Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Whatever your opinion on Brazille and her book can we at least all agree her deliberately lovely timing is not doing the upcoming elections any favors? The conversation wouldn't be so heated if it wasn't such a poorly time publicity stunt at the expense of potential elections and giving Trump something to yell about instead of current events.

Dog tax:

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ClancyEverafter posted:

It'd be a lot easier, I understand, if you could convince yourself that we don't agree on probably 90-95% of our policy goals and ideological positions, because then I and the other folks who are riding this hobby horse could just be wackos, rather than people much like you who care about something you are really mad about.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/925834092175855616

Congratulations, you are Trump.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Answer my forum post questions, you coward!!!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Retro42 posted:

Whatever your opinion on Brazille and her book can we at least all agree her deliberately lovely timing is not doing the upcoming elections any favors? The conversation wouldn't be so heated if it wasn't such a poorly time publicity stunt at the expense of potential elections and giving Trump something to yell about instead of current events.

Irrespective of whether or not she’s telling the truth, this is the entire reason for her doing it now. Maximum exposure means maximum book sales.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

I have studied several strategy games over the past couple decades but only started tooling around with Go over the past year or so. Its a fantastically expressive game and one of the most amazing things about it to me has been that despite my relatively low skill level (17kyu on OGS) there are still very distinct playstyles tied to national orgigin. Although obviously not very single Go player ascribes perfectly to these patterns I nonethless notice clear trends in players taht have been both a delight to study and learn to exploit.

Japanese players for example favor a very balanced approach, they seek moves that accomplish both a moderate amount of attack and defense. When a good opportunity appears they try to make a single powerful strike that swings the game in their favor and then switch to defense mode to hold on to their lead. Chinese players by comparison are some Crouching Tiger; Hidden Dragon motherfuckers and come strait at you doing flowery backflips and poo poo. They relentlessly probe you for weak points and if you accept an engagement on their terms you are going to get hurt. Scandanavian players by comparison are mostly what I call "Math Vikings". A Scandinavian player starts out all beep-boop mathematically optimized moves until they are either clearly ahead or behind, at which point they activate the Thor's Bloodlust tesuji and start a massive fight that ends in a game-deciding liberty race.

American players by comparison tend to try wild experiments during the early-midgame and/or activate the Wyatt Earp tesuji and cowboy it up by playing all over the board when it becomes clear they are behind. Successful uses of thee Wyatt Earp tesuji have been known to cause Japanese/Korean players to very politely grumble about the "chance tesuji ruining true Go".

I've never been more interested in Go in my life :swoon:

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

boner confessor posted:

uh excuse me are you workshopping your pirate rap mixtape itt

I'm a producer, so I don't rap, I'm just the dude going YEAH, DO IT TO 'EM, and WHY DIDN'T YOUR PAYPAL COME THRU in the background

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

anti abortion language snuck into tax bill

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Yep that'll sure win over such critical votes from Collins and Murkowski.

Republicans are so laughably stupid.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pretty sure this isn't going to hold up in court

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

If it helps this is actually the best fried chicken (wings) recipe:
https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/easy-dakgangjeong

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

7c Nickel posted:

She conflated two separate agreements in order to sell her book because certain people can't orgasm without screaming about Clinton.

As for 3, Hillary and Bernie signed the same primary agreement which didn't have any of the control aspects to it. She raised 500 some odd million. Half went to the states, a quart to her and a quarter to the DNC. Bernie raised 1000 dollars. Bernie didn't sign the 2nd agreement because he lost.

And sure, :toxx: that the 2015 agreement doesn't have all that poo poo in it.

And the explanation is that the agreement that gave Clinton camp extensive control over internal DNC workings was signed after she won the primary, and thus was normal functional stuff for a presidential campaign to take over after winning?

