Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Blaze Dragon posted:

He's from SD Gundam, and from what I can see on Google, yes, he does have the fan.

Welp, sd gundam is dead to me :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

Presumably a version of SD Gundam based on the Romance, yes?

Yep. Lu Bu is a Talgeese, Diao Chan is a Quebeley, etc.

It's very strange to have SD Gundams alongside regular Gundams, but I suppose it's not any weirder than some of the other choices made in UX.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

One more mission and we’ll wrap up the Space Route. Ichitaka’s 15 kills ahead of Kenji, so he’ll likely have a solid lead on Daiya once we’re back together.

On upgrades, I’ve gotten Alto and Shinn over 50%, so their bonuses are now, respectively, Mobility +15, crit +20, movement +1, and, Mobility +15, crit +20 and A rank in Space.

Regarding squads, Voltes and Combattler are going out as event units, and while Ozma isn’t showing up in the intermission menu, he WILL be back when the mission actually starts, so you’ll need to set him in then.
Ichitaka
Shinn/Luna
Duo/Hilde
Zechs/Noin
Kenji/Kyo
Jeeg/Micchi
Heine (Gaia)/Quatre
Rey/Luca
Alto/Michel
Iczer-3/Atross
Klan/Yagyuu
Ozma/Canaria

Here we go.

We open up the Quarter, and Mishima’s up on TV, issuing a call to arms: “We sought nothing but peace after we left our homeworld. As we searched for a new planet, we asked simply for a moment of peace at this parallel Earth! But the Vajra attacked, relentless in their desire to eradicate us. We will not bend our knees to their onslaught, however! I, as the 5th president of the Frontier Fleet, solemnly swear that victory will be ours in this holiest of battles! For the people of the Frontier!
Lam is very surprised someone as young as Mishima made it president, and Monica chalks it up to the success of his operation against the Vajra. His speech at Howard’s burial was also quite moving – all in all, he gathered a lot of support. And the guy’s already showing what he’s all about, Kyo noting that the Valkyries are being equipped with some new kind of warhead.
Luca explains that it’s the MDE Warhead, L.A.I.’s newest creation and capable of creating a miniature Fold when it goes off… he only wishes they’d completed it sooner, as maybe Nanase wouldn’t have gotten hurt. But Ippei says it’s not the kid’s company’s fault; moreover, Nagisa points out, our Valkyries are also getting the goods, so he’ll need to stay strong for the battles ahead.

The fact that Mishima doesn’t seem to care that Ranka’s song isn’t available anymore to use against the Vajra makes Quatre wonder if the guy’s THAT confident in the MDE Warhead’s firepower. Ichitaka can see why Mishima’d be all hyped and raring to go, as the things are said to be even stronger than the Reactive Munitions… but knowing how he is, Heine figures Mishima would only be this excited if he was sure he had good odds of winning this.
Good for him, because Ranka is long gone. Duo says her departure was confirmed not only by Alto but by several eyewitnesses and the airlock locks of Island 1: she, Brera and that one Vajra were seen leaving.

Kenichi wonders if the Vajra’s hive is hiding somewhere in this universe, though Alice also raises the possibility that Ranka and Brera might be able to Fold back to the Highly Probably Universe with their Vajra’s help, finding their hive over there. Whatever the case, there’ll be no end to the battle with the bugs until we find and wreck the place. They’re in for a tough fight, Hyouma sighs.
Iczer-3 thinks it’s more sad than anything, figuring the best solution would just be if we could find a way to get along with the bugs (Atross is taken aback by our kindness – a far cry from the Cthulhu).
And with all this crazy stuff that’s happened with Ranka, Bobby has to wonder: what is Ozma doing? Here’s hoping he’s safe…

By Mishima’s office, he’s seen fit to call in Sheryl. She’s a “mere” indie singer now, so what use could he have for her? Well, word has reached him that she has V-Type Infection, and that it’s already reached her brain, meaning it can no longer be treated. Oh? Is he paying attention to what the paparazzi’s rumors, or did the government look into her?
Mishima won’t reveal his source, but the important thing is that her disease has opened a new avenue for her to use. You see, due to the V-Type Infection, Sheryl’s voice is now capable of generating faint Fold Waves – just like the traitor, Ranka Lee.
Does that mean Ranka’s also sick? No, it’s due to something else, though the cause is still unknown. But, regardless, Sheryl can now do what the girl could and Mishima would like to ask that she use her music to save the Frontier Fleet.

Back to the Quarter, Jeffrey’s just assembled the team to pass on some information relayed to us by the President’s Office: they’ve just received reliable intel indicating the location for the Vajra’s homeworld. Not nest, homeworld, and Kentarou says the entire place’s in the process of being Folded into this universe.
Hiyoshi and Ippei are blown away and impressed, as the best us humans can do is just warp our ships around. Regardless, once we’ve confirmed the homeworld’s location, the Frontier Fleet itself will set off to attack it.

This all seems incredibly hasty to Megumi, what with Ranka’s departure, but Kentarou figures they’ll be using Sheryl as her replacement. Alto’s taken aback by that, and the professor explains that her song can now affect the Vajra… likely due to her disease.
Alto, of course, hadn’t heard anything about that, and Michel and Klan figure we’ve no choice but to explain what’s what now.

Alto now understands what was going on with Sheryl, and Kentarou wagers Mishima’s looking at both her and the MDE Warheads as the keys to securing a victory against the Vajra. Ippei raises the fact that the Frontier’s been placed under the UN’s supervision and their actions’ restricted. Won’t unilateral actions – such as up and Folding away at the drop of a hat – make things much more difficult to control for the PLANTs and Lady Une?
Sure, but Kentarou figures Mishima doesn’t take this Earth’s protection to be needed any more. Considering how often forces of this world helped the Frontier defend against the Vajra before, that sounds very selfish to Megumi. Kenichi agrees: how can they simply turn their backs on the crisis enveloping Earth, all the people who’ve risked their lives for them?
Still, those are the options presented to the Quarter now: leave Earth with the Frontier upon Mishima’s command, or stay behind with LOTUS…

But the suddenly appearing Ozma and Cathy say balls to Mishima – that guy’s a criminal! As Bobby cries tears of joy over his return, Ozma apologizes for the worry and explains that they were being pursued by Mishima’s goons and couldn’t get in touch. Mishima’s what now?
Ozma explains how the guy used the Vajra attack as cover to kill Howard, and tried to eliminate them as witnesses. That explains a message Jeffrey received from Birler’s estate not too long ago: it said that the SMS was being disbanded and incorporated into the NUNS. Seems to Canaria that Mishima’s moving for a takeover of the SMS forces, but Ozma refuses to serve someone who killed the president to fulfill his own agenda.

Jeffrey agrees with him, figuring the Quarter’ll need to choose its fate right now, and the path is clear to him: we’ll be cutties ties with the Frontier Fleet. As Bobby scrambles to tell Micchi and Talia, Luca asks if this won’t mean we’ll be tagged as traitors.
If not that, Michel says we’ll at least be deserters, and while Luca’s still worried about Nanase, he can’t turn his back on this. Now, Ozma doubts the Frontier’ll simply let us go, so he wants everyone ready to deploy at the drop of a hat. Before we leave, however, Alto has one thing to take care of: he can’t leave Sheryl in Mishima’s hands.

