Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Federal Judge rules Trump must let transgenders serve posted by freeper SoFloFreeper

The freep post is from a linkless headline AP tweet, so here's a random article with more context

the article posted:

U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly ruled that the transgender service members who had sued over Trump's policy were likely to win their lawsuit. She directed a return to the situation that existed before Trump announced his new policy this summer, saying the administration had provided no solid evidence for why a ban should be implemented.
[...]
One issue not directly addressed in Monday's ruling was whether federal funds should be used to pay for sexual reassignment surgeries for members of the military. The administration has sought to prohibit such payments; Kollar-Kotelly said she didn't have jurisdiction to rule on the issue because none of the plaintiffs in the case established a likelihood of being impacted by that prohibition.
[...]
The Justice Department, in seeking the lawsuit's dismissal, said none of the plaintiffs had established that they will be impacted by current policies on military service.

The two advocacy groups who filed the lawsuit assailed that assertion. They highlighted the uncertainty facing Regan Kibby, the transgender Naval Academy student who — because of Trump's action — was unsure whether he would be able to join the Navy on graduation.

Kollar-Kotelly said the plaintiffs clearly established that they would be harmed by the administration's directives. She also contended that the plaintiffs were likely to prevail in arguing that the directives were unconstitutionally discriminatory — targeting transgender people without evidence that their service caused substantive problems for the military.

The directives "do not appear to be supported by any facts," the judge wrote.

quote:

To: SoFloFreeper

When the civil war starts, liberal judges are going to be unhappy

2 posted on 10/30/2017, 10:02:05 AM by Mr. K (NO CONSEQUENCE OF REPEALING OBAMACARE IS WORSE THAN OBAMACARE ITSELF)

I'm so used to "thug" being a codeword. Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly is hella white, for the record. Though she was appointed by Clinton.

quote:

courts are not in charge of the armed forces. This thug in a robe ruling should be ignored.

3 posted on 10/30/2017, 10:02:06 AM by SoFloFreeper

*her

quote:

Another leftist judge making up law out of nothing but his preferences.

4 posted on 10/30/2017, 10:02:11 AM by marktwain (President Trump and his supporters are the Resistance. His opponents are the Reactionaries.)

I loving hate freep.

quote:

A temporary victory for the cross dressers.

10 posted on 10/30/2017, 10:06:10 AM by Uncle Sam 911

quote:

To: Mr. K

History shows us that liberal judges do very well, and authorize the murders of tens of thousands, until the war is lost. Then the arrogance disappears, the tears start, along with cries of, “ Not my fault! I was just following the law!”, as they are led to the gallows.

17 posted on 10/30/2017, 10:13:28 AM by tcrlaf (They told me it could never happen in America. And then it did....)

quote:

Courts are not in charge of the armed forces

or immigration policy, social policy, bakeries, religious worship, shape of congressional districts . . . but they are, and that's just fine with congress.

37 posted on 10/30/2017, 10:36:17 AM by Jacquerie (ArticleVBlog.com)

For all their cirlejerking about the constitution they really don't seem to understand the check and balance system.

quote:

Every activist judge who makes a ruling outside the scope of his legitimate powers should be impeached and removed from office.

Each nonsense ruling must be appealed, to the Supreme Court if necessary. We cannot have the precedent that lower judges override the President of the United States on military and national security decisions.

39 posted on 10/30/2017, 10:41:29 AM by Pollster1 ("Governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed")

quote:

To: sdthree

When Obama changed the rule in 2016 to let transgenders serve, that was ok, but when Trump changed the rule back to pre-2016, that’s not ok?How does the judge explain that one?

The trannys in our military are in it for the ops and I don't mean special ops. They are angling to have the taxpayers paying for their sex changes trans operations and hormones. What a stinking farce! Not all trans have the guts to get their penis chopped but how would you like to serve in the military with a freak who is getting free hormones to make him grow female breasts. Revolting!

52 posted on 10/30/2017, 10:51:48 AM by dennisw (Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it is enemy action.)

quote:

"When the civil war starts, liberal judges are going to be unhappy"

That's why, after populating and taking over all three branches of government, lawyers are trying to control our military forces in spite of the President being the Commander-in-Chief.

Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly is claiming that the ban violated the freaks' due process right. Looks like our Defense is now subject to civilian law. The problem started with women being allowed to become officers in commands outside of women's units. Academic feminists and their sodomite pets were sure to zero in on that.

