Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
hello

boiiiiiiiiz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Awaken, my masters, etc.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JcDent posted:

Just 200 per mini!
Yeah, that's not a crazy price, when you look at the quality and the fact that $200 is about the going rate for a display quality model. It's just that there are 7 of them in one auction.

EDIT: His Vindicare went for $180 with shipping, and that's basically one color with a blue highlight.

Do you think the speckle effect is from low lighting, or his zenithal undercoat?

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 3, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JcDent posted:

Awaken, my masters, etc.

Awaken my loins, you mean!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GihnbWsv_1U&t=3s

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BULBASAUR posted:

hello
boiiiiiiiiz

Wrong thread. That's a literal child doing his first army if the card behind it is to be believed. Honestly, it doesn't look all that bad and is an excellent first attempt.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

rkajdi posted:

Wrong thread. That's a literal child doing his first army if the card behind it is to be believed. Honestly, it doesn't look all that bad and is an excellent first attempt.

There is no child under 15 that would paint these guys like this.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
"Kitten" indicated he's a fan of the "If the Emperor had a Text-to-speech Device" series.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

wdarkk posted:

"Kitten" indicated he's a fan of the "If the Emperor had a Text-to-speech Device" series.

Ok, so maybe he is under 15 then.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

Just 200 per mini!

That's about 20 hours at minimum wage, and if the photos are representative, he's doing something which is display quality, so not an unreasonable expectation.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueryMAh5EzI

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
As an artist that is a fair price which, as an artist, I would never pay.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

DiHK posted:

As an artist that is a fair price which, as an artist, I would never pay.

No one talk about this. The fair price for any good artist to put X hours into a piece is insane. A decent job paying 60k a year is ~ $30/hr, and that's not counting all the benefits. If the artist spends 30hours on a competition piece, who is willing to spend $900 on it? The economics of it doesn't work.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
No. It doesn't work. And that's why I'm a marketing design slave with a decent wage who saves all my funsies projects for free time.

E:content

These windriders are ready for they "shining spear conversion"

DiHK fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 4, 2017

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

DiHK posted:

No. It doesn't work. And that's why I'm a marketing design slave with a decent wage who saves all my funsies projects for free time.

E:content

These windriders are ready for they "shining spear conversion"

:heysexy:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Mugaaz posted:

No one talk about this. The fair price for any good artist to put X hours into a piece is insane. A decent job paying 60k a year is ~ $30/hr, and that's not counting all the benefits. If the artist spends 30hours on a competition piece, who is willing to spend $900 on it? The economics of it doesn't work.

No I get that. I'm an average painter and it takes me ages to get anything finished. They are very well painted, I just can't fathom how anyone justifies paying other people so much money to paint their mass produced plastic mans that cost something like £35 for the set.

But then I don't find this hobby nearly as appealing when you take the painting hobby aspect away, so I dunno.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 4, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It came from GOOOONS!

This is the first of the three miniatures sent to me by Sanford. I discovered a theme amongst them after I started assembly and decided to paint this guy first. The base isn't quite finished, but I think he's ready enough for this thread.

Meet the Crippled Djinn. The glue sealing the ancient blister containing him had long ago withered away and the lone staple holding it shut wasn't enough to keep his arm from escaping. A bit of green-stuff later and he has a perfectly handi-capable stump.

I haven't painted in months, so he's a bit rough, but I think he fits in fine with the thread. Oh, and tonight I got to ask, "What color do I think a yellow genie's nipples would be?"

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Excellent username/post combination.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
those mooscle men are rad

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It Came From Goooooons!

With this next model, the theme should become apparent. It's not that his legs were lost in transit, it's that he never had any. He's floating around in some kind of Hodorless-basket. I'm not sure what he's supposed to be, maybe a knockoff of a DnD monster? But according to the stat card included in his blister, he's a "Soul Tender". Sure, why not.

It's definitely the weirdest thing I've ever painted. Again, the base isn't finished, but oh well, I got excited and wanted to share.

And speaking of knockoff DnD monsters...

No arms, no legs, but a delightfully sculpted anus. Apparently I lost the coin toss and didn't get the tit model. This definitely makes up for it.

And a group shot:

I feel like there must have been a Hong Kong kung-fu movie made about the exploits of these unique and definitely not copyright infringing monsters at some point, probably included in one of those "100 Kung Fu Movies for $10" DVD packs that were popular in the late 00s.

Thanks again to Sanford. This has certainly been a journey.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Atlas Hugged posted:

And speaking of knockoff DnD monsters...

No arms, no legs, but a delightfully sculpted anus. Apparently I lost the coin toss and didn't get the tit model. This definitely makes up for it.

Isn't that just the Cacodemon from Doom? Or was that originally based on a D&D monster as well?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Isn't that just the Cacodemon from Doom? Or was that originally based on a D&D monster as well?

The Beholder goes all the way back to 1975 while the Cacodemon doesn't make its first appearance until 1993. Although apparently the Cacodemon is based on a different one eyed demon from Dungeons and Dragons, the Astral Dreadnought. This creature does in fact have a body, but the Cacodemon is a result of cropping the body out and leaving just the head.

The Reaper "Tyrant of Darkness" (original character do not steal) is way more Beholder than Cacodemon specifically because of the eye stalks.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

Astral Dreadnought

Badass name! Also, I goggled it and holy poo poo, they literally just cropped his body to make the cacodemon.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I tried googling but didn't have any luck. But has anyone painted a Nazi army with an LGBT theme?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yeah Bill Leak

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Synthbuttrange posted:

yeah Bill Leak

That Google search did not turn up an army designed specifically to infuriate Nazis and I am disappointed

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I just realized the genie doesn't have any legs either, which I guess isn't technically a problem for a genie. I'm still baffled by the Soul Tender. What is it supposed to be?

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

yeah Bill Leak

lmao

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just realized the genie doesn't have any legs either, which I guess isn't technically a problem for a genie. I'm still baffled by the Soul Tender. What is it supposed to be?

Ghost pal

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Warhammer Proxies group is something.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

JcDent posted:

Would play against that guy

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

That's honestly kind of an impressive amount of detail considering the medium.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I haven't painted in months, so he's a bit rough, but I think he fits in fine with the thread. Oh, and tonight I got to ask, "What color do I think a yellow genie's nipples would be?"
Purple Nurple

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Atlas Hugged posted:

And a group shot:

Well will you look at that. Good job! I quite like the floating cacodemon thing. And what the gently caress is going on with the purple guy? Ten years those models have sat in a box since another goon sent them to me, and I never once realised they represented a full suite of differently-abled creatures: no legs, one hand, inflamed cloaca. What a celebration of diversity!

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

JcDent posted:

On my phone I thought it was a relic from a sunken ship.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

JcDent posted:

That's some dedication to his craft.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Sanford posted:

Well will you look at that. Good job! I quite like the floating cacodemon thing. And what the gently caress is going on with the purple guy? Ten years those models have sat in a box since another goon sent them to me, and I never once realised they represented a full suite of differently-abled creatures: no legs, one hand, inflamed cloaca. What a celebration of diversity!

Glad you like how they turned out! And here I thought you had hand picked them for a reason.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
How are you doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Paint me like one of your French girls.