Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I haven't read Forge of Destiny so I don't know how it compares, but I'd say most xianxia isn't particularly creative when it comes to fights. Mostly it comes down to who has the higher level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Sindai posted:

I haven't read Forge of Destiny so I don't know how it compares, but I'd say most xianxia isn't particularly creative when it comes to fights. Mostly it comes down to who has the higher level.

Unless you're the MC, then you can kill people 2 levels higher than you with ease.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
every once in a while someone will barely eke out a win with a clever trick but no one wn does it consistently.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
You could tell an interesting story about the usual nonsense "only one out of a thousand will ever achieve the next level" by having the main character and also the entire cast that are relevant be people who can't do that

make it so that the story is about people and interests in the world and the weird distant higher level ones capable of just hiding from the world and caring about nothing for decades or centuries are more like natural disasters or enigmas to be survived or puzzled about

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

UberJew posted:

You could tell an interesting story about the usual nonsense "only one out of a thousand will ever achieve the next level" by having the main character and also the entire cast that are relevant be people who can't do that

make it so that the story is about people and interests in the world and the weird distant higher level ones capable of just hiding from the world and caring about nothing for decades or centuries are more like natural disasters or enigmas to be survived or puzzled about

that wouldn't make for a very good juvenile power fantasy, though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

UberJew posted:

It's always a bit weird when the setting shifts from one where being Spirit Severing means you're a super-rare expert who has a whole society formed around you to one where every member of every clan is practically born at the Dao Seeking level, just by moving to another continent.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I joke with some people that the MC always comes from super poor people ghetto land and the max education available is like 1st grade and other continents are just like elementary school, middle school, move to the divine lands high school, and college then the great divine lands are like the post doctorate planes. In the greater areas they just pretend the poor uneducated people do not exist and the MC has a massive chip on his shoulder because he wasn't lucky in where he was born. That and they have fantasy mega cities with populations bigger than current Asia all in one city.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Speaking of hilarious scaling, the main character in Desolate Era just spent fifty thousand years hiding invisibly by a (magic) door waiting for someone to open it so he could sneak in.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

UberJew posted:

I'm working on... something similar to that idea.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

jon joe posted:

I'm working on... something similar to that idea.

When they keep talking about how some cities have billions of people 1 in a thousand becomes millions of people just in that city.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The earlier volumes of Desolate Era have pretty good fights with decent variety of things being shown, e.g. making rain scary.

Before the scaling breaks everything into swordlight dickwaving or something.

Sindai posted:

Speaking of hilarious scaling, the main character in Desolate Era just spent fifty thousand years hiding invisibly by a (magic) door waiting for someone to open it so he could sneak in.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
desolate era gets pretty dang weird, but it is all even weirder because the mc never physically aged past childhood.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
tbh I find I Eat Tomatoes' habit of adding a zero to all the numbers for every 100 chapters that passes in his stories to be part of his charm. I'm just picturing everything normally, then he casually mentions this city is the size of the solar system, and I laugh.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
*throws out an attack that is the size of the planet*

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

The only IET novel I've read is CD, and I was really enjoying it until the last book or two pissed me off and made me think back to the rest of the story, at which point I realized there was a lot of really lame poo poo in the story that I didn't notice at the time because of constant changes in scenery. The fight scenes, especially, were really boring most of the time. Linley just turned on his gravity field and won, again. I think the biggest thing that annoyed me is how enormous in size and impotence the supporting cast was. IIRC, Linley's mom gets brought back at the end, but only has one line before the last fight and that's it? Also the reveal at the end was REALLY dumb. And no one was allowed to die except the old grandpa, the rest just came back to do nothing, ever.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
IET is fun to read when you don't think much about it. When you do think a bit more about it, you realize that these people don't have any contemporary physics existing in their world, otherwise the size of the planets they're on should technically be collapsing upon itself from the mass it holds into a fiery ball of nuclear fusion, and the people would be crushed by the gravitational pull of their world. I suppose there's a fifth fundamental force of MAGIC that prevents everything from imploding on itself from the sheer oversized ego it possesses.