53 posted on 10/30/2017, 10:51:55 AM by familyop ("Welcome to Costco. I love you." --Costco greeter in the movie, "Idiocracy")

This 2005 regdate freeper is making me eye the FBI tip line.

quote:

I’ve been convinced for a while now that they are going to be ones that start it. One day, Trump is just going to say, “No.”

And, then he’ll be impeached, but that’s beside the point. They’re pushing so hard, and it’s going to result in the Executive Branch finally saying to piss off.

Then, with those doors open, the libs will seize the opportunity to ignore all court rulings against THEM, make a huge attempt at a power grab, which will probably entail going for everyone’s guns first like proper fascists and communists, and then it will be on.

They’re going to lead to the erasure of any semblance of law and order in this country, but then they’re going to find out who actually owns all the guns. We’re getting really close to the point where to avoid a full-on violent civil war, it would be highly preferable to functionally erase (even just a few of) these little pretend dictators through almost whatever means necessary. To avoid untold numbers of casualties when it becomes too late.

67 posted on 10/30/2017, 12:17:26 PM by According2RecentPollsAirIsGood

And yet you keep making huge deals out of treating them like people, you dipshits.

quote:

To: Kickass Conservative

I don’t believe there are enough transgender recruits to fill a platoon. We’re talking about a minority that barely exists.

79 posted on 10/30/2017, 2:34:08 PM by Berosus (I wish I had as much faith in God as liberals have in government.)

quote:

Can you imagine a judge ruling Obama was wrong when he ruled they can serve? And Obama sitting back and saying Okie doke I’ll forget about then. This is insanity. The Commander in Chief can do what in the hell he feels like doing when it comes to who can serve and who can’t serve in the Armed Forces of the United States. Trump should ignore the nothing ruling and tell Mattis to get off his rear end and enforce the ruling.

86 posted on 10/30/2017, 4:15:06 PM by NKP_Vet ("Man without God descends into madness")

quote:

To: Pollster1

The only logical action is to terminate all the lower courts and just have a Supreme Court. The BS will walk, the legal “cream” will rise”, and the turnover of Justices will vary. Expand the court to geographical jurisdictions (Which of course will swell the numbers) while keeping an even number of Justices to render an opinion. All of this is under the power of Congress and will not need a Constitutional amendment. The Judicial Branch needs to be watered down just like the rest of the Branches. No more easy mode of long vacation times and bullcrap opiions.

87 posted on 10/30/2017, 4:15:27 PM by rollo tomasi (Working hard to pay for deadbeats and corrupt politicians.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Are we winning yet?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Keeshhound posted:

Are we winning yet?

So much winning.

Anyone else think Popadopolas emails and in return the emails from campaign officials/possibly cabinet members at the time, while he was working with the feds brings down some more people?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Plinkey posted:

So much winning.

Anyone else think Popadopolas emails and in return the emails from campaign officials/possibly cabinet members at the time, while he was working with the feds brings down some more people?
Some people are parsing the language used in the filing against Popa as an indication that he wore a wire to some meetings with other Trumpist persons of interest, which would be just the best thing.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Good crop of tears.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I read a bit about that today, just got home and ate dinner so trying to catch up on all of it. I think emails would be just as damning especially coming from some sweet sweet private email accounts.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Keeshhound posted:

Are we winning yet?

Trump’s Name Doesn’t Appear Once In Manafort Indictment posted by freeper SeekAndFind

So the problem with being immune to things like outside objective facts is that you can end up literally not knowing what you're talking about.

quote:

To: SeekAndFind

Mueller investigates Trump/Russia 2016 and can charge people with crimes 10 plus years ago , overstepping no ,Mueller jumped over the cliff

15 posted on 10/30/2017, 10:35:58 AM by butlerweave

quote:

Reportedly, the problem is about Manafort’s dealing with Ukraine, a country whose government is, ironically, at odds with Russia.

16 posted on 10/30/2017, 10:36:16 AM by Architect of Avalon

quote:

To: tennmountainman

And even if there was, as long as Trump didn’t conspire with Russia to commit illegal acts, there is no crime.

Look at Obama’s Campaign European Tour and all the pro-Obama comments that came from European leaders. That was open collusion.

The overseas donations to Obama websites was more covert collusion.

17 posted on 10/30/2017, 10:36:44 AM by DannyTN

For the record, the lobbying firm was operated by his brother Tony.

quote:

If Mueller is a good attorney this may be an attempt to get into John Podesta’s lobbying firm. Podesta just resigned from it today and Manafort worked with him at the time on this project which the firm did not report.

