Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shadowlyger posted:

And the point I'm making is that this is stupid. There shouldn't be choke points in loving space.

gowb posted:

His argument is a bit haphazard but I don't think he's saying it's not realistic, it's more like it doesn't fulfill the fantasy and freedom of a space game if your movement is constricted so much, which I can understand.
This is what I was getting from Shadowlger's posts. Not that it's unrealistic, but that it doesn't feel space-ey. Personally I like the reduced decision paralysis and more concrete "right so this bit of space is done on to the next bit" that hyperlanes give you for gameplay, but I totally get why people would feel the defined paths lessen the space feel of the game and why fully locally connected paths still wouldn't scratch that itch.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
For FFA games, I liked warp best because it's the zero bullshit go anywhere option, hyperlanes can sometimes be restrictive, wormholes require babbying all those stations.

Since we're getting eve-o/freelancer style travel now though, it's gonna be better so :shrug:

Nevets posted:

Stellaris - Wiz stuck his Hyperlane down my Wormhole and now it's Warped

mods, please

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

IAmTheRad posted:

There's one thing that has been bothering me.

Hearing 'Gateways' makes me think more of Fredrick Pohl's Heechee saga over someone named Cherryh.

Unless Pohl is more obscure than Cherryh. Or being saved for a future update.
I'd love a Gateway inspired base management game. Putting bounties on locations, getting income from patents, slowly teching up based on whatever crazy bullshit comes back. Have what the ship settings do scramble on every playthrough, pulling from a massive list so in one session the blue dial means star type and in another it's station ratings on space yelp.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

"I do not accept this game design change! I do not accept this game design change!" I shout as I slowly mod myself into a corn cob.
Pro post.

Baronjutter posted:

I actually kinda hate feeling forced to explore the entire drat galaxy with my 3 starting ships. I'll usually have the entire galaxy mapped by the time I've got my first colony. I'd much rather slowly explore with science ships.
Same.

Based on some of the changes I could see colonisation becoming a researchable again. I think (?) that since pooled food came in two planets no longer means double pop growth, and you don't need planets for fleet cap any more, so it's not quite such a gimme first research.

I'd like to see bubble cities as a thing. Raise the habitability requirements again but you can colonize by building pricey tiles with a capped habitability boost. If the planet'a base habitability is too low new pops will only grow on empty pre-built tiles.

A lot of this is probably from playing ascendancy again.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It is a little strange that there's no planet size increasing techs. Those are kind of a staple of 4x games.

But hey, when the big pop/tiles overhaul comes with Stellaris 2.5 we might get some of those.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Playing first game ever, first colony ship almost made me go space electric money bankrupt when the "pay x till colony goes live" costs kicked in lol.

Also my 1 neighbor I met is super capitalist cocksucker who immediately declared me his rival like a week after I guaranteed his sovereignty.

gently caress you space Trump lizards, time to build more of my patented "Snapping Turtle" class corvettes.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Im excited for the possibilities for additional megastructures. A mega-fortress of our own. A wormhole engine, super-stealth generator (anywhere is your space is nebula'd, mutually exclusive with the sensor relay), a whole bunch of options to add. (I really love mega-engineering a concept

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

It is a little strange that there's no planet size increasing techs. Those are kind of a staple of 4x games.

But hey, when the big pop/tiles overhaul comes with Stellaris 2.5 we might get some of those.

I would say that tile blocker removal fills that niche.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Wiz, please help!

Literally punishment detail lol.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

McGiggins posted:

Wiz, please help!

Literally punishment detail lol.

Send shadowlygr there. Then shoot him through the wormholes he loves so much.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

StealthArcher posted:

Send shadowlygr there. Then shoot him through the wormholes he loves so much.

Why don't we shoot you through a wormhole

into the Shroud

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

Why don't we shoot you through a wormhole

into the Shroud

Find me a post of me complaining like you about it being added and I will build the ship for you.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The closer this games gets to an actual RTS, the better it gets. These changes own.

All hail space geography! All hail "micro" (lmao you loving scrub, yes you)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think that we can all agree that EUV and CK2 were both extremely micro intensive games and that Stellaris moving further down that road is going to turn off the majority of its current fans. Only Star Craft 2 players like these changes.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

The level of micro required for combat in this game is still lower than the first 2 minutes of Starcraft, but yeah sure guy

e: i think I've been wooshed

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 3, 2017

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

turn off the TV posted:

I think that we can all agree that EUV and CK2 were both extremely micro intensive games and that Stellaris moving further down that road is going to turn off the majority of its current fans. Only Star Craft 2 players like these changes.

