Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7afflf/i_need_help_financing_3050k_in_surgeries/

quote:

Hopefully this post doesnt start very much hate but it's something I have to do.

I need to finance between 30-50 thousand in elective surgeries. As far as I have been able to figure out, one option is financing through creditcare. This would put me somewhere between 600-900 dollars a month to pay it off before the super high interest rates hits.

I don't know if there are options to have the flexibility to extend paying this past 60 months for smaller more manageable payments like 400 a month through other avenues or if this is just as good as I am going to be able to get.

Currently I am employed by the united states airforce and make ~42 thousand a year after benefits. They cannot cover this through conventional means. I do have good marketable skills and am predicting a pay jump because of averages in my career field to ~70-110 thousand a year after I leave service in 2 and a half years but I would prefer to have this done sooner rather than later.

Is there any advice anyone might be able to impart to me on how to cover this? (Please no, "its not worth it" comments) I'm not a kid, I wouldnt do something this impacting on my life if it wasnt necessary.

Thank you so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

That's kind of :smith: actually.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

FrozenVent posted:

That's kind of :smith: actually.

Yeah uh, it seems like she’s trans and talking about transition-related surgeries, many of which are sometimes considered medically necessary or covered by health insurance.

Honestly, her best bet is probably trying to get it covered by insurance (through getting doctor’s notes and poo poo).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Being that they're in the USAF, under President Trump... :smith:

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

As far as I know the military still covers gender reassignment surgery, so if it's that it's unclear to me why the person would have to pay for the whole thing themselves.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/13/politics/house-defeats-bid-block-pentagon-transgender-surgeries/index.html

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
There was just a court ruling on that actually after the orange pissbaby tried to throw them out of the military entirely. Removing them immediately and not allowing new trans enrollment is injuncted, but I think the ban on paying for any treatment or surgeries is still in effect.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Droo posted:

As far as I know the military still covers gender reassignment surgery, so if it's that it's unclear to me why the person would have to pay for the whole thing themselves.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/13/politics/house-defeats-bid-block-pentagon-transgender-surgeries/index.html

The military doesn't cover gender reassignment surgery. It never has(*) This doesn't contradict the fact that a bill banning the military from doing so was defeated.

What this means is that the military while the military is not forbidden by law from covering gender reassignment surgery, it does not cover it as a matter of policy.

(*) - Medically necessary procedures are covered. If you're serving as transgender and the surgery is medically necessary, then it's covered. Since October of last year.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Phanatic posted:

(*) - Medically necessary procedures are covered. If you're serving as transgender and the surgery is medically necessary, then it's covered. Since October of last year.

So what's the difference between a medically necessary gender reassignment surgery and an elective one? Whether an army shrink says so?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Droo posted:

So what's the difference between a medically necessary gender reassignment surgery and an elective one? Whether an army shrink says so?

Probably similar to what it is for insurance companies, depending on the scale of surgery necessary. If you're talking about full-bore sterilization and genital reconstruction, it's probably at least two letters of approval from mental health professionals, one of which is from someone who's involved on a purely evaluative basis (like, not your primary care, a neutral third party), a documented history of gender dysphoria, being on a long regimen of hormone replacement, and having no other uncontrolled physical or mental health issues. "Medically necessary" typically means that the treatment is generally recognized by the medical community as clinically appropriate in scope, that it will effectively treat the underlying problem, is not being done primarily for convenience, and isn't more expensive than some other avenue of treatment that would be equally effective.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 3, 2017

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Hoodwinker posted:

150k a year is hardly enough to save up for a down payment in the Australian horse market, these days. Better just put it in your 401(neigh)

I smell another sequel to "The Man from Snowy River."

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Bite sized BWM

Is there any "catch" to signing up for a BestBuy credit card in order to finance a Nintendo? posted:

I want the Nintendo Switch. I'd prefer paying for it in monthly installments instead of all at once. It looks like I can do that at Best Buy, but I have to get their credit card first. I will not be spending any money on that card. Is this a good idea? I don't know if the financing would be with interest or not.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you have no credit I guess that’s not the absolute worst way to kick things off.

But that’s only if you go into it with the intention of establishing credit and you pay whatever off quick. Not paying off a video game system in installments.

It’s me, the guy who explains the jokes.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Moneyball posted:

After reading this derail, IMO we need a world government to outlaw having children for one century.

gently caress yeah, Children of Men is my favorite movie.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Inept posted:

Bite sized BWM

To answer this redditor's question in case anyone here didn't know the specifics, most store credit cards are are a BWM trap. The Best Buy one is not an exception.
The catch is that the interest free period isn't really an interest free period. If you don't have the entire balance paid off in full when it ends they charge you interest retroactively based on the entire length of the period and the original price of whatever you bought, all at once.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Couldn't you just buy the Nintendo switch on Layaway? I heard that payment method has been coming back lately.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Panfilo posted:

Couldn't you just buy the Nintendo switch on Layaway? I heard that payment method has been coming back lately.

But then you don't get to take it home that day.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

metallicaeg posted:

John Smith doesn't let facts or statistics get in the way of his objectively bad opinions and declarations.

