Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dahbadu posted:

OK guys, here's a very solid HC-viable build I came up with. I've been streaming it over the last couple of weeks, making my way through Ultimate tackling the most difficult content in the game. I have died a couple of times, but it was mainly from stupid poo poo that I could have avoided. If you want to watch it in action (we beat the final boss last night), with non-cheated sub-par gear, you can check out one of my recorded streams on my twitch. I'll post a full build summary/walkthrough video with an ideal gear setup at a later date.

Drain Essence Sigil of Corruption Apostate

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/q2MAvbm2
Built for and tested in end-game Ashes of Malmouth

Notes:
- Good starter build, as you don't need any specific items -- although the Signet of the Damned rings are nice to have.
- The most important items for this build are Signet of the Damned (rings) and Boneweave Leggings.
- Your main attack is Drain Essence (skill) tied to Twing Fangs (devotion). Your red hand of death will melt faces and make you nigh unkillable.
- Keep a Torment relic ready, and swap it in during fights with the Mad Queen and Beast Nemesis.
- Lots of life leech, enough to leech bosses.
- Good resistance shredding.
- Very tanky with lots of DA, high health, and an insane amount of life leech.
- Can put out a ton of damage, single target and AoE. Good clear speed and boss killing.

What's this build do?
Facetank just about everything all the time. Melt enemies around you, draining *all* their life. The screen will come alive with your procs, sigils and seals -- and this is from you just standing still. Most importantly, you also have Skelebros(tm)!

This build would probably benefit a lot from dropping Inquisitor and subbing in Shaman. Wendigo Totem + Drain Essence would be pretty drat unstopabble and the extra health and regen from Mog's Pact would help a lot too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Hauki posted:

So I was messing around with something similar on grimtools the other day, but I was looking at either Cabalist or Ritualist for curse/sigil/solael's/blood of dreeg or swarm/mogdrogen's/totems as support skills respectively. Is there a specific reason you felt Apostate was stronger than either of those? It seems like both of the others also synergize pretty decently with the gear you're already running.

Stanley Pain posted:

This build would probably benefit a lot from dropping Inquisitor and subbing in Shaman. Wendigo Totem + Drain Essence would be pretty drat unstopabble and the extra health and regen from Mog's Pact would help a lot too.

You could definitely build a strong Necro + Occultist or Necro + Shaman. I picked Apostate because I wanted to explore the new classes.

In terms of what benefit you get from Apostate, you get an insane amount of OA (Deadly Aim), a powerful flat damage absorption skill (Seal), a great proccing skill (Storm Box), along with a good amount of DA/health for relatively little investment.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Next expansion should have a components bag that components automatically get put into on pick up and expands as large as you need it to.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

OhFunny posted:

Next expansion should have a components bag that components automatically get put into on pick up and expands as large as you need it to.

also give me the ability to search my inventory/stash for specific stats, like in PoE. I'm having a lot of fun with this game but the most frustrating part is how slow it is to look through my stash for one specific thing/component/etc especially when I don't have all the icons memorized and have to actually read, or picking up a ton of items then having to mouseover each one to look for the stats I want.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Or the ability to sort items by level requirements.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Let me also use search in devotions

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Jusupov posted:

Let me also use search in devotions

holy poo poo yes this, oh man is it frustrating looking at the big star roadmap to find any given single thing

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

This is what I'm running right now in standard mode, only with siphon souls instead of drain, and it's really powerful; I have a couple of deaths that are mostly environment related (gently caress the conflagration) and one from Marcellus dunking on me harder than I expected, but you could pretty easily go into hardcore and do well:

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/b28qY0GV

Storm totems turn into machine gun turrets with twin fangs attached to it, it's hilarious. Plus late game if you're using the Valguur's set and Howl of the Wendigo you're just constantly chucking out siphon souls that destroy resists in tandem with devouring swarm + rend, and everything has silly amounts of lifesteal. Not having to cart around a torment relic around all the time is also a nice fringe benefit since you get near max leech resist from the set bonuses, though torment is still really good on the build and I used it for a long time.

The only real achilles heel of the build I've run into is that it's a bit starved of OA and stun type resists from natural sources, but that's fairly easy to alleviate through components and augments.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Thanks again for the Grim Goons. Just downloaded them and the instructions to install and re-write names (I used GD Defiler) were *very* clear and helpful. Really glad I don't have to go through the pain of leveling characters through Normal/Elite again. 67 still leaves plenty of room to explore and gear up. :)

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

Thanks again for the Grim Goons. Just downloaded them and the instructions to install and re-write names (I used GD Defiler) were *very* clear and helpful. Really glad I don't have to go through the pain of leveling characters through Normal/Elite again. 67 still leaves plenty of room to explore and gear up. :)

I'm glad it's working for ya. :)

I tried to strike the right balance with the included items, so you're not overpowered/underpowered but can still find upgrades (for whatever build you land on) that you'll get excited about. Tell me if you have any problems or suggestions.

