Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Koesj posted:

Search inside the main folder for the mod/asset’s name and the file at least should show up. Then right click > open location.

Might have to drag the whole mod to your local folder and get rid of the steam subscription so nothing gets overwritten after the mod’s updated again in the future. I myself have never done these things with WG’s mods, but IIRC it’s explained on their Workshop pages.

Thanks! Found it. (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

What's the best approach for making a pretty city if I want to avoid plopping as much as possible?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
One way is to smoosh grids. Whether you align main roads along riverbanks or some other terrain feature or whatever, it forces you to make "interesting" decisions where they converge.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
There's one thing I could never get right in this game and it's what I really love in builder games: squares, plazas and similar centerpieces, placed actually in the center of a neighborhood in a functional way. The way you might find in a typical European old town, but adjusted to the road-centric nature of Skylines without screwing up the road alignments. If any of that makes sense.

If you guys have pictures of cool squares and plazas that fit well into the larger context of their towns/districts, that would be awesome.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Guildencrantz posted:

There's one thing I could never get right in this game and it's what I really love in builder games: squares, plazas and similar centerpieces, placed actually in the center of a neighborhood in a functional way. The way you might find in a typical European old town, but adjusted to the road-centric nature of Skylines without screwing up the road alignments. If any of that makes sense.

If you guys have pictures of cool squares and plazas that fit well into the larger context of their towns/districts, that would be awesome.

A more residential focused park/square/transit zone

Downtown square in front of a rail station

I'll go make a fresh one just for you right now!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sometimes some public space is just a little corner with some street food and benches

Sometimes it's just some extra open space in a neighbourhood where buildings don't quite fit but people use it.

Maybe it's a quiet sort of square with a saint looking over

Or it can be a commercial square surrounded by shop and restaurants and some ped-only streets. (This is the one I quick made just now, it's not award winning but it gets the job done)

Context wise you can see it's at the end of what will be a well-used bridge, shops and commercial squares like to be in these sort of choke points.

Sometimes a square isn't paved at all, it can just be a nice grassy area. Maybe that's a park??

Squares attached to office buildings often end up feeling sterile.

Sometimes they're just glorified parking lots

Once again a mostly "green square" or as some would call a "park"

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Alright, I figured out how I can make lower areas have higher density trees.

Let the water flow, fill the map with a workshop tree you aren't planning on using on said map, then remove the water and place the trees you do want to use. Save the map, unsubscribe from the unwanted tree, then reload the map. It won't save any information regarding that workshop tree, so you're free to resubscribe afterwords.

E: Here are some shots from in the actual game with all the shader bells and whistles loaded.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 2, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I downloaded the biggest rocks I can find but they don't seem to be as big as your mega mountain rocks. Are you just plopping a million of them for hours or did I miss the mega rocks?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

I downloaded the biggest rocks I can find but they don't seem to be as big as your mega mountain rocks. Are you just plopping a million of them for hours or did I miss the mega rocks?

They're a combination of a couple thoudand of TPB's 40 meter rocks and the surface rock pack.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Just wanted to show some stuff I've been working on since during the closed beta: way narrower roads. Sorry for the lovely imgur compression and me currently lacking the dynamic resolution mod.

Obviously I've done zero lane/pavement texturing on these things. It's because the road editor is a ton of busywork. I also hate the fact that narrower roads give tons of clipping and artifacting around the terrain, so these might never see the public light of day. But hey, at least I've got working prototypes for 4m (half cell) wide freeway ramps, 8m (1 cell) wide two-laned freeways and local roads, and 16m wide (2 cell) 4-laned local arterials.

The bridge models are shallow enough to give you 4m+ height clearance with only 6/7m of vertical space between roadways, and I got the devs to add in the vanilla ped road pillars as a pillar option during the beta (thanks CO). All this means that there's more compact options abound, even with realistic slope angles, than the hilariously oversized roads that are in the current game, especially its freeways (no help from NeXT there).

Koesj fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 2, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I so so want to fill in some of the gaps in the road selection myself one day. What do you need to do to make your own road? And how do you deal with poo poo like trams and bike lanes? Although for the most part I mostly just want some aesthetic changes to some existing roads. Like take one of those network extensions 1-lane mini roads and give it a nice cobblestone texture and some prettier sidewalks, just poo poo like that.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

best way to play this game is with Sim Broadway from Sim City 3000 playing in the background

Not sure if you meant in the background as in outside of the game or not but if you did, there is a mod for that. CSL Music Mod lets you create custom radio stations, like Sim City 3000, Sim City4, etc. There are quite a few more custom radio stations on the workshop to fit different themes but these are my choice. SC4 Rush Hour had the best soundtrack. I could listen to ElectriCITY all day long. :allears:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Koesj posted:

Just wanted to show some stuff I've been working on since during the closed beta: way narrower roads. Sorry for the lovely imgur compression and me currently lacking the dynamic resolution mod.

