Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Volkerball posted:

Sure, just to be wearing power armor. But when you're maintaining maxxed out x-01 for you and your companion, as well as Gatling lasers and poo poo, it gets a bit more resource intensive. Especially if you build robots, because it's all the same components, and robots are a resource pit. Companions poo poo especially requires a ton of maintenance. Always off trying to get into fistfights with super mutant suiciders.

X-01 just takes a tiny bit of circuitry to repair, not a big deal. I would never advise putting any companions in PA or frankly even giving them new weapons. PA is definitely something that fits easily into a simple survival run, without abusing water purifiers or basing your build around a late game scenario with 10 settlements and the Minutemen quest line mostly done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Volkerball posted:

^water isn't junk, it's aid. And settlements don't produce fertilizer for poo poo. It's w/e.

You're missing the point. The game stops generating items when you have too much stuff in the workshop regardless of type, and junk is simply the stuff that piles up the fastest.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Seashell Salesman posted:

X-01 just takes a tiny bit of circuitry to repair, not a big deal. I would never advise putting any companions in PA or frankly even giving them new weapons. PA is definitely something that fits easily into a simple survival run, without abusing water purifiers or basing your build around a late game scenario with 10 settlements and the Minutemen quest line mostly done.

Yes, pretty much every time you stop for supplies. It adds up. And as I said earlier, if you're trying to make robot provisioners or guards or anything like that, you'll already be spending aluminum and circuitry in the triple digits. You can have the entire system I described without doing any quests, really. It takes a lot of work for sure, but it's independent of the storyline. I finished it before I even went to the institute. And smh if you don't give valentine x-01 and a fat man.

I'm not saying your method doesn't work, but it's simple, it only takes a couple hours to set up, and it has a low ceiling. If you're going to start a new game 40 hours later anyways, who cares. But if you're going to build up settlements and put 100+ hours on one save, establishing something like this will definitely give you something to do. And hovering over your sentry bot provisioners in a vertibird with you and a companion rocking x-01 and plasma rifles as you travel to your mega settlement at spectacle island to go do billionaire things on survival is a cool feeling. And once it's all set up, you don't have to work any more. Just kick back and enjoy the fruits.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 1, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

isndl posted:

You're missing the point. The game stops generating items when you have too much stuff in the workshop regardless of type, and junk is simply the stuff that piles up the fastest.

Water is the only settlement production worth anything, and it doesn't matter how full your workbench is with it because it is aid, not junk. If you have water purifiers, they will dump water into your workbench as long as there is no water in that settlements workbench. You can have a workbench with tens of thousands of items in it and it will still produce hundreds of water at a time. It's only junk/scavengers tables that are affected by the total amount of items in the workbench, and you couldn't eat off what those produce anyways.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 1, 2017

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Volkerball posted:

Yes, pretty much every time you stop for supplies. It adds up. And as I said earlier, if you're trying to make robot provisioners or guards or anything like that, you'll already be spending aluminum and circuitry in the triple digits. You can have the entire system I described without doing any quests, really. It takes a lot of work for sure, but it's independent of the storyline. I finished it before I even went to the institute. And smh if you don't give valentine x-01 and a fat man.

I'm not saying your method doesn't work, but it's simple, it only takes a couple hours to set up, and it has a low ceiling. If you're going to start a new game 40 hours later anyways, who cares. But if you're going to build up settlements and put 100+ hours on one save, establishing something like this will definitely give you something to do. And hovering over your sentry bot provisioners in a vertibird with you and a companion rocking x-01 and plasma rifles as you travel to your mega settlement at spectacle island to go do billionaire things on survival is a cool feeling. And once it's all set up, you don't have to work any more. Just kick back and enjoy the fruits.

Yeah none of that sounds anchored to what the guy ITT was asking for advice about, even remotely. The storyline thing I mentioned because you explicitly said to use artillery and The Castle. I have 559 hours in FO4 according to Steam but I have never had a single game over like 40 hours, I don't think most people who play this game do either.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Water is the only settlement production worth anything, and it doesn't matter how full your workbench is with it because it is aid, not junk. If you have water purifiers, they will dump water into your workbench as long as there is no water in that settlements workbench. You can have a workbench with tens of thousands of items in it and it will still produce hundreds of water at a time.

Except my settlement with triple digit water production wasn't producing triple digit water until I cleared out the thousands of junk I had in the workshop. The engine doesn't care what the items are classified as, it just sees 10k+ or whatever number of objects in a container and says that's enough.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah none of that sounds anchored to what the guy ITT was asking for advice about, even remotely. The storyline thing I mentioned because you explicitly said to use artillery and The Castle. I have 559 hours in FO4 according to Steam but I have never had a single game over like 40 hours, I don't think most people who play this game do either.

He said he was getting frustrated with menus and micromanagement, I explained my system that allows me to never have to fuss with that stuff. Walk/vertibird to a nearby water settlement, dump all junk, grab water, walk ten feet and sell it, buy all the stuff I want, dump any junk I bought, and I'm done with almost no limitations. No micromanagement necessary. I said you could use artillery and every settlement later if you wanted, but that obviously isn't a requirement when it comes to sustainable inventory.

And I disagree. I went through a bunch of 40 hour saves, but eventually that gets repetitive because this fallout doesn't have as much replay value. I think a lot of people get so involved with settlements anyways that they don't want to start new saves and delete them. I know some people with just as many hours who've put it all on one save. There's more than one way to do things and I think that is ok.

isndl posted:

Except my settlement with triple digit water production wasn't producing triple digit water until I cleared out the thousands of junk I had in the workshop. The engine doesn't care what the items are classified as, it just sees 10k+ or whatever number of objects in a container and says that's enough.

Ymmv. I've not had that problem, although I have had scavenging and fertilizer production stop. Did you use one settlement as your only base where you dumped all the junk you ever got in the game? That might be it. I've got tens of thousands of junk, but it's spread throughout my supply network since I generally just stopped wherever was closest on survival to dump junk. Everywhere still produces water fine. I would assume if you're hitting that limit, you're probably doing just fine junk and caps wise.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 1, 2017

isndl
May 2, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Ymmv. I've not had that problem, although I have had scavenging and fertilizer production stop. Did you use one settlement as your only base where you dumped all the junk you ever got in the game? That might be it. I've got tens of thousands of junk, but it's spread throughout my supply network since I generally just stopped wherever was closest on survival to dump junk. Everywhere still produces water fine. I would assume if you're hitting that limit, you're probably doing just fine junk and caps wise.

Yeah, this was a game started pre-Survival update so I was usually just fast-traveling back to my hub with all my settlement vendors + purifier farm and dumping. I actually didn't have much in the way of caps because I was tossing gear I would ordinarily sell to make space for more junk and trying to convert junk to caps is super tedious which is why I had the water farm in the first place, but the farm simply wasn't producing until I moved junk to another container.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Volkerball posted:

He said he was getting frustrated with menus and micromanagement, I explained my system that allows me to never have to fuss with that stuff. Walk/vertibird to a nearby water settlement, dump all junk, grab water, walk ten feet and sell it, buy all the stuff I want, dump any junk I bought, and I'm done with almost no limitations. No micromanagement necessary. I said you could use artillery and every settlement later if you wanted, but that obviously isn't a requirement when it comes to sustainable inventory.

It didn't sound like he was asking for an alternative playstyle to looting and hoarding stuff, it sounded like he was asking how to do the looting workflow in survival without the weight management tedium getting in the way. "Build this big baroque network of water purifiers to break the game's economy" is missing the point IMO.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Water barony in FO4 is an example of "optimizing the fun out of the game." I'd love it if it was somehow integrated or acknowledged by the game, and I honestly expected a bit more with the game's emphasis on creating and linking settlements. The trailers made it look (in my eyes) like you could set up a trading caravan of sorts.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Hey great discussion everyone, I think you helped a lot actually.

In many respects, the answer I was looking for was 'don't worry about it G, just dump all the junk into the workshop' because I'm attempting to micromanage right now in the very early game. If there is no reason to micromanage, just make sure each settlement has a purifier, and you make sure to spread your settlements out a bit, you only need to worry about harvesting the purified water and trading that.

I did get the advice I was looking for in regard to crafting largely as well. I did find a cave with like 40 brain fungus nodules, but in the long term keeping that level of crafting up isn't going to be realistic, I'll just be buying the constructed drugs from a merchant anyway. I'll treat the 'downtime' I'm dealing with as one-off low level challenges, and as I ease into the endgame make sure not to overdevelop any individual settlement, and just kind of go with the flow of the game.

I am actually looking to play a single long character of hundreds of hours. Once I've done a couple of quick trial runs and worked out the kinks, it does seem like Fallout 4 really is less interesting for repeated playthrus. I did a Brotherhood game, beat the main story line and explored probably half of the map, so I'm only looking to play 'one' more game, with all the DLC and the survival mode on, do the Institute questline, explore every location and DLC, and call it a game.

Thanks for all the help with this though. You've all functionally distilled all the 'meta' of the game since I've last played it, and now I think I know what I need to do to convert my first 200 hour game into whatever the game has become since launch.

*and rinkles drat you are right dude. When there is an 'optimal' way to play a game, it'd be nice if it was acknowledged. It even makes sense in universe to have a water baron, as water is our most important resource. With as lame as some of the exposition is in this game, I think it'd be fair for the Sole Survivor to have been an Army Water Purifier back in the day.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
The game creates an exit save when you quit on survival. One thing I like about survival is you have a lot fewer loading screens when you can't fast travel. You also get to experience a lot of cool stuff that is easy to miss when fast traveling.

How I play survival:

Max strength/intelligence and then dump the rest into endurance.

No companions because the lone wanderer damage reduction is very useful to not get one-shotted from 20 meters by a raider thrown molotov cocktail

Companions are bad at sneaking and love signing checks for fights that your rear end can't cash. Once they are knocked down, companions don't get up unless you heal them. If too long time passes they return to a settlement where you have to go get them.

Someone suggested robot companions but robots are healed with robot repair kits and those are a pain in the butt to get early on. Likewise surviving early on depends a lot on being able to not take fights you can't win. rad scorpions will teleport into you and one-shot you.

mix psychobuff and be prepared to use it and med-x a lot

Stealth is of course key to avoiding bad fights. Power armor helps but if you stray too close to the gunner "highway" early on then they will kill you in two shots from 50 meters with laser pistols. Even if you wear power armor.

Use semi automatic weapons to save ammo space and caps. Deliverer, 44, sniper rifle.

The explosive perk for fighting big stuff. Just stack frag mines in a pile and pull death claws/mirelurk queens into them. Bottleclap mines are great. The fatman and missile launcher weighs a lot and so do their ammo. Instead I would throw a plasma grenade, use jet and then use your weapon to shot the grenade out of the air near the enemy. With max explosive perk this will do more damage to a bigger enemy than a fatman.

Carry around 20 purified water with you, make little stashes of water and food around places you will pass a lot (Cambridge police station, diamond city, bunker hill.

Once you save Preston and finished up in sanctuary. Head for the Cambridge police station and do the mission with Danse. This will get you a ton of Fusion cells (just let Danse do all the fighting) As well as Righteous Authority at the end. Use it as it is or rebuild it into a pistol. It's a competent mid level weapon and very ammo efficient.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 1, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rinkles posted:

Water barony in FO4 is an example of "optimizing the fun out of the game." I'd love it if it was somehow integrated or acknowledged by the game, and I honestly expected a bit more with the game's emphasis on creating and linking settlements. The trailers made it look (in my eyes) like you could set up a trading caravan of sorts.

I don't mind it since it's pretty much the only thing linking the settlement system to the main game. Without being a water baron, you can build this huge city with stores everywhere and two dozen people, and it does next to nothing for you. But pop a handful of purifiers down, and suddenly that settlement becomes hugely important to you. Plus raiders coming in and destroying the purifiers hits you in the wallet, so attacks have meaning too. Not to mention that all methods of making money in FO4 are not fun, and are gamey in their own ways. Water is the least tedious method, and opens the door for you to have more poo poo and be able to do more poo poo. If you start to feel OP, just adjust the damage modifiers, or download a mod that does, to give your enemies more even footing. With that and survival you can always keep the combat challenging. But I agree with you. I actually think I remember talking to you right after E3 when I was hype to start a wasteland corporation. Not quite what I was hoping for to say the least, but we play the game we have, not the game we want.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
I recently reinstalled the game and can I vent about something? I loving hate what they are doing with the Brotherhood. My eyes are spinning out of their sockets with every cliche "rrrraaah Semper Fi" line they spew out. I'm halfway expecting to see a "sponsored by the US army" notice somewhere.

What's worse is that somehow these are supposed to be the good guys. I really wish we had the condescending, tech-worshipping, isolationist assholes back.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Sorry man, Bethesda couldn't figure out how to write in the Enclave so the BoS had to pull double duty in this one

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I think it makes sense that the Brotherhood of Steel developed in different ways after they got separated and changed in leadership, west coast BoS behaves in one way, east coast BoS in another

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Why can't any of the factions just be regional and not all over the country? Boston should be entirely new poo poo with no BoS or super mutants or ghouls.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Why can't any of the factions just be regional and not all over the country? Boston should be entirely new poo poo with no BoS or super mutants or ghouls.

"But then how is it Fallout!?"
/
:reject:

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

marshmallow creep posted:

"But then how is it Fallout!?"
/
:reject:

Serious answer is Vault-Tec and the pre-war ruins and artifacts.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The BOS in 4 are a lot more like the west coast Brotherhood from 1 & 2. It wasn't until Tactics where the became less insular and began interacting and actively recruiting from the locals, which created part of the tension between them and The Outcasts in 3. There seems to be a lot of ambiguity as to whether the BOS from Tactics and the BOS from 3 are the same group. And also how Maxson even got to DC in the first place since travel through the midwest is supposed to be impossible thanks to the storms. I doubt Bethesda will ever get around to answering those questions.

Yes Bethesda could've created their own factions when they created 3 instead of transplanting everyone from the first games to the east coast but the Institute and Railroad are 'original factions and they're a loving mess so who knows if that would've been a good way to start things off. Maybe they should just hire people who know how to write a story. They're pretty good with building nice worlds. Not so good at filling them with a coherent narraitve.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Capilarean posted:

I recently reinstalled the game and can I vent about something? I loving hate what they are doing with the Brotherhood. My eyes are spinning out of their sockets with every cliche "rrrraaah Semper Fi" line they spew out. I'm halfway expecting to see a "sponsored by the US army" notice somewhere.

What's worse is that somehow these are supposed to be the good guys. I really wish we had the condescending, tech-worshipping, isolationist assholes back.

What makes you think they're supposed to be the good guys

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The BOS in 4 are a lot more like the west coast Brotherhood from 1 & 2. It wasn't until Tactics where the became less insular and began interacting and actively recruiting from the locals, which created part of the tension between them and The Outcasts in 3. There seems to be a lot of ambiguity as to whether the BOS from Tactics and the BOS from 3 are the same group. And also how Maxson even got to DC in the first place since travel through the midwest is supposed to be impossible thanks to the storms. I doubt Bethesda will ever get around to answering those questions.

Yes Bethesda could've created their own factions when they created 3 instead of transplanting everyone from the first games to the east coast but the Institute and Railroad are 'original factions and they're a loving mess so who knows if that would've been a good way to start things off. Maybe they should just hire people who know how to write a story. They're pretty good with building nice worlds. Not so good at filling them with a coherent narraitve.

If we're talking Fo4 BoS then I actually like the Institute and Railroad better. Plus there would be a lot more room to link the random dungeons to both of them if they weren't all full of ghouls and super mutants. The whole game would have had a unique feel.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

The BOS are historically not good guys. They were complete assholes in 1-2-3(outcasts) and New Vegas.

In Fallout 1 the first thing the BOS does when you encounter them is send you to die on a suicide mission for giggles because gently caress you for existing and wanting to help.

The only good ones were the splinter faction in Fallout 3 and they are specifically noted for having abandoned their mission from the brotherhood so they can help wastelanders.

The goal of the BOS is to steal tech and use it in order to steal more tech. And if you get in the way you die. Also if you're a mutant/ghoul you die too on principle.

They value genetic purity and would prefer to only recruit people born into the brotherhood but they are too few in number so they are forced to recruit from the outside. New Vegas even has a lesbian BOS member who was forced to discontinue her relationship with her girlfriend because the brotherhood needed them to have children to serve as future recruits.

Maxson is the most true to form BOS character we have seen in quite a few games.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

If we're talking Fo4 BoS then I actually like the Institute and Railroad better. Plus there would be a lot more room to link the random dungeons to both of them if they weren't all full of ghouls and super mutants. The whole game would have had a unique feel.

To be perfectly honest I find the BOS in FO4 to be the 'better' faction of the 4 main ones; it's not so much that I liked them the most, more so that I disliked them the least. The Institute was comically evil for the sake of being comically evil with a plan that made no sense in the long term (and also they were the reason Super Mutants were even around in the Commonwealth), while the Railroad were supposed to be the 'good' guys but just came across as really naive and outmatched. The BOS may have been assholes but they were pragmatic assholes who had a plan. Everyone suffers from the same 1 dimensional existence though.

Oddly enough now that I think about it The Pitt was the only location we've seen so far that had neither ghouls or Super Mutants, it was also a fairly solid DLC that they did absolutely nothing with. Maybe it wouldn't have been all that bad had they come up with their own ideas to mix in...

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Psychotic Weasel posted:

To be perfectly honest I find the BOS in FO4 to be the 'better' faction of the 4 main ones; it's not so much that I liked them the most, more so that I disliked them the least. The Institute was comically evil for the sake of being comically evil with a plan that made no sense in the long term (and also they were the reason Super Mutants were even around in the Commonwealth), while the Railroad were supposed to be the 'good' guys but just came across as really naive and outmatched. The BOS may have been assholes but they were pragmatic assholes who had a plan. Everyone suffers from the same 1 dimensional existence though.

Oddly enough now that I think about it The Pitt was the only location we've seen so far that had neither ghouls or Super Mutants, it was also a fairly solid DLC that they did absolutely nothing with. Maybe it wouldn't have been all that bad had they come up with their own ideas to mix in...

I don't dislike the Fo4 BoS in a roleplaying sense-- I dislike them from a design and narrative perspective. I would never expect any of the factions in a game to fit what the player wants to roleplay as, I just would prefer them to be either original or a novel progression of the familiar (like the NCR in Fo2/NV.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah I'm not sure how anyone could consider the BoS good guys when, within a span of minutes, you can hear Maxson talk about how he's doing this for the Commonwealth's good and then walk over and accept a sidequest to steal food from farmers at gunpoint. You also can't finish the game with them without killing a bunch of innocent people. They couldn't have made it clearer if the screen said "WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?" when you get to the Prydwen.

That mission where you fight a behemoth from a vertibird and then he knocks it out of the sky and you land in the power armor and have to fight your way up onto the beach is sick as hellll though so :shrug:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
That's one of the real problems of FO4. The only real 'good guys' are the Minutemen and Railroad, both of whom are flatly overwhelmed and incapable of governing.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
It always blows my mind when people talk about Maxson's chapter like it's some kind of evil empire.

They can be too black-and-white in their pragmatism, and their grunts are annoying "hoo-rah" jingo janglers, but out of any of the Fallout 4 factions, Maxson's Eastern Brotherhood is definitely, by far, in the place to do the most good for the most people.

We shouldn't forget that the Eastern Brotherhood has been going through a leadership crisis for quite some time. After Lyons, a compassionate man who tore the Chapter in half with his inability to hold even a pretense of staying on-mission, the dysfunctional Western Brotherhood started installing--and then replacing--idiots and incompetents left and right. Arthur got a thoroughly broken chapter back on track, finding a philosophical middle road that finally brought everyone back to the table. He's just enough of a tech zealot to keep the hardliners satisfied, while still managing to do more for the people of the wasteland (in the form of patrols, cleaning out monster infestations, etc.) than any of his predessesors besides (arguably) Lyons himself. He's an evolution in Brotherhood philosophy that emerged at the right place, at the right time.

People always bash him for stealing from those loving farmers, ignoring that the whole point of that mission is that a shady quartermaster is trying to cut corners and get you to do a little dirty work under the table to make his job easier. If one mid-level functionary turning out to be a shithead means that the entire organization is bad, well then, I have some bad news for you about the NCR.

People also bash Maxson's Brotherhood for its racism. In our modern, non-apocalyptic world, his rhetoric comes off as monstrous at best. But that's ignoring that he lives in a monstrous times, in a monstrous world. Hordes of slavering supermutants are constantly overrunning human settlements and eating the inhabitants. The BoS want to wipe them out, pure and simple. You can argue that "But there's a handful of intelligent, non-violent supermutants out there!" but it's perfectly rational for someone like Maxson to say "I've never seen one, and I lost twenty good men to supermutant attacks so far this week, therefore I do not give a poo poo."

Ghouls are more complicated, obviously, because there's a higher proportion of sane ones. But again, I'd point out that ferals are the vast majority of the wasteland's ghoul population (and arguably the end result of all ghoulification), and are the ones who BoS soldiers fight for their lives (and for the lives of innocents) against on a regular basis. I'd argue that while their racism toward non-feral ghouls isn't right, it's at least... fathomable. It's the product of a limited set of interactions between BoS and ghouls, not just some evil ubermensch wet dream. Here's where Maxson's middle road serves the Commonwealth well... As an organization, their view on ghouls is obviously problematic, but the chapter is explicitly not going out of its way to kill non-ferals. They're not exterminating ghouls who are part of human society; they're not purging The Slog or anything. Pretending that "they'll get to that point eventually" is mere headcannon; if anything, they've slowly been getting more progressive in that department (see: Lovable Lyons' soldiers taking potshots at non-ferals in the Mall). In practice, as with supermutants, they're just shooting at the hordes of crazed monsters who are obviously a threat.

Synths are even more ethically complicated, but in the gritty, deadly world of Fallout, it's not hard to wrap your head around the Eastern Brotherhood's viewpoint: "Holy poo poo, a bunch of madmen are trying to replace humankind with walking talking realdolls. gently caress everything about that." The BoS isn't in the business about having nuanced philosophical debates about sentience; it's about intervening when humanity does some dumb poo poo and threatens to wipe itself out. The Institute certainly fits that description. Even in our cozy modern world, the idea of learning, self-replicating AI is something that keeps some of our generation's brightest minds awake at night. Of course the Brotherhood would see it as a sacred duty to dismantle the Institute's means of synth production, and in this case, I can't say that I disagree with them. I like to think that, once the possibility of AI mass production is gone, they'd take a slightly more relaxed stance (as they do with ghouls) with the few remaining peaceful synths just trying to live their lives out among the wasteland. There's a world of difference between a few AIs passing as human, and a concerted effort to make a million AIs while orchestrating a take-over of society using synths as sleeper agents.

Technology theft/appropriation is the last thing people ding Maxon's Brotherhood for, although I don't know why. Maxson's middle way is one of the best models the BoS have ever followed. Plenty of the old hardliners, East and West alike, would love to shake down every traveller for every laser pistol. Maxson doesn't give a poo poo about trinkets and baubles. He assesses serious tech threats and deals with them accordingly. It's smart; and this kind of moderation and pragmatism will be how the Brotherhood survives, and how it accomplishes the most good for humanity instead of just pissing everyone off all the time.

edit: P.S. Newsflash, Railroad, you not-even-a-real-faction weirdos, mind-wiping someone is basically just killing them

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 4, 2017

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Here's a list of ideas that are all better than bringing the BoS to yet another region for no reason:
1. A contingent of the IRA were in Boston when the bombs fell, meeting with donors and procuring weapons on the black market. They survived the initial radiation and chaos, and now hundreds of years later the New Irish Republican Army runs Boston with an iron fist.
2. Reimagining of The Master, but it's an AI that escaped CIT. It wants to borgify people instead of dipping them. Story culminates in a philosophical dilemma about the ethics of this plan like with The Master.
3. The mob survived the bombs by accident while attending the celebration of an especially lucrative construction union contract in a recently completed luxury vault. Now they run all of Boston, but old rivalries run deep and the tension between the Irish and Italian families threaten to break the city apart at the seams.
4. In a hilarious twist of fate a Royal Navy aircraft carrier was in dock at Boston when the bombs dropped. Surviving on rum and cannibalism the sailors weathered the fallout on their vessel until it was safe to emerge and resettle the Boston colony. Now the player most choose between betraying the flag he once fought under to collaborate with the hated British, or take up the cause of the Minutemen to take back Boston for the Bostonians.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

The problem I have with the railroad is their focus on saving robots while completely ignoring all the humans in trouble. They spend such vast resources on filtering out specific synths to save when they are surrounded by suffering humans.

Couldn't they have added just a single random encounter where Glory saves some human child from raiders with implications that she's going to drop the girl off in Diamond city. Just anything to add another dimension.

Also when it comes to the BOS and ghouls. I remember a ghoul in Fallout 3 mention that the brotherhoods hostility towards non-feral ghouls was kind of halfhearted anyway. They may fire on a ghoul if they see it but they don't really pursue or seek to eradicate them like they do with super mutants.

I feel like the really hosed Danse up though. Danse is Buzz Lightyear but a racist version and when he discovers that He's a synth instead of having some moment of clarity where he realizes that synths can be good people too. He instead opts to keep hating synths as much as ever and insists that he himself must die too now.

It's like they ran out of development time in the middle of his character arc so he didn't get one. In fact even Maxon is more tolerant of synth Danse than even synth Danse is which is :psyduck:

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 4, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Here's a list of ideas that are all better than bringing the BoS to yet another region for no reason:
1. A contingent of the IRA were in Boston when the bombs fell, meeting with donors and procuring weapons on the black market. They survived the initial radiation and chaos, and now hundreds of years later the New Irish Republican Army runs Boston with an iron fist.
2. Reimagining of The Master, but it's an AI that escaped CIT. It wants to borgify people instead of dipping them. Story culminates in a philosophical dilemma about the ethics of this plan like with The Master.
3. The mob survived the bombs by accident while attending the celebration of an especially lucrative construction union contract in a recently completed luxury vault. Now they run all of Boston, but old rivalries run deep and the tension between the Irish and Italian families threaten to break the city apart at the seams.
4. In a hilarious twist of fate a Royal Navy aircraft carrier was in dock at Boston when the bombs dropped. Surviving on rum and cannibalism the sailors weathered the fallout on their vessel until it was safe to emerge and resettle the Boston colony. Now the player most choose between betraying the flag he once fought under to collaborate with the hated British, or take up the cause of the Minutemen to take back Boston for the Bostonians.
All of those are good and original and therfore would, at the very best be a sidequest that was too short and great for the game

Captain Ironside should have been a faction ffs

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Deceitful Penguin posted:

All of those are good and original and therfore would, at the very best be a sidequest that was too short and great for the game

He should have been a companion*.

*Yes, the pathing would have been dreadful, but just look at him! LOOK!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

poo poo, they had everything in place to do the Mafia one, too. With all the Noir put in around Nick and Goodneighbor, it's an obvious fit.

Hell, there's a question. Why can't we make John Hancock President?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Liquid Communism posted:

If they had a narrated ending scene like the previous games, him narrating his Presidency, as secured by the Sole Survivor, could have some laughs:

"Vice-President Fahrenheit? I'm back on my bullshit again, take the reins."

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

2house2fly posted:

What makes you think they're supposed to be the good guys

:dealwithit:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Maybe I just suck at Lego but I really feel like settlement building would have been better if you just helped people restore things between certain choices offered by the settlement leader instead of you suddenly having full authority over the settlement cause you got their daughters jewelry back for them. Like just using Sanctuary Hills as an example throw wood at Sturges and he rings a wall all around the island, throw some concrete and metal and the houses get fixed up. Get a choice between turning the bridge into a dam for power or rigging it up as a big water purifier. As a bonus this system means you could do poo poo with Diamond City, Goodneighbour etc

Hancock wants you to grab a ton of electronics and chemistry poo poo and then asks whether he should make a med x fountain or a giant lickable daytripper statue in the centre of town.

Maybe keep the sandbox building for settlements you build up from nothing if it needs to be there.

Liquid Communism posted:

poo poo, they had everything in place to do the Mafia one, too. With all the Noir put in around Nick and Goodneighbor, it's an obvious fit.

Mayor McDonough probably destroyed his birth certificate.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

A Sometimes Food posted:

Maybe I just suck at Lego but I really feel like settlement building would have been better if you just helped people restore things between certain choices offered by the settlement leader instead of you suddenly having full authority over the settlement cause you got their daughters jewelry back for them. Like just using Sanctuary Hills as an example throw wood at Sturges and he rings a wall all around the island, throw some concrete and metal and the houses get fixed up. Get a choice between turning the bridge into a dam for power or rigging it up as a big water purifier. As a bonus this system means you could do poo poo with Diamond City, Goodneighbour etc

Hancock wants you to grab a ton of electronics and chemistry poo poo and then asks whether he should make a med x fountain or a giant lickable daytripper statue in the centre of town.

Maybe keep the sandbox building for settlements you build up from nothing if it needs to be there.

These are good ideas and I wish BethSoft had done them instead of latching onto their clunky-rear end base building system.

I'm glad that Transfer Settlements exists so I can just import a complete settlement and only have to worry about getting enough dudes for it.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The reason the system is as it is is because it's in game implementation of the creation kit

that's it. That's all the thought they put into it. It was a decent idea but it wasn't developed worth a poo poo.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

The reason the system is as it is is because it's in game implementation of the creation kit

that's it. That's all the thought they put into it. It was a decent idea but it wasn't developed worth a poo poo.

Yeah creating a quest to rebuild each settlement would have taken orders of magnitude more work than the workshop system, and probably would have generated less hype at release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The thing is that the system, while a lazy concept, had a shitload of promise and could have been more. Static defense missions, where you'd have limited resources to make turrets/defensive fortifications, set up traps and other poo poo is something other games have done really well. Even something as simple as being able to throw down cover in a firefight would have been great

If they'd have stolen some of the better shooting mechanics from Wolfenstein, hory shiit

• Locked thread