Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Scrolled past this quickly and misread it as would and got confused for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Iirc the judge specifically said in sentencing that they considered Trump's comments as a reason to reduce it lol

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

DoktorLoken posted:

So what's the likelihood that he gets his sentence reduced (BCD/OTH instead of dishonorable, etc.) because of UCI? I've already got people on FB frothing about this.

That depends on how much lawyer five years of tax free combat back pay buys you, I'd guess.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I bet the reason we found out about the indictments at all is because Boente reported up the chain that they were coming which led to the subsequent shitcanning and leak to the media. Nothing has leaked before. This news comes out immediately after Sessions fires the guy that signed off on it.

The moment something hits Sessions desk we learn about it.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 3, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Apparently a lot of Republican committee heads in the house are retiring this year. Like a lot.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.e9a5b8447c6b

Most of them are doing so because their term limit is up and they're scared of being just another face in the crowd if they lose control of the house next year.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Ceiling fan posted:

The no healthcare thing is the only part that bothers me. He didn't roll over under tourtre and made genuine attempts to escape. He met those obligations, and I think he's owed healthcare support for it. That's beside the point that the Army took his warm body even though the Coast Guard knew he shouldn't have gone in.

I'm not going start a campaign or anything. Lots of people have been screwed over harder for doing a lot less. I just don't think this part is fair, and hope an appeal goes through.

That's where I'm at too. He's an idiot, but he was tortured pretty badly and probably is going to need long term care (mental and physical) to deal with that. Otherwise fine with a big chicken dinner.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

DoktorLoken posted:

So what's the likelihood that he gets his sentence reduced (BCD/OTH instead of dishonorable, etc.) because of UCI? I've already got people on FB frothing about this.

Really small. There will be several opportunities, but I doubt any will result in a change.

FAUXTON posted:

Iirc the judge specifically said in sentencing that they considered Trump's comments as a reason to reduce it lol
I think it was the defense who cited UCI. The judge didn't comment other than to announce the sentence.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I bet the reason we found out about the indictments at all is because Boente reported up the chain that they were coming which led to the subsequent shitcanning and leak to the media. Nothing has leaked before. This news comes out immediately after Sessions fires the guy that signed off on it.

The moment something hits Sessions desk we learn about it.

The indictment came from Mueller's office and was filed in the DC district court, not the Eastern District of VA, where Boente is/was the USA.

Crakkerjakk posted:

That's where I'm at too. He's an idiot, but he was tortured pretty badly and probably is going to need long term care (mental and physical) to deal with that. Otherwise fine with a big chicken dinner.

I think the desertion conviction at a GCM bones him however you look at it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

joat mon posted:

Really small. There will be several opportunities, but I doubt any will result in a change.

I think it was the defense who cited UCI. The judge didn't comment other than to announce the sentence.

The indictment came from Mueller's office and was filed in the DC district court, not the Eastern District of VA, where Boente is/was the USA.

I think the desertion conviction at a GCM bones him however you look at it.

Ah, i misread. His office was just where the GJ subpoenas came from, right?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

joat mon posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/30/us/bowe-bergdahl-search-attack.html

I stand corrected, it wasn't in the sentencing, it was an earlier statement:

quote:

“I will consider the president’s comments as mitigation evidence as I arrive at an appropriate sentence,” the judge, Col. Jeffery R. Nance of the Army, said during a hearing at Fort Bragg. The judge is expected to sentence Sergeant Bergdahl in the next few weeks.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Another way to look at the house resolution is 'how much of a trumpster are you REALLY'. If you're still onboard the trump train you'll sign it.

When nobody touches it, not only will Trump's already weak power in the house evaporate some more, but it'll be a signal fire to moderate/establishment republicans that are deciding how hard to push against the administration.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ah, i misread. His office was just where the GJ subpoenas came from, right?

The Eastern District of VA already had a grand jury up and running that E.D.Va prosecutors were already using for similar purposes when Mueller was appointed, which Mueller also used. Mueller also began using a grand jury in the DC district in July.

FAUXTON posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/30/us/bowe-bergdahl-search-attack.html

quote:

“I will consider the president’s comments as mitigation evidence as I arrive at an appropriate sentence,” the judge, Col. Jeffery R. Nance of the Army, said during a hearing at Fort Bragg. The judge is expected to sentence Sergeant Bergdahl in the next few weeks.

I stand corrected, it wasn't in the sentencing, it was an earlier statement:
You got the important part, that the MJ mentioned it, which I missed. I don't think the UCI argument is going to get very far. The need for VA benefits resulting from 5 years of captivity is going to be a much better argument for BCMR.

VVVVVVVVV
Found a copy of the resolution

quote:

[Uranium One]
Whereas these obvious conflicts of interest are unacceptable to the United States justice system and the American people:
Now, therefore, be it Resolved,
That House of Representatives expresses its sense that Robert Mueller is compromised and should resign from his special counsel position immediately.
VVVVVVVVV

joat mon fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 3, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

Another way to look at the house resolution is 'how much of a trumpster are you REALLY'. If you're still onboard the trump train you'll sign it.

When nobody touches it, not only will Trump's already weak power in the house evaporate some more, but it'll be a signal fire to moderate/establishment republicans that are deciding how hard to push against the administration.

What resolution

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

cowboy elvis posted:

What resolution

Three jackasses from the house signed a resolution calling for mueller to be fired because he was head of the FBI when the uranium deal was signed.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Three jackasses from the house signed a resolution calling for mueller to be fired because he was head of the FBI when the uranium deal was signed.

When's that get voted on?

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

That Works posted:

When's that get voted on?

When the speaker schedules it (I.e. never) or when two thirds of the House signs a discharge petition.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Vasudus posted:

For that reason I hope it makes it to a vote.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

I LOVE COCK SALAD posted:

gently caress helicopters.

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces and controls working in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying immediately and disastrously. There is no such thing as a gliding helicopter. This is why being a helicopter pilot is so different from being an airplane pilot and why, in general, airplane pilots are open, clear eyed, buoyant extroverts, and helicopter pilots are brooders, introspective anticipators of trouble. They know that if something bad has not happened, it is about to.

Harry Reasoner, February 16, 1971
ABC Evening News during the Viet Nam War

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I want the dems to play gently caress gently caress games and sign that discharge petition to get it on the floor. Make motherfuckers sign their name on to the loyalty tests and split the Republicans.

This isn't house of cards tho, so it would be dumber than anything I can imagine or fizzle out when the piss tape gets released.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Looks like The Facebook Veteran Outrage Brigade just got activated for the weekend.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Looks like The Facebook Veteran Outrage Brigade just got activated for the weekend.

Links please

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Looks like The Facebook Veteran Snowflake Outrage Brigade just got triggered for the weekend.

ftfy

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Is it over the Antifa Revolution tomorrow, NFL kneeling, or week advance for Veteran's (Remembrance) Day outrage?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Just look at the comments on any Bergdahl story you can find.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Is it over the Antifa Revolution tomorrow, NFL kneeling, or week advance for Veteran's (Remembrance) Day outrage?

Bergdahl not getting executed/life in prison.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Of course, him not being shot immediately at sentencing by the Judge was a real travesty of American justice

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

DoktorLoken posted:

ITS TIME FOR SOME OLD FASHIONED STREET JUSTICE.

I’ve seen at least two people publicly call for him to be murdered.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I don't know what yall were expecting. Bergdahl is an easy target for discontent hatred for the forever war. Getting killed while pointlessly walking around the desert due to an idiot is a pretty good analogy for the entire war

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I don't know what yall were expecting. Bergdahl is an easy target for discontent hatred for the forever war. Getting killed while pointlessly walking around the desert due to an idiot is a pretty good analogy for the entire war

Thanks GWB

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Now please come back. I didn't mean those things, I was in an angry place about the Florida recount.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
This fuckin' guy

This fuckin' guy, man.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/926541760020516865

https://twitter.com/Marshall_Cohen/status/926546229579874306

I mean, Carter Page is a monumental doofus, so I don't know how well you can use his word in an actual court of law. It would be hilarious if people go down just because he can't shut up.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/source-who-is-being-examined-by-special-counsel-its-every-man-for-himself/

quote:

One source whose actions during the 2016 election are being examined by the special counsel's office and who is reluctant to talk publicly tells CBS News, "It's every man for himself."

:bisonyes:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

redneck nazgul posted:

There's a difference.

Vietnam wasn't winnable in the first place because we allowed the media there and Jane Fonda sabotaged everything. Afghanistan was winnable until Obama traded all of our PoWs for Bergdahl and then let him walk free.

I can't tell if this is tongue-in-cheek or not

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

:piss:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

my kinda ape posted:

I can't tell if this is tongue-in-cheek or not

My man let me tell you about this little lady named jane who laid low the entire military industrial complex

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/358655-federal-report-blames-humans-for-global-warming-and-its-effects
https://science2017.globalchange.gov/

The final version of that federally-funded climate change study came out. Pretty much the same stuff that was in the draft version from August, but still worth a read before someone in Washington wakes up and makes them take it down. Or maybe not! From the article:

quote:

Fahey told reporters that there was no political interference in the assessment released Friday, though he conceded that some on the team had feared it would happen.

"Of course there are perhaps fears. We’re all citizens and scientists at the same time. But I think whatever fears we had weren’t realized," Fahey said.

"The word ‘interference’ might have been a threat, but it never materialized. This report says what the scientists wanted it to say."

On the other hand, this report was the brainchild of NASA, NOAA and the Department of Energy. The administrator seats for NASA and NOAA are still empty and DoE is headed by Rick Perry, so maybe just nobody in the administration was tracking this report or realized they could interfere?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
"Incompetence not malice" is a really safe bet with this administration.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Prop Wash posted:

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/358655-federal-report-blames-humans-for-global-warming-and-its-effects
https://science2017.globalchange.gov/

The final version of that federally-funded climate change study came out. Pretty much the same stuff that was in the draft version from August, but still worth a read before someone in Washington wakes up and makes them take it down. Or maybe not! From the article:

On the other hand, this report was the brainchild of NASA, NOAA and the Department of Energy. The administrator seats for NASA and NOAA are still empty and DoE is headed by Rick Perry, so maybe just nobody in the administration was tracking this report or realized they could interfere?

They can let them say whatever they want. If they put people like Pruitt in charge of other agencies then it doesn't matter. We recently just dodged a bullet of Clovis being a chief science officer despite not even being a scientist, so expect more of that to happen.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kawasaki Nun posted:

My man let me tell you about this little lady named jane who laid low the entire military industrial complex

This came across my wall about a week ago

https://www.facebook.com/Breitbart/videos/10160010077655354/

Sorry to link a facebook vid from breitbart, but :effort:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MAY 2018, OVAL OFFICE, DAY
PAUL RYAN enters to meet with DONALD TRUMP

RYAN: "What can I do for you Mr. President?"

TRUMP: "Sit right here Paul, right in the big chair."

RYAN: "Oh wow, really? You think I'm ready?"

TRUMP: "Absolutely. You can be the President for the next fifteen minutes while I run out to get a pack of smokes. You...you be a good boy now."

TRUMP pats RYAN on the head fatherly, and walks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Now please come back. I didn't mean those things, I was in an angry place about the Florida recount.

Why? You want a war with Iran as well?

• Locked thread