Obviously I've done zero lane/pavement texturing on these things. It's because the road editor is a ton of busywork. I also hate the fact that narrower roads give tons of clipping and artifacting around the terrain, so these might never see the public light of day. But hey, at least I've got working prototypes for 4m (half cell) wide freeway ramps, 8m (1 cell) wide two-laned freeways and local roads, and 16m wide (2 cell) 4-laned local arterials.

The bridge models are shallow enough to give you 4m+ height clearance with only 6/7m of vertical space between roadways, and I got the devs to add in the vanilla ped road pillars as a pillar option during the beta (thanks CO). All this means that there's more compact options abound, even with realistic slope angles, than the hilariously oversized roads that are in the current game, especially its freeways (no help from NeXT there).

If you're having clipping issues would it not be possible to use the fine road anarchy option to force elevated models, even if at ground level? I use that option all the time when working with more extreme slopes in order to avoid terrain seams.

E: On that note, is it possible to just make the sides of the road go much further down than they normally do?

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 2, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Enzenx posted:

Not sure if you meant in the background as in outside of the game or not but if you did, there is a mod for that. CSL Music Mod lets you create custom radio stations, like Sim City 3000, Sim City4, etc. There are quite a few more custom radio stations on the workshop to fit different themes but these are my choice. SC4 Rush Hour had the best soundtrack. I could listen to ElectriCITY all day long. :allears:

That's my favorite drat track ever.

Playing this game with the SC4 soundtrack is great.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

If you're having clipping issues would it not be possible to use the fine road anarchy option to force elevated models, even if at ground level? I use that option all the time when working with more extreme slopes in order to avoid terrain seams.

E: On that note, is it possible to just make the sides of the road go much further down than they normally do?

The geometry itself is already a couple of cms above the terrain and it's got pretty large downward sloping angles into the terrain. The only non-pavement texture you can force to show up on those sides is the grassy one though, which looks like poo poo on top of terrain with resources/sand/woods.

Baronjutter posted:

I so so want to fill in some of the gaps in the road selection myself one day. What do you need to do to make your own road? And how do you deal with poo poo like trams and bike lanes? Although for the most part I mostly just want some aesthetic changes to some existing roads. Like take one of those network extensions 1-lane mini roads and give it a nice cobblestone texture and some prettier sidewalks, just poo poo like that.

Here's what my import folder looks like for 3 basic road sizes, lacking any bridge/tunnel/slope segments, with no specific texturing done (the current roadway mask option blocks those markings from coming through), and lacking any LOD textures (the LOD meshes are just straight up copies from those segment's main/node meshes):

It's a loving retarded amount of file creation management that you've got to go through. For every single type of road you should have three separate meshes/models with decreasing amounts of tris/vertices per mesh type (from node through main to LOD) over 5 different segment types (road, elevated, bridge, tunnel, slope) - so 15 in all. Then every road type should have at least the 6 texture types shown above (diffuse, normal, specular, alpha, pavement map, and road map) and right now I can't for the love of god get the auto-generating LOD texture system to work with me so that's another 4 or 5 maps as well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why didn't CO just implement something a typical player could actually use like their CIM2 road editor? I just want to piece together a street from some pre-set parts, and maybe download some parts from the workshop. Imagine a whole new workshop category for "networks" or what ever and you could download someone's nice custom sidewalks, or custom flower garden lane divider or what ever. I don't get why they did what they did when there's so much demand for an easy to use lane by lane network editor.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

re: soundtracks, the Sim City 5 OST is actually pretty nice and I listen to it alongside the rest of them when playing C:S.

Koesj posted:

The geometry itself is already a couple of cms above the terrain and it's got pretty large downward sloping angles into the terrain. The only non-pavement texture you can force to show up on those sides is the grassy one though, which looks like poo poo on top of terrain with resources/sand/woods.

That sucks, but you can still do the force elevated road segments with fine road tools to avoid that kind of clipping. You can't zone anything beside the roads, but that doesn't really matter for highways.

Here's a gravel road, for example. It won't cause terrain tearing at all.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Now with plops on plops on plops on plops

Put a green stripe on it!

So much plopping and fitting

I like making "custom" buildings by mashing some vanilla buildings together

The whole place so far

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Now with plops on plops on plops on plops

Put a green stripe on it!

So much plopping and fitting

I like making "custom" buildings by mashing some vanilla buildings together

The whole place so far

Are you using any custom roads? The paths along your river look neat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

Are you using any custom roads? The paths along your river look neat.