28 posted on 10/30/2017, 10:49:38 AM by buffaloguy (Bond arms Cowbot)

"Playing by the rules isn't fair! Let's change the rules!"

quote:

To: butlerweave

1. Special prosecutor appointment law must be changed to mandate a very narrow probe of a very specific area and in keeping with it’s basic intent to avoid the suspicion of not being able to be handled by the normal DOJ process; but that is all; nothing open ended.
2. But as the process proceeds, should it uncover suspicion of unrelated matters, the special prosecutor should be mandated to announce it is “releasing” a matter for possible separate criminal probe by DOJ. (which it seems is exactly how the matters about Manafort should have been handled).

HOWEVER this “special prosecutor” seems in every way NOT to be at arms length from the DOJ but is in fact acting as a mere extension of the remnants of the Obama DOJ and it’s friends. Nothing at all could be said to be politically neutral about the process Mueller is conducting.

29 posted on 10/30/2017, 10:51:05 AM by Wuli

quote:

To: Architect of Avalon

Manafort was working for the pro-Russian Ukrainian at the time. Soros was on the other side....big time. Soros owns Ukraine.

30 posted on 10/30/2017, 10:53:41 AM by Sacajaweau

quote:

To: traderrob6

They are going after the Podestas, not Trump. The indictment has nothing to do with Trump/ Manafort, it’s all about Podesta/ Clinton.

36 posted on 10/30/2017, 11:09:05 AM by Lakeshark (Trump. He stands for the great issues of the day. Stay the course!)

Freeper LS has been dropping some hints that he knows things, but not everyone's going along with him.

quote:

To: Wuli; LS

HOWEVER this “special prosecutor” seems in every way NOT to be at arms length from the DOJ but is in fact acting as a mere extension of the remnants of the Obama DOJ and it’s friends. Nothing at all could be said to be politically neutral about the process Mueller is conducting.

Sheesh..I guess you havent been paying attention. Every single feeper here (but me) knows this is all can act and Mueller is play acting with trump. WH players NOT UNDER INVESTIGATION..its all about nailing Dems.

So sayeth LS.

38 posted on 10/30/2017, 11:12:15 AM by RummyChick

quote:

Manafort was under investigation originally in 2012...all Mueller did was pick up on that investigation...you guys are adding all this “intrigue” about so called collusion..the word collusion doesnt appear one time in the indictments today..neither does Trumps name. The reason is...theres no such crime as “COLLUSION”...collusion applies to anti-trust lawsuits. This is all done to hurt Trump politically...

48 posted on 10/30/2017, 11:56:32 AM by basalt

quote:

I’ve read through the indictment. It all takes place before 2016 and is about money laundering while Manafort worked for the Podesta group. The dems and media better handle this announcement with kid gloves. It’s going to blow up in their faces.

53 posted on 10/30/2017, 12:23:55 PM by Personal Responsibility (We need a separation of press and state!)

quote:

To: Logical me

The MSM and communists Democrats already made the connection. And millions and millions will believe it. President Trump is in real trouble and doesn't get it.

Absolute reeking bullsh-t. Put the crack pipe down.

They have absolutely nothing on the President because he did absolutely nothing wrong.

You are the one who doesn't get it...

59 posted on 10/30/2017, 2:43:57 PM by sargon ("If we were in the midst of a zombie apocalypse, the Left would protest for zombies' rights.")

The delusion is strong with this one.

quote:

To: RummyChick; LS

You seem almost disappointed that this indictment doesn't implicate President Trump in any way, shape, or form.

LS's instincts on this issue seem to have been spot on. As far as I can see, his take on this has been totally vindicated.

The Democrats and Media have got nothing on the President as far as the phony Russia collusion silliness, and now Mueller's investigation is beginning to focus on people who have no relation to the President whatsoever.

Did you see Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer today? Their sense of disappointment is palpable.

LS is right. Mueller might has well have issued a statement saying "The President has been totally exonerated as far as any collusion with Russia"...

60 posted on 10/30/2017, 2:49:22 PM by sargon ("If we were in the midst of a zombie apocalypse, the Left would protest for zombies' rights.")

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
They really should be more worried about all the seemingly chippy poo poo they're currently laying down because somehow I suspect these indictments are going to unfold into some RICO poo poo where everyone gets Manafort's poo poo on them because they were in an ongoing criminal conspiracy with him.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Feinne posted:

They really should be more worried about all the seemingly chippy poo poo they're currently laying down because somehow I suspect these indictments are going to unfold into some RICO poo poo where everyone gets Manafort's poo poo on them because they were in an ongoing criminal conspiracy with him.