I'd actually like to see more goons using Grim Goon, because it'll put a lot of us around the same level/progression, which should lead to easier grouping. Multi-player is fun and rewarding, and I hope more goons have a chance to utilize it.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I'm finally making my way through the expansion, and I really like it. You finally get to join a bad guy faction, it makes sense within the story, and the faction vendor has some awesome items.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I just found the Conflagration Relic blueprints for my Pyromancer but it requires devil touched ammo which is going to be a bitch to find. I've managed to get one "box" of the stuff but it's already on my gun.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Dahbadu posted:

I'm glad it's working for ya. :)

I tried to strike the right balance with the included items, so you're not overpowered/underpowered but can still find upgrades (for whatever build you land on) that you'll get excited about. Tell me if you have any problems or suggestions.

I'd actually like to see more goons using Grim Goon, because it'll put a lot of us around the same level/progression, which should lead to easier grouping. Multi-player is fun and rewarding, and I hope more goons have a chance to utilize it.

Goon name is my Steam name. Happy to group anytime. :)

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Axetrain posted:

I just found the Conflagration Relic blueprints for my Pyromancer but it requires devil touched ammo which is going to be a bitch to find. I've managed to get one "box" of the stuff but it's already on my gun.

Farm Cronley's Hideout and the mines that surround it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

You could definitely build a strong Necro + Occultist or Necro + Shaman. I picked Apostate because I wanted to explore the new classes.

In terms of what benefit you get from Apostate, you get an insane amount of OA (Deadly Aim), a powerful flat damage absorption skill (Seal), a great proccing skill (Storm Box), along with a good amount of DA/health for relatively little investment.

Out of curiosity, how did you level this? I just went full skeletons until like 30 and tore poo poo up, but when I respecced at that point I took a huge hit in, well, everything. Now that I'm closer to 35 and have ~15 devos it's picking back up, but I'm wondering if I either swapped too early or just misprioritized skills or gear or whatever when I did the respec.

fake edit: i'm actually ritualist for whatever that's worth

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
hello hi

i am new to this game and i am using Grim Goon to catch up with a couple of friends who are level ~70 or so

i played for a good 5 hours on a new character to get a feel for the game and figure out what i wanted to do. demolitionist looked amazing because blowing poo poo up is awesome, and inquisitor seems to be a pretty awesome thematic similarity. this apparently makes me a purifier?

so i've been trying to figure out what makes a good purifier and the answer on the internut appears to be "¯\_(ツ)_/¯" so i am wondering if the fine friendly goons of this dead gay internet forum have any better ideas. i wish to use a gun and apparently that means dual wielding pistols to be not terrible but i am very pleased to use a rifle if this makes more sense.

thank you very kindly in advance for your wisdoms!

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 2, 2017

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Well I beat the main game + expansion, and now that I beat it once at least I installed grim goon. How can I change the names though, I guess it isn't a big deal but I'd like to be able to customize them.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Axetrain posted:

Well I beat the main game + expansion, and now that I beat it once at least I installed grim goon. How can I change the names though, I guess it isn't a big deal but I'd like to be able to customize them.

There're a few programs in the OP that will do it. While the OP refers you to Grim Stash, that requires a Java installation and I'm either paranoid or lazy about Java depending on the day. I use GD Defiler which will let you rename pretty easily and jigger around with a few other stats as well (although I don't bother with that).

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Also, I toyed around with my first Grim Goon tonight and made an Inquisitor/Arcanist. Goodness, starting with a Flash Freeze and then Word of Paining everything in the room and then dropping Runes and Seals on the frozen while Elemental Seeker, Fissure, and Elemental Storm proc off the lot is ridiculous. It turns my screen into a fireworks display of effects and does most of the work for me. Really enjoying being able to explore this without grinding the first 66 levels. Cheers. :)

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

inscrutable horse posted:

Or the ability to sort items by level requirements.

when I'm hovering over the weapon to highlight useable components in my stash don't👏put👏the👏tooltip👏over👏the stash👏

(someone's gonna tell me alt or whatever hides this...)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Should I be modding my equipment as I level up, or hoard all this stuff and use it when my progress evens out a bit? I'm level 25 and my inventory is flooded with claws, fur and other shiny trinkets, but I'm stuck in that "oh god what if I need it later" mindset - even with knowing I can remove it from stuff it's slotted into.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Just use it them. Its occasionally annoying when you're short a mark of the traveller or a rift stone but there's no shame (and not enough space) in breaking up all your green stuff and frankly most of your blues once you outlevel them. Missing pieces will flood back in after a few hours regular play.

ama about spending all my money on a yellow spectral sword

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Nov 2, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Chop Sunni posted:

when I'm hovering over the weapon to highlight useable components in my stash don't👏put👏the👏tooltip👏over👏the stash👏

(someone's gonna tell me alt or whatever hides this...)

