Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Congrats to those goons who were long WTW. Nicely done if you still got it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
It just seems to me like if electric cars take off any existing car company can probably switch production to electric for a fraction of what it’ll cost Tesla to build out. And I don’t see why there’d be much of a first-mover advantage for the cars (for the charging stations, yes). Feeling about self-driving cars is about the same. Good deal if you’re building the infrastructure or creating the standards, otherwise come to market 2 years late and license the tech from google or apple or whoever. That’s probably what all but one of the companies spending on R&D are going to end up doing. Anyway so that means Tesla’s value is pretty much all in the brand.

Their huge capex doesn’t seem that huge when you think how much you’d need to spend to make Ford or GM from scratch. Trillions, probably. That’s the car makers’ moat.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

AAPL crushes earnings. So that's another tech giant that continues to print money. But we're in a bubble.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

lol yes

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
y'all huffing farts up in here

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

It just seems to me like if electric cars take off any existing car company can probably switch production to electric for a fraction of what it’ll cost Tesla to build out. And I don’t see why there’d be much of a first-mover advantage for the cars (for the charging stations, yes). Feeling about self-driving cars is about the same. Good deal if you’re building the infrastructure or creating the standards, otherwise come to market 2 years late and license the tech from google or apple or whoever. That’s probably what all but one of the companies spending on R&D are going to end up doing. Anyway so that means Tesla’s value is pretty much all in the brand.

Their huge capex doesn’t seem that huge when you think how much you’d need to spend to make Ford or GM from scratch. Trillions, probably. That’s the car makers’ moat.
Yeah, that's the way I feel about it. If Mercedes or BMW, for example, decided to hop into the EV game they'd be able to do so since already have the production capacity and distribution network. And even though Tesla's value is, as you said, mostly in the brand you can say the same for BMW. A lot of people buy BMW because, well, it's a BMW.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 16, 2019

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

melon cat posted:

Yeah, that's the way I feel about it. If Mercedes or BMW, for example, decided to hop into the EV game they'd be able to do so since already have the production capacity and distribution network. And even though Tesla's value is, as you said, mostly in the brand you can say the same for BMW. A lot of people buy BMW because, well, it's a BMW.

They already have. BWM has the i series and Mercedes is dumping a ton of money into it.

The problem is all their offerings or concepts look wonky as gently caress. I don't understand why every electric car produced by any manufacturer other than Tesla needs to look ridiculous. It has been noted before that this is Tesla's competitive advantage, but it is also something luxury car manufacturer's could pivot on a dime for once they realize EVs don't need to look like they came out of a TRON movie.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

paternity suitor posted:

AAPL crushes earnings. So that's another tech giant that continues to print money. But we're in a bubble.

This right here is the kind of logic that creates bubbles. When things are going well and the attitude becomes 'JUST KEEP BUYING'. A company can have 50% net margins and make a billion dollars a quarter- doesn't mean the company is worth $200 billion. That's said, I don't think AAPL is out of whack and have said several times that it's the one big tech not out of whack.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Cheesemaster200 posted:

The problem is all their offerings or concepts look wonky as gently caress. I don't understand why every electric car produced by any manufacturer other than Tesla needs to look ridiculous.

The same reason hybrids need to look ridiculous* - conspicuous environmentalism. People don't just want to do what's right for the environment, they want other people to know that they're doing it.

* yes yes I know not all of them do nowadays, but pretty much everyone buys the Prius anyway

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

greasyhands posted:

This right here is the kind of logic that creates bubbles. When things are going well and the attitude becomes 'JUST KEEP BUYING'. A company can have 50% net margins and make a billion dollars a quarter- doesn't mean the company is worth $200 billion. That's said, I don't think AAPL is out of whack and have said several times that it's the one big tech not out of whack.

I feel the tech market is like the movie Speed. Everything is peachy as long as you are above 60 mph, but the second you drop below that poo poo blows up.