Mission 31 (Space Route) – Set Out on an Interstellar Flight…

And, indeed, NUNS troops fly out after us the second we start leaving. The President’s Office is demanding we return immediately – the Quarter was never given permission to depart. Not happening, of course, and Jeffrey declares that they’re cutting ties with the Fleet and will be acting independently. The NUNS have orders to shoot us down, in that case!
Talia gets in touch and argues that the SMS is currently assigned to LOTUS, but the NUNS guys aren’t listening. This is a Frontier problem, and we better keep off unless we’re ready to face the consequences! As Meyrin detects their sights being set on us, our hands are forced. Shinn would rather not have to fight people who’ve helped protect the PLANTs before, but Rey knows we’ve no real choice here if they’re not willing to talk.
Jeffrey does apologize for pulling our folks into this, but Talia says it’s fine: we’ll just avoid fighting as much as possible and focus on leaving the area.

Alto’s left Sheryl aboard the Quarter, having quickly shown up and brought her over. She’s very confused with all the stuff going on, but explanations will have to wait a bit. In the meantime, Luca’s asking Jeffrey’s permission to use THAT – we can’t afford to hold anything back if we’re to leave here safely.
And if we’re already being tagged as traitors, Luca figures we should be ready to use all means at our disposal to pull through this and future battles. Fine, Jeffrey allows it, and Luca releases the AI limiters in his three drones. It’s time to engage that which once spread terror across Macross City: the Judah System!
And, with that, Ozma calls for formation My Soul For You. “We’ll show these mooks that we’ll fight not for Mishima, but for the future of the entire Frontier!”

Get any allied ship to the marked area, without losing either of them or the Nagahama bots. Now, despite what Talia said, you’ve no reason to avoid fighting the Frontier guys and, I think, it’s best to actually wreck them all first.
This shouldn’t come as a surprise for you, but we won’t be dealing with JUST a bevy of Macross mooks. In fact, the second a ship enters the area, you’ll be caught in a pincer attack. Not all that dangerous, but there’s no reason you should subject yourself to that in the first place.
And, as you might expect, the Frontier’s Valkyries are very dodgy, but don’t have much by way of defenses – pop Strike and go to town. I suggest you engage this group from one of its wings first, to force the other to come to you. Their missiles have rather long range, so goading them in will make things simpler.

It should also be noted, if it wasn’t clear enough, that the Valkyries now have access to new weapons: all of them have MDE Warheads, which are way stronger than the Reactive ones, and Luca now has access to his new Judah System weapon. It’s basically a better version of his Ghost weapon, which is post-movement and has 3 shots.
Pair that with all the different warheads and Luca’s one of the strongest squaddies around.

: I’d rather not fight the NUNS, but you’re not leaving me any choice…! If you’re set on stopping us from following our path… if you’re gonna try to use us and Sheryl for your schemes, then…!

--

: I get that you’re all giddy with your new weapons, but you’re not winning that war by putting all your eggs in that basket. The Vajra aren’t that weak!

: The Vajra aren’t our only enemies! Chances are the NUNS and SMS alone wouldn’t be able to keep the Frontier safe…!
: So it’s far too dangerous for you to send all of the Fleet towards the Vajra homeworld!

When you roll into the next enemy turn…

: Now what is this… the Macross Quarter is parting with the Frontier Fleet?
: Yes, sir. Moreover, it seems the Fleet’s development of an MDE Warhead has been successful… As they said, necessity is the mother of all invention.
: We can’t well not collect data on that, can we? Prepare all troops to deploy soon.
: Roger.
: What should I do?
: I want you to simply observe how they’ll fight. You’ll likely be facing them soon anyway.
: Your mission is to control my magnum opus absolutely flawlessly, so we shouldn’t rush to send you into combat.
: Copy that. Proceeding as instructed.

: Ken, these people are…!
: I know; they’re soldiers. If the orders are to fight, then they have to comply whether they want to or not!
: But we’re also on that same boat: whoever the enemy is, we have to fight!

: You think these cobbled together fighters can take us own? Someone’s really selling us short, I see!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZM6K4UjrMw
When you first use this weapon, you get this scene:

: Data collection complete. Should we relay these to the Professor’s brain?
: No, this is something we can develop by ourselves. Continue to gather data on LOTUS.
: But we should already have more than enough on these units…
: There’s only so much one can learn from videos and recorded data. I want her to observe, to experience, how these heroes fight with her own eyes.
: …
: Roger that. Carrying on.

: Look at these pirates, thinking they can commandeer our ship. We’re going in, you lot!
, Aye, aye, captain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipfbkj8HZmU
And here’s Luca’s new trick. It’s pretty good!

*Kill everything and the Quarter will move into the evac area.*

*Beep, beep!*

: We’ve multiple heat signatures closing in from 12 o’ clock! It’s!

: Come and show us that new weapon of yours. Let’s see whether or not it’ll amount to a new “potential”…
: And I believe we might as well collect some data on the NUNS as well, just in case (I might have bad news for you…)
: Those are… What are they doing here?!
: These guys always pick the worse moments to crash our parties…!
: Forward, troops! Engage and destroy the new enemies!

I guess they really did expect me to do as the captain said and make a beeline for the escape zone. Whatever the case, your objective now is to destroy all of the new enemies – if there are still NUNS troops alive, you don’t have to take them (though that’d mean less money and we know that’s no good).
As for the Valleys, they’re pretty much the same as the Orb fight. Decently bulky and hard-hitting, but our guys here are some of our strongest. Focus fire them down and do keep an eye out for opportunities to MAPW them with Rey (who should already know Valor).

Finally, you can’t hit the Imperial Valley – not even with Strike. If you tried to attack if with Hyouma, you’d get this:

: We’ve already processed data on all of your weapons. Nothing you have will work.
: That guy’s not taking us seriously…!
: He might have some trick up his sleeve. Keep an eye out!

So all you can do is take out the lesser Valleys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBSls69zyoA
Also, here’s Atross’ Iczer Bomb plus its DK.

Once three turns have passed since the Valleys’ arrival…

: No different from what the data suggested… which means the newest auto-evasion program can easily handle them. (Reported for hacking!)
: Hey, what gives?! It’s using some sort of trick?!
: That’s just like before… when I had to help Kira and Athrun!
: Anything we can do, Kosuke?!
: I’ve nothing! The enemy’s apparently analyzing and predicting any and all of our motions!
: drat it, then what’re we supposed to do?!
: What the hell are you people doing, letting the enemy get inside your heads?!
: Prof. Sakonji!
: How many battles have you fought until today?! Did you learn so little from them that the enemy can process it all just like that?!
: Get your head in the game and bring out every gram of your strength! Surpass the enemy’s predictions and your own limits!
: Surpass our limits, eh… I like the sound of that!
: This might just be the moment for us to try that again… the attack we used against the Boazans way back when!
: J-Just what’re you planning?!
: Chill, XO – we’ll handle this!

*The Combattler moves after the Imperial Valley.*

: Super Electromagnetic Tornado, followed by the Spin… I just have to avoid being hit by the Tornado, and the rest will be relatively easy to dodge.
: I don’t need to tag you with the Tornado… I just gotta do this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWwWU3GCB_8
Hyouma: Kosuke, bring our super electromagnetic energy into the red!
Kosuke: You got it, Hyouma! Forming a super EM field around the Combattler!
Juzo: Get in there, Hyouma!
Soldier: How… they stopped my movements without resorting to the Tornado?!

: Wh-what was… that attack?!
: Now, Kenichi!
: I’m on it! Here we go, guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E7kIi3HSsg
Megumi: We’re going with that move, huh?
Ippei: Just gotta think back to that hellish training we went through!
Kenichi: We’re going!
Soldier: This can’t be! Our predictions said nothing of them being able to do something like that!

: Impossible…! We should already have analyzed those units’ capabilities from top to bottom! This… this is…!
: Kch… E-Engage the emergency repair!

