Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

betterinsodapop posted:

I'm liking it so far. It's a pretty flexible pedal. You can put it in polyphonic mode, and it will track notes (and even chords) nearly perfectly. Alternatively, in "classic" mode, it's more monophonic and glitchy. It's cheaper than any variety of EHX POG by about $70, and its controls are simple and effective. I like it.

Wait until you start downloading toneprints or messing with the toneprint editor and start adding flanging or other modulation to your octaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Schpyder posted:

Wait until you start downloading toneprints or messing with the toneprint editor and start adding flanging or other modulation to your octaving.
I can't wait to dive into that wacky poo poo. I'm so pissed I'm not going to be home this weekend; I wanted to gently caress around with it a lot more. Still, thanks for recommending the pedal to me!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Nebraska Tim posted:

Holy poo poo I never knew I needed this. :stare: Please detail how you prepared the neck before putting it all together. Did you paint the head yourself? How were the frets when you first received it? Anything to know ahead of time before ordering from MusiKraft?
Sure! The neck is completely unfinished except for the headstock. The headstock finish and decal were done by MJT, who built the body - I had the neck shipped directly to them. The frets were smooth and level, but a touch rough on the ends. My tech smoothed those out a bit after it went together.

The only thing I'd say about ordering a neck through Musikraft is know what you want, pretty exactly. Do your homework and know what nut width and fretboard radius and fret wire size and such that you want it to have, or else you can get kind of overwhelmed with options.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

X-posting from Guitar thread (long story associated with it there). Korean made (by Cort) 2008 Fender, "Special Edition Custom" Telecaster with Seymour Duncan humbuckers, neck binding, carved mahogany body, set neck and spalted maple top. A real factory bastard, basically the lovechild of a Tele and a Les Paul.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Clayton Bigsby posted:

X-posting from Guitar thread (long story associated with it there). Korean made (by Cort) 2008 Fender, "Special Edition Custom" Telecaster with Seymour Duncan humbuckers, neck binding, carved mahogany body, set neck and spalted maple top. A real factory bastard, basically the lovechild of a Tele and a Les Paul.

That’s great. I love spalted maple.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I'm not usually a fan of figured wood on guitars but I like that a lot. It's interesting without being gaudy.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Picked up a ZVex Double Rock (Vexter version) boost/distortion pedal.

Got it for about $50 off and couldn't help myself.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

betterinsodapop posted:

Picked up a ZVex Double Rock (Vexter version) boost/distortion pedal.

Got it for about $50 off and couldn't help myself.

You can never have too many distortion pedals.

I really want a Metal Zone, grew up with 80s thrash and it just hits the spot.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I bought a new thing - wasn't expecting too but too good to pass up. It's a 2016 LP Studio Faded HP.

The GC I bought it from didn't even know they had it. It was a transfer from another store back in 2016. The store that sent it, sent it to them in a Taylor box instead of Gibson. They've had it ever since, and because it hadn't been sold (because they had no idea they even had it in their possession) it had been clearing out on price ever since. Bought it for $750.

The G-Force auto tuners are kinda neat I guess - they do actually work after doing a lengthy calibration. Now I can switch from standard to Eb, to D, to open D by pressing a button and strumming the guitar. No, I didn't need it but they're great if you're feeling lazy.

I know burstbuckers are kinda looked down on but I really like the sound. The adjustable titanium zero fret nut is freaking awesome.

Not the biggest fan of the finish but considering how well it plays I can overlook that. I don't think I would have paid the original $1200 asking price for it, but you really can't beat it for $750. Just the Burstbuckers alone are ~$375 of that price.

Edit: Forgot about the loving phenomenal fast access heel. SO good compared to your average LP Studio.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 26, 2017

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You can never have too many distortion pedals.