Because it would seem, reading that article, that if that was the case, then Brazile was straight up lying, and also basically publicly quitting any role in the DNC ever again, right? That would be extremely dishonest, if the conflation you're ascribing to her worked the way you laid it out.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Uglycat posted:

https://www.facebook.com/events/341522882972612/

I have the opportunity to attend this. The Refuse Fascism folk have been at almost every leg of my journey over the last year or so - at the RNC, the DNC, and at the Inauguration. It seems like a cult. I think they're connected to RevCom? Definitely saw them outside the Deploraball on J19, and one of 'em handed a friend of mine one of those small clicking magnet things - and mentioned under his breath that it makes a good missile. I don't know who this group is, or what their motives is. I've gotten much closer to the Medicine Tribe - a group that has also been at all of those locations, /plus/ Standing Rock (Sacred Stone, mostly). Right now, I'm camping at the base of a mountain occupied by some OG Zuccotti occupiers (one of whom is also in the Medicine Tribe Family, and whose bus I'd been travelling on for a few months). When I first met the Medicine Tribe, at a house outside of Columbus, OH, as we prepared to caravan into Philly for the DNC... Shieleen Woodley was with them. And she wouldn't let me organize the people in the back yard into a General Assembly. And she kept talking about 'The Mothership', the opaque decision making body behind that particular caravan.

Just some landscape to be aware of.

Bob Avakian is leading a relatively low-compaction Narrativist cult that is left oriented, and that is who is the organizing force behind the November 4th protests. They are relatively low-compaction and not actively compacting because the insanity of the Trump administration actually conforms quite nicely with their Inner narrative. This enables them to expand and absorb non-Narrativist new members.

In reality this is actually two groups of Narrativists screaming at each other- the Avakian cult (and a few clueless me-too's) on one side and a sizable portion of the Trumpstaffel on the other. Avakian's group is Narrativists and their protest are designed to appeal to Narrativists, which is why the right wing Narrativists are choosing it as their exemplar of the entire left. I would argue that you can see the difference in the level of penetration of Narrativism by contrasting these two groups at present- Avakian's cult is still almost unknown and the Noveber 4th meme they have inadvertently sparked is much more well known than they are at this point whereas Fox News is currently mainstreaming Alex Jones to their aging and credulous audiance.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
I'm not YourBoyFancy, but we interrupt this discussion to bring you some data from Virginia!

https://mobile.twitter.com/ElectProject/status/926222450836361216

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Does an un-fertilised egg in the womb count? What about sperm?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Quorum posted:

I'm not YourBoyFancy, but we interrupt this discussion to bring you some data from Virginia!

Early voting always favors Dems but that huge amount from the North is definitely reassuring.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

oohhboy posted:

Even better, use a chimp as a surrogate. The fetus is now considered perfectly human!

Quorum posted:

I assume that vote share by age is typical for early voting? That's a lot of olds voting.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

Irrespective of whether or not she’s telling the truth, this is the entire reason for her doing it now. Maximum exposure means maximum book sales.

What's really weird is that she turned around and went "well, actually..." a day after the publication of that article in an attempt to repair those bridges already burnt well to nothing. I know Brazile isn't the smoothest operator but it's bizarre to see someone do that after pulling the one thing that could possibly make everyone in the country hate you.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ClancyEverafter posted:

And the explanation is that the agreement that gave Clinton camp extensive control over internal DNC workings was signed after she won the primary, and thus was normal functional stuff for a presidential campaign to take over after winning?

Because it would seem, reading that article, that if that was the case, then Brazile was straight up lying, and also basically publicly quitting any role in the DNC ever again, right? That would be extremely dishonest, if the conflation you're ascribing to her worked the way you laid it out.

Brazile notably had been implicated as trying to assist the Clinton campaign during the primary, and her sudden about face on “actually I always loved Bernie, Clinton bad” is very suspicious.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

oohhboy posted:

If they do, we're all sitting on a pile of tax write-offs

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Office Pig posted:

What's really weird is that she turned around and went "well, actually..." a day after the publication of that article in an attempt to repair those bridges already burnt well to nothing. I know Brazile isn't the smoothest operator but it's bizarre to see someone do that after pulling the one thing that could possibly make everyone in the country hate you.

I dunno. I’ve seen conspiracy theories about it being a collaboration of some kind with Clinton but lol at that.