For example, people are fine with AMZN not making any reasonable income because their rate of top-line growth is so high. Once that inevitably slows down, the prevailing market narrative could potentially turn against them. I think a lot of other tech firms are also in a similar boat. They may seem like rock stars right now, but how long can that last? How many quarters can Amazon and others realistically show 30% revenue growth?

I define a bubble as absurd valuations without any backing from fundamentals. I agree that isn't the current case with tech stocks, but it doesn't mean that valuations are not still based upon ever increasing high expectations for the future. The higher those expectations get, the harder they become to meet.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Any guesses on what Apple will do with its $250,000,000,000 in cash?

Re: the bubble - we saw that to a certain extent with SHOP reporting a slowdown in the rate of growth. TSLA didn't exactly dazzle, either. Maybe things cool off soon, but who can time it?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

LLCoolJD posted:

I'm sure they'll create lots of jobs with it :smugdon:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Syrinxx posted:

I'm sure they'll create lots of jobs with it :smugdon:

:haw:

Does anyone see them making some big acquisitions? I've not heard much about Apple acquisitions other than below-the-radar tech companies.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

greasyhands posted:

No it’s not. My point is that valuations are based on continued strong earnings which are growing. And rates are low so higher multiples are justified. But half this thread is convinced we’re in a bubble despite that.

If a company makes $1B a quarter and is growing at 50% a year, yes it would be fairly valued at $200B. If it’s growing at 25% a year ok, it’s worth something less. In this environment though you are going to have to pay a premium because nothing else gives you a return. So you should be expected to pay more than $20 for $1 in earnings growing at 20% a year. Maybe $25, I don’t know, it’s actually a little subjective.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

LLCoolJD posted:

Re: the bubble - we saw that to a certain extent with SHOP reporting a slowdown in the rate of growth. TSLA didn't exactly dazzle, either. Maybe things cool off soon, but who can time it?

Stimulate the economy of Bermuda due to prohibitively high corporate tax rates in the US.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Stimulate the economy of Bermuda due to prohibitively high corporate tax rates in the US.

Bermuda is absurdly expensive, but a nice place to visit

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

paternity suitor posted:

No it’s not. My point is that valuations are based on continued strong earnings which are growing. And rates are low so higher multiples are justified. But half this thread is convinced we’re in a bubble despite that.

If a company makes $1B a quarter and is growing at 50% a year, yes it would be fairly valued at $200B. If it’s growing at 25% a year ok, it’s worth something less. In this environment though you are going to have to pay a premium because nothing else gives you a return. So you should be expected to pay more than $20 for $1 in earnings growing at 20% a year. Maybe $25, I don’t know, it’s actually a little subjective.

Curious if you have sat down and modeled potential 10yr returns relative to expected growth rates on basically any given tech name? The point you are making is correct in a vacuum, but I'm wondering how many subscribers you think NFLX can get (etc etc)? AAPL is the closest thing to reasonable though even it is starting to get a little elevated. Yes, there is wiggle room in valuations and it is even subjective to some extent, but tech is really really expensive right now unless you really think this stuff is going to grow at 30% a year (i.e. there's not going to be new entrants upending things) for the next 10 years- and even if you do think that can happen, it's basically already priced in.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Holy moley qcom avgo. Trump making mergers great again.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

fougera posted:

Bermuda is absurdly expensive, but a nice place to visit

More of a reference to their 0% corporate tax rate and their infamy for being a tax haven for foreign countries with profits off of IP.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LLCoolJD posted:

:haw:

Does anyone see them making some big acquisitions? I've not heard much about Apple acquisitions other than below-the-radar tech companies.
Big mergers and acquisitions generally don't work and are the sign of desperate management.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Big mergers and acquisitions generally don't work and are the sign of desperate management.

Or empire building management too entrenched to be kicked out by their shareholders.