Huh?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
These unsourced copy pastas just own.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Truga posted:

These unsourced copy pastas just own.

It's an original creation but I think the fact that this thread has reached the point where it's taking a post comparing CK2 to Star Craft at face value is cool.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Mad props to you then.

And yeah, I love stellaris because combat tactics basically don't exist, there's just the strategic level, rather than poo poo like star craft or moving 10 billion unit stacks one unit at a time in civilization games.

Move fleet to enemy, overwhelm them by superior mineral expenditure. Going for any sort of micro skill gameplay would be stupid anyway, since you'd just have to pause a lot instead.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

For the sake of realism I've modded Stellaris to remove FTL travel options from the game.

This doesn't have to be a joke.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=838444260

Based on an earlier mod called "Einstein was Right".

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Truga posted:

Mad props to you then.

And yeah, I love stellaris because combat tactics basically don't exist, there's just the strategic level, rather than poo poo like star craft or moving 10 billion unit stacks one unit at a time in civilization games.

Move fleet to enemy, overwhelm them by superior mineral expenditure. Going for any sort of micro skill gameplay would be stupid anyway, since you'd just have to pause a lot instead.

That's the whole point. There is no micro in Stellaris. Clicking a few times is not micro!

The updated combat system adds a few extra clicks for a massive improvement in gameplay. That's an extremely fair trade off.

e: I'm dumb, we're actually agreeing

turn off the TV posted:

It's an original creation but I think the fact that this thread has reached the point where it's taking a post comparing CK2 to Star Craft at face value is cool.

Lol, good poo poo

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

So I’m watching the design corner video, and I haven’t finished it and maybe I missed it in the thread, but uh there’s a 3/10 underneath the fleet name where it used to just be a 3.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Another thing I hope we get with the update: I would really like to be able to shift-click to queue up 5 ships building at once.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

really queer Christmas posted:

So I’m watching the design corner video, and I haven’t finished it and maybe I missed it in the thread, but uh there’s a 3/10 underneath the fleet name where it used to just be a 3.

Yeah, this was trailed earlier. Really looking forward to finding out how individual fleet caps will work.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, fleet size limits are a new thing, I wonder if we might get some sort of fleet supply mechanic too to prevent you from just stacking all your fleets in the same spot.

These changes along with galactic geography seem like they'll work well to put an end to doom stacks.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Chalks posted:

Yeah, fleet size limits are a new thing, I wonder if we might get some sort of fleet supply mechanic too to prevent you from just stacking all your fleets in the same spot.

These changes along with galactic geography seem like they'll work well to put an end to doom stacks.
Thread Wisdom is that it's going to be a soft rather than a hard limit (like your ship and planet caps), and that dumping multiple fleets into one fight will act pretty much the same as dumping all the ships into one fleet.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Chalks posted:

It'd be neat if it has to do with the rank of the admiral you assign to the fleet.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Splicer posted:

Thread Wisdom is that it's going to be a soft rather than a hard limit (like your ship and planet caps), and that dumping multiple fleets into one fight will act pretty much the same as dumping all the ships into one fleet.

So like Hoi’s system of dumping too many divisions in a fight gives a penalty to all divisions? That could work though it would definitely give the advantage to the person with more tech every time since they can have better equipment per ship and higher fleet capacity.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

Some kind of stacking penalty seems likely, but wait and see I guess.

Enforcing much smaller per fleet caps, even if they area soft cap, at the very least seems to be a good first step.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
IMO tech should not increase single fleet size limits, but war tech being a semi-decent advantage should totally be a thing, seeing how salvaging battle wrecks with science ships is a big thing for warlikes. i.e. You can risk war with that high tech empire and hope for a standstill, but then you have better gear than many of your other neighbours.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I still worry that starbases have set limits to platforms/upgrades meaning they're very much capped, meaning fleets will be able to grow well beyond and make the defenses useless. It's the same problem we have now where at one point in the game a 10k fortress is tough, but later it might as well be a mining station. But, fleets are getting caps as well, so we'll see how it all plays out.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