I guess this is why I find Cultivation Chat Group world-building to be so charming: the main world is still Earth, the extra-terrestrial worlds are either illusions, independent dimensions, or other planetoids, and things are connected via magic gates or travelling at ludicrous speeds.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i couldn't get past the early parts of cultivation chat group that were like an extended episode of three's company.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Silento posted:

The only IET novel I've read is CD, and I was really enjoying it until the last book or two pissed me off and made me think back to the rest of the story, at which point I realized there was a lot of really lame poo poo in the story that I didn't notice at the time because of constant changes in scenery. The fight scenes, especially, were really boring most of the time. Linley just turned on his gravity field and won, again. I think the biggest thing that annoyed me is how enormous in size and impotence the supporting cast was. IIRC, Linley's mom gets brought back at the end, but only has one line before the last fight and that's it? Also the reveal at the end was REALLY dumb. And no one was allowed to die except the old grandpa, the rest just came back to do nothing, ever.
Well, good news, you can skip all his other work because it's exactly the same story in different settings.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
as far as power creep goes, seeing the scale get so big in long xianxia series is kinda funny in a way, they really dont hold back. it reminds me of the Toriko manga. but in the end i think theyd be better served in general by just ending the story at a reasonable chapter number

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i couldn't get past the early parts of cultivation chat group that were like an extended episode of three's company.

The early parts of CCG requires a somewhat decent understanding of Chinese humor and memes. Otherwise, you can pretty much skip to the point where he accidentally simplifies the body strengthening brew, and begins the TRUE wacky adventures of modern day cultivation, complete with passing off standardized morning exercises as secret martial arts katas and using tractors in an Initial D/Mario Kart style race.

Seriously, that last part should be motivation enough to get you to power through the dull parts of the story.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

Well, good news, you can skip all his other work because it's exactly the same story in different settings.

nah, swallowed star is all of iet's usual peccadilloes paired with a whole lot of racism.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
My favorite part of Swallowed Star is that no technique in the entire universe of godlike immortal beings is better than the mental strengthening of Chinese meditation.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

nah, swallowed star is all of iet's usual peccadilloes paired with a whole lot of racism.

That has nothing on the trash that is I'm really a superstar. It is racism to the extreme.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Chen Changsheng is about to show this poor dumb motherfucker what he can do when he's not 99% crippled and I can't wait. :f5:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 7, 2017

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Newest chapter translated of bookworm. :smith: :cry:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fallorn posted:

That has nothing on the trash that is I'm really a superstar. It is racism to the extreme.

we were talking about the works of i eat tomatoes.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

we were talking about the works of i eat tomatoes.

I eat tomatoes seems like he is pretty ok as long as the work doesn't take place on earth. If it does CHINA HO!!!

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
Why you should be reading Cultivation Chat Group:

quote:

At this moment, in Medicine Master’s multi-storied building.

Venerable White’s face was filled with content as he placed a laptop, with its screen displaying the structure of the air conditioner, next to him.

Thereafter, he disassembled the interior and exterior of the air conditioner and spread the components all over the floor.

"The mind of human beings’ is getting more and more meaningful; cultivators don’t need things like air conditioners, but to ordinary mankind, in the sweltering heat of summer, this is a must-have. It is really interesting, this era is truly a wonderful era, there are too many things that are worthy of being disassembled!

Ok, before little friend Song Shuhang wakes up, I should probably assemble the air conditioner back together," said Venerable White as he started to piece the the air conditioner—not forgetting the adjacent part of ventilation system—together. This time, he followed the lesson learned from the previous episode—from the moment he started disassembling, he memorized every step clearly.

Soon after, the air conditioner had been completely reassembled.

