Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Grand Fromage posted:

Please do this and report back.

Where should I stuff them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Honestly, I don't think it matters.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

In the end I went super simple; slice the carrots, quick blanch to get them about half-way cooked, and then a light dressing with rice vinegar, salt and pepper.

I think I'll try some kind of butter poaching for the rest of them, similar to that radish recipe. I like my carrots rare, though; I've been to Ireland, and if I never eat another mushy carrot again it will be too soon.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

There Bias Two posted:

Where should I stuff them?

Probably caralina reaper peppers to add that extra pepper-y flavor.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
A few weeks ago (6?) I poached some chicken thighs with celery, onion, garlic, salt, etc. After removing the thighs and aromatics I reduced the liquid for a while until I got what I guess is concentrated chicken stock. I then put that into a mason jar (washed, not sterilized), closed it and put it in the fridge once it got cooler. How long can that last? I had forgotten about it until my wife mentioned it last night.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I would throw that poo poo right out unless you pressure canned it or froze it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah that's way too long for just the fridge, don't do it. Portion it and freeze next time.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I would throw that poo poo right out unless you pressure canned it or froze it.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah that's way too long for just the fridge, don't do it. Portion it and freeze next time.
As I thought. Somewhere in my mind I was wondering "would the fat content and salt stop stuff from growing", but not willing to chance it. Out it goes.

Next time I will freeze it in an ice-cube tray. Thanks!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If it's like 10% salt it might be okay but it's just some boiled chicken bones and root vegetables. The dollar you're pouring down the drain isn't worth the risk of vomiting while also making GBS threads during the vomiting for the next three days.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sterster posted:

Probably caralina reaper peppers to add that extra pepper-y flavor.

My mouth is watering thinking about that, but I am a god drat crazy person when it comes to spice.

(And would still probably be either barfing or making GBS threads blood and fire afterwards.)

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

rgocs posted:

As I thought. Somewhere in my mind I was wondering "would the fat content and salt stop stuff from growing", but not willing to chance it. Out it goes.

Chicken stock is like the ideal bacterial growth medium.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I'm putting together a eating challenge for a Christmas party, consisting of military members and their spouses and the prize is going to be a Playstation 4.

I'm am planning 7 rounds with varying odd and challenging foods each person needs to eat and the last person to finish per round doesn't go on. I'm thinking a big dog biscuit for round 1 and a whole jalapeño as the final round.

I need help coming up with other ideas and I figured you amazing food nerds would help me with some crazy food ideas that I can hopefully get on amazon or even local to Raleigh, NC area.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

If it's like 10% salt it might be okay but it's just some boiled chicken bones and root vegetables. The dollar you're pouring down the drain isn't worth the risk of vomiting while also making GBS threads during the vomiting for the next three days.
Yeah, it's out in the compost already, it smelled good though! Reducing it was an afterthought of poaching the thighs, I will start planning these things better.

Rythe posted:

I'm putting together a eating challenge for a Christmas party, consisting of military members and their spouses and the prize is going to be a Playstation 4.

I'm am planning 7 rounds with varying odd and challenging foods each person needs to eat and the last person to finish per round doesn't go on. I'm thinking a big dog biscuit for round 1 and a whole jalapeño as the final round.

I need help coming up with other ideas and I figured you amazing food nerds would help me with some crazy food ideas that I can hopefully get on amazon or even local to Raleigh, NC area.
Century egg (amazon)

Chapulines (grasshopers, amazon has some)

Gusanos de maguey (maguey worms, sadly only in 'salt' mode in amazon though)

Heh, seems the century egg is a common prank thing, customers also bought:
- Edible Insects Bag of Mixed Edible Bugs. Grasshoppers, Crickets, Silk Worms and Sago Worms
- Rocky Mountain Oyster Beef Testicle Jerky

rgocs fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 3, 2017

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Baking question!

I'm making this recipe https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/brioche-au-sucre and have put it away to sit in the fridge per instructions.

My question is technical about the next part:

"Butter cups of a standard 12-cup muffin pan. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and roll out to a 15x15" square. Sprinkle ½ cup pearl sugar evenly over, pressing gently to adhere. Starting on the side closest to you, lift dough with a bench scraper and tightly roll away from you into a log, brushing excess flour from the underside as you go. Press or roll log to an even thickness.

Cut dough into 12 pieces, then cut each piece into thirds. Lightly press 3 pieces into prepared cup, arranging side by side in the 12, 8, and 4 o’clock positions. Repeat with remaining pieces. Place muffin pan in warm, draft-free area, then lay a sheet of plastic wrap or waxed paper over. Let dough rise until light and doubled (dough should rise almost 3" above top of muffin cups), 1–1½ hours."

I'm not sure how to interpret that. I could:

1. press the wedges into position like pieces in a trivial pursuit game piece

2. press the wedges, large end down with the peaks sticking straight up

3. I don't know, kind of press them along the side? with the wide edges smashed into the bottom?

4. forget about the wedges, and roll the three pieces into little tight balls and then just drop them into each cup.

