Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Grouchio posted:

I have made that mistake too often. The memes are searing my intellect.

Is it safe to browse /a/ if I don't have any intellect already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
No. That's how you get the other boards.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

speaking of other forums, reddit is getting amas with japanese anime creators such as Dai Sato, writer for stuff like eureka seven, gits sac, space dandy and so on. and after him the panty and stocking composer. so if you care enough about anime to rise above petty forum rivalries, thats interesting

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

/r/anime is pretty bad but the AMAs when they do happen are usually neat

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/SentaiFilmworks/status/926313237855031296

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Oh noes

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

indeed

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
People not watching Girls Last Tour should do so because it's lovely

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Knorth posted:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Knorth posted:

Concur.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Knorth posted:

:hai:

I'm waiting for anything else this season to even come close to being as My Kind Of poo poo as GLT has wound up being.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/926581928718938113

Nice. Dunno if the sub's appearing there too or not, though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

motfherucker

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I don't care about the dub, either, but I really do want to pick up a physical copy of Yamato 2199.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

dogsicle posted:

scum's wish didn't get dumped on for its premise, though it was also a noitamina/amazon thing. anyway I'm more just bummed about this in the same vein that both amazon shows this season are excellent and i don't see them very talked about

oh ya i should watch more of that some time

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

wielder posted:

I don't care about the dub, either, but I really do want to pick up a physical copy of Yamato 2199.

if you are $300-tier desperate, there's always the import option

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

for the record the japanese blu rays have english subs

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Davincie posted:

Are they like this?

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

wielder posted:

Well, I'm not sure anybody knows what's going on with all this yet. As I understand it, the company who owns the rights abandoned their ridiculous multi-volume (six? Seven?) US release partway through the show. Dunno if they're planning a rerelease and have contracted Funimation to do a dub in exchange for them getting to stream it, or if they've just licensed it out solely for streaming to Funi/Crunchyroll. Could well be the latter, since Crunchyroll often don't mention upcoming additions until nearly the day they're added, so there being no mention of a sub would match up with Funi/Crunchy's current deal of splitting subbed/dubbed streams between themselves.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

dogsicle posted:

if you are $300-tier desperate, there's always the import option

Davincie posted:

I know, but the prospect of importing six or seven volumes isn't too attractive.

EDIT: Or the $300 box set. It also applies to that one.

smenj posted:

Well, I'm not sure anybody knows what's going on with all this yet. As I understand it, the company who owns the rights abandoned their ridiculous multi-volume (six? Seven?) US release partway through the show. Dunno if they're planning a rerelease and have contracted Funimation to do a dub in exchange for them getting to stream it, or if they've just licensed it out solely for streaming to Funi/Crunchyroll. Could well be the latter, since Crunchyroll often don't mention upcoming additions until nearly the day they're added, so there being no mention of a sub would match up with Funi/Crunchy's current deal of splitting subbed/dubbed streams between themselves.

Yes, that initial effort has been dead in the water for several years at this point. It would be silly if Funimation went and bought the rights to produce the dub yet didn't obtain the rights for a localized BD release. Perhaps they want to see how people will react to the dub before revealing that part of the plan?

wielder fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 4, 2017

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i havent personally used the official subs, but they got a bunch of american pros to translate them so theyre probably not engrish.

voyager is practically dead, so don't count on them to ever finish their blu ray series.

there's also been earlier dub attempts screened at fests, which got quite a negative reaction, but i guess funimation is going to do their own thing. i highly doubt that will include subs though

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

wielder posted:

I know, but the prospect of importing six or seven volumes isn't too attractive.

it's not multiple volumes, there's a $300 BD box that has subs. it's what i imported, though i haven't broken it out to check the subs since it was a purchase made more as support of the project than anything else.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

smenj posted:

Nice. Dunno if the sub's appearing there too or not, though.

I would assume the subs would be appearing on Crunchy, since that's been the usual arrangement.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Sindai posted:

I hope someone gifs it

A few notes:

- These are cherry-picked examples, but not in the malicious way of making a joke at the expense of the animators. There are just too many scenes to choose from.
- None of the screenshots are in-betweeners. These are all lingering shots.
- All of these had the main characters moving at 8fps, I didn't cut/reduce the framerate when gifing them.
- The hands :gonk: oh god the hands, I remember now why I don't make as many anime gifs as I used to

As you keep watching this on loop, it just gets sadder and sadder the more you notice.

Clapping loops on the right were 12 fps, left animation was 8 fps

It's just a still shot of food, how can you make it look so unappetizing?!?!

By episode 07 I expect a response to this request would be to just link a webm of the entire episode.