I really want a Metal Zone, grew up with 80s thrash and it just hits the spot.
Boss Metal Zone is a classic. I def sold mine a few years ago...only to have to buy another one. Should be able to find a reasonably priced one on eBay.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You guys mean the HM-2, right?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Metalzone is apparently a pretty good pedal just much harder to use than the HM-2 because para EQs are fussy as hell whereas HM-2 you can get ~ * that sound * ~ by just cranking all the knobs :black101:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

And just like that I don’t know what’s real in the guitar world anymore

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Nothing is real in the guitar world and everything is bullshit.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Shugojin posted:

Nothing is real in the guitar world and everything is bullshit.

I recently got one of those boneshakers when they were on sale for cheap and am closer than I have been in a long time to getting the sort of dirt sound I want. Of course, this is nowhere near as easy as it seems, as even with the instructions in front of me, I'm not sure what approximately half these knobs actually do to the sound, and on top of that, I've been experimenting with dumping hotter signals into it via this monarch I've got (that really would be fine on its own if it had tubes to push) or my bog-standard muff but every time I sit down, the sound I thought I had when I last sat down isn't quite there, and I've got to go knob-twiddling some more.

just constant bullshit

ears playing tricks on me

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I just could not coax a sound I wanted out of the Boneshaker, sadly. For $40 it was worth the try AND the concept is great AND the guy who designed it is a genius, badass cool dude (Mark Wentz of Black Arts Toneworks). I'm sure they're still cheap on Reverb so anyone interested in mucking with a parametric high gain pedal should definitely give it a shot, particularly you Metal Zone fans.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My $40 Boneshaker has a buzz, a bad one, no matter how I power it. It's in the box.

I don't mind. It was $40.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
A Klon Centaur went up for sale for $2000 at my local second hand dealer.

It sold for $2000 1 day later.

...I mean it's a very nice overdrive, but jesus christ people. 200 bucks is probably a fair price.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

H13 posted:

...I mean it's a very nice overdrive, but jesus christ people. 200 bucks is probably a fair price.

Swop shop? I saw the listing and thought "gently caress it, Ima go in and ask to try it because why the hell not". Then when I clicked the link it was already sold.

e: I bet they wish they listed it for a lot more than 2G now.

Bill Posters fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 27, 2017

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

H13 posted:

There's a clone around the corner for $129 :laugh:

(I suspect it's more of a case of being a valuable commodity that just so happens to be in the form of a guitar pedal)

monolithburger fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Oct 27, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

And just like that I don’t know what’s real in the guitar world anymore

the metal zone is a versatile clean-ish boost pedal

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

The Metal Zone is fun, I'm glad I have it, and it makes me feel nostalgic. That said, it's never really in the pedal chain. Just kind off on its own island. Same goes for Tube Screamer; I'm glad I have it, but never use it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, is it pedal confession time already? OK, I'll bite. Even as a semi-retired recording engineer who has considerably downsized the amount of equipment he owned (went from having to rent a storage space to have every piece of musical equipment I own fit nicely in the "free room" of my studio), I've had a hard time getting rid of my pedals. I have like 60 or so "dirt boxes". The grand majority of the pedals, including the rest of the pedals I have, were bought used / non-functional. Most of them were easy fixes because one thing I learned is that most gringos are lazy as gently caress if they have money. Hell, same goes for most of my "boutique" expensive heads/combos: Like most of the "fixes" was just fixing a cable, a bias adjustment or popping in a new tube / set of tubes there.

Well, even with all that, and to make a long story short, 99% of the time I only ever use 3 pedals for dirt: A Fulltone OCD (and the "supposed" clone, the EHX East River Drive), the Xotic BB+ and an Electro-Harmonix Soul Food. And that's for the studio or when I play with my metal band. For the other band, I don't even bother and just use the "Solo" function of my amp or the sounds from a 4-Cable'd POD HD500.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Wark Say posted:

Oh, is it pedal confession time already? OK, I'll bite. Even as a semi-retired recording engineer who has considerably downsized the amount of equipment he owned (went from having to rent a storage space to have every piece of musical equipment I own fit nicely in the "free room" of my studio), I've had a hard time getting rid of my pedals. I have like 60 or so "dirt boxes". The grand majority of the pedals, including the rest of the pedals I have, were bought used / non-functional. Most of them were easy fixes because one thing I learned is that most gringos are lazy as gently caress if they have money. Hell, same goes for most of my "boutique" expensive heads/combos: Like most of the "fixes" was just fixing a cable, a bias adjustment or popping in a new tube / set of tubes there.