Ah... a man so smugly self-satisfied in his convictions and yet completely ignorant of the definition of “opinion”.

I re-iterate, ***plenty*** of Americans are fine. Not most, which is an objective factual claim of >50%, but plenty.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

THF13 posted:

To answer this redditor's question in case anyone here didn't know the specifics, most store credit cards are are a BWM trap. The Best Buy one is not an exception.
The catch is that the interest free period isn't really an interest free period. If you don't have the entire balance paid off in full when it ends they charge you interest retroactively based on the entire length of the period and the original price of whatever you bought, all at once.
In other words, fine if you have the self-discipline to pay it off before the promo period ends, but not fine if you're the sort of person who isn't even sure if the card they're looking into charges interest or not.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

THF13 posted:

It's not terrible, even with a bad interest rate, as long as you're paying off the bill in a reasonable time and not continuously adding new stuff on it. Like financing a fridge. As long as you know the terms and don't caught in some sort of vicious revolving credit interest cycle it's okay. Not great, but alright depending on the opportunity cost of paying cash.

But then Best Buy turns your store card into a Best Buy VISA card, but never decreases the store card interest rate and you're paying 24% on your McDonald's extra value meals. That is bad. Real bad.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Another BWM trap is employees getting sucked into getting a store credit card themselves. This happened to my wife when she was young; she worked at Macy's and was talked into getting a Macy's credit card. At the time she thought she was being practical because she pulled in pretty good money from commissions there, the card itself has little promotions to tempt you into using it, etc. The problem was she loved clothes, and working at a clothing retailer makes those impulse purchases that much easier, particularly with a credit card that facilitates it. She racked up a fair amount of credit card debt this way and the effort it took for her to pay it off was a harsh lesson to learn.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

A lot of the time they pitch those cards at the register by offering a discount on your current purchase, and people sign up to get the $25 credit or whatever without even really having a chance to look at the terms. Sometimes it's not even clear its a credit card when they're making the sell, because they'll call it a 'store card' and people think its like a loyalty program until you hit the details of the application process.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
And compared to other cards that offer benefits and perks those store cards are not worth it. My wife and I have a Costco visa card that we regularly get the maximum amount of cash back every year (I believe it is $750 or so) in addition to reimbursing us for our annual membership fee. And this is simply by paying the balance off every month and more or less using it on purchases we'd be making anyway. I doubt a Best Buy card could offer a fraction of that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Amazon Prime Store Card was bitching. Not the Amazon Visa, but their store card with a lovely mid-20's interest rate. If you paid it off each month you got a 5% statement credit, which is pretty good if you live your life nestled comfortably next to Jeff Bezo's amazing abs.

I say 'was' because now it just switched to points and I have no idea how well those compare, but I'm going to guess 'not very'.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Amazon Prime Store Card was bitching. Not the Amazon Visa, but their store card with a lovely mid-20's interest rate. If you paid it off each month you got a 5% statement credit, which is pretty good if you live your life nestled comfortably next to Jeff Bezo's amazing abs.

I say 'was' because now it just switched to points and I have no idea how well those compare, but I'm going to guess 'not very'.

Both get you essentially 5% cash back.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Panfilo posted:

Another BWM trap is employees getting sucked into getting a store credit card themselves. This happened to my wife when she was young; she worked at Macy's and was talked into getting a Macy's credit card. At the time she thought she was being practical because she pulled in pretty good money from commissions there, the card itself has little promotions to tempt you into using it, etc. The problem was she loved clothes, and working at a clothing retailer makes those impulse purchases that much easier, particularly with a credit card that facilitates it. She racked up a fair amount of credit card debt this way and the effort it took for her to pay it off was a harsh lesson to learn.

It at least used to be the case that Macy's would give their employees a discount - but only if they used the Macy's card.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Visa card gives you 5% back on Amazon purchases, and like 2-3% off on restaurants and gas stations I think? and then 1% off everything else.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's not terrible, even with a bad interest rate, as long as you're paying off the bill in a reasonable time and not continuously adding new stuff on it. Like financing a fridge. As long as you know the terms and don't caught in some sort of vicious revolving credit interest cycle it's okay. Not great, but alright depending on the opportunity cost of paying cash.

But then Best Buy turns your store card into a Best Buy VISA card, but never decreases the store card interest rate and you're paying 24% on your McDonald's extra value meals. That is bad. Real bad.

I can give you another issue with a best buy card. My wife setup the payment plan with the company before the charges went through on the account. Because of their billing system, it said we were late every month despite the money being there before the billing system even set the charge. We didn't discover this until 6 months later.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Just get the amazon prime visa from Chase. 5% on all amazon still, just goes in points that you can redeem at normal cash back rate only you have to do it in chunks of like $25 or $50

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/7ak8dr/me_34m_with_my_wife_35f_10_years_we_are_taking/

quote:

Me [34M] with my wife [35F] 10 years, we are taking our first vacation since having kids (8 years). She insists we take separate flights which will cost up to $1000 extra. She's afraid of a crash but this means we have much less money to do stuff on the trip

Hello everyone, using a throwaway.