Which way is correct? Am I being a bonehead and just reading something wrong? I'm getting really hung up on that "side by side in the 12, 8 and 4 o'clock" thing

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Baking question!

I'm making this recipe https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/brioche-au-sucre and have put it away to sit in the fridge per instructions.

My question is technical about the next part:

"Butter cups of a standard 12-cup muffin pan. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and roll out to a 15x15" square. Sprinkle ½ cup pearl sugar evenly over, pressing gently to adhere. Starting on the side closest to you, lift dough with a bench scraper and tightly roll away from you into a log, brushing excess flour from the underside as you go. Press or roll log to an even thickness.

Cut dough into 12 pieces, then cut each piece into thirds. Lightly press 3 pieces into prepared cup, arranging side by side in the 12, 8, and 4 o’clock positions. Repeat with remaining pieces. Place muffin pan in warm, draft-free area, then lay a sheet of plastic wrap or waxed paper over. Let dough rise until light and doubled (dough should rise almost 3" above top of muffin cups), 1–1½ hours."

I'm not sure how to interpret that. I could:

1. press the wedges into position like pieces in a trivial pursuit game piece

2. press the wedges, large end down with the peaks sticking straight up

3. I don't know, kind of press them along the side? with the wide edges smashed into the bottom?

4. forget about the wedges, and roll the three pieces into little tight balls and then just drop them into each cup.

Which way is correct? Am I being a bonehead and just reading something wrong? I'm getting really hung up on that "side by side in the 12, 8 and 4 o'clock" thing

Looking at the picture of the completed dish, I would say put them in the muffin cups with the pointy end down, and what was the outside of the rolled up dough sticking up.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

rgocs posted:

Century egg (amazon)

Chapulines (grasshopers, amazon has some)

Gusanos de maguey (maguey worms, sadly only in 'salt' mode in amazon though)
All of these things are good and aren't even particularly weird. Gusanos are rich but don't have that off iodine taste that a lot of edible insect-based poo poo does. Eating grasshopper covered in chili powder is like eating any other crispy thing covered in chili powder. And century egg is like, holy poo poo if you're making congee add extra century egg please. You can throw in huitlacoche into the seems a little weird but is actually good and not that weird pile as well.

If you're aiming to squick people out I think you'd have better luck with balut, durian, and poo poo like kæstur hákarl.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Stinky tofu

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

SubG posted:

All of these things are good and aren't even particularly weird. Gusanos are rich but don't have that off iodine taste that a lot of edible insect-based poo poo does. Eating grasshopper covered in chili powder is like eating any other crispy thing covered in chili powder. And century egg is like, holy poo poo if you're making congee add extra century egg please. You can throw in huitlacoche into the seems a little weird but is actually good and not that weird pile as well.

If you're aiming to squick people out I think you'd have better luck with balut, durian, and poo poo like kæstur hákarl.
I agree with you. I've personally eaten these things, I love chapulines and gusanos, not so much the egg. But they still make most people think twice.

I remember as a kid the first time we tried chapulines. My little brother brought some to school and made some money betting other kids he'd eat a grasshopper.

Edit: I brought some chapulines to work and only one person out of 7 ventured to eat some.

rgocs fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 3, 2017

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

taqueso posted:

Stinky tofu

Also delicious in congee.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

rgocs posted:

I agree with you. I've personally eaten these things, I love chapulines and gusanos, not so much the egg. But they still make most people think twice.

I remember as a kid the first time we tried chapulines. My little brother brought some to school and made some money betting other kids he'd eat a grasshopper.

Edit: I brought some chapulines to work and only one person out of 7 ventured to eat some.
Yeah, I think a lot of Americans immediately freak out whenever presented with the prospect of eating an ~*entire animal*~ or whatever. Or even just getting one on their plate---people who will eat random kinds of pan fish but have to put a lettuce leaf or whatever over the head (and so miss out on the cheeks, the chumps). Some people can't handle crawdads either.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Rythe posted:

You might just be hanging out with extremely white people or whatever but a whole jalapeño is basically a joke for anyone who eats even remotely spicy food. That's like eating a whole apple or something. You should probably start at something like a habañero if you want to rule out people on some basis other than "can't handle anything spicy because I'm very white" or something like that. Durian is a good choice if you have a local Asian market - you can find it frozen sometimes. Your best bet might just be stuff in larger quantities or with weirder textures than people are going to want to get through. Like, a ramekin full of miso or a bowl full of cold spaghetti that has been soaking in water for three hours.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Durian is good, if people get bothered by that do they also freak on kiwi?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

taqueso posted:

Durian is good, if people get bothered by that do they also freak on kiwi?
Only when the kiwi smells like a durian.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

If you're gonna do a pepper, make it 5 of them or something, and they must each be chewed for at least 5 seconds before swallowing, otherwise someone will just take it down in one go.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Rythe posted:

I'm putting together a eating challenge for a Christmas party

I had a list of stuff, but then I realized most of my ideas were just hazy memories from watching old LoadingReadyRun Iron Stomach videos.
http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/archive/isc

Binge on those, get ideas, laugh at your friends.
Personal favourite: banana onion juice. Never tried it myself, but it seems interesting.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Seconding the recommendation to find an Asian market if possible. They'll have lots of stuff like chicken feet that can be quite good (ed: if prepared correctly) but *sound* like they'll be unpleasant.

