Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pwhoar, what a car. The McLaren Honda of the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in all seriousness the better comparison to McLaren Honda was Footwork Porsche.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Pretty sure I left off at 1983. Which years do these disasters of cars race?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

lol RIP

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
F1 Rejects (RIP) had a really good writeup on the lovely '89 Yamaha OX88 V8 and it's myriad of issues.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Minto Took posted:

The Coloni-Subaru was 1990, but you'd never see it as it failed to qualify every time. Footwork Porsche was for part of 1991.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Minto Took posted:

Subaru Coloni was 1990 (same year as the infamous Life W12 engine). It DNPQed every race.

Footwork Porsche was 1991, IIRC. There was like a bidding war between a bunch of midfielders for the engine, Onyx in particularly really wanted it.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

The Fiat 500 is a loving terrible bin of a car

The worst car I've ever driven was a 90's Fiat Panda, shifting in that thing was like trying to maneuver through gears with a rope. Absolutely gutless and impossible to control.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

F1 Rejects (RIP) had a really good writeup on the lovely '89 Yamaha OX88 V8 and it's myriad of issues.

Wasn't the origin of the whole project that Cosworth wouldn't buy their 5 valve head design so they wanted to try and prove Cosworth wrong?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
While the Porsche V12 engine was indeed very bad (I consider it the worst major effort in recent times) there seemed to be communication problems between Footwork and Porsche; The A11 had to be pressed into service yet again for the first 2-3 races.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have spent the last 20 years driving a G reg white ford transit van, and riding pillion on ludicrously powerful motorcycles. The motorcycle that spent the most time in the back of the transit by far was, surprise surprise, A Honda.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Wasn't the origin of the whole project that Cosworth wouldn't buy their 5 valve head design so they wanted to try and prove Cosworth wrong?

Yes. Their engine that won the 1988 Japanese F3000 season was basically a Cosworth block with 5V heads. F3000 races were shorter and Aguri Suzuki was a solid driver so that probably made the engine look better than it was; the Mugen-Hondas were the ones to have.

Yamaha rewarded Suzuki's services by firing him. It worked out for the best though.

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

iospace posted:

That would imply I get laid, which I don't.

This thread sorely needs an 'if you know what I mean fellas' joke about now

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I love Chrysler

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

The Unfetered One posted:

This thread sorely needs an 'if you know what I mean fellas' joke about now

IO can ban if you know what I mean

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

While the Porsche V12 engine was indeed very bad (I consider it the worst major effort in recent times) there seemed to be communication problems between Footwork and Porsche; The A11 had to be pressed into service yet again for the first 2-3 races.

I honestly think the modern Honda engine is worse. The Porsche was out of the box bad and Porsche just decided they couldn't be bothered, Honda has been dysmal for three loving years with no end in sight.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

At least people will stop thinking I'm a Barcelona fan now.

I bleed Atletico Madrid/Arsenal/Bayern Munich/Toronto FC/Juventus/Marseille

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Don't want people thinking I'm some plastic now

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

Don't do it wicka

do not take this bait

I don't see what sandwiches have to do with MLS

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I honestly think the modern Honda engine is worse. The Porsche was out of the box bad and Porsche just decided they couldn't be bothered, Honda has been dysmal for three loving years with no end in sight.

Porsche also has a higher profile than Honda.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love MLS, the extremely good soccer league which will soon eclipse MLB because of millennial popularity or something

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I do not understand the appeal of soccer. It baffles me.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

1500quidporsche posted:

I do not understand the appeal of soccer. It baffles me.

Says the Canadian who constantly bangs on about his 'european heritage'

Also if you have a turbocharged japanese car and you aren't poorly modifying it you're doing it wrong.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I love MLS, the extremely good soccer league which will soon eclipse MLB because of millennial popularity or something

You should read some of the articles about NASL’s lawsuit against USSF. The relationship between MLS, USSF, and MLS’s marketing arm is like next level insanity.

Gigi, please ban me if I post in the MLS thread again, thanks in advance.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

track day bro! posted:

Says the Canadian who constantly bangs on about his 'european heritage'

Also if you have a turbocharged japanese car and you aren't poorly modifying it you're doing it wrong.

I don't think Austria has ever been known for their soccer teams lol.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't think Austria has ever been known for their soccer teams lol.

Austria, Germany it's all pretty much the same.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

track day bro! posted:

Austria, Germany it's all pretty much the same.

The Krauts are loving garbage.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Human Grand Prix posted:

The Coloni-Subaru was 1990, but you'd never see it as it failed to qualify every time.

Jesus, it looks like it actually might be made out of plywood!

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

The best Porsche is the 944

This is probably poo poo posting, but I like how goofy the 944 looks. 80s hubris at its finest.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

track day bro! posted:

:hai:

wicka posted:

Gigi, please ban me if I post in the MLS thread again, thanks in advance.

lol, done

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It falls to me to make bad posts in the MLS thread.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SPACE HOMOS posted:

This is probably poo poo posting, but I like how goofy the 944 looks. 80s hubris at its finest.

It's attractive, I think. Although imo I prefer the looks of it's knockoff, the Mazda FC RX-7.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have lived in Seattle for two years and DC for two years prior to that and went to exactly zero (0) MLS matches in that time.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I have lived in Seattle for two years and DC for two years prior to that and went to exactly zero (0) MLS matches in that time.

I live 8 minutes away from an MLS stadium and have also never gone.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've said it before, but soccer would be better if it was on ice and they had sticks and used a puck instead of a ball and the nets were smaller and they were allowed to hit eachother.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It falls to me to make bad posts in the MLS thread.

They’re good posts made poorly.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

They’re good posts made poorly.

Sounds like the bizarro version of this thread.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schlesische posted:

The FIA being screwed by Porsche is a better story than McLaren finding a way to let Ferrari have one and Ferrari almost finding a way to piss it down the drain.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

that'd be the ACO, not the FIA

Also nice meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

I've said it before, but soccer would be better if it was on ice and they had sticks and used a puck instead of a ball and the nets were smaller and they were allowed to hit eachother.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandy ?

• Locked thread