My wife and I are about to leave on our first vacation since we've had kids 8 years ago. We've planned for over a year and we leave the Sunday before thanksgiving. Both sets of our parents are coming to our town to have a huge thanksgiving and get the kids to school while we get some time away. We are heading to Hawaii and while we are not "scrimping" by any means, we aren't super wealthy people and we are having to look for deals in order to get to do everything we want to do.

Over the weekend my wife aparently talked to her best friend who imparted on her that we NEED to take separate flights because if the plane were to crash our kids would be without both parents. I actually thought she was kidding at first and made the mistake of saying "that's so ridiculous it's not even funny." She got really mad at me and didn't speak to me until Tuesday morning. I realized that she was really upset so I started looking into changing the flights.

Basically for us to get there on the same day it would cost us $1094 extra from the tickets we've already purchased. There are other options but the option that's affordable would mean one of us would miss about 4 days of the 10 day vacation.

She is insisting that this is so worth it to her that she's willing to forgo some of the activities we had planned (stuff I was really looking forward to doing like scuba and surf lessons, even a helicopter ride).

She is unwilling to bend and every time I tell her how safe it really is she gets really mad at me and even broke up a coffee cup this morning she said she was so tired of hearing my "bullshit."

Do I need to just bite the bullet and exchange one ticket and make her happy?

tl;dr: My wife and I are going on our first vacation in 8 years. she is insisting at about the last minute we get two separate flights in case of a plane crash. Should I just buy the ticket despite the cost?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Chin Strap posted:

Just get the amazon prime visa from Chase. 5% on all amazon still, just goes in points that you can redeem at normal cash back rate only you have to do it in chunks of like $25 or $50

It's not just points, you can get statement credit or cash back in any amount you want. $20 is the minimum to cash out but any amount works and it doesn't have to be an even number.

Spend all your money on Amazon ---> Get points ---> Turn points into cash ---> Spend new cash on Amazon ---> Get more points.

Nice. This is a good one.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Wife is going to kill him

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Isis recruiting strategy

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If she's that worried she should just stay home. Cancel her ticket and also maybe don't come back from Hawaii.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

This one is a bit of a rollercoaster.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7aiuvo/impending_tax_bill/ posted:

I am in somewhat of a unique situation and hoping someone can help. I recently got married to my lovely wife ~6 months ago. I am not a very showy or flashy person and would have preferred a small, cheap ceremony, but everyone knows how that one goes. The wedding was quite extravagant and ended up costing ~$300,000. The wedding ended up being amazing though the cost of the wedding was a point of contention for months leading up to it and remains a touchy subject. My wife comes from a well off family and paid for almost the entire wedding.

My wife is extremely hands off about money and has no idea how much she has. When I’ve tried to inquire she doesn’t know how to even find out and her family is somewhat secretive about it. My father in law recently told us to be ready for a 10+k tax bill this year so I asked further and found out the wedding was financed by my wife selling off hundreds of thousands of dollars of stock. I had asked her whether we were spending her money or her parents money and she said her parents (she left out or didn’t know it was in her name). What freaked me out is when I asked her how much she sold said she didn’t know, but could be 2 or 300,000 of stock (@15% is 45k, almost half our combined salary)

My in laws previously had encouraged my wife not to even tell me that she even had a trust fund/money in her name which wasn’t exactly difficult for me to get out of her. My FIL wants us to use his accountant to just take care of it, when I asked him how much his accountant would cost he said he’s not sure since he’s never asked. I trust my wife dearly, she has always let her father take care of all her finances, which I just feel extremely uncomfortable doing.

Does anyone know the easiest way to predict capital gains tax? And whether any was withheld? Is there a form I can have her get from her financial advisor? I am obviously way over my head given the complexity and how in the dark I am about her financial situation. Thanks!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I hope they never travel in the same car together. Flying is orders of magnitude safer than driving.

People are so ridiculous about flying anxiety.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

He needs to do what she wants and book them seats on separate planes and then just hope like hell that at least one of them crashes.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Inept posted:

This one is a bit of a rollercoaster.

I can't tell if the FIL is saying, "don't worry it's taken care of of" or "I hope you are ready to step up and pay this".

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The smart move would be to tell her that she's leaving on the original flight and he'll rebook to an alternative. Then just call the airline and have the seats switched so that they travel at opposite ends of the plane, make sure he boards/deboards last so they don't run into each other. Just turn up at the hotel later in the day from your own flight.

Also spend that $1000 on therapy.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Guinness posted:

I hope they never travel in the same car together. Flying is orders of magnitude safer than driving.

People are so ridiculous about flying anxiety.

I mean it's not rational but this woman is obviously really juiced up, she's leaving her babies for the first time in eight (!!!) years, it sounds like they don't do a lot of flying anyway, so I feel bad for them but $1,000 isn't going to bankrupt anyone anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I mean it's not rational but this woman is obviously really juiced up, she's leaving her babies for the first time in eight (!!!) years, it sounds like they don't do a lot of flying anyway, so I feel bad for them but $1,000 isn't going to bankrupt anyone anyway.

Hormones are BWM. I mean this across the board and not just this particular situation.