for exactly these reasons. They keep going back to the TOS well because they want maximum profit for minimum effort and they think that era is the easiest to tweak those nostalgic heartstrings.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Taear posted:

I just can't see what reason they had for setting this show before TOS other than them thinking Spock and etc are the only popular things about Star Trek

Dumbfuck manager and CEO types in some boardroom.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
TOS era is a proven quantity, they made three movies “about” “it” in just the last few years and they put asses in seats. Not as many as they wanted, ok, but to studio heads that is a lot more convincing than TNG era, a setting that the franchise has done nothing of importance in for nearly 20 years now.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

McSpanky posted:

Approximately no one wanted it to be a prequel for exactly these reasons. They keep going back to the TOS well because they want maximum profit for minimum effort and they think that era is the easiest to tweak those nostalgic heartstrings.

I’ve been giving The Orville a chance and it’s generally a terrible show, but it absolutely nails the look, pacing, and production values of those 90s Trek shows (for better or, more often, worse). Even just the way it transitions to/from commercial breaks triggers massive nostalgia flags for me, and that nostalgia is pretty much 100% why I’ve stuck with it for as long as I have. So, yeah, there’s definitely an audience that’s nostalgic for that era.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

I know it's anecdotal but as a 30 year old most of my peers would only know Kirk and Spock.

There's a gameshow called Pointless where you have to try and get the answer none of the 100 people surveyed knew - in that Kirk and Spock are almost always super high whereas anything from any other Star Trek is low. Super low. It's usually pretty representative as well.
That's the UK so it might not be true of the US, but still.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Drone posted:

It's likely a generational thing. TNG has sorta exploded in the public consciousness (as much as Star Trek can explode at all anymore) for whatever reason over the past decade-ish. Probably because of Netflix.

Because now 30-40 yo ~thought leaders~ grew up watching it. That's it. It's an age thing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phylodox posted:

I’ve been giving The Orville a chance and it’s generally a terrible show

You must have impossibly high standards for television or an odd meaning of "terrible"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The Bloop posted:

You must have impossibly high standards for television or an odd meaning of "terrible"

It has terrible production values. It looks like a sitcom (which, I guess, it is). It consistently hits the bar for “middling to bad episode of Voyager”. Any interesting ideas and themes are immediately and ruthlessly undercut by its terrible, smarmy humour. Every character has the same voice, Seth McFarlane’s, and I find him viscerally repulsive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Taear posted:

The post-DS9 Trek timeline is painted into a corner of gently caress by late DS9 and Voyager. There's not a lot left to explore, and there are time travelling narcs everywhere. It's a dead end.