: What…?! An error?!
: The enemy’s movements have grown sluggish! We should be able to attack it now!
: Alright, then let’s go and finish him off for good!

: Decided to come out your hidey-hole, eh, Mr. Stalker?!
: I haven’t the time to play with you. There are too many tests left to be done…!

: Ichitaka, the more we let this battle drag on, the more they’ll be able to gather data on us!
: We still don’t know what these guys are after, but I guess nothing good’ll come out of letting them do that, yeah? Then let’s save the questions for later and just worry about trashing ‘em all quick!

: Who are you?! Why did you kidnap Ichitaka’s professor, and what did you target us for…? Answer me!
: We’ve already applied the Orb data. I should be able to keep up with him now…!

: What’s up, Red Bot? Where’d all that attitude from before go?
: I’m not finished yet! I just have to put the Imperial Valley’s full capacity to use and your measly Super Electromagnetic Robot will be easy pickings…!

The Voltes and Combattler now have a combined attack, but I forgot about it! We’ll see it next mission. :v:

: Hell, yeah!
: We did it, Hyouma!
: A very good job, all of you. That was some fine teamwork!
: Yow! Did Prof. Sakonji actually give us props?
: Hah, maybe someone oughta check if Hell’s frozen over.
: Are you volunteering, Juzo? Because I can provide some extra training that’ll send you straight there…!
: S-Sorry, sir…!
: All unknown units have retreated from the sector.

If NUNS units are still alive…

: What’re these people made of…! They drove out all of those unknowns…!
: These cowards…! It’s because you’re like that that we need to handle everything!
: But you soldiers will have to keep the Frontier safe… just be careful around Mishima.

: Here’s our chance. We’ll evacuate the area and reorganize.

: I suppose regular humans really can’t use the Imperial Valley to its full capacity…
: You’ll be leading the troops next deployment. Is that fine with you?
: Yes, master. It is no problem at all.

: Sorry for dragging you like that, but I didn’t want to leave you in Mishima’s hands. Not in the state you’re in…
: Aaah… You’ve heard about it, huh? And you were the one person I really didn’t want to find out…
: Sheryl, please… stop pushing yourself. You don’t need to force a smile, or carry on with that act anymore…
: No!
: !
: I’m going to keep singing – I have to keep singing! That’s the only way I’ll leave proof that I ever existed…!
: Sheryl…
: But… it’s almost too much. I’m all alone, watching as my life crumbles away… and it scares me…!
: Strange, isn’t it…? I’m Sheryl Nome… I’d decided to live the rest of my life like that, and look at me now…
: … I’ll be right there with you!
: Alto…
: If you’re going to sing, then I’ll stay by your side until the very last moment!
: Alto…
: … Alto, please grant me some courage. Just enough to carry on singing for as long as I can…!
: Sheryl…

By Talia’s office, she informs Durandal of Mishima breaking the Frontier’s treaty with the UN. If nothing’s done, won’t this be a heavy blow to Durandal, and the PLANTs’, position? Indeed, and Durandal’s disappointed: he’d hoped to hold talks with the guy. But it’s already too late, as Durandal informs that, just now, the Frontier Fleet Folded out of the solar system before the PLANTs could do anything to keep them in check.
Talia sees that their attack on us was meant to do nothing but stall for time as they prepared to leave, and Durandal figures they all fell for Mishima’s plan. Whatever the case, he’ll figure out what to do about this. In the meantime, he has intel for Talia: they’ve finally located Djibril.
So the time has come to track down the Logos remnants, and Durandal’s already requested LOTUS’ support with it. Once the Earth troops are up top, the Minerva and the rest of our group will rendezvous with them and pursue Djibril.

Cut to the Quarter’s briefing room, Ozma hands a disc to Kentarou. It’s filled with data he and Cathy gathered from the government computers while they were investigating Mishima; among which, some worrying information regarding Grace. Luca remembers Sheryl’s former manager (and Ranka’s current one) and, when Kenichi asks, Ozma says she was the one who suggested that Mishima weaponized the singers’ music against the Vajra.
Kentarou figures Ozma is worried that the lady might have her own plans, and Sheryl steps in, demanding they let her in on this conversation. From what Grace herself said, she deliberately gave Sheryl the V-Type Infection after picking her up from the Macross Galaxy’s slums. As the disease developed, her singing started to affect the Vajra apparently – and Grace sought to have her work as a tool for Mishima’s plot.

Nagisa’s appalled over the woman using Sheryl’s life as a plaything, but she disagrees: she’s not being used, and never will be. “My life belongs to no one but me. Everything I’ve done to this day, I did because I wanted to – and I’ll carry on living that way. I am Sheryl Nome!”
Well, Michel figures Alto’ll have to be there for her all the way – he’s the only one who could manage to lift her spirits like that. And he’s alright with that: “Sheryl… I swear I’ll be your rock,” he thinks.

Now, Alice hands Sheryl a fresh batch of her medicine and asks that she keep taking it. It should at least allow her to carry on with her everyday life. Sheryl’s not one to ignore doctor’s orders, so she promises.
All that said, there’s still one big question in Ichitaka’s eyes: Brera. We’ve been told that he’d been taking orders from the government, but, from what Ozma’s found, his recent escapade wasn’t part of that. There was no information whatsoever about it on the data they found.
But Zechs figures we’ll have to worry about him later. Right now, we should focus on dealing with Lord Djibril. Inwardly, though, Ozma prays that Ranka’s safe.

Speaking of, we find Brera and Ranka out in the middle of nowhere, some distant corner in space. She thanks him for helping her with this, flying all the way here, but he was eager to help. He was supposed to be no more than a fighting machine, but when he heard her sing, something washed over him – this is him paying her back for it.
Ai-kun’s still bouncing around, and Ranka tells him it won’t be long before he’s home. With that, she starts singing Aimo…

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 29, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

Talia: Here’s our chance. We’ll evacuate the area and reorganize.

Missing a portrait here.

Also I don't remember anything about Frontier apparently because I have no idea what the Judah System is or what's going on anymore, beyond a vague memory of Luca not betraying the Frontier here.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Missing a portrait here.

Also I don't remember anything about Frontier apparently because I have no idea what the Judah System is or what's going on anymore, beyond a vague memory of Luca not betraying the Frontier here.

Fixed. And maybe this will help you remember the Judah System:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSHTjAUyf1w

It's what was used to make the Ghost X-9s Guld-splattering good.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Brunom1 posted:

: I’d rather not fight the NUNS,

I know how you feel Alto.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The songpocalypse seems to be upon us. Interested to see where the game is taking this.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
And this is why you don't rely on an automatic evasion system alone. Some guy may just decide to fly in circles around you, which is obviously not an attack, resulting in the automated response of *do nothing* until it is too late.

Also on Voltes' new attack. Deploy barf bags! That cut-in of Kenichi spinning made me laugh.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Is this the first time Voltes has done anything in this game ever? I completely forgot they were in the game.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Is this the first time Voltes has done anything in this game ever? I completely forgot they were in the game.

Before I can tell you that, I need to remember which one is Voltes and which one is Combattler, and also which one was part of the Frontier's universe.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

maninthesuit posted:

And this is why you don't rely on an automatic evasion system alone. Some guy may just decide to fly in circles around you, which is obviously not an attack, resulting in the automated response of *do nothing* until it is too late.

More like the guy was auto-dodging everything they'd previously seen us use. His hax can't do anything against new attacks, though, because the pilot's actually garbage and wholly relying on the Imperial Valley.

Alacron posted:

Before I can tell you that, I need to remember which one is Voltes and which one is Combattler, and also which one was part of the Frontier's universe.

