Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I wouldn't be surprised if the GT getting BoP'd down to not winning every race has made Ford lose interest.

Also apparently Australian GT got booted off the Adelaide 500 support bill in favour of the Asian Audi R8 Cup and they are pretty pissed off about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

All of the well-placed sports car sources say that Ford is doing well and enjoying the sports car program, but aren’t planning on extending it past it’s current lifespan. (Makes sense, the GT was a skunkworks project designed to win Le Mans on the anniversary). That was at least part of the discussion last week on MWM, so essentially don’t be too shocked if Ford stay in WEC but move up a class or two eventually.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Lincoln to DPi, clearly

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Lincoln to DPi, clearly

That’d be pretty awesome, actually.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dragonspeed wants to run in P1.

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/145395-dragonspeed-joins-lmp1-ranks-for-wec-super-season

I decided to look up the dude that pays for them since they never have anything on the side of the car, and its a dude who runs "Pan Capital SE", a investment group whose only public footprint seems to be this website (lol) and an SEC filing for a $660k fine for illegal business practices... god bless sportscar racings money laundering abilities.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I love that their US headquarters appears to be in a motel.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Ford's new CEO is expected to cut costs and deliver better dividends, not endurance race wins. I was bullish on them going into prototypes at some point but not now. They might stick around via a customer GT program but I don't see them sticking around long term as a factory.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Ford's new CEO is expected to cut costs and deliver better dividends, not endurance race wins. I was bullish on them going into prototypes at some point but not now. They might stick around via a customer GT program but I don't see them sticking around long term as a factory.

Marketing budget getting shrunk?

And for as crazy as $100 million a year can sound to a mortal, it has to be stressed that so much can be a rounding error for Ford (gross $36.5 bil in Q3, net income $1.6b). They can afford it. Question is priorities for marketing and, possibly, engineering.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

harperdc posted:

Marketing budget getting shrunk?

And for as crazy as $100 million a year can sound to a mortal, it has to be stressed that so much can be a rounding error for Ford (gross $36.5 bil in Q3, net income $1.6b). They can afford it. Question is priorities for marketing and, possibly, engineering.

Ford have a chance to push the future of LMGTE - ACO prolly doesn't want to lose Ford immediately after losing Porsche and probably losing Toyota.
I don't think Ford cares. The current Ford GT was a "50 years" passion project for one of the ford spawnlings, so I think the project is gonna get nixed as soon as it becomes genuinely noncompetitive.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

orange juche posted:

Source on Ford killing off the GT program? I'm honestly curious about this one, because the GT program has done really really well from the outset. Scaled back, sure I'd believe that because running 2 distinct teams on 2 continents is a pain in the rear end, but killing it off?

I’d be surprised if it died, they extended road car production for an extra two years after all.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

drgitlin posted:

I’d be surprised if it died, they extended road car production for an extra two years after all.

They probably underestimated demand and definitely made a "rectifiable" shitstorm with their purchase program.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/mazda-joest-begin-u-s-testing-program-with-revised-dpi/

Mazda Team Joest has begun their US testing program with their revised RT24-P car. Initial driver impressions are the car feels way more confident and planted in the corners, which will definitely help the drivers put down faster times.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

orange juche posted:

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/mazda-joest-begin-u-s-testing-program-with-revised-dpi/

Mazda Team Joest has begun their US testing program with their revised RT24-P car. Initial driver impressions are the car feels way more confident and planted in the corners, which will definitely help the drivers put down faster times.

Helps not having a suspension that was straight out of Riley's indycars from 1997. The biggest gain is going to a modern suspension system if I had to guess what Joest changed.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Helps not having a suspension that was straight out of Riley's indycars from 1997. The biggest gain is going to a modern suspension system if I had to guess what Joest changed.

It's almost like modern race cars moved away from that style of suspension for a reason. I'd imagine the weight saving in the nose helped too, that front end mixup couldn't possibly been as light as a couple torsion bars.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
considering how much loving work has gone into suspensions the past 20 years i cant fathom that someone would say lol yep lets use that

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think Riley was going for a setup that was easier to deal with and adjust on by using the old separated damper/spring thing, but frankly those kind of luxuries are dead and gone.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Can someone post a comparison of the old Riley suspension and say, the Ligier or Oreca?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Riley: http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/137849-imsa-2017-prototype-tech-profile-riley-multimatic-mk-30?showall=&limitstart=1

Ligier: http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/137837-imsa-2017-prototype-tech-profile-ligier-js-p217?showall=&limitstart=1

Oreca: http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/137822-imsa-2017-prototype-tech-profiles-oreca-07?showall=&limitstart=1

Dallara: http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/137855-imsa-2017-prototype-tech-profile-cadillac-dpi-v-r?showall=&limitstart=1

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Mazda Motorsports' tweets also mention that Joel Miller is among the drivers testing the car. That's the first mention of him in affiliation with the new program, as far as I know. Wonder if they'll be retaining him as a full-time driver after all.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WEC Shanghai was earlier today

Toyota #8 gets the race win, but Porsche #2 finishes second and gets enough points to lock up the driver’s title for the #2 and world championship for makes for Porsche.

For GTs, kind of a crazy race and the Ford took it, but Ferrari have enough to win the world GT constructor’s title

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Toyota (via Lexus) is apparently looking at DPi.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

Oh poo poo son.

:getin:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Jackie Chan DC Racing also looking at running Daytona and the Patron North American endurance cup.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Human Grand Prix posted:

can't wait to see what new and interesting ways they find to lose the daytona 24

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

financially racist posted:

can't wait to see what new and interesting ways they find to lose the daytona 24

Well that's Toyota Gmbh(?) not able to win a 24 hour race. TRD (with the help of AAR and Chip Ganassi/Riley/Dinan) has won Daytona 4 times and a bit more lucky then across the ocean.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Does anyone know of a decent app or a calendar I can integrate with my phone to alert me when racing sessions for various series' are about to start?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

NtotheTC posted:

Does anyone know of a decent app or a calendar I can integrate with my phone to alert me when racing sessions for various series' are about to start?

Wunderlist? You can set reminders that will email and a push notification at certain times.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Human Grand Prix posted:

They can :fuckoff: if they don't run this livery:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

:colbert:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Yes, another livery to remind us of their mediocrity at Le Mans.

the '98 cars w/the white streaks were bad rear end

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Fauxhawk Express posted:

They can :fuckoff: if they don't run this livery:

This is a sponsor's wettest of all dreams

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Dear God something other than red, white, and black. ACO and IMSA should ban that livery for a few years. Pick something else, gently caress.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

NtotheTC posted:

I subscribe to a couple of Google Calendars with race schedules. I know there's an F1 shared calendar floating around somewhere. I'd be more specific, but I have no idea where I stumbled on it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The 80s TRD colours are better. Sorry.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Alonso has apparently had a seat fitting at Toyota

:dance:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

:bisonyes:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
DeltaWing Coupe #001 is for sale, a cool $375,000

http://www.deltawingracing.com/our-news/2017/4/11/for-sale-2013-deltawing-coupe

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
The DeltaWing was a cool and good car. Anyone that disagrees with this is a bad and wrong person.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

WindyMan posted:

The DeltaWing was a cool and good car. Anyone that disagrees with this is a bad and wrong person.

:agreed:

:rip: DW gone too soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

WindyMan posted:

It stank and looked dumb

• Locked thread