Also, please update us on what you end up choosing and how it goes.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

legendof posted:

Seconding the recommendation to find an Asian market if possible. They'll have lots of stuff like chicken feet that can be quite good (ed: if prepared correctly) but *sound* like they'll be unpleasant.

Also, please update us on what you end up choosing and how it goes.
Yeah, chicken feet sound weird, but a plate of tiger skin chicken feet don't look or smell funny or anything like that. I mean a lot of people freak out about any Chinese food with bones in it. But go to a dim sum place and get some chicken feet and you'll get something that looks more or less like any other braised/stir fried dish.

I mean sure I bet you would freak out some people with it and I'm not trying to do some `your food isn't really weird' one-upmanship or anything. I'm more just kinda worried that someone just lurking is going to see something like chicken feet or gusanos and be scared off trying 'em themselves even though they're really tame for `weird' foods. If that makes sense. Like they're totally in the if you didn't know what they were you'd never bat an eye side of things (like, say, brains and eggs and most random critter game meats).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Rythe posted:

With a PS4 as the prize, I have a feeling you'll have to find some way to split it among all the winners

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Rythe posted:

How about doing something with Vegemite or Marmite? I’m guessing you and your guests are American so are unused to the salty goodness of this heavenly spread. Maybe ask them to eat a certain amount or for a set time or see who can empty a small jar of it?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You might just be hanging out with extremely white people or whatever but a whole jalapeño is basically a joke for anyone who eats even remotely spicy food. That's like eating a whole apple or something. You should probably start at something like a habañero if you want to rule out people on some basis other than "can't handle anything spicy because I'm very white" or something like that.

You have no idea how right you are on this, I made some chili with fire roasted jalapeños in it and it just about blew half the people away with heat, was sad and funny at the same time.

I like the ideas of weird textures and foods not commonly found in America, I'm honestly contemplating cat food for the final round because that would be hilarious. With a PS4 on the line I could probably get away with it. I'm looking to start at a dog biscuit for round one speed eating and working my way progressively worse from there. I have a good month and a half to plan this and I do have a small Asian food store in town too.

I would love a terrible texture round, followed by super sour, salty and hot would all be great.

What happens to cooked spaghetti after it sits in water for hours?

Edit: I love chicken feet, heart, liver, kidneys and just about every part of the animal and if I ever talk about it at work I get lots of queasy face and these are dudes in the military. My 5 year old will destroy a plate of chicken feet with me and the avid hunter types haven't even tried venison heart, they leave it behind unless I ask for it.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 4, 2017

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

In that case find your local Little Saigon and buy a couple orders of ox dick and tripe bún bò Huế and just make sure to keep mentioning it contains animal penis and guts.

Edit: With the bonus being that you get to keep it all to yourself when they freak out, because that poo poo's seriously good y'all.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Let's take a pass on the :biotruths: version of food profiles, guys.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Rythe posted:

Edit: I love chicken feet, heart, liver, kidneys and just about every part of the animal and if I ever talk about it at work I get lots of queasy face and these are dudes in the military. My 5 year old will destroy a plate of chicken feet with me and the avid hunter types haven't even tried venison heart, they leave it behind unless I ask for it.

In my experience military people are big babies that like to complain about everything, especially food.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Rythe posted:

I assume it gets all soft and mushy. I've never actually done it because duh.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Recipes for chipotle aioli? I’ve been craving that poo poo for days.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Rough estimate on what percentage of a whole chicken is meat and skin? I've heard 60%. So a whole chicken at $3/pound is about the same price as boneless chicken pieces at $5/pound.

We regularly buy a whole chicken for roasting as a main dish. We also buy boneless breasts/thighs for other dishes. We think it might be cheaper to buy another whole chicken and cut it up than to buy the boneless bits. We're trying to quantify it. So what percentage of that whole chicken is actual, tasty meat?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Bagheera posted:

Rough estimate on what percentage of a whole chicken is meat and skin? I've heard 60%. So a whole chicken at $3/pound is about the same price as boneless chicken pieces at $5/pound.

We regularly buy a whole chicken for roasting as a main dish. We also buy boneless breasts/thighs for other dishes. We think it might be cheaper to buy another whole chicken and cut it up than to buy the boneless bits. We're trying to quantify it. So what percentage of that whole chicken is actual, tasty meat?

It depends on the chicken, larger chickens yield more meat.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Chicken bones also can be made into stock along with other veggie scraps that you can then use to stretch other foods.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Recipes for chipotle aioli? I’ve been craving that poo poo for days.

2 canned chipotle peppers with 1 tsp sauce
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup sour cream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Rythe posted:

It will keep absorbing water and expanding, eventually turning to mush and disintegrating. I added pasta to chicken soup once, and when I took the leftovers out of the fridge a few days later the paste had absorbed all of the soup's liquid.