There are three main groups of thought right now.

a) Those that believe today showed everything Mueller has and therefore Trump did nothing wrong. FAKE NEWS.
b) Those that believe Mueller has been compromised because of the whole uranium thing so everything he is doing is politically motivated and therefore FAKE NEWS.
c) Those that believe Mueller has not been compromised and will be investigating the Clintons.

While there's sometimes a bit of overlap here (b+c="he's only investigating Podesta to clear him"), these are the factions as they stood this afternoon. You'll note I didn't add a faction for those that seem to read and understand and take federal charges seriously. That's because I saw no posts of that kind at all today. If there are freepers that understand that this is just the tip of the investigation iceberg, they didn't post in the threads I saw.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

McGlockenshire posted:

That's because I saw no posts of that kind at all today. If there are freepers that understand that this is just the tip of the investigation iceberg, they didn't post in the threads I saw.

I didn't see it at all but that was probably a great way to get banned today.

There was also a small contingent that came out from an article or two late that think that the Trump team gave the investigation all of the dirt they needed to sink Manafort and (or at least) Papadopoulos today, so Trump and team are in the clear now, because of course after the trump team gave up Papadopoulos they would trust him in meetings/calls/emails for months :tinfoil:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

McGlockenshire posted:

Some twitter types started running with the whole November 4th antifa thing. Krang T Nelson made a post about antifa supersoldiers and the right wing nuts that don't get twitter humor lost their poo poo:

He was banned for this, so of course, twitter does what twitter does and everyone reposted it and remixed it and whatnot. And then Gateway Pundit noticed.

Goddamn, someone call those Nigerian Prince scammers, the field is ripe

quote:

Thanks for that. Amazing and coming true. Makes the most sense.
Trump was planning on sparing all corrupt former Presidents to save the dignity of the office. That is the sign of a good man. NO ONE SHOULD GET TO THE PRESIDENCY IF CORRUPT (only the omnipresent media gets such a dastardly deed accomplished). But once they do, our current Pres wants them spared.
And he decided to place Hillary, possibly because she was a First Lady, into that same Protected category. But she could not shut up. She kept going after him, instead of knitting for her grand babies. She ASKED FOR IT, so she is going down.
Please let it be.

42 posted on 10/30/2017 11:54:20 AM PDT by Yaelle

Jesus Christ, this one needs some help. Holy gently caress I've seen dumb poo poo but this.....

BTW, when did Hillary say anything after she lost to attack Trump? All this has been the right wing nutters trying to deflect

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 31, 2017

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

quote:

I read it all the time on FR so it’s gotta be true.

Truly higher minds at work. Pack it up, Obamatards, it's all over.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Jesus Christ, a look into the world these guys want is terrifying. Can you imagine if what they want to happen actually happened, and Trump successfully declared himself above all law up to and including the FBI?

Why are they so desperate to make the worst human alive into their despot?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Gort posted:

He has an R next to his name and doesnt chastize them when they say something racist.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Anyone who thinks the American nazi collaborators in Wolfenstein 2 are unrealistic has never read Freep.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

SocketWrench posted:

BTW, when did Hillary say anything after she lost to attack Trump? All this has been the right wing nutters trying to deflect

Immediately after? No, she just tried to do the traditional "we should support the new president beause that's how democracy works" concession speech and then lay low for a while.

More recently she's needled him from time to time with tweets reminding people that he lost the popular vote because it turns out you don't actually need opposition research to know what gets under Donnie's skin.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Freeper SandRat posted:

To: Enlightened1

AND JEED EACH ANIJA ONE AH A TIME, INTO a WOOD CHIPPER each ANTIFA ALIVE, FEET FIRST over a Shank Tank.

63 posted on 10/30/2017, 2:36:05 PM by SandRat (Duty, Honor, Country)

This is killing me. It's like a real life King of the Hill character yelling at clouds. A violent racist mix of grandpa Simpson and Bill Dauterive.

Shank Tank.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Gort posted:

Jesus Christ, a look into the world these guys want is terrifying. Can you imagine if what they want to happen actually happened, and Trump successfully declared himself above all law up to and including the FBI?

What they fantasize is terrifying, but I'd love to live in the world they think is real, where the left actually had such power that trying to gently caress with leftist issues like gay marriage and abortion rights and higher taxes on the rich was a suicidal maneuver. Can you imagine that? If someone even talked about keeping the browns from voting, they'd just disappear. If someone tried to plan a protest where they stand outside of an abortion clinic and shoved pictures of dead fetuses at people suddenly the bank forecloses on their house and they lose their job. Oh man. Gun control could actually become a thing.