Well, even with all that, and to make a long story short, 99% of the time I only ever use 3 pedals for dirt: A Fulltone OCD (and the "supposed" clone, the EHX East River Drive), the Xotic BB+ and an Electro-Harmonix Soul Food. And that's for the studio or when I play with my metal band. For the other band, I don't even bother and just use the "Solo" function of my amp or the sounds from a 4-Cable'd POD HD500.

ive found im the same way

i tried a mz-2 for my metal sound but i mostly just liked it for the chorus/doubling but since it sounded like rear end on the red channel of my dsl i flipped it for a ps-2

now i just use an mf boost that's always on and switch between the high boost for the green channel and low boost for the red channel since it also adds a bit of compression along with being a volume pedal

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

monolithburger posted:

There's a clone around the corner for $129 :laugh:

(I suspect it's more of a case of being a valuable commodity that just so happens to be in the form of a guitar pedal)

Identical Klone pedal sells with free ship for $39 as a DIY kit or around $65 as a fully-assembled pedal on aliexpress.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
As a bassist who had a completely nonexistent signal chain a year ago, I'm starting to build up a nice little collection. Yesterday I received an EQ pedal, but the real star of the shipment was this Moog lowpass filter. I've already got a MXR envelope filter, but this was a great price and has the ability to connect four (!) expression pedals. It makes wonderfully silly noises and I need to buy an expression pedal very shortly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLIjCEBVHhc

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Klon isn't a terribly complicated circuit to make. $130 should be the most anyone pays for it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The Klon isn't a terribly complicated circuit to make. $130 should be the most anyone pays for it.
And yet...

Like Jesus poo poo, I get it; it does make for a killer push into Overdrive, but even the most expensive modded Soul Food costs like $140 and even in its non-modded, 80-dollar-costing glory, it does the same push into overdrive.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I like that even clone kits of the drat thing run up to $199

(Admittedly most of the ones I found are around 40 to 60)

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18 Head. (Cabinet is an Orange PPC112)

Really enjoying this thing so far. Plus, it looks cool with the blue lighting.

homewrecker fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 28, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I just made a JHS Superbolt clone (which is a Runoffgroove Supreaux Deux) but haven't cased it yet. Holy moly does this thing sound ragged and raw. PLUS, it runs at 18v so it has a shocking amount of gain... as in enough gain to play doom metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4P8TeFbvGM

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

For proper doom metal you should sell them exactly like that

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So yesterday I was playing my 2010 Gibson Les Paul Standard. It was screaming beautifully.

I put it in the 5-guitar toaster rack stand that it spends its life in when it isn't being played (which is most days of the week).

Today I picked it up, hit the low E string and it had magically downtuned to B. In fact, all the strings had dropped a good couple of notes.

Tuned it all up, and things went out of tune almost instantly.

Confused, I looked up...

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZBjrx

Broken loving headstock. If you've ever seen a broken headstock on a Les Paul, you know exactly what this looks like. It hasn't been dropped or bumped. It seems the headstock has just let go overnight from string tension.

In hindsight, I think this headstock has been moving for a long time. This guitar needed a setup once every 6 months, whereas all my other guitars (which are worth around 1k) would last a good 12-18 months without a setup. Recently, I'd bought new tuners (hadn't put them on yet) because it wasn't staying in tune that well. It probably wasn't staying in tune because the loving headstock was moving.