Voltes is from the Frontier universe, having been picked up by the fleet and joining the SMS way back at the first mission.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Alacron posted:

Combattler V was the one with the V and Voltes V was the one with the V... Or was it the other way around?

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
Voltes is the one with the sword, Combattler is the one that spins a lot. Also, Combattler V has a face with the Iron Giant's mouth. Voltes V has more of a flat faceplate that looks vaguely gundam-like.

maninthesuit fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 30, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah, Combattler and Voltes...kind of just exist in this game, mostly for some odd story fluff and to fill out the roster. Which is odd since this is the first time SRW has actually had the two teams grow separately of each other (as opposed to the, for a lack of a better term, "friendly neighbors down the street" vibe the two teams usually go for), and yet nothing really gets done with the setup. The teams show up, hang around with everyone else, then get their new (as in, debuting for the first time in the franchise) attacks and...that's all for Combattler and Voltes. This isn't something that's new to the franchise (Char's Counterattack has appeared more often as a legal excuse for Amuro to fart out the Nu Gundam than serving as part of the plot), but for something like the DS games where there's a smaller cast size and thus more opportunity to play around with the featured series, Combattler and Voltes get very limited attention in the grand scheme of things.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Yeah, Combattler and Voltes...kind of just exist in this game, mostly for some odd story fluff and to fill out the roster. Which is odd since this is the first time SRW has actually had the two teams grow separately of each other (as opposed to the, for a lack of a better term, "friendly neighbors down the street" vibe the two teams usually go for), and yet nothing really gets done with the setup. The teams show up, hang around with everyone else, then get their new (as in, debuting for the first time in the franchise) attacks and...that's all for Combattler and Voltes. This isn't something that's new to the franchise (Char's Counterattack has appeared more often as a legal excuse for Amuro to fart out the Nu Gundam than serving as part of the plot), but for something like the DS games where there's a smaller cast size and thus more opportunity to play around with the featured series, Combattler and Voltes get very limited attention in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, they're pretty much members of different series' teams: the Voltes is with the SMS, and the Combattler's with the Dannar Base.

As a matter of fact, judging by a few throwaway lines and a complete lack of namedrops so far, I'm being lead to believe that the Campbellians never even invaded in this world. There's been NO mention of them at all, and Hyouma did say this on mission 3, when the Cthulhu first showed up:

quote:

: You think those are the invaders from space that Dr. Nanbara warned us about?!

So, yeah, apparently the Combattler's been just hunting Mimetic Beasts before all this started.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Brunom1 posted:

So, yeah, apparently the Combattler's been just hunting Mimetic Beasts before all this started.

Gotta grind on them low-level beasties before you get started on the main plot, after all!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Brunom1 posted:

As a matter of fact, judging by a few throwaway lines and a complete lack of namedrops so far, I'm being lead to believe that the Campbellians never even invaded in this world. There's been NO mention of them at all, and Hyouma did say this on mission 3, when the Cthulhu first showed up:

That would make for a hilarious epilogue to have the Campbellians show up after everything is said and done and have get stomped by a fully staffed and upgraded LOTUS.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Has SRW ever even really bothered with Combattler's plot?

Is it even worth bothering with?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sordas Volantyr posted:

not sure about combattler, but voles v actually has a pretty good story for the time. still loaded with monster of the week episodes but its definitely a cut above a lot of the other super robot shows of the day. and it's an icon of cultural revolution in the Philippines, which is cool.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Sordas Volantyr posted:

IIRC, the Campbellians take up the first half (or third, I forget which) of the plot, which has been done before in several previous titles. Unfortunately, Combattler's plot apparently goes off the rails after the Campbellian stuff is taken care of (my knowledge of the Nagahama shows comes from SRW, so I'm not the most reliable source here), so SRW usually either has Voltes and/or Daimos' plots slide on in to fill in the gaps. As you can guess, Combattler's problem is that it only has enough material for part of a game, thus outside of its debut in SRW 3, Combattler very rarely runs solo in SRW. By contrast, Voltes and Daimos have enough meat to their stories to mostly carry their weight, as we've seen with SRW Alpha 3 in Daimos' case (and in MX, Daimos had enough weight to not feel like something tacked on) and other titles like SRW J, where it heavily features Voltes' plot with Combattler riding shotgun as the secondary protagonist at times.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Until the end of Combattler V's first half (Which coincidentally, is all SRW bothers to adapt AFAIK) the show is worth adapting, We've seen it use parts of it in SRW before, but I don't ever recall seeing the whole thing.

Part 2 becomes very goofy and monster of the weekish. As I said once, my biggest surprise with Combattler V, is how much of an rear end in a top hat Hyouma, Juzo and really the whole team except Chizuru are. Go watch the first episode of Combattler V, Hyouma leads the police on a merry chase while speeding on his motorcycle, and when finally pulled over, just whips out his immunity from the japanese minister I believe. Juzo carries his rifle in the open and does the same despite unnerving the bus he's on.

Hell it's implied the 4 boys only really accepted the job because Chizuru gave them wowzers in their trousers (which is not uncommon for 70's mecha. After all, the Dynamic Pro anime of Getter Robo basically had Michiru as the pilots reasons for even wanting to get in the machines.)

Combattler V is worth watching, if only to learn the origin of the Choudenjii Yo Yo. I think it's like... an episode or two after they get the drunk rear end doctor as their new mentor and someone points out "Hey there's a Yoyo exhibition on the TV" Cut to, I poo poo you loving not, about a minute of live action yo yo footage. It's the most bizarre loving thing.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 1, 2017

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Onmi posted:

Until the end of Combattler V's first half (Which coincidentally, is all SRW bothers to adapt AFAIK) the show is worth adapting, We've seen it use parts of it in SRW before, but I don't ever recall seeing the whole thing.

Did you mean the guy with a metal plate over his eye and his spiky headed older brother? Cause if so, Advance/A Portable and Alpha 3.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The first chunk of Combattler (the Garuda/Oreanna arc) is in the Classic series, Alpha, C2/Impact and in C3 though it is truncated in some of them. For example, in C3 it is just one stage.

The latter chunk of Combattler (the Janella/Danger/Warchimedes arc) is in A, R, 64, Impact, Scramble Commander 2nd and Alpha 3. In most of these the enemies come to Earth and join the super robot baddies alliance. I think you only get to visit their planet and meet Deus in Alpha 3.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm four months behind the LP and probably won't catch up before you finish, but I wanted to chime in. L seems a lot more subdued than W. The stages are going by quicker and everything seems to have a lot less gravitas. I wanted to say that it feels like you're rushing the stages (and there are a few that feel that way), but I've been playing along, and the stages really do go by a lot quicker, and with less reinforcements. Of the first 11 stages, the stage where Nagisa and Koichi finally join up has been the best.

One thing I really miss is the intermission update that you did in W. I enjoyed seeing all the detail you went into into upgrading the units and pilots. Although a good chunk of that is that I like Luck/Bless spamming and seeing how much money I can make.

Brunom1 posted:

: Carrying on, we’ve Rachel Calvin versus Kosuke Kita! The genius girl versus the brilliant boy!
: I’m winning this one, Kosuke!
: I say the same!
: We’ll be asking questions from the grad school world championship quizzes of the past ten years. First question: who is known for the discovery of superc—
: Heike Kamerlingh Onnes!
: Correct! Second question: what diagram plots the absolute magnitude of sta—
: The Hertzsprung-Russell Diagram!
: Correct!
: Not bad, Kosuke.
: You, too. But this competition’s just getting started!
: They’re not even listening to the whole question before answering…
: I’ve the sinking feeling they’ve memorized all questions ever given in those tests.
: What the Christ…

Yes, some of us nerds did that. The grammatical error is always "mixed metaphor", the genre of music is always Jazz, and twice, we managed to solve a math problem without hearing all of it (but that was from accidentally buzzing in too early, not having memorized a math problem).

