Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I think the real BWM is the United States apparently not requiring the depot holding bank to withhold capital gains tax at source in such situations. :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Randler posted:

I think the real BWM is the United States apparently not requiring the depot holding bank to withhold capital gains tax at source in such situations. :staredog:

Reading the comments, the 90k combined salary is because they are both in residency, with wedding gifts paying off a chunk of his loans, while his wife had none to begin with.

Marrying up, GWM generally, with BWM details.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ashcans posted:

A lot of the time they pitch those cards at the register by offering a discount on your current purchase, and people sign up to get the $25 credit or whatever without even really having a chance to look at the terms. Sometimes it's not even clear its a credit card when they're making the sell, because they'll call it a 'store card' and people think its like a loyalty program until you hit the details of the application process.

I witnessed an employee at Sears hard selling in English to an older man who clearly only spoke Spanish and just handing him a mile long receipt with the terms. It didn't even seem like he understood that he was going to have to pay the money back or what the hell they were signing him up for.I am pretty sure within that store SOMEWHERE there was an employee who was fluent in Spanish but the lily white girl pushing the card at him seemed to make no attempt to get someone who could actually communicate with the customer. Scummy as gently caress.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Chin Strap posted:

Just get the amazon prime visa from Chase. 5% on all amazon still, just goes in points that you can redeem at normal cash back rate only you have to do it in chunks of like $25 or $50

Yep. I love the amazon card. I do most of my purchasing on it, pay it off promptly and get about 30 bucks a month in Amazon store credit. Easy peasy lemon sneezy.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I mean it's not rational but this woman is obviously really juiced up, she's leaving her babies for the first time in eight (!!!) years, it sounds like they don't do a lot of flying anyway, so I feel bad for them but $1,000 isn't going to bankrupt anyone anyway.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

omnibobb posted:

Yep. I love the amazon card. I do most of my purchasing on it, pay it off promptly and get about 30 bucks a month in Amazon store credit. Easy peasy lemon sneezy.

Don't redeem it for Amazon credit. You're robbing yourself of 5% when you do. Just do statement credit.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Oh good you did the work for me.

I was going to say, $1,000 is a huge amount of money for a lot of people, especially when it's $1,000 down the drain, not for getting anything actually substantial. I think if my wife pulled something like that I would just outright cancel the vacation.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah this is the person you are stuck with for the rest of your life

Enabling these whims is going to be super BWL in the long run because lol if you think it's gonna get better with time

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Won't bankrupt anyone who is flying to Hawaii.

So poor people in Hawaii are kind of stuck there I guess.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

crazypeltast52 posted:

Reading the comments, the 90k combined salary is because they are both in residency, with wedding gifts paying off a chunk of his loans, while his wife had none to begin with.

Marrying up, GWM generally, with BWM details.

That is quite a ride. Like Homer at the antiques/curios/froyo shop, changing opinions from "that's good!" to "that's bad!" after every sentence.

I have a feeling that not only do they have a financial safety net, that her in-laws own the financial safety net factory and that trust is pulling in dividends every quarter from it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Won't bankrupt anyone who is flying to Hawaii.

So poor people in Hawaii are kind of stuck there I guess.

It absolutely could. Plenty of people borrow or empty their bank account to take a vacation. Most Americans are mega-BWM.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

legendof posted:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/xwaaba/own-luxury-porsche-blockchain-tend-credit-suisse

Timeshares on Porsches? Backed by cryptocurrency? What could go wrong!

My favorite quote from this article is:

(Quote)The TEND website states that the company will give people "opportunities which are currently beyond their reach but reflect their aspirations." (/Quote)

It's like a hosed up version of the communist slogan: "To each according to his aspirations, from each according to maximum allowable wage garnishment"

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

It absolutely could. Plenty of people borrow or empty their bank account to take a vacation. Most Americans are mega-BWM.

Right?? Like uhh how many "poor people" does that poster know?

They *gasp* go on vacations too

the article above that post is literally pointing out that over half of Americans don't have that type of windfall. Lotta posters in this thread have a serious problem with parsing objective facts when it clashes with their little worldview

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 3, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

Right?? Like uhh how many "poor people" does that poster know?

They *gasp* go on vacations too

Not generally to Hawaii.

Although I'm sure there are people who fly across the ocean to take vacations they can't afford. However, if they are doing so then they're probably doing it on credit and the extra thousand won't bankrupt them. The 50 to 60k they spent before that extra thousand is what bankrupts them.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I agree that the one extra 1k expense might not push someone over the edge when you consider how people are generally BWM in worse ways but it sounds like OP would have to compromise other expenses to fit this expense stemming from an entirely irrational fear that should not be entertained

He should hold his ground imo

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Randler posted:

The amount of capital gains tax varies depending on your income though. It can even be 0%.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Cicero posted:

The amount of capital gains tax varies depending on your income though. It can even be 0%.

A solution to this is to have it withheld at the max inclusion rate and adjust it when the return is filed. Easy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
spend the money on a counselor to teach yourself how to resolve conflicts with words instead of tantrums

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Mantle posted:

A solution to this is to have it withheld at the max inclusion rate and adjust it when the return is filed. Easy.

How much are you willing to bet that the people who generally pay large amounts of capital gains tax in the United States are likely to go along with this new proposed mandated pre-withholding scheme of yours

Jan 11, 2004

Guinness posted:

I hope they never travel in the same car together. Flying is orders of magnitude safer than driving.

People are so ridiculous about flying anxiety.

Yeah why arent people rational forums posting robots about hurtling through the air at 600 miles an hour 35,000 feet above the ground

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Yeah why arent people rational forums posting robots about hurtling through the air at 600 miles an hour 35,000 feet above the ground
Yeah but when your fear of flying turns into "fear of flying so bad you put your family in financial jeopardy so that you don't both die in the same flight", that's a full-blown seek-therapy level delusion.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

What if our planes crash into each other or fall victim to the same natural disaster? Really it's best if we fly out on separate days and to separate places.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
"What if." What if I were taking a shower, and I slipped on a bar of soap?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Really the parents should just kill the kids so they never have to worry about it again. Plus kids are definitely BWM.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Don't redeem it for Amazon credit. You're robbing yourself of 5% when you do. Just do statement credit.

Is this applicable if I use it to buy stuff I would have purchased regardless if I had the points or not?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

What if our planes crash into each other or fall victim to the same natural disaster? Really it's best if we fly out on separate days and to separate places.

We should also have separate spouses so the kids have double thr parents too. It's really in the best interests of the children.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Bird in a Blender posted:

Really the parents should just kill the kids so they never have to worry about it again. Plus kids are definitely BWM.
Finally, a use for life insurance on children.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

We should also have separate spouses so the kids have double thr parents too. It's really in the best interests of the children.

Real talk, my initial instinct was that she's gettin some serious D on the side and it's all a desperate cover that started to take a life of its own.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Comedy option, take out additional life insurance and tell the wife that will take care of the kids if anything happens.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

How much are you willing to bet that the people who generally pay large amounts of capital gains tax in the United States are likely to go along with this new proposed mandated pre-withholding scheme of yours

Out of scope of the posed question. You figure it out!

Jan 11, 2004

Mantle posted:

Out of scope of the posed question. You figure it out!

Zero, done, next?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Weatherman posted:

"What if." What if I were taking a shower, and I slipped on a bar of soap?

Oh my god, you'd be killed!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't think withholding as you make them makes much sense. People who are just wealthy and sell some stock to live on would just sell at the end of the year and be unaffected. People who make capital gains throughout the year would be arbitrarily punished compared to them since they would be without money ordinarily available for re-investing every time they sell something. Would you also get an immediate refund at the maximum rate on capital losses?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Oh my god, you'd be killed! "fall on a bottle of shampoo"

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Someone I see on Facebook, a broke 30 year old college student, is currently frantically looking for a two day supply of Pruvit Keto OS because their delivery got delayed so now they won't get their supply until Monday.

It appears to be some kind of gimmicky protein powder that costs $85 every two weeks.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
The reason large companies have the transport rule of taking separate flights is because executives fly a lot, while the chance of an airplane crashing is very low, the cumulative risk can be relatively high.

But if you're flying twice, the risks are super low. I wonder if the wife is equally crazy about driving together? Considering the chance of dying in a car crash is 10x more likely. Sounds like she's having separation anxiety and her friend is an idiot.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

omnibobb posted:

Is this applicable if I use it to buy stuff I would have purchased regardless if I had the points or not?

Especially so. Basically if you use the points to buy something you miss out on making 5% on that purchase which would be more points! I mean if you are making $5 in points a year it's not a big deal, but it does add up. That's BWM

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What annoys me about the lady wanting to take separate flights is that I feel like had she told him this much earlier on, they probably woudn't have wasted much money. If she wanted any credibility she could've said something to the effect of "I have this phobia of both of us dying in a plane crash, so let's book separate flights and meet at the hotel, we'll try to get flights that arrive somewhat at the same time and since I'm the neurotic one here I'll take whatever difference gets incurred out of my own spending money".

But I guess if she was reasonable, then it wouldn't be on Reddit :shepicide:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Panfilo posted:

What annoys me about the lady wanting to take separate flights is that I feel like had she told him this much earlier on, they probably woudn't have wasted much money. If she wanted any credibility she could've said something to the effect of "I have this phobia of both of us dying in a plane crash, so let's book separate flights and meet at the hotel, we'll try to get flights that arrive somewhat at the same time and since I'm the neurotic one here I'll take whatever difference gets incurred out of my own spending money".

But I guess if she was reasonable, then it wouldn't be on Reddit :shepicide:
But there's a confounding factor here:

OP posted:

She's my wife's best friend for over 20 years. They are kind of inseparable and sometimes me and her husband joke that they share the same brain.

Every so often they get into these odd reinforcing "panic" cycles and they are unmovable. This is not the first time they've helped each other act irrational.
So the obvious solution is to send the "friend" on a one-way flight somewhere on the opposite side of the globe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

How do I do this?