God I can't read Freep because their version of America as-is is way too good for me.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Gort posted:

They're brownshirts desperately waiting for someone to give them their jackboots. Trump obliged.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

When Obama changed the rule in 2016 to let transgenders serve, that was ok, but when Trump changed the rule back to pre-2016, that’s not ok?How does the judge explain that one?

The trannys in our military are in it for the ops and I don't mean special ops. They are angling to have the taxpayers paying for their sex changes trans operations and hormones. What a stinking farce! Not all trans have the guts to get their penis chopped but how would you like to serve in the military with a freak who is getting free hormones to make him grow female breasts. Revolting!

52 posted on 10/30/2017, 10:51:48 AM by dennisw (Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it is enemy action.)

Just a quick peek into how the world works according to Freep: a cowardly person shows up wanting to change their gender and the army just throws their hands up in defeat and weeps. "Mwahahaha," chortles the person, "you have to let me in and give me everything for free in exchange for nothing but military service!! Bwahahahahaaa!"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Duke Igthorn posted:

Just a quick peek into how the world works according to Freep: a cowardly person shows up wanting to change their gender and the army just throws their hands up in defeat and weeps. "Mwahahaha," chortles the person, "you have to let me in and give me everything for free in exchange for nothing but military service!! Bwahahahahaaa!"

Look if youre not doing this for the honor to serve your country youre being selfish.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

Look if youre not doing this for the honor to serve your country youre being selfish.

Listen, compensation for serving your country? What are you, some kind of leftturd?

By the way, fast food workers are getting paid more than are troops (who are paid .01 dollars per hour and are 24/7 on the job and their work is nonstop killing of the browns) and that's a CRIME. Raise are troops's salary :freep:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lol freep doesn't want to pay the troops more, they want to pay the people bringing their food less.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Neo_Crimson posted:

They're brownshirts desperately waiting for someone to give them their jackboots. Trump obliged.

This pretty much. Racism is still huge in America. Obama won the first time because he was Charismatic while McCain wasnt and that ship was sunk when Palin jumped in. The second time was because Romney had the personality of a brick. These guys fumed for eight years of ni....urban feral rule and then along comes racist motherfucker Trump who wasn't afraid to call a spade a ni...urban feral. That drug the racists out in droves because he gave them the green light to be the shittiest people they wanted to be

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Not from Freep, but disturbingly similar :stare:

Q: who said this about President Obama?

quote:

"The fact that he is a socialist, does not believe in Natural Law or Natural Rights, is incensed at the mere existence of the Constitution and cannot accept the exceptionality of this nation, probably has nothing to do with why so many people disagree with him and his value system," Clovis wrote.

A: Sam Clovis, who recently withdrew name from consideration to be the chief scientist of the USDA (despite holding no credentials)

Speaking of which, we haven't seen a SavageSusie post in a while.

https://tinyurl.com/yahcazjh

e: her last post on the forums, dated 17 June 2017:

quote:

To: FredZarguna
These nursing “homes” are a Marxist construct to separate the old from the young and keep children from learning about traditions, history and being human. (It is the dehumanization of America—to get to transhumanism of J. Huxley). Total dehumanization so the useless eaters can be killed and children will never grow up and become mature and responsible people. All Natural Duties are eliminated completely with the destruction of the Natural family and sending off the old to “homes”.

It is an evil unnatural “system” for eugenics; the opposite of Natural Law (the philosophy of our Constitution and in our “Justice” (virtue) system. It always was a system where the pseudoscience of “psychiatry” taken over by Marxists by the 70s to flip Good and Evil and make killing babies, old people and sodomy into “virtues”. They have almost completely normalized all of it.....which was their plan in 1910. They not only drug old people, they have been allowed to drug millions of boys to emasculate and control them and destroy virtue formation.

101 posted on 06/17/2017 2:03:44 PM PDT by savagesusie (When Law ceases to be Just, it ceases to be Law. (Thomas A./Founders/John Marshall)/Nuremberg)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 97 | View Replies ]

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 2, 2017

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

SocketWrench posted:

This pretty much. Racism is still huge in America. Obama won the first time because he was Charismatic while McCain wasnt and that ship was sunk when Palin jumped in. The second time was because Romney had the personality of a brick. These guys fumed for eight years of ni....urban feral rule and then along comes racist motherfucker Trump who wasn't afraid to call a spade a ni...urban feral. That drug the racists out in droves because he gave them the green light to be the shittiest people they wanted to be

Remember that Trump won by less votes than Romney lost by in 2012. Trump won by a combination of voter apathy, and active suppression. It's true that Trump energized racists, hence the "giving them their jackboots thing", but they would have all fallen in line with any Republican anyway.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Neo_Crimson posted:

Remember that Trump won by less votes than Romney lost by in 2012. Trump won by a combination of voter apathy, and active suppression. It's true that Trump energized racists, hence the "giving them their jackboots thing", but they would have all fallen in line with any Republican anyway.