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Lightning Knight posted:

Brazile notably had been implicated as trying to assist the Clinton campaign during the primary, and her sudden about face on “actually I always loved Bernie, Clinton bad” is very suspicious.

I agree, it is! But her motivations for doing what she did, vs. the substance of what she said aren't the same thing.

She can have lovely motivations for revealing poo poo that's actually true. It'd be pretty simple to find out, but only morons would want to know for sure!

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crow Jane posted:

If they do, we're all sitting on a pile of tax write-offs

Better not use that condom if we want that tax write off.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

7c Nickel posted:

She conflated two separate agreements in order to sell her book because certain people can't orgasm without screaming about Clinton.

As for 3, Hillary and Bernie signed the same primary agreement which didn't have any of the control aspects to it. She raised 500 some odd million. Half went to the states, a quart to her and a quarter to the DNC. Bernie raised 1000 dollars. Bernie didn't sign the 2nd agreement because he lost.

And sure, :toxx: that the 2015 agreement doesn't have all that poo poo in it.

If she's lying why doesn't Bernie refute that she called him and told him the truth on the eve of the election?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

no, she's finally seen the light and is exposing the corruption at the heart of the rotten DNC, how dare you call her a liar despite that being exactly what i would have called her a few months ago before she started saying things that cater directly to my biases

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Lightning Knight posted:

I dunno. I’ve seen conspiracy theories about it being a collaboration of some kind with Clinton but lol at that.

I mean, she's got to be responsible for something, and if Vince Foster, cattle futures, Seth rich, and Benghazi weren't her fault, then we're down to this!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Prester Jane posted:

I have studied several strategy games over the past couple decades but only started tooling around with Go over the past year or so. Its a fantastically expressive game and one of the most amazing things about it to me has been that despite my relatively low skill level (17kyu on OGS) there are still very distinct playstyles tied to national orgigin. Although obviously not very single Go player ascribes perfectly to these patterns I nonethless notice clear trends in players taht have been both a delight to study and learn to exploit.

Japanese players for example favor a very balanced approach, they seek moves that accomplish both a moderate amount of attack and defense. When a good opportunity appears they try to make a single powerful strike that swings the game in their favor and then switch to defense mode to hold on to their lead. Chinese players by comparison are some Crouching Tiger; Hidden Dragon motherfuckers and come strait at you doing flowery backflips and poo poo. They relentlessly probe you for weak points and if you accept an engagement on their terms you are going to get hurt. Scandanavian players by comparison are mostly what I call "Math Vikings". A Scandinavian player starts out all beep-boop mathematically optimized moves until they are either clearly ahead or behind, at which point they activate the Thor's Bloodlust tesuji and start a massive fight that ends in a game-deciding liberty race.

American players by comparison tend to try wild experiments during the early-midgame and/or activate the Wyatt Earp tesuji and cowboy it up by playing all over the board when it becomes clear they are behind. Successful uses of thee Wyatt Earp tesuji have been known to cause Japanese/Korean players to very politely grumble about the "chance tesuji ruining true Go".

This is a remarkably accurate assessment of this for an 18k player.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Prester Jane posted:

Bob Avakian is leading a relatively low-compaction Narrativist cult that is left oriented, and that is who is the organizing force behind the November 4th protests. They are relatively low-compaction and not actively compacting because the insanity of the Trump administration actually conforms quite nicely with their Inner narrative. This enables them to expand and absorb non-Narrativist new members.

In reality this is actually two groups of Narrativists screaming at each other- the Avakian cult (and a few clueless me-too's) on one side and a sizable portion of the Trumpstaffel on the other. Avakian's group is Narrativists and their protest are designed to appeal to Narrativists, which is why the right wing Narrativists are choosing it as their exemplar of the entire left. I would argue that you can see the difference in the level of penetration of Narrativism by contrasting these two groups at present- Avakian's cult is still almost unknown and the Noveber 4th meme they have inadvertently sparked is much more well known than they are at this point whereas Fox News is currently mainstreaming Alex Jones to their aging and credulous audiance.