Just the ped paths that come with network extensions or what ever.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

any tips on how to make a good-looking agriculture/treelogging based town? My attempts always ends up looking, very unnatural.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

double nine posted:

any tips on how to make a good-looking agriculture/treelogging based town? My attempts always ends up looking, very unnatural.

Do everything just for looks, don't rely on the actual industrial buildings. For logging areas make a winding network of gravel roads then use move it or something to clear cut big squares out of the forest. Keep some clear cut, replace others with baby trees. Sprinkle some actual resource buildings here and there to make the area actually work, but imagine those are just the gates to the real forestry area.

I actually buffed the employment/production on farming/forestry since I'd only have one actual building per huge area.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Enzenx posted:

I love you so much.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Thanks for the WG numbers Baron.

And yeah I think Fine Road Anarchy might be a better option: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=802066100

Sharp Junction Angles may not be all that reliable these days judging by comments on its page.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've got no issues with it, but if I was to start a new game I'd update/purge to the newer mods.
A lot of WG numbers will update on save/load but some need buildings rebuilt. Playing with stuff like production will update, it took me a LOT of trial and error to figure out those numbers. The author and other people told me raising the number would raise the time it took for units to be produced so higher = less traffic but nope, it's the opposite. But if I increased production x10 and reloaded and let the game run I'd see export totals start to go up and up and notice more traffic.

I think employment numbers will update too, so if you think offices or factories don't employ enough or employ too many you can tweak. What doesn't update is housing, if you change those numbers it only applies to new buildings.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 3, 2017

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

double nine posted:

Embrace the unnatural-ness of it.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Man the Rush Hour mod is so fantastic. Adds such a immense amount of life to your city.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=605590542

He updated it a couple of days and seems to be working fine now.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
How are you guys making those paved squares? Just criscrossing with paths?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shoehead posted:

I would imagine people are using the ground painting mod, can't remember the name of it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Has anyone made a utility for cleaning up missing assets? I get a ton of broken stuff showing up on my loading screen (using loading screen mod).

Also, my ambient occlusion mod is broken but I can't find it in my mod list to remove it. Blerg.

On the plus side, I'm nearly done optimizing my map of costal north florida to play on, because I am a giant nerd for my locality.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

I would imagine people are using the ground painting mod, can't remember the name of it.

Surface painter.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I could use some advice on my current supposedly rural town.

https://imgur.com/a/NE72o

it's a bit ... bland. Also I was surprised how little agriculture industry demand there is in the early stages, I was hoping/expecting to have a much bigger cluster of farms by now.

I'm thinking of setting up a forestry area to the west in the first image there and just slowly expanding its settlement until the two areas blend together, but I'm not sure how that would go. I'm also not going to bother with any more high-density stuff, since it's starting to turn this area into a city and I would prefer it not to get too ... metropolitan?

double nine fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 5, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Shoehead posted:

Sometimes surface painter, but usually actually playing the "filler" tiles on the workshop because surface painter can leave terrible hosed up edges in some situations.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
So what are the go-to mods for let's call them adornments if you had to choose only 3 or 4?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Overwined posted:

So what are the go-to mods for let's call them adornments if you had to choose only 3 or 4?

Move it, more beautification, precision engineering and prop anarchy.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

I actually buffed the employment/production on farming/forestry since I'd only have one actual building per huge area.

What settings in (I assume) the WG pop/consumption mod did you use for this?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

dragonshardz posted:

What settings in (I assume) the WG pop/consumption mod did you use for this?

To increase the worker/resident capacity of any building type, lower the space per person field.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

double nine posted:

it's a bit ... bland. Also I was surprised how little agriculture industry demand there is in the early stages, I was hoping/expecting to have a much bigger cluster of farms by now.

I'm thinking of setting up a forestry area to the west in the first image there and just slowly expanding its settlement until the two areas blend together, but I'm not sure how that would go. I'm also not going to bother with any more high-density stuff, since it's starting to turn this area into a city and I would prefer it not to get too ... metropolitan?

That's the problem I run into with my games. It's so hard to get that ultra-low density, spread-out look that a lot of rural America is made of. I need more amber waves of grain and cattle pasture.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

double nine posted:

Props. Lots of props. You won't have a lot of actual "working" land but there's a lot of farm field props and whatnot you can use to make the area feel like it's doing poo poo.

Baronjutter posted:

To increase the worker/resident capacity of any building type, lower the space per person field.

And how would you increase the overall production?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

dragonshardz posted:

Props. Lots of props. You won't have a lot of actual "working" land but there's a lot of farm field props and whatnot you can use to make the area feel like it's doing poo poo.

And how would you increase the overall production?

Increase the "production" fields in the chunk at the end. But the default production is actually super high so can be left alone. When I said I raised mine that was from previously making them only 10% to make traffic reasonable.