"This time, I did not leave out a single part. Indeed, if I am serious about doing something, there would not be any problem!" Venerable White’s face was full of confidence as he brought the air conditioner to the second floor to reassemble it as a whole with the vent, and plug it in.

After switching it on with the remote, Senior White’s face beamed with confidence!

Approximately 5 to 6 seconds later.

"Boom, boom…" came the familiar sound of circuits frying. Shortly after, there was a gust of black smoke.

The air conditioner overheated and was fried as well.

Venerable White’s body stiffened, and he hurriedly unplugged it from the power source.

"Why did it become like that, I clearly followed every step and there was no problem! Why did it overheat!?"

Senior White was extremely frustrated.

At the same time, he secretly glanced at Song Shuhang’s room—little friend Song Shuhang was still sound asleep.

"I don’t have a choice, I just have to use magic to replace the air conditioner’s function!" Senior White rubbed his hands and disassembled it anew, preparing to engrave a spirit gathering formation, and then another automatic temperature-adjusting formation.

However… as he was about to engrave the formation, he suddenly thought of something.

"Ah, wait a minute—I don’t think I have learned the ‘automatic temperature-adjusting’ formation!" Senior White stared blankly.

That was because after cultivators opened the Heart Aperture, they would already possess an automatic body temperature-adjusting ability. There was no need for any ‘automatic temperature-adjusting’ formation!

"What should I do?" Senior White stared at the air conditioner with a guilty expression.

After much deliberation, he secretly took down the air conditioner once again and placed it into a box, moving it to the courtyard downstairs.

Thereafter, he found a branch in the courtyard at random and pared it into the shape of a sword. He then engraved a bunch of complicated formations on it.

At last, spiritual qi poured into the wooden sword.

After those steps had been completed, the original plain wooden sword transformed into a floating rainbow-colored wooden sword!

Senior White mumbled, "Haha, it’s been a long time since I created something, I’m a bit out of practice."

Disposable flying sword 004 edition!

As the name implied, this was a one-time use flying sword, uniquely created by Senior White.

Following after, Senior White placed the packaged air conditioner onto the wooden flying sword.

He executed a sword art, and displayed the sword controlling technique, "Do your thing!"

‘Disposable flying sword 004 edition’ rose, along with the air conditioner, and soared into the sky, higher and higher.

It soared, and soared. Upon reaching a certain height, it transformed into chunks of ice. However, the flying sword’s speed was not affected, and it continued at a speed which wouldn’t make it burst into flames because of friction, freely crossing through the atmospheric layer.

Just like that, it flew into space, starting its endless voyage…

As long as the spiritual energy within the ‘disposable flying sword 004 edition’ did not get completely consumed before that, and as long as it did not collide with any stars, a black hole, meteorites, or any similar dangers in the vacuum, this air conditioner would become the earth’s first domestic air conditioner to enjoy space travel.

Hmm, in fact, before the air conditioner, a luxurious carriage used by the emperor, three mechanic dragons, two mechanic elephants, a monster snake that once committed an offense against Senior White, a precise seismograph… etc. shared this experience as well. All of them once sat on ‘disposable flying sword 001’, ‘disposable flying sword 002’, and ‘disposable flying sword 003’ under Senior White’s help, and embarked on their tragic space travel.

With regards to sending those items into space, Senior White had already showed his long-time experience. He could maintain control over the flying sword’s speed, allowing it to cross through the atmospheric layer without exploding in flames. The sword and its burden also would not lose power and end up falling from the sky back onto earth.

Via a sword art, freely starting its space voyage.

Upon completing everything, Senior White wiped his sweat.

Then, he returned to the second floor, and in the original location where the air conditioner had been placed, he engraved… an illusory art formation.

Soon after, a lifelike AC unit appeared in its original position.

After that, Senior White drew another illusory art formation outside. Lifelike ventilation system parts then appeared in their original position as well.

"Haha, done.