Yeah it's important to remember that he won mostly because the Democrats shot themselves in the foot

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah it's important to remember that he won mostly because the Democrats shot themselves in the foot

Give his campaign some credit as well for seeing the numbers in the rust belt and actively campaigning there while Hillary's effectively ignored it.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Also, I think by November 2008, almost any Dem, even Hillary, would have won against McCain/Palin. Early on, Obama's charisma opened the early lead, but by election day the economy had been in full-on meltdown for a while, it would have been near impossible for any GOP candidate to win against that.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MANime in the sheets posted:

Give his campaign some credit as well for seeing the numbers in the rust belt and actively campaigning there while Hillary's effectively ignored it.

It's almost like even a campaign that was filled with grifters and Ruskies was still smart enough to realize the Rust Belt was going to be very important, whereas the "data driven campaign" didn't even loving bother and wanted to run up the popular vote.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I still can't believe all these current Trumpers didn't go apeshit for McCain just because of Palin. She is the "intellectual" grizzly mom of their entire loving existence.

I also don't believe any of them ever voted for Obama and then Trump even though those stories keep popping up.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MANime in the sheets posted:

Also, I think by November 2008, almost any Dem, even Hillary, would have won against McCain/Palin. Early on, Obama's charisma opened the early lead, but by election day the economy had been in full-on meltdown for a while, it would have been near impossible for any GOP candidate to win against that.

Maybe, but would she have gotten the supermajority that we needed to stop the meltdown* and reform the healthcare system. The Republicans might have filibustered everything so they could blame Great Depression 2 on her, they only failed with Obama in 2009 because of narrow-rear end margins of victory by Dem Senate candidates and we know Hillary's MO was to starve the downballot in order to spend more on her campaign and also she doesn't understand how elections work and makes sure not to hire anyone who does.

*Not that Obama's handling of it wasn't atrocious, no-strings-attached money to criminals and fraudsters or that he couldn't have handled it better.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Keyser_Soze posted:

I still can't believe all these current Trumpers didn't go apeshit for McCain just because of Palin. She is the "intellectual" grizzly mom of their entire loving existence.

I also don't believe any of them ever voted for Obama and then Trump even though those stories keep popping up.

That sort of thing (I used to be X, but this was a step too far) is really common, because it makes the speaker sound a little bit reasonable. We're seeing it a lot in Australia, with people saying "I was going to vote yes, but you big meanies have driven me to vote no"

Radish posted:

Anyone who thinks the American nazi collaborators in Wolfenstein 2 are unrealistic has never read Freep.

There were people in the US who did business with them, visited them and campaigned against US involvement right up until Pearl Harbor. Charles Lindbergh was one.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

WampaLord posted:

It's almost like even a campaign that was filled with grifters and Ruskies was still smart enough to realize the Rust Belt was going to be very important, whereas the "data driven campaign" didn't even loving bother and wanted to run up the popular vote.

I honestly don't feel like the Dems could have taken the Rust Belt from Trump this time. I mean, what are the Dems supposed to tell the Rust Belt people? They don't want better worker protections, a better social safety net, universal healthcare, or anything else that could help with their problems. They just want the clock to magically turn back to 1955 when there were lots of good jobs available straight out of high school, when their small towns/cities weren't decrepit Fallout set pieces, and when the USA was still reveling in the boom economy that resulted from being the only major industrial power that WW2 didn't bomb down to rubble.

They don't want to hear that their small towns are unsalvageable because they are no longer needed for manufacturing/transport hub/resource reasons and so there is no reason for jobs to move back there and deal with their older and often under-educated workforce. They don't want to hear that there's no reason for those places to exist anymore, that outsourcing and automation have made them obsolete. They want answers for a problem that doesn't have answers.

That's not a problem for Trump, of course, because he's not in the business of giving answers. He just told them what they wanted to hear. Jobs are coming back, he's going to stop factories from leaving, he'll stop the Mexicans from taking their jobs, he'll stop giving the 'urban poor' so much welfare so he can cut their taxes, etc, etc, etc. Sure, that's not true, but so what? Lots of the voters there either don't understand that there is no solution to their problem, or they understand but don't want to believe.