I know it's an easy and relatively cheap fix. I know that after getting fixed it'll probably never happen again and some say that Gibsons sound better after a headstock repair because the repair generally results in a more stable neck\headstock than when it came out of the factory (Seriously, gently caress you Gibson).

But a Gibson Les Paul is meant to be a hero guitar. It's meant to be the guitar which is unfuckwithable. The one which sustains for years and plays amazing and compensates for a lack of talent. It is not meant to be a guitar which commits suicide overnight (Or at the very least, breaks its loving head off after a bump so minor that it didn't register if\when it happened). The legend of the Les Paul suggests that the sun will burst out of your anus when you play one of these, and it has a price tag to match.

So much for that eh? This is like your Ferarri breaking down when you had it stored in your garage. Even if you get it fixed, it's kinda killed the buzz (Not referring to Fret Buzz. I have plenty of that right now).

My plan is: Get it fixed, then find me another Singlecut (not a Gibson!) which is the hero guitar that this thing was meant to be.

Seriously. gently caress you Gibson.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Ah, I see you've had The Gibson Experience. which usually consists of one or more of three things:

1. a headstock break
2. lovely fret and especially nut work straight from the factory
3. getting absolutely dicked around by horrible CS if something's wrong on the guitar

I've fortunately managed to avoid all three on my lone Gibson, but I don't think I'll be buying another (as much as I'd like like a white SG Special with P90s).

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Schpyder posted:

Ah, I see you've had The Gibson Experience. which usually consists of one or more of three things:

1. a headstock break
2. lovely fret and especially nut work straight from the factory
3. getting absolutely dicked around by horrible CS if something's wrong on the guitar

I've fortunately managed to avoid all three on my lone Gibson, but I don't think I'll be buying another (as much as I'd like like a white SG Special with P90s).

Yeah I kinda knew about Gibson headstocks and stuff before I bought mine. I played a LOT of Les Pauls before I got the one that I did. I guess most Gibson owners kinda think: "That happens to somebody ELSES Les Paul, but it won't happen to m-oh gently caress"

I'm totally done with Gibson though. Won't go near any of their poo poo ever again.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
aww your lp popped its cherry. this is a magical time in every gibson owner's life

anyway it's hilarious that gibson's dying boomer customer base and their stupid feelings are the reason why they refuse to join every other manufacturer on earth and use a scarf joint or at the very least leave in a volute at the end of the neck, either of which would reduce the number of headstock breaks to near zero

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Like baseball and umpires ruling on strike zones (instead of super loving cool laser robots). Fuckin' old stuffy fuddy duddies.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
If you don't care about aesthetics, glue and clamp it back on. I did it in a motel 6 somewhere outside of Salt Lake City and played it every night for the 2ish weeks with no problems. Also I play my guitars pretty hard.

Broken in Denver

Fixed in SLC the next day

2ish weeks later still in tune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQZOWteFNqc

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's heartbreaking. :(

But I'll tell you what my former boss / workshop teacher told me when I worked on my first Gibson with a broken headstock back in 1997: "There are at least 3 companies that do better Les Pauls than Gibson, and they all have close ties to them". He himself experienced this and that's how he came to become good at fixing them. His best guitar was a new (back then) Japanese ESP Eclipse that he absolutely loved playing despite the fact that it had a hilariously awful Lynch-esque finish. If I visit my hometown soon, I might ask him to let me take a picture, because I know for a fact that he still has the guitar with the original finish (I still think that he lowkey likes the tacky finish :allears:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

H13 posted:

Yeah I kinda knew about Gibson headstocks and stuff before I bought mine. I played a LOT of Les Pauls before I got the one that I did. I guess most Gibson owners kinda think: "That happens to somebody ELSES Les Paul, but it won't happen to m-oh gently caress"

I'm totally done with Gibson though. Won't go near any of their poo poo ever again.

You'd think that a guitar that weighs 2x that of a Strat or Tele would be built so that it can at least sit idle without self destructing.