End the tyranny of Management over Capital!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I used to live/work there. It's actually cheaper than living in NYC and clearing US immigration/customs in Bermuda is pretty convenient.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

https://twitter.com/BagholderQuotes/status/926073791251443713

lmao. bio/pharma BagHolders Classics :thumbsup:

https://www.finviz.com/screener.ashx?v=341&t=TEVA

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

greasyhands posted:

Curious if you have sat down and modeled potential 10yr returns relative to expected growth rates on basically any given tech name? The point you are making is correct in a vacuum, but I'm wondering how many subscribers you think NFLX can get (etc etc)? AAPL is the closest thing to reasonable though even it is starting to get a little elevated. Yes, there is wiggle room in valuations and it is even subjective to some extent, but tech is really really expensive right now unless you really think this stuff is going to grow at 30% a year (i.e. there's not going to be new entrants upending things) for the next 10 years- and even if you do think that can happen, it's basically already priced in.

Hello no I didn’t do that, I have a day job and I’m otherwise invested. I don’t really care about Netflix, they’re 10% of the market cap of Apple. I’m concerned with the broader market unless I’m invested in a particular company, and I’m not invested in anything that’s discussed in this thread.

If it’s priced in, we’re not in a bubble. There’s a huge difference between being in a bubble, and the market having no upside. I am arguing that it’s more or less fairly valued. Maybe it drops 10% maybe it pops 10%. Neither is a bubble. If poo poo stays the same but valued to up 50% we’re in a bubble.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
IV is looking relatively low on SNAP for earnings. Might have to light some money on fire.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Buy RGR I guess god bless :911:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Buy RGR and SWHC after every mass shooting and Dem election victory.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
It's a pretty solid day for :420: ... Lot of deals closing ...

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Yeah, I finally bought some WEED-COBALT stocks last week and my WEED's up ~11% today.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

lol @ Sprint. Real glad I didn't go work there and tie my bonus to them keeping their stock at $10/share.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Not me, option supremecy

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I am not an options guy. Does that mean you spent over $100,000 on options?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

Not me, option supremecy

See, it's crazy poo poo like this that makes wish I could trade options, as well as glad that I'm not allowed. Buying a foreign bank penny stock is one thing, but there's just too much craziness with options for me.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Not me, option supremecy

You have almost 800K in your TFSA?

Wow, well done.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
since tesla was recently discussed in this thread, this article might of interest

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/03/ford-bmw-vw-daimler-building-electric-charging-network-twice-the-power-of-teslas.html posted:

Are electric cars about to go long distance?

Ford, BMW, Daimler and Volkswagen Group with Audi and Porsche have unveiled a joint plan to build fast-charging stations for electric cars across Europe.

Named as 'IONITY', the joint venture aims to install 400 high-power charging stations by 2020, with the first 20 locations to be up and running by the end of this year.

The leader of the venture, IONITY chief executive Michael Hajesch, said in a press statement Friday that the network will ease fears about electric cars and long-distance travel.

"IONITY will deliver our common goal of providing customers with fast charging and digital payment, to facilitate long-distance travel," he said.

An initial phase of 20 charging stations will be built at existing gas stations on major roads in Germany, Austria and Norway. Placed at intervals of 75 miles apart, each charging point will allow multiple drivers to charge at the same time.

The network will be based on a new Combined Charging System (CCS) technology standard that will accept different makes and models of cars. The promised capacity of 350 kilowatts per charging point more than doubles Tesla's current standard for its 'second generation' chargers that have a capacity of up to 145 kW.

Daimler said in its release that battery electric cars built to accept the new technology will be able to recharge in a "fraction of the time" of today's current stations.

And although no solid estimates of recharge time are available, Porsche claimed in 2016 that if fast recharging stations were built, its 2019 Mission E car battery could charge to 80 percent from flat in around 15 minutes.

looks like maybe the big car manufacturers might be gearing up to give tesla some serious competition

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
:420: $WEED 50% in a week and going :staredog: You all need to stop buying it and start selling it pronto so I can get back in.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

There’s no such thing as getting low on weed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DNK posted:

There’s no such thing as getting low on weed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ugh fine I'll get in on $WEED or should I say TMWJF.

Gonna burn me like HMNY I bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Getting burned out on WEED just comes with the territory.