The sad part is, the show is good in many other ways. The dialogue and story move at a nice non-lingering pace, the shot composition is fantastic, the characters are interesting and likeable even through their teenage brooding, nothing wrong with the sound or music or voice acting. They just bit off more than they could chew, and I sympathize with them.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i just watched a silent voice and jesus christ bring tissues to that movie. that was so loving good i have to contemplate if that was better than your name or not

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

A few notes:

- These are cherry-picked examples, but not in the malicious way of making a joke at the expense of the animators. There are just too many scenes to choose from.
- None of the screenshots are in-betweeners. These are all lingering shots.
- All of these had the main characters moving at 8fps, I didn't cut/reduce the framerate when gifing them.
- The hands :gonk: oh god the hands, I remember now why I don't make as many anime gifs as I used to

As you keep watching this on loop, it just gets sadder and sadder the more you notice.

Clapping loops on the right were 12 fps, left animation was 8 fps

It's just a still shot of food, how can you make it look so unappetizing?!?!

By episode 07 I expect a response to this request would be to just link a webm of the entire episode.

The sad part is, the show is good in many other ways. The dialogue and story move at a nice non-lingering pace, the shot composition is fantastic, the characters are interesting and likeable even through their teenage brooding, nothing wrong with the sound or music or voice acting. They just bit off more than they could chew, and I sympathize with them.
Eh. The faces/models are definitely off and the perspective is hosed on some of these but it definitely looks like something that could be made at least palatable in the blu-rays and stuff. It's not something like handshakers where the entire production is just completely unsalvageable from top to bottom.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I watched that episode on an 8" tablet and didn't notice anything in particular, even when I was looking for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's definitely way below par but like, symphogear season 1 looks more hosed than that in places and that looked totally fine on the blu-rays and managed to pick itself back up for the finale. just because might get worse, based on what been reported of its production, but I don't think it's the end of the world or anything.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

it's definitely way below par but like, symphogear season 1 looks more hosed than that in places and that looked totally fine on the blu-rays and managed to pick itself back up for the finale. just because might get worse, based on what been reported of its production, but I don't think it's the end of the world or anything.

I think the worst-case scenario is probably a Wizard Barristers thing, where the total visual breakdown actually impedes the show’s efforts to tell a comprehensible story (not that WB’s story was all that comprehensible to begin with, mind you, but you catch my drift). Yeah, that can be fixed on DVD, but it’ll also totally ruin the initial broadcast experience.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, you illustrated why that probably won't happen right there. Wizard Barristers was a mess even when it was animated well, its direction and shot composition were all over the place and the writing was messy. Not to mention it was dealing with way more complicated things.

All Just Because 'needs' to be able to do is show characters standing around and talking, and while the amount of motion or expression it can portray will probably make scenes not land as well as they could, I doubt things will get so bad that they can't just draw the characters into a shot and animate some lipflaps. And the direction has been competent enough that they'll probably find ways to cover for how rushed things will get.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

I mean, you illustrated why that probably won't happen right there. Wizard Barristers was a mess even when it was animated well, its direction and shot composition were all over the place and the writing was messy. Not to mention it was dealing with way more complicated things.

All Just Because 'needs' to be able to do is show characters standing around and talking, and while the amount of motion or expression it can portray will probably make scenes not land as well as they could, I doubt things will get so bad that they can't just draw the characters into a shot and animate some lipflaps. And the direction has been competent enough that they'll probably find ways to cover for how rushed things will get.

Yeah, but WB even replaced a bunch of the static ‘characters standing around talking’ shots with brick walls. Plus, I’d assume that the emotional highs in JB will involve a bit more complex motion than standing around talking (dramatically running to or away from somewhere, for instance), and that could get really ugly.

Basically, it’s a character drama that now has to deal with a fairly hard upper limit on how much emotion it can generate or portray through its visuals. That’s pretty unfortunate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with that, it is unfortunate and a bad thing to have happened, I just don't think the series will descend into literal unwatchable nonsense like some people are worrying it will.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll_de/status/926782599460212736

Don't use Crunchyroll at the moment.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Their security has been compromised somehow?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll_de/status/926791185217269760

you shouldn't have to worry about your information being compromised if this is all it is

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They're calling it a DNS Hijack on the German twitter, so someone hacked the domain to redirect elsewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_hijacking

Supposedly its a cryptolocker type malware.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

unless you run the trojan then lol you're hosed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah whatever you do, if you computer automatically downloads the exe, do NOT launch it

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just Because doesn't look great at the moment, but it at least has an advantage over something like Flip Flappers or OG Symphogear in that its setting is really grounded and it doesn't have to worry about any real fight scenes or anything crazy like that, and those shows got by okay - though I'll admit I don't recall them running into structural production issues this early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Just Because doesn't look great at the moment, but it at least has an advantage over something like Flip Flappers or OG Symphogear in that its setting is really grounded and it doesn't have to worry about any real fight scenes or anything crazy like that, and those shows got by okay - though I'll admit I don't recall them running into structural production issues this early.

I don’t think Flip Flappers really did at all - like, yeah, it was a troubled production, but they put in a heroic enough effort that little (if any) of that really showed up on-screen. There was that one episode in the white void, sure, but that seemed intentional, and still managed to be pretty.

• Locked thread