Where is their home base? Where do they recruit from? How do they fund their ventures? It seems to be similar to Westboro Baptist, as a business model, from seein' 'em march into spaces and demand a lot of attention for radical ideas. The only real recruiting I see them do is try to insist that their founder wrote a book everyone has to read. I've not read it.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Trabisnikof posted:

If she's lying why doesn't Bernie refute that she called him and told him the truth on the eve of the election?

Probably because he doesn't give a poo poo about 2016 anymore

What I'm saying is the thread needs to be more like Bernie, who would have won

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

"Surely no one will read this. I sure didn't."

GOP Rep

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

boner confessor posted:

no, she's finally seen the light and is exposing the corruption at the heart of the rotten DNC, how dare you call her a liar despite that being exactly what i would have called her a few months ago before she started saying things that cater directly to my biases

Hey, what do you want from me? I don’t really think the debate question mattered, it was just a dumb thing to do. Her book poo poo seems like a transparent ploy to me, however.

Quorum posted:

I mean, she's got to be responsible for something, and if Vince Foster, cattle futures, Seth rich, and Benghazi weren't her fault, then we're down to this!

Don’t forget covering up the sexual assault cases of literally every man who voted D.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I've never been more interested in Go in my life :swoon:

I was mostly just interested to watch a computer program completely and utterly pwn a couple of arrogant champions and watch their respective countries lose their poo poo about AI research. And now the program is so advanced it can only seriously challenge itself using strategies that are drat near incomprehensible to human observers.

I mean it's going to eventually result in the AM triad being formed, but at least that one moment was really, really satisfying.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tatsuta Age posted:

Probably because he doesn't give a poo poo about 2016 anymore

What I'm saying is the thread needs to be more like Bernie, who would have won

Because this has a lot less to do with 2016 than it does 2018, 2020 and beyond?

If DNC was bankrupt and Hillary used that to leverage influence that leaves the DNC in more serious disarray than if none of that is true and Brazile is just making this up.

The future of both how to act within the party and around the party is heavily influenced by the outcome of this saga.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Not a comment on the Brazile article itself, but the idea that she wrote it to sell books seems strange. Who would she be trying to win over? Leftists hate her and aren't going to buy her book, and Clinton fans would take it as a sign that she's betrayed their camp.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Not a comment on the Brazile article itself, but the idea that she wrote it to sell books seems strange. Who would she be trying to win over? Leftists hate her and aren't going to buy her book, and Clinton fans would take it as a sign that she's betrayed their camp.

people are more likely to buy her book if they know about it vs. if they don't know about it, and all publicity is good publicity when you're hawking something

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

oohhboy posted:

"Mom, don't come in, I'm making beneficiaries!"

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I was mostly just interested to watch a computer program completely and utterly pwn a couple of arrogant champions and watch their respective countries lose their poo poo about AI research. And now the program is so advanced it can only seriously challenge itself using strategies that are drat near incomprehensible to human observers.

I mean it's going to eventually result in the AM triad being formed, but at least that one moment was really, really satisfying.

Alphago is easily the coolest thing that google deepmind did. The level that alphago plays at is so far beyond humans that while we might get a few pointers from it, it's simply not something a human being could ever replicate. Insanely cool to watch though. My favorite part is that alphago doesn't care about how much it wins by - it just aims to win by 0.5, and will play in such a way that that 0.5 point is locked in, making its victories against aforementioned greats look close when it was really just masterfully controlling the game to the point that its opponent was kept to a half point deficit.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Quorum posted:

This is why politicians ignore unks.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

DreamShipWrecked posted:

"Mom, don't come in, I'm making beneficiaries!"

As usual, men get the better end of the deal. Women only get so many beneficiaries, men can theoretically keep making them forever

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Inferior Third Season posted:

This is why politicians ignore unks.

unks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Trabisnikof posted:

Because this has a lot less to do with 2016 than it does 2018, 2020 and beyond?

If DNC was bankrupt and Hillary used that to leverage influence that leaves the DNC in more serious disarray than if none of that is true and Brazile is just making this up.

The future of both how to act within the party and around the party is heavily influenced by the outcome of this saga.

Disagree but go nuts rehashing it a few dozen more times if it makes you feel better mate!

• Locked thread