A lot of the Trump voters I know are like that. They're a bunch of straight white folks who said things like 'He's probably not going to be able to fix things, but it's worth a shot, right? Nobody else has any answers, and what's the worst that could happen? It's not like politicians ever change anything". When they want to believe the snake oil pitch that badly, it's pretty much impossible to talk them out of it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Khizan posted:

I honestly don't feel like the Dems could have taken the Rust Belt from Trump this time. I mean, what are the Dems supposed to tell the Rust Belt people? They don't want better worker protections, a better social safety net, universal healthcare, or anything else that could help with their problems. They just want the clock to magically turn back to 1955 when there were lots of good jobs available straight out of high school, when their small towns/cities weren't decrepit Fallout set pieces, and when the USA was still reveling in the boom economy that resulted from being the only major industrial power that WW2 didn't bomb down to rubble.

Well, you'll never loving win with this attitude.

Also, I think more than a significant chunk of them actually do want things like worker protections and healthcare, it's just about how you sell it to them. Telling them that you're only going to make marginal improvements to the status quo doesn't drive turnout, shockingly.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Bowe Bergdahl received no jail sentence today at his sentencing. The tears should be glorious today :getin:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Khizan posted:

They don't want to hear that their small towns are unsalvageable because they are no longer needed for manufacturing/transport hub/resource reasons and so there is no reason for jobs to move back there and deal with their older and often under-educated workforce. They don't want to hear that there's no reason for those places to exist anymore, that outsourcing and automation have made them obsolete. They want answers for a problem that doesn't have answers.

That's not a problem for Trump, of course, because he's not in the business of giving answers. He just told them what they wanted to hear. Jobs are coming back, he's going to stop factories from leaving, he'll stop the Mexicans from taking their jobs, he'll stop giving the 'urban poor' so much welfare so he can cut their taxes, etc, etc, etc. Sure, that's not true, but so what? Lots of the voters there either don't understand that there is no solution to their problem, or they understand but don't want to believe.

A lot of the Trump voters I know are like that. They're a bunch of straight white folks who said things like 'He's probably not going to be able to fix things, but it's worth a shot, right? Nobody else has any answers, and what's the worst that could happen? It's not like politicians ever change anything". When they want to believe the snake oil pitch that badly, it's pretty much impossible to talk them out of it.

Literally none of this is true other than the last paragraph. If someone on the left had said hey yeah your poo poo sucks and that's terrivle but here's some solutions that aren't just tax credits they would have easily been swayed

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

From the Bergdahl thread on their front page right now:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Bergdahl gets no prison time from judge (Fox Breaking)

quote:

It's a betrayal of our Warriors!

1 posted on 11/03/2017 8:45:10 AM PDT by xzins
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

Hi A-Holy poo poo! Calm down, lady! :stare:

quote:

To: xzins

DISGUSTING!!!!! That Judge needs to be DISBARRED!!! I HATE AMERICA ANYMORE!

4 posted on 11/03/2017 8:46:31 AM PDT by Ann Archy (Abortion....... The HUMAN Sacrifice to the god of Convenience.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

What’s the CROOKED JUDGE’sNAME????

9 posted on 11/03/2017 8:47:54 AM PDT by Ann Archy (Abortion....... The HUMAN Sacrifice to the god of Convenience.)

quote:

To: Ann Archy

Get a simple dishonorable discharge. I don’t hate America but I do despise idiot judges

6 posted on 11/03/2017 8:47:18 AM PDT by xzins (Retired US Army chaplain. Support our troops by praying for their victory. L)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Ah, yes, back to the good old days when America would routinely conduct mass executions of public officials.

quote:

Back in the days when our country was sane and just, he’d have been executed.

And so would have a whole bunch of modern-era gov’t officials.

15 posted on 11/03/2017 8:49:46 AM PDT by Mr. Mojo

quote:

To: dragnet2

Something is terribly wrong.

There is zero doubt he commited the crime

23 posted on 11/03/2017 8:52:34 AM PDT by xzins (Retired US Army chaplain. Support our troops by praying for their victory. L)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

quote:

You can bet that the Left is rejoicing.

Any enemy of America is a friend of theirs.

28 posted on 11/03/2017 8:55:27 AM PDT by fwdude (Why is it that the only positive things to come out of LGBT organizations are their AIDS tests?)

I like how his only objection to this flagrant abuse of power is that someday a Democrat might be able to use it.

quote:

Is there double jeopardy with military courts and US criminal courts?

Can the President over rule this decision?

Maybe the judge needs to be court marshaled..

32 posted on 11/03/2017 8:57:32 AM PDT by BarbM (BarbMn President Trump tells the TRUTH loud and clear.)

quote:

To: BarbM

No way and thank goodness for that. This case we might like that idea but good grief can you imagine a day when a Democratic President has that ability. No thank you.