Ctrl, actually. Just for those who don’t realize.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

Ctrl, actually. Just for those who don’t realize.

gently caress

thank you very much

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It'd be nice if the window just faced the opposite direction but that works.

edit: Of course, then it would overlap the backpack instead, so... Really it's just a better door than a window no matter where it is.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

Chop Sunni posted:

gently caress

thank you very much

I have a disgusting amount of hours in this game and never knew this. :suicide:

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Coolguye posted:

hello hi

i am new to this game and i am using Grim Goon to catch up with a couple of friends who are level ~70 or so

i played for a good 5 hours on a new character to get a feel for the game and figure out what i wanted to do. demolitionist looked amazing because blowing poo poo up is awesome, and inquisitor seems to be a pretty awesome thematic similarity. this apparently makes me a purifier?

so i've been trying to figure out what makes a good purifier and the answer on the internut appears to be "¯\_(ツ)_/¯" so i am wondering if the fine friendly goons of this dead gay internet forum have any better ideas. i wish to use a gun and apparently that means dual wielding pistols to be not terrible but i am very pleased to use a rifle if this makes more sense.

thank you very kindly in advance for your wisdoms!

Here's a pretty fine Level 75 Build for a Purifier.

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/Q2zb3Md2

When you gain more levels, the skill points should do this:

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/O2GW9xG2

This has some very easy to get gear if you ask around for it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Axetrain posted:

Get on the Grim Dawn Goons discord and I can hook you up, I have 50+ of those things.

I also have a lv56 cabalist I'm leveling, if anyone wants to join me I am generally chilling in there after work. Just about to go into SoT on elite for the various "kill that dude on the third floor" quests.

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

I have a disgusting amount of hours in this game and never knew this. :suicide:
Oh man, don't ask how long I went not knowing you can use the scroll wheel on item tooltips. :suicide:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

ssmagus posted:

That looks like a pretty solid build, to be honest. You may consider increasing your WPS skills (those Inquisitor skills that proc off of default attacks) so they hit the 20% breakpoints.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Hauki posted:

Out of curiosity, how did you level this? I just went full skeletons until like 30 and tore poo poo up, but when I respecced at that point I took a huge hit in, well, everything. Now that I'm closer to 35 and have ~15 devos it's picking back up, but I'm wondering if I either swapped too early or just misprioritized skills or gear or whatever when I did the respec.

fake edit: i'm actually ritualist for whatever that's worth

You probably want to shoot for something like this: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/D2pJpGJZ

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So. The expansion has a new Ultimate Difficulty Only Secret Quest.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ssmagus posted:

ty sir i will give this 1x shot

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

So. The expansion has a new Ultimate Difficulty Only Secret Quest.

Yes, it's pretty cool.

Here's the guide for it: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1172507753

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I present to you An Art. I call it "oh COME ON!"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Coolguye posted:

ty sir i will give this 1x shot

trip report: at level 67 with gear consisting mostly of "poo poo we pulled out of one guy's stash and what was on Grim Goon to start" i rolled to crucible level 100 with a guy who was level 75 and i felt useful and helpful the entire time despite the level deficit.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Coolguye posted:

trip report: at level 67 with gear consisting mostly of "poo poo we pulled out of one guy's stash and what was on Grim Goon to start" i rolled to crucible level 100 with a guy who was level 75 and i felt useful and helpful the entire time despite the level deficit.

Baller. With that class combo you can also do a "making poo poo explode like holy poo poo bro" build which focuses on firing off lots of long-ish cooldown skills like a loving crazy bomber rather than holding auto-attack. This is an :effort: template you could flesh out that emphasizes fire damage with quite a bit of lightning, to boot: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/xZyD7JmV

Note that if you get Mortar Trap to one point over the normal max you can drop TWO of them and they basically gently caress poo poo up like drat. Otherwise, you're probably not going to want to focus on getting skills way overleveled. This might not be "end game" viable, but it's certainly "fun as hell" viable.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
so I started to notice that my Floor is Lava build was putting up elemental seals/storms in like, places I did not physically have access to attack

from what I can tell, those two skills proc off of Brimstone fragments from Fire Strike?? so a 25% chance on each of 6 fragments per shot

which is INSANE

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 3, 2017

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ol Standard Retard posted:

so I started to notice that my Floor is Lava build was putting up elemental seals/storms in like, places I did not physically have access to attack

from what I can tell, those two skills proc off of Brimstone fragments from Fire Strike?? so a 25% chance on each of 6 fragments per shot

which is INSANE

Haha, yes, I've had Elemental Storm bound to fire strike and basically the entire screen ends up filled with swirling death. It's glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

docbeard posted:

Haha, yes, I've had Elemental Storm bound to fire strike and basically the entire screen ends up filled with swirling death. It's glorious.
I have Aetherfire bound to Curse of Frailty and sometimes the screen just turns teal with procs of a whole pack of mobs getting tagged and nuked.

Which is terrifying when you're fighting aetherials until you realize "oh wait, that's my fire!" and watch your skeletons beat the aether resist out of them. :black101: