Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
yeah our Chop always seemed pretty happy. He was an ex-nuke ELT who got a commission somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Dingleberry posted:

Merchant ship story;

Wa on a ro-ro with loving terrible stewards and chief cook. They would put a tray of cold cuts in the fridge every night for the late watches. But they would not change out cold cuts, just add to them, therefore tray of rancid cold cuts sat in fridge for days and days. An AB took the tray one day and thru it overboard. The cook was pissed because he used his "nice" silver platter.
I lost 20 lbs in under 90 days on that thing. First port that I had time to eat was in Morocco... I ate like I'd never eat again.
Also, the cook would take spoiled milk and mix it with fresh milk in pitchers for the crew to use, to make it go further.
No one used milk until we got restocked with ultrapasturized goat milk in Kuwait.
I developed a complex lasting years that every time i went to a new boat I'd no poo poo bring like $500 bucks worth of cliff bars, meal replacement shakes, etc to make sure I wasn't gonna starve.

Jesus christ the health violations here

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I still have a hard time eating cake because of some run ins with rotten or moldy desserts.

Cheesecake is fine, but spongy cake topped with frosting, I've got to psych myself up to take the first bite.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

ded posted:

If you want a Navy career that will not make you want to shoot yourself in the face, be a supply officer.

Word? What's the reason there? I've seen that CECs are supposed to keep lots of supplies stocked if they work in overseas bases

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I want to shoot the only Navy supply officer I've ever met in the face. Among the most worthless human beings I've ever encountered.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Godholio posted:

I want to shoot the only Navy supply officer I've ever met in the face. Among the most worthless human beings I've ever encountered.

Billzasilver, you too can work so little and be so lazy while getting paid that people hate you to this degree!

Do you know how lazy and worthless you have to be to endear that sort of response? Like literal lounge around on the Navy's dime for four straight years lazy.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Join the Air Force.

PM me about the Naval Construction Force. I can probably get a CEC officer to talk to you if you are hellbent

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 2, 2017

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Idk how you got probated 1 minute after posting that, and I don't have PMs, but I'd love to talk with the construction guy if possible. Lmk if you're comfortable sending emails when you uh.. get back.

Godholio posted:

Oh I absolutely want to hear more about this person. Did they feed off the hate and grow stronger

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

No. But I've never seen an O-2 trying to glide into retirement before. Just lazy, outright lies to people, told the O-6 deputy commander that his approval for a purchase order wasn't sufficient, that kind of poo poo.

Edit: He's not probated, that's his av.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Give me an email and I'll contact you. I'm deployed and it is a bitch getting to my .mil, can't promise I can raise anyone but will give it a go

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

That sounds awesome, thank you. You can try me at SilverBellWorldwide@gmail.com, and if it doesn't work, even knowing how often you interact with the construction force would help me get a good idea of what it's like

Godholio posted:

No. But I've never seen an O-2 trying to glide into retirement before. Just lazy, outright lies to people, told the O-6 deputy commander that his approval for a purchase order wasn't sufficient, that kind of poo poo.

Edit: He's not probated, that's his av.

Sounds like a con artist, I'm impressed :allears:

If he only made you almost want to shoot him in the face, he'd have done his job perfectly.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Billzasilver posted:

Word? What's the reason there? I've seen that CECs are supposed to keep lots of supplies stocked if they work in overseas bases

They don't actually have to keep poo poo stocked. The enlisted guys take care of everything. The CHOP just takes care of paperwork and approves/disapproves poo poo. Some of them get bored and qualify Diving Officer on subs. The one on my boat was the worst loving dive ever.

Supply is easy loving street.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Reading the report and seeing the names of my seven sailors and where they found them was incredibly difficult. To me it read a lot like the initial Line of Duty report, but that had excluded names and most of the locations if I remember right. There's a lot more detail, and if you look carefully, you can see where the steel of the ship is bent in at almost a 90 degree angle from where the bulb hit. I was really surprised that they didn't omit those like they had in the LoD.

As for what happened on the bridge: I have a better idea of what occurred than I did a few months ago, but I can't talk about it. I'm sure anyone that's a SWO or a critical CIC or Bridge watchstander has already sat through a brief recently and maybe you thought "That will never be me." I loving hope that you all take that to heart and you communicate constantly with your other watchstations.

As for awards: Comms all around. There still might be a few more that come out, but that's what the majority of us received. I'm sure most of you saw the article on Navy Times about it. I have nothing more to add.

As for the McCain report: Holy poo poo. That one will take a while to process. Everything that happened on the bridge is just staggering.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

How are you doing though?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The JSM situation was one where the error chain started with the CO. The collision is 100% on him and his hubris. There were failures after, but I can't blame an inexperienced helm trying to deal with the chaos of the SoM.

The FTZ, though, I agree with MML upsets me more because in this case it was a couple of officers and half a dozen sailors dicking around all watch long. Yes there were a lot of reasons for that watch team to be stressed and tired and their nav didn't do them any favors by crossing the traffic separation scheme, but that still doesn't excuse you from not looking out the starboard bridgewing for hours. Everyone except maybe the helm should be on their way out of the service, in my opinion.

I'm hope the crew of both ships are recovering from the loss of their shipmates, and hopefully these incidents will be a wakeup call for people up top.

Once again TVS, you did amazing, thank you for saving the ship and lives of a couple hundred sailors.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 2, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^That, a hundred times over.

Billzasilver posted:

That sounds awesome, thank you. You can try me at SilverBellWorldwide@gmail.com, and if it doesn't work, even knowing how often you interact with the construction force would help me get a good idea of what it's like

Sounds like a con artist, I'm impressed :allears:

If he only made you almost want to shoot him in the face, he'd have done his job perfectly.

If we hadn't actually lost $100,000 in discretionary funding which we were using to buy the PPE we've been operating without for like 7 years, it would've been almost. He's not getting a good fitrep out of here, I know that much.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
CEC chat: I genuinely wonder how hard up they are for people. They must have been desperate, because immediately after my time at OCS I know they commissioned an autistic guy. Not kind of on the spectrum probably maybe, more like if you spent about 5 minutes talking to him you knew something was not right with him. He was bizarre and universally reviled, I can't imagine how his people are dealing with him now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Red Crown posted:

CEC chat: I genuinely wonder how hard up they are for people. They must have been desperate, because immediately after my time at OCS I know they commissioned an autistic guy. Not kind of on the spectrum probably maybe, more like if you spent about 5 minutes talking to him you knew something was not right with him. He was bizarre and universally reviled, I can't imagine how his people are dealing with him now.

When an age of sail crew wanted to express their unhappiness with an officer they use to bust the line holding the cannonballs in place to let it roll around late at night in the path of the officers.
Shotrolling ships were unhappy ships.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Just a note, this summary says that aft steering was unmanned, but the actual report states that just prior to the collision, aft steering was able to regain control.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just a note, this summary says that aft steering was unmanned, but the actual report states that just prior to the collision, aft steering was able to regain control.

I'm guessing that someone was called to man aft steering or the dinguses in the pilothouse took control back on the bridge. That article was poorly worded, and you can tell the guy that wrote it didn't really have an understanding of the way the helm consoles work.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Yeah almost certainly as soon as they thought they had a loss of steering someone was screaming on the 1MC to man After Steering though they cocked up everything else so much maybe they didn't.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

The Valley Stared posted:

Reading the report and seeing the names of my seven sailors and where they found them was incredibly difficult. To me it read a lot like the initial Line of Duty report, but that had excluded names and most of the locations if I remember right. There's a lot more detail, and if you look carefully, you can see where the steel of the ship is bent in at almost a 90 degree angle from where the bulb hit. I was really surprised that they didn't omit those like they had in the LoD.

As for what happened on the bridge: I have a better idea of what occurred than I did a few months ago, but I can't talk about it. I'm sure anyone that's a SWO or a critical CIC or Bridge watchstander has already sat through a brief recently and maybe you thought "That will never be me." I loving hope that you all take that to heart and you communicate constantly with your other watchstations.

As for awards: Comms all around. There still might be a few more that come out, but that's what the majority of us received. I'm sure most of you saw the article on Navy Times about it. I have nothing more to add.

As for the McCain report: Holy poo poo. That one will take a while to process. Everything that happened on the bridge is just staggering.

The story of the guy who escaped out of the Starboard scuttle, seeing the sketches he drew, and reading about how all of the seven people were found was soul crushing.

I wonder if the sailor who was found locked in the bathroom had only gone there because it was the last remaining pocket of air and he couldn't swim out because of the current pushing against him. Can you imagine? Sitting there, waiting for death like that...

And with the McCain story -- their Berthing was crushed from 15ft to 5ft, and even the deck above them had people stuck in their bunks. They didn't provide any information about the dead sailors for that report like they did for the Fitzgerald. I wonder if the people on the McCain were all stuck and crushed in their bunks, alone to just lie there and drown together, struggling to break free.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 3, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Collisions and flooding are loving nightmare fuel if you are or were a sailor.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

Approx. 0520 Supervisory watch stations reported that the Automated Identification System
(AIS) representation of contacts was cluttered and “useless.” Commercial
traffic routinely reports positions via this system, enabling other vessels to use
Global Positioning System (GPS) satellite information to accurately determine
their positions.

As one of the guys who helped install that system, I feel like a turd.

Edit:
Here's the actual report if it hasn't been posted
http://s3.amazonaws.com/CHINFO/USS+Fitzgerald+and+USS+John+S+McCain+Collision+Reports.pdf

It's really bumming me out to imagine all the spaces that I used to hang out in completely flooded.
It really doesn't feel like that long ago that I was hanging out under the escape trunk in the IC Gyro room, playing Space Empires 2. We had a movie server back there that we'd play Firefly and Weeds on channel 19 (I think).

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 3, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Same.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

ded posted:

If you want a Navy career that will not make you want to shoot yourself in the face, be a supply officer.

You spelled aviation wrong.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I know plenty of flyers who want to shoot themselves in the face.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ded posted:

They don't actually have to keep poo poo stocked. The enlisted guys take care of everything. The CHOP just takes care of paperwork and approves/disapproves poo poo. Some of them get bored and qualify Diving Officer on subs. The one on my boat was the worst loving dive ever.

Supply is easy loving street.

The SuppOs on Amphibs own all of the staterooms both blue and green. Every time we offload Marines our supply spend the entire time we are back home trying to keep sailors on duty from dropping phantom deuces in shitters or on the floor. The space will go a month before it hits zones again and by then it's so foul no one wants to touch it. Of course it's some poor supply E-3 that winds up scrubbing everything out before we bring Marines on again so actually I guess SuppO isn't all that terrible.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Godholio posted:

I know plenty of flyers who want to shoot themselves in the face.

This is the Navy thread, not the Air Force one.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Yeah, never had any intention whatsoever of joining the chair force. Or the Marines, though I have several cousins in the Marines. I pretty much know navy would be the best fit for me, with army and nat guard as distant second choices

So I take it most of the people here are enlisted, and you rarely ever meet with CEC officers?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I think the ratio skews pretty evenly.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

This is the Navy thread, not the Air Force one.

From most of the people I work with, it sounds like you guys are heading down the same path, maybe a decade or so behind. The problem already exists among contractors and GSes out here. You wouldn't think a facility in Nevada could sink, but WELP. It's interesting to watch.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

ded posted:

I used to be jealous of those dudes but on a DDG it seemed like the supply ensigns were just divos for less motivated sailors who stood HCO instead of OOD. Having any responsibility over cash also sounds terrible. Maybe it gets better after that ensign part idk

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Godholio posted:

From most of the people I work with, it sounds like you guys are heading down the same path, maybe a decade or so behind. The problem already exists among contractors and GSes out here. You wouldn't think a facility in Nevada could sink, but WELP. It's interesting to watch.

It's hard for me to ever imagine someone in a squadron hating their life that much. But I will say I have noticed that the level of general disgruntlement among aviators has definitely grown since I've been in.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Billzasilver posted:

Yeah, never had any intention whatsoever of joining the chair force. Or the Marines, though I have several cousins in the Marines. I pretty much know navy would be the best fit for me, with army and nat guard as distant second choices

Based on your extensive knowledge of the Navy I'm sure.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
I'm still amazed I made it out of Seventh fleet scar free both physically and mentally, given the sheer amount of things that could and should have gone wrong on my ship. Then I came to California and got stuck on a CRP casualty prone destroyer that still somehow never crashed or made headlines due to combat watch standers falling asleep or bridge teams not understanding how the SCC-PACC-AFT steering systems work.

I guess that was my reward for being a GSM :iiam:

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Billzasilver posted:

chair force.

That's our words

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I finally got done reading the fitz/mccain reports and holy loving poo poo.
I hate deckies regardless but that was some next level idiocy

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

I hate deckies regardless but that was some next level idiocy

I think we've already established that SWOs =/= deckies, and btw we hate you too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Enjoy your cold showers for the next month t:mad:t