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

General Revil posted:

One thing I really miss is the intermission update that you did in W. I enjoyed seeing all the detail you went into into upgrading the units and pilots. Although a good chunk of that is that I like Luck/Bless spamming and seeing how much money I can make.

Sorry, time constraints meant I had to simplify the gameplay related stuff in order to make sure I could get at least one update out per week. Between that and skimping out on plot detail, that seemed like the better end to cut back on.

More often than not, I really only have the weekend to get through recording, translating AND putting the update together, so I can't go as in-depth on that front as I did before. I try to point out who I poured cash into every update, but I really can't tarry there. :eng99:

Yesterday was a holiday for me, though, so I had some extra free hours! Expect the next mission later today, folks.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 3, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Can't wait. It'll be nice to finally understand what happened in L

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brunom1 posted:

Sorry, time constraints meant I had to simplify the gameplay related stuff in order to make sure I could get at least one update out per week. Between that and skimping out on plot detail, that seemed like the better end to cut back on.

I feel you. Time constraints are the bane of my existence. If it weren't for time constraints, SRW GC would have been translated instead of dead.

And yes, I'd rather you skimp on the upgrade menu than on the plot.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

And we are back from the route split – it’s now just a strait shot to the end! And, indeed, Ichitaka’s Vajra rampages have given him a sizeable lead over Daiya and Kenji. Can he keep that through the 10 missions we’ve left?

Few upgrades went to some squaddies, but the more important part is that Mazinkaiser came 40% upgraded and is now up to 50. Its squad bonus is now Armor + 200, Dodge + 15, with Tetsuya also taking a few pips.
And, in case you’re wondering, our new Katou friends all come 40% upgraded as well.

Ichitaka and Shinn are deploying as event units and, much to my dismay, we’re only allowed 12 slots in the upcoming mission. As such, the squads we’ll be deploying are:
Kouichi/Quatre
Daiya/Deceive
Lee/Norza
Kenji/Kyo
Shinji/Rey
Kouji/Sawatari (accelerate and flies – that’s all I care)
Tetsuya/Canaria
Dancouga/Hilde
Goh/Yanma
Eida/Anna
Combattler/Miu (shrug)
Voltes/Puria

We’ll give Wufei and Yulianne some time to play later on.

Forward!

We open up at the moon’s Daedalus Base, where Djibril’s just arrived. He’s very much cross with the Coordinators (more so than usual, at least) for reducing his life to such indignity and asks how are preparations for THAT.
His goon says it’ll be good to go very soon and Djibril’s glad – his only regret is that he won’t get to see the horror that’ll set in Durandal’s face. When Relena asks what he’s up to, he says he’s just going to “play a little song”.
A song? “Yes, a requiem for all of the space monsters.”

Cut to the Flag, already in space, and it’s catch-up time. Here are the important/amusing bits:
  • As Ishigami explains that Reiji attacked us to push Kouichi into growing as a Factor, it turns out Sawatari and the other Katou captains weren’t really in on their boss’ actual agenda – they were fighting us legit, unlike FiveheadWufei. He tells Sawatari that he didn’t outright know, but he had an inkling of what was up after using some of their vaunted IMAGINATION. Not his problem the others couldn’t do the same.
  • FYI, as Rey and Kouichi point out, none of this excuses all the crap the Katou Organization has done – we just have bigger, interdimensional, fish to fry right now.
  • Asuka singles out “the Cthulhu girl” among our space crew, but Iczer-3 tells her not to say that: Atross is our friend now. Indeed, the girl declares she’s made up her mind to help Nagisa and her allies, and if Asuka thinks that’s stupid – so be it. “That’s stupid,” she immediately proclaims… then continues, “But we’re all just as bad, so I won’t say anything. Strength and stupidity seem to go hand-in-hand, I guess.” Atross is grateful to hear that.
  • Dick extends his condolences to Klan over what happened to Michel (if you let him get wrecked), but she says all of them were aware death was a possibility whenever they deployed. Lou, however, tells her not to let revenge become the sole driving force in her life and Klan understands. And she’s a Zentran, so she’ll just be ready to fight when the time is right (Nene can see that she’s masking her feelings, but says nothing).

So, good news is that teaming up with the Katou Organization has taken one enemy faction of our plate… but, as Reiji points out, that spot has been taken by Central, so we’re not better off. Plus there’s still the Vajra, Moon WILL, the Logos remnants, the Cthulhu and that mysterious group that the Archangel team was chasing. Katou actually knows who those guys are: the New United Nations Government, the ruling body of the regular humans in the Highly Probable World!
As Luca gasps, Katou asks how much Cathy’s aware of the situation on their homeworld after the Frontier’s departure. All she heard from Mishima is that the Government had gotten into a war with someone, and Katou clears up the writing on the wall: the enemy in said war was Central.
That strikes Ichitaka as weird since, as he heard, when those guys attacked Misaki and kidnapped Grife, Katou’s group ignored them. If they were posing as Central’s allies back then, shouldn’t they have attacked?

Not quite, and Katou will take this opportunity to explain: Central and the New United Nations Government are now allies. When he said Central’d deemed them to have the potential to be useful to the whole, this is what he meant. You see, the Highly Probable World is not only haunted by a chronic energy deficiency, but was also previously assailed by alien invaders.
As Alto knows, that is what lead to them dispatching the Macross fleets out into space. Another way the Government found to deal with the energy crisis was to start fusing cybernetic implants into people.
But while doing so is perfectly legal in some Macross Fleets, many on Earth looked at it with fear and suspicion. Thus, those who’d undergone full integration with machines – the Machina-Humans – were rounded up away from the eye of the common folk.

That’s the first Nagisa’s ever heard of that, but Katou isn’t surprised. The New United Nations Government is very adept at information control, and they’ve kept much from ever becoming public knowledge – going back as far as the incident where Sharon Apple, a groundbreaking AI, went out of control… though Luca should be privy to details on that.
Whatever the case, the secluded Machina-Humans began secretly bolstering their numbers and, guided by their collective consciousness seeking more and more efficiency, produced the combat-specialized Machinas and declared war on humanity.
The humans had a very difficult fight on their hands, compounded by the energy shortage. But it all eventually ended in a cease-fire put together by an anti-war faction within the New United Nations Government. They were hailed as heroes by the people, and in very short time, saw a huge increase in their power and influence.
They gave Central sovereignty over its territory, and even brokered the construction of city meant as a hub of cultural and technological exchange between humans and Machina-Humans. It was in that city where Emi, Katou and Amagatsu lived. In Central’s eyes, that city facilitated its survey of what kind of technologies humanity was creating.

Amagatsu Kizaki was especially worthy of attention for Central, with his development of Factor technology, various Assault Machinas and trans-dimensional travel. The guy carried on his research, playing at the loyal scientist, and eventually built the Linebarrel – the ultimate Machina-Kiler – in secret.
Amagatsu teleported the Assault Machinas he’d been developing into this world… and that was when Central decided he had to go, culminating in Katou having to kill him. His “loyalty” assured, Katou came to this world and arrived twenty years ago, way before Emi got through (Time displacement? Was Emi put in stasis for those decades, like in the manga? The anime doesn't explain.), whereupon he formed his Organization and began searching for the Machinas Amagatsu sent over.
However, right after the Second Impact had hit, he ran into someone else from the Highly Probable World – someone who’d made the jump around the same time he did.

That’d be one Ludo Gloria – the goddamn PRESIDENT of the New United Nations Government, and the founder of GreAT in this world. Seems to Rachel that we were right to suspect the company. The man, in order to keep what remained of mankind from being turned into a Machinas, struck a deal with Central: he’d come to this world and look for any tech and intellectually-gifted people that could be useful for the collectivity.
GreAT and the Katou Organization cooperated with one another every now and then, but Katou can’t give us more details on the front. All dealings with that group were handled by Masaki, so, much to his embarrassment, he doesn’t know anything else.

Ichitaka won’t give him crap, but at the very least he and Alice now know why they took Grife and kept on stalking us: it’s all part of their scheme to bring Central new goodies. LOTUS is a cornucopia of valuable samples, with all our myriad high-tech units and, as WILL put it, the massive potential we have.
That makes it all but certain to Hiroshi that they’ll be coming after us again, but Kouji isn’t scared now that we’re starting to understand what we’re dealing with. First things first, though, Rey says we need to deal with Djibril. Misato and Ozma agree, being especially worried as to what that crazy guy my try to pull now that he’s backed against the wall.

We’re interrupted when the alarm sounds and Emi gets a startling message: something has just attacked the PLANTs’ Januarius colonies, causing catastrophic damage!
Shinn, Lunamaria, everyone is dumbstruck as images of the destruction arrive, and we get a transmission from Durandal soon after. When Talia asks, he says Djibril is the one behind it, having blasted the colonies with a weapon at the Daedalus Base.
But isn’t said base at the far side of the moon, Quatre points out – it shouldn’t be capable of getting an angle to fire at the PLANTs. Durandal sighs that they also thought the same, which is why they were only keeping an eye on Logos’ Arzachel Base (which has line of sight with the PLANTs). None of them expected the enemy to be capable of something like this.

As data starts coming in, Rey realizes the problem: Logos has retrofitted a bunch of abandoned colonies as gigantic relay stations to deflect their beam blast in any direction they wish – nowhere is safe.
Rey grunts that the deaths of all these people are our responsibility since we didn’t kill Djibril back at Orb, but Talia says dwelling on the past won’t help. We need to think of something to do NOW, and Durandal agrees: Daedalus Base needs to be assaulted, conquered, and Djibril has to be dealt with immediately.
It’s high time put a full stop to this war, Misato thinks, and Durandal wishes us all good luck in our offensive.

Now, if you did things differently from what we did…

: drat that Djibril… I won’t let him kill any more innocents…!
: Don’t beat yourself over this… the guy’s escape at Orb was GreAT’s fault – they’re the ones to blame.
: Maybe, but I can’t bring myself to look at it like that… whoever’s at fault, the fact is all the lives that’ve been taking will never come back…!
: Shinn, I know you’re getting ready to deploy, but there was someone who insisted on seeing you immediately.
: Someone…?
: Yes. You see, the Flag’s infirmary and other facilities were the ones at JUDA HQ, so…
: Shiiiiiiiiinn!

*Jumping hug!*

: S-Stella! What’re you doing here? Should you really be up and about?!
: Yes, I’m all better, so I asked them to let me see you!
: You’re “all better”… really?
: Hmhmm. Everyone came through and we manage to fully heal the side-effects of her Extended conditioning.
: So she can go on living as a regular girl?
: Yes, she can!
: Oh, thank god… I’m so happy for you, Stella.
: Thanks, but… Shinn, I’m also going to be fighting with you!
: Fight with— S-Stella, no! You don’t have to take part in anything like that anymore.
: I’m only here because you and your friends helped me… So now I want to help you all back!
: Stella…
: I can see where she’s coming from. Having to just sit and watch as people that are dear to you throw themselves into the fire is very, very tough…
: We understand that you don’t want her to get wrapped up in another battle, but if she’s that important to you, then I think there are times where you should respect her wishes.
: Anna… Goh… Alright, Stella. But please don’t do anything crazy out there. This next battle will be a lot tougher from the ones before.
: Okay! I’ll help in any way I can!

Elsewhere, the Eternal crew has pinged GreAT’s forces headed for Daedalus Base as well. Makes sense to Waltfeld and Mu, especially in light of the new intel LOTUS sent them IDing the guys as essentially an R&D team for Central.
A giant beam cannon and colonies capable of relaying it to attack anywhere sounds like something they’d be interested in, alright. Lacus feels like the time has come for the Eternal to step into the limelight, so she tells Kira and the others to set a course for Daedalus.

Mission 32 – The Song That Was Played

: ZAFT troops are now engaging our forces at satellite orbit!
: Hmph, they don’t know when they’re beaten… the next REQUIEM shot will obliterate Aprillius, and with Durandal gone, that’ll be check mate.
: You… How could you create something like this…?!
: Because I had to – it is a mighty crucible with which to purify space. And once that’s all done, you’ll rise to lead the Earth Sphere… just like the good old days, “Queen Relena”.
: Don’t be ridiculous! I’d never go along with that a plan like that!
: Your wants matter absolutely nothing. I just need you to look the part… and I have many ways to make that happen.
: (Heero… at this rate, I…!)

: LOTUS?! What’re they doing here?!
: The majority of the enemy forces are currently engaging the fleet at satellite orbit!
: Looks like the plan went off without a hitch. All that’s left now is to bring down Daedalus Base!
: Rrgh, deploy all remaining troops! Do whatever it takes to hold that line!

: HYAHAHAHAHAHA! Look at all these annoying little flies! I’m gonna squish you all into paste!
: That voice… It’s the Extended we fought at Heaven’s Base…!
: Sting, stop! It’s me, Stella! Come with me, please!
: Stella…? I dunno any Stella! I’ve always killed alone, and that’s exactly what I’ll do here!
: They went overboard with his adjustments… he’s gone…
: All we can do now is put him out of his misery, then.
: Sting…

If you didn’t get Stella, it’ll be Shinn speaking in her place, only with more “angry” and less “sad”.

One last battle with Logos, and they bring absolutely nothing new to the table. We, on the other hand, are even stronger than during our battle at Orb, so even with the reduced numbers, we’ll carve a bloody swathe through them. Just don’t lose a ship, Ichitaka or Shinn.
In the interest of saving time, I say try to have Rey MAPW the Destroy pack and shave off about half their health with Valor. Aside from that, it’s no different from what we did before – easier, even, because they’ll packed in a tighter area.
Sting’s by far the bigger threat, but he can easily be burned down before he has a chance to do any damage with his own MAPW.

As you’re approaching, on turn 2…

: What are you all doing?! Isn’t REQUIEM done charging yet?!
: Currently at 70%! Just a few more minutes…
: No, this is good enough! Aim the blast at LOTUS! Once they’re out of the picture, there won’t be anyone capable of stopping us…!

*Alarm!*

: …! Energy spike within Daedalus Base! I think it’s the weapon that attacked the PLANTs!
: They’re targeting us! All troops, evasive maneuvers!
: We can’t! There’s not enough time…!
: I’m afraid this is where we part, LOTUS. Goodbye.

*Energy Charge!*

: Kch… Wh-What happened?!
: Someone’s attacked REQUIEM! The muzzle… has been destroyed…!
: Whaaat?!

: There you are, Heero.
: Yeesh… the guy always knows the right time to pop out the woodwork.
: Lord Djibril… I’m taking Relena back today.
Blast you straight to hell, Heero Yui…! How dare you destroy my beautiful REQUIEM!
: But that doesn’t mean this is over! And where is the ambush we had set up?!
: We have nothing, Mr. Djibril! We can’t get in touch with him!
: What?! D-Did he abandon me…?!
: You pathetic man… even now you haven’t realized how you have been played.
: S-Shut your mouth…! This isn’t over yet! I just have to win this one battle…!

Don’t lose Heero either. Now off we go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCOgVqJwNjg
Here’s the DK for Sawatari’s best trick.

Oh, by the way, the Linebarrel can’t use Trans-Am yet. That said, he now has fully unlocked the Override attack and skill!

: You won’t be making anyone else miserable…! The Destiny and I’ll put the final nail into Logos’ coffin today!

: The world Gil envisions has no place for someone like Lord Djibril. Your insane agenda has gone on for far too long…!

: I won’t be leaving here without Relena… Anyone who gets in the way won’t be there for long…!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNYmrV3Z8Do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9r5yse7QZw
:pcgaming: And I found worthy targets to showcase the very swanky DKs for the Nagahamas’ new attacks! :pcgaming:
Can you hear Kenichi yelling VOOOOOLTES FIIIIIIIIIIVE inside your head? I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PtRRH3YjUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3cqnjG6Pc0
Also, drat, did they go all-out with this attack. Glorious.

Sting’s about to get blown to kingdom come by a valored Face Open: The Great, so here’s what Stella had to say to him:

: Please, Sting! Come with us! You can’t stay with them!
: Aah? Who the hell are you?!
: Well, whatever, I can kill you first and then deal with the others! I feel like a million bucks right now!

: HYAAHAHAHAHA! Burn! Burn! Everything is burning…!
: Stiiiiiing!
: …!
: Ste…lla…?
: Sting?!
: He went back to normal?!
: You were… alive… Stella…
: Yes, and we can all live together, Sting! I don’t… I don’t want anyone else to die…!
: You said… Hah… You’re a normal girl again… Glad to see that… Stella…
: Sting, eject! Quick! You can’t die!
: Sorry… But I can’t just… let Auel by himself. He’ll get lonely…
: Be happy… Stella…

*His Destroy explodes.*

: S-STIIIIIIIIIIING…!
: The Extended… yet another group victimized by this war…
: Thank you… Sting… and goodbye…

: Looks like that’s all of them.
: Stop right there, LOTUS.
: Lord Djibril… are you finally ready to call it quits?
: Hardly. Did you forget that I still have Vice-Foreign Minister Darlian here with me?
: Djibril…!
: You seriously gonna try a cheap shot like that, ya crook?!
: Victory is all that’s important, not how you achieve it. Now, if you would, put down your weapons and surrender immediately.
: C-Captain…
: What will it be, then…?
: Do not worry about me! Just stop him!
: Hah, do you think any of them would be capable of doing anything like that?

*Heero charges towards REQUIEM!*

: Wha?! Did you not hear what I said? I—
: Forget me, Heero. Just destroy us both.
: Mission… accepted.
: Ha-Hahahaha… You’re bluffing. You won’t actually shoo—

: He actually shot?!
: Let him handle this one, guys.

: H-He’s aiming right at us…! Does he not care what happens to her?!
: Your threats won’t work on him. Accept your defeat and surrender, I say.
: Hrm! No, not yet…! The Arzachel Base is still under my control! If I can just make it there…!
: He’s trying to run off again!
: Not this time, Djibril…

: (Hold on, Relena.)
: This way, Heero.
: Your infiltration mission is also ending today, it seems.
: Save that for later. Djibril is not too far – follow me.

Little bit later…

: Contact! There they are!
: Djibril went through there. Go. I’ll hold them off.
: Sorry for this. I’ll see you soon…!

: drat it all, I can’t die yet…!

*:tfrxmas:*

: Stop right there, Djibril. Let Relena go.
: Heero!
: No, you stop! Do you not care if this woman dies?!
: If you want to shoot me, then be my guest. I’m ready to face my end.
: Wh-What… You lie…!
: Shoot her if you will. But the moment you pull that trigger…
: I’ll kill you.
: Tch…! drat it!

*Throws Relena!*

: Aah!
: Relena!
: Now’s my chance!

*Runs off.*

: Are you alright?
: I am. Thank you, Heero… but Djibril…
: … He won’t be a problem.

: Hurry! Get us to Arzachel Base! I can still—

*Shinn intercepts!*

: Wh-What…?!
: You’re not getting away today! The world that gave birth to men like me… it ends, here and now, with you!
: S-Stop! STOOOOOOP!!

“Djibril! I’ll never forgive you for what you’ve done! Ever!”

“So many people died because of you!”

“I won’t let you create any more war!”

“You’re finished!”

: I-I’m the one meant to rule this world…! I-I cannot… GAAAAAAAARGH!!

: And so ends Logos…

: It’s already done, it seems.
: Heero, Trowa! You’re safe!
: And by the looks of things, they’re also got the lady back all safe and sound.
: My sincerest thanks, LOTUS. With Djibril gone and the remaining Logos members already in custody, their organization is, for all intents and purposes, finished.
: Dad, mom… Mayu… I’ve done it. It might just be a small step in the right direction, but at least we’ve ended this war…
: Shinn…
: Don’t let your guard down just yet, Shinn!

: The Archangel! And the Eternal!
: Be careful. They’re coming!

*Alarm!*

: Multiple signals closing in overhead! It… It’s GreAT!

: They’ve broken through all those defending forces and destroyed REQUIEM… Impressive. Their growth is far exceeding our expectations.
: That said, my AI should also be perfect now… let’s put it to the test.
: You’re still hounding us to collect our data?!
: … Wait, was that voice just now—?!
: Haruno? Is that you?!
: Not quite. I am HL-1… a new defense mechanism “potential” created by Prof. Kral Grife’s brain.
: I see… so you’re kind of like her sister?
: Yes, though our basic design philosophies are very different… and the professor didn’t voluntarily create me, either.
: What…?!
: You… How much did you hurt Grife to force him to do as told?!
: You misunderstand; we did not actively force him. Rather, we simply analyzed his brain waves… Boazan technology is a thing of wonder, you see.
: … And just to confirm our suspicions, tell us: what are you all after?
: You already know what: survey all the technology, the weaponry, present within LOTUS that has the potential to be deemed useful by Central. Nothing more, nothing less.
: Alright, I think I’ve had enough of your shtick. If you wanna see what we’re about, how strong we are, then we’ll show you ‘til your eyes pop out!
: Do it, then. Help me experience the full might of the strongest fighting force in the Earth Sphere.
: All troops, pull yourselves back together and set forth! Everything we did would be for nothing if we were beaten here!
: Mission… accepted.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 3, 2017

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

You might not have realized it, since she didn’t speak, but we actually got a new surprise addition to our forces!

Dom Trooper (Hilda Harken)
Pilot Skills:
Sword Cut
Shoot Down
Shield Defense
Support Attack L2
Support Defense L2
Attack Combo L2
Spirit Commands:
Focus
Accelerate
Vigor
Alert
Valor
Squad Bonus: 1000 Barrier, Armor +100, Crit rate +10

How’s that for a surprise? You get SEED’s phony Black Tri-Stars (though Mars and Herbert are attack only)! You can’t really expect the world from Doms, but it’s decent enough (range tops at 3, so that ain’t great) and Hilda isn’t a bad pilot at all. The squad bonus is a nice fit for a Super, too.
All in all, Hilda is purely squaddie fodder, but she could do a lot worse in that department than what she got.

Eternal (Lacus Clyne, Martin DaCosta)
Pilot Skills:
SEED
Shoot Down
Commander L3
Support Attack L2
Support Defense L2
Attack Combo L2
Spirit Commands - Lacus:
Bless
Cheer
Mercy
Daunt
Sense
Spirit Commands - DaCosta:
Accelerate
Invincible
Strike
Iron Wall
Valor
Unit Features:
Gun
Repair Module
Resupply Module
Squad Bonus: EN +50

Rinse and repeat what I said in W and Z1: Lacus is, as always, one of the best pure support units in the game. Cheer and Bless in one unit is always good, her SEED bonus paired with DaCosta’s spirits means the ship isn’t helpless in combat (though it’s not the best there, what with its crap armor) and it being around allows Kira and Athrun to use their METEOR combo attacks.
If you’re deploying the SEED boys, deploying the Eternal should be something to be considered. That said, if you don’t want to, you can probably make do without since they also have a combo attack of their own.

Imperial Valley (HL-1)
Pilot Skills:
Sword Cut
Shoot Down
Counter
Break Morale Limit
Guard
Prevail L7
Support Attack L3
Support Defense L3
Attack Combo L2

That’s a very extensive list of skills, and HL-1 does justice to all the hype with massive stats across the board – it’s not just a random mook relying on auto-dodge to win! On the other hand, the Imperial Valley is not all that different from before; if you didn’t go too crazy with your SP, you should have enough for Valors and Strikes, so HL-1 won’t last long.
If you’re running low, though, you might have some trouble as she’ll turn very dodgy and resilient once that big Prevail gets going. If anything, make sure you spread out your guys as you can to avoid free chain attacks.

As we all start closing in, on the next turn…

: Yuu!
: Seems he really is focusing on just GreAT now.
: We’re not the same as before… We will beat that machine this time…!
: You’re losing your cool, Yuu. We can’t stand up to GreAT by ourselves – you know that.
: As your tactical advisor, it is my recommendation that we cooperate with LOTUS.
: … We don’t need their help. The two of us and the Straybird can pull through this…! Come on…!
: … Roger…!

: That unit and its pilot have already plateaued… We’ve been given permission to destroy it. In that case…

Letting Yuu get destroyed is a game over, mind. He has a decent amount of HP but will jump straight into the fray, so, if you tarry, evasion decay will start building up and he might find himself in trouble.

I’ll pop a Confuse cast just to eliminate the chance of the RNG getting sassy while I clear up the mooks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5_FiUEEqac
Let’s get this out of the way right now and showcase Hilda’s ultimate technique: lining up!

Oh, and I just remembered that the Akatsuki’s swapped to its Shiranui Frame. Contrary to the Oowashi, this is very much a ranged attack form – specifically, for use in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhLBWgbATBM
Lacus’ strongest attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvrCs5gMXGU
And since we’re at it, Kouichi found his little Strike Valley to help showcase his new trick. It’s pretty dang powerful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cXSrr93RT8
Not as powerful as this, though! By the by, I did not use valor and Kouji’s yet to receive his Infights. :supaburn:

: The unit has been perfectly fine-tuned. As for my own motions… no abnormalities detected.
: Come. My trial run demands your participation…!

Once you damage HL-1, the plot kicks in.

: We’ve confirmed damage on the enemy unit. This could be our chance.
: Yeah. We’ll end this right now…!

*Yuu charges after HL-1*

: Hm, I see you’ve ever-so-slightly improved your skill and performance. That said…

: What…?!
: The Imperial Valley was built based on combat data from all of you, and designed to exceed your parameters in all aspects.
: In other words, even if you’ve managed to somewhat rise above the projected standard, it is still not enough to challenge me.
: Gch… I can’t go down here! I have to save my grandfather…!
: Hrk… We really cannot do this on our own…!
: It is the end of the road for you. Ultimately, you just couldn’t prove yourself to be a new “potential”.

: Stop right there…!

: Kch…!
: Stay out of this, Ichi—
: You huge idiot!
: …!
: Why do you always gotta be so stubborn?! Just shut up and listen for a second!
: When you’re not strong enough to handle something, just go and ask others for help! And, in turn, when they’re having a hard time, you help them back!
: Even if people are weak by themselves, they get as strong as they need to be by helping each other!
: Ichitaka…
: Yuu… I’m sure you’ve realized the limits of your strength.
: “They get as strong as they need to be by helping each other…”
: We fought by ourselves, while you fought relying on the bonds between you and your teammates… Is that what differentiates us? (Well, when fighting him means going up against Mazinkaiser, Gaiking the Great, Jeegs, etc., yes.)

*Alert!*

: …! Watch out! Energy spike on the enemy!
: Ah, crap…!

: Bro… you saved me…?

*The Straybird turns friendly!*

: I was weak… in both mind and body.
: So I’ll try things your way – this strength that comes from fighting together with others…!
: Yuu…!
: Come on, Ichitaka!
: Yeah! We’ll give her an eyeful of what we can do!

Straybird (Yuunagi Grife, HL-0 Haruno)
Pilot Skills:
Sword Cut
Shoot Down
Counter
Predict
Prevail L6
Support Attack L2
Support Defense L1
Attack Combo L2
Spirit Commands – Yuu:
Focus
Sense
Mercy
Drive
Soul
Spirit Commands – Yuu:
Accelerate
Scan
Snipe
Trust
Confuse
Squad Bonus:Mobility +5, Accuracy +5, A in Air

Now that’s a proper Skill list. Yuu’s got a lot of good stuff going for him and, his past humiliation at our hands notwithstanding, he’s actually a really drat good pilot. His stats are huge, especially Range and Evasion, and Predict plus his Imaginary Road ability makes the Straybird a really hard target to hit.
Hit & Away would be nice for him as only his two weakest moves are post-movement and the Rushbird outright hits harder, but the Straybird is still a very fine unit. Having Haruno’s spirit set and the Air terrain bonus at least makes him a very worthwhile squaddie to deploy, though you can easily have him lead something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHa0FCEt4NI
Before we stomp HL-1 into mush, did you know Kira’s moveset straight-up changes when you’re up in space? His DRAGOON-based weapons don’t even show up if you’re not, so let’s make use of them now.
And of course they gave him the not-Newtype flash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAvMtv33ZF8
Finally, the combo attack between the Nagahamas that I said I forgot to show off last mission!

: You will not amount to new “potential” – that has already been proven. Your continuous opposition is a waste of time.
: I’ll admit that my heart was weak.
: But I’ve watched Ichitaka grow before my very eyes. And now…!

Haruno: “She’s a combat AI with the same functionalities as me…”
Yuu: “Stay calm. Our skill and experience far exceed hers… We’ll have her down in 40 seconds!”

: You might be another sister model of Alice, but that don’t mean I’m cutting you any slack! Hand over the professor right now!
: I cannot accept that request. The professor’s brain still has much use for us… It is a valuable apparatus with which new “potential” may be produced.
: “Apparatus”…! The professor isn’t a thing, and we’ll be rescuing him from your clutches no matter what it takes!

: Why…? According to our data, I should’ve been superior to them in all accounts…
: Do they, perhaps, hold something that our data couldn’t quantify…?

: All enemy forces destroyed and no other signals incoming!
: But that command unit sure was strong… Looks like they weren’t pulling our legs when they said it was made based on our data.
: Still, don’t you think this was a bit weird? They fought us fair and square today, unlike when they jumped us out in space…
: Maybe this was some sort of experiment. Those guys upgrade their unit and pilot with unbelievable speed, after all…
: In regards to the pilot, judging by what we saw today, this was likely a test run for that android.
: Do they mean to deliver her to Central, I wonder…
: They can upgrade as much as they want