So like Hoi’s system of dumping too many divisions in a fight gives a penalty to all divisions? That could work though it would definitely give the advantage to the person with more tech every time since they can have better equipment per ship and higher fleet capacity.
SotS's method worked well, in that even if your opponent had a higher fleet cap you could still wear them down with pure numbers, it just took a LOT of numbers (and you could do things like target the command ship in combat). The SotS stuff obviously doesn't translate directly, but it shows it's doable. That said, I'm hoping there's a few routes to higher fleet cap. Tech & unity, admiral level/traits, adding 1% of your total ship cap etc.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I like this system because it would 100% be an issue in a giant fleet battle, like a way to simulate your commanders loving up occasionally. It would definitely make fleets factor better into roleplaying. I make my fleets based on my empire fluff i.e. Terrans love lots of little fleets and missiles and strikecraft but the religious best friends forever spiders love 1 massive fleet with energy, etc.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 3, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I still worry that starbases have set limits to platforms/upgrades meaning they're very much capped, meaning fleets will be able to grow well beyond and make the defenses useless. It's the same problem we have now where at one point in the game a 10k fortress is tough, but later it might as well be a mining station. But, fleets are getting caps as well, so we'll see how it all plays out.

I imagine that you would need to station fleets with your static defenses to keep them viable, much like actually manning a fort. I don't remember ever seeing any sci fi space battles between a fleet and only static defenses.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I bought this game on sale back in June and only got around to installing it last night. I played a shitload of CKII so I thought that would prepare me, but holy poo poo that tutorial had me lost almost immediately. Build a building? OK! Put a pop in it. How? No idea. Send your science ship to another system. OK! It got attacked as soon as it arrived. What now? No idea.

Is there a genuine tutorial somewhere? The game looks really cool but unlike CKII I feel like I can't even just jump in and flail around because I understand literally none of the basics.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It'd be neat if there was a command structure where the highest level admiral in a system determined how many separate fleets could operate in it before the penalties kick in.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

That's the whole point. There is no micro in Stellaris. Clicking a few times is not micro!

The updated combat system adds a few extra clicks for a massive improvement in gameplay. That's an extremely fair trade off.

e: I'm dumb, we're actually agreeing

Lol, good poo poo

I mean, if anything it'll be less intensive for the player because the AI will have to actually move its ships through systems, making the whack a mole fleet chasing gameplay we have now more bearable.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Dick Trauma posted:

Build a building? OK! Put a pop in it. How? No idea.

Click and drag an existing pop. Or wait for a new one to grow. Or build one if you're robots, but then you wouldn't have a tutorial at all, I guess.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

I bought this game on sale back in June and only got around to installing it last night. I played a shitload of CKII so I thought that would prepare me, but holy poo poo that tutorial had me lost almost immediately. Build a building? OK! Put a pop in it. How? No idea. Send your science ship to another system. OK! It got attacked as soon as it arrived. What now? No idea.

Is there a genuine tutorial somewhere? The game looks really cool but unlike CKII I feel like I can't even just jump in and flail around because I understand literally none of the basics.

Nah just roll with it.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Splicer posted:

SotS's method worked well, in that even if your opponent had a higher fleet cap you could still wear them down with pure numbers, it just took a LOT of numbers (and you could do things like target the command ship in combat). The SotS stuff obviously doesn't translate directly, but it shows it's doable. That said, I'm hoping there's a few routes to higher fleet cap. Tech & unity, admiral level/traits, adding 1% of your total ship cap etc.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I like this system because it would 100% be an issue in a giant fleet battle, like a way to simulate your commanders loving up occasionally. It would definitely make fleets factor better into roleplaying. I make my fleets based on my empire fluff i.e. Terrans love lots of little fleets and missiles and strikecraft but the religious best friends forever spiders love 1 massive fleet with energy, etc.

I also like the change, I just hope it’s not too reliant on tech. Having a war civ be able to overcome a smaller tech focused civ should he possible, just not guaranteed.

Also thinking about it, it seems to give another point in the defenders favor, since they could have a fleet next to a star base and make it hard to crack with numbers since you would get the penalty. Unless you could have a fleet attack a star base and another fleet engage with the enemy fleet. That would be really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

turn off the TV posted:

It'd be neat if there was a command structure where the highest level admiral in a system determined how many separate fleets could operate in it before the penalties kick in.
I'd assume it's a case where you can shove as many ships into a fleet as you like, but they'll be less and less useful somehow so that a 20/10 fleet is only effectively 2 or 3 ships better than a 10/10 fleet. Then if you shove two 10/10 fleets into a battle they're treated exactly like a 20/10 fleet would be. Meanwhile a 10/10 fleet chilling at the edge of the system has no impact because it's not actually doing anything to impact the fight, but if you shoved it into the above battle you're now fielding a 30/10 fleet.

I'll be very surprised if that's not a how things will work on a high level, how it's actually going to be implemented though I'm very excited to hear about.

• Locked thread