98 posted on 11/03/2017 9:45:49 AM PDT by napscoordinator (Trump/Hunter, jr for President/Vice President 2016)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

quote:

Traitor to the United states Bradley the freak Manning gets pardoned, Bowe Bergdahl a DEFECTOR to the enemy gets no jail time. And we wonder why our politicians commit treason as well.

35 posted on 11/03/2017 8:58:16 AM PDT by GrandJediMasterYoda (Trump: Greatest POTUS of all time solely for preventing Satan taking office.)

Soros!

quote:

To: usflagwaver

He’s a progressive celebrity now. He’ll get a job with a Soros linked organization. Win-win for the left.

37 posted on 11/03/2017 8:58:45 AM PDT by JimSEA
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

:smugdon: Oopsies!

quote:

Very disappointing but not especially surprising. The judge had made it clear that he would take Trump’s public statements labeling Bergdahl a traitor and calling for execution etc. into account. The President really needs to grasp that as CnC his words matter. Command influence is the mortal enemy of the military justice system. If the judge had thrown the book at Bergdahl it would almost certainly have been overturned on appeal given Trump’s statements that could reasonably be viewed as interfering in a legal case over which he had great power. Trump seriously needs to restrain himself in these kinds of situations. I know what I’m writing won’t be popular here, but sometimes Trump just needs to be quiet about certain things.

40 posted on 11/03/2017 8:59:30 AM PDT by NRx (A man of integrity passes his father's civilization to his son, without selling it off to strangers.)

There's also sort of a running theme of Freepers being somewhat unclear about the differences between Military and Civilian Courts.

quote:

O’Bambi Judge????

43 posted on 11/03/2017 9:00:13 AM PDT by rxtn41

quote:

To: headstamp 2

What makes me sick is he will be put at podiums by the left and paid enormous money to criticize the US and praise islam. Such a corrupt judge, I don’t know what to say.

44 posted on 11/03/2017 9:00:29 AM PDT by Duke of Milan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

quote:

The leftist march through the military includes a huge amount of the Jags in particular. Caught up in Lefty lawyerdom, and the military paid a lot of their leftist legal eddycation.

This is such a travesty, simply shameful.

47 posted on 11/03/2017 9:02:03 AM PDT by Lakeshark (Trump. He stands for the great issues of the day. Stay the course!)

:females:

quote:

Female Lawyer/Judge with no GUTS at all...this BirdDog should be shot....THE US ARMY GOES PUSSY....Dame I sure hope no one takes revenge on his worthless rear end.....parents are scum too.

66 posted on 11/03/2017 9:15:10 AM PDT by mastertex
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

Oh yeah, that's the stuff!

quote:

justice is dead

68 posted on 11/03/2017 9:16:37 AM PDT by WorkerbeeCitizen

quote:

God in black dress has a hope in protectinf Obama’s legacy.

Can’t have history tecording that POTUS knowingly traded a defector for terrorists captured in the field of battle.

Impeach this worthless judge.

84 posted on 11/03/2017 9:31:40 AM PDT by a fool in paradise (Did Barack Obama denounce Communism and dictatorships when he visited Cuba as a puppet of the State?)

Freepers:

quote:

Treason is the new black

90 posted on 11/03/2017 9:35:59 AM PDT by combat_boots (God bless Israel and all who protect and defend her! Merry Christmas! In God We Trust!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 87 | View Replies]

Ahahaha!

quote:

To: Fury

What specific Trump comment bothers you so much?

Obviously the kenyan made many “ill adivsed” comments that he never was called on by his own admin. Not even one time.

There is no moral equivalent here. The kenyan regularly abused his office. Trump certainly has not in this case.

94 posted on 11/03/2017 9:40:00 AM PDT by lodi90
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 92 | View Replies]
Keep in mind that I cut out most of the outright threats and calls for violence on Bergdahl/the Judge in this thread.

Jagged Jim fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Traitor to the United states Bradley the freak Manning gets pardoned, Bowe Bergdahl a DEFECTOR to the enemy gets no jail time. And we wonder why our politicians commit treason as well.

35 posted on 11/03/2017 8:58:16 AM PDT by GrandJediMasterYoda (Trump: Greatest POTUS of all time solely for preventing Satan taking office.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies

Chelsea Manning wasn't pardoned. Her sentence was commuted. Bergdahl got a Dishonorable Discharge, which carries with it a lot of the same disclosure rules as a Federal felony conviction. Essentially he's now a former felon as far as most employers and the Federal government are concerned.