After that, in a few days’ time, I will go to the chat group’s fellow daoist friends to change some money and secretly buy an air conditioner in its place. For now, just gotta make do with this," Senior White let out a hollow laugh, hoping that fellow daoist Song Shuhang wouldn’t sense anything odd... would he?

Should be able to get away with this, my illusory art is after all of a pretty high standard.

Hee hee hee~

After engraving the formation, Senior White felt kind of guilty. He held his own laptop and went back to the room Song Shuhang prepared for him on the third floor.

However, after returning to the third floor, he saw the color TV in his room.

He couldn’t control it any longer, his fingers started wriggling.

Three minutes later, Senior White gritted his teeth, and resolutely said, "It’s ok, disassembling one or disassembling two is the same! At most, by then I will buy a brand new set back!"

Thereafter, with a face filled with happiness, he started disassembling the color TV…

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Zeratanis posted:

Newest chapter translated of bookworm. :smith: :cry:

In a rare confluence of events, the raw manga just got to this chapter the same week! http://seiga.nicovideo.jp/watch/mg281046?track=ct_episode

You know the chapter is serious business when the manga adapts it in its entirety rather than adapting two or three chapters at once.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I’m starting up a PbP game that’s a mashup of Golden Sky Stories (an RPG about being nice) and a stereotypical web novel isekai. I figure some folks in this thread might be able to get a special kick out of playing around in this sort of setting so I’ll just leave a link here. Check it out if you’re interested. Don’t worry if you don’t know the system, it’s cheap and incredibly easy to pick up.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839939

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

FrantzX posted:

Why you should be reading Cultivation Chat Group:

Like 500 chapters later, when Shuhang forcibly goes on adventures to the moon, a bunch of cultivators are in space murdering each other and chasing around all the rubbish-on-swords because they think there's treasure on them.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Cultivation Chat Group has got to be one of my favorite Xianxia style stories, right up there with My Disciple. If you're talking about modern cultivation or cultivation stories without transmigration though, CCG definitely beats all competitors, hands down. It has humor, action, and a MC that is such a nice guy that he can't get any girls (though that might be partly because of his denseness). Seriously, read it.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Argue posted:

In a rare confluence of events, the raw manga just got to this chapter the same week! http://seiga.nicovideo.jp/watch/mg281046?track=ct_episode

You know the chapter is serious business when the manga adapts it in its entirety rather than adapting two or three chapters at once.

Ah gently caress, I’m being overtaken...

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
The translation for Seoul Station's Necromancer is done.

The ending, really, is pretty bad. Lots of things left open and not explained. Like what was that black armor thing they were fighting at the end, and how did it get resolved? I guess when woojin turned the VR earth into real earth it was gone? Also how the hell did woojin finally get that executioner weapon anyway, just by that weird force logout thing he did?

Anyway, the beginning of the webnovel was nice, but it kind of went to poo poo in the last 20% of it.

Captain_duck fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 9, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think that was like, his shadow familiar who possessed the divine messenger he beat up. there was no explanation given for why it decided to kill everyone aside from how it was supposed to be an rear end in a top hat.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

i think that was like, his shadow familiar who possessed the divine messenger he beat up. there was no explanation given for why it decided to kill everyone aside from how it was supposed to be an rear end in a top hat.

Oh yeah, that happened. So many things just poorly explained, all near the end. I guess the author got sick of the story or something and just wanted to finish it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Destruction Flag Otome got a manga and the first chapter is up on batoto.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
That’s the one with Bakarina right? I remember it being good wholesome humor, so I’ll be sure to check it out.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

jwang posted:

That’s the one with Bakarina right? I remember it being good wholesome humor, so I’ll be sure to check it out.

Katerina Claes, determined to be good enough with a sword to fight off the guards inevitably sent to seize her, to be good enough with magic to be able to make a living after she's exiled, and to learn how to farm so she can be good at earth magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
most otome game isekai stories are oddly lacking in humor and others don't even have a male harem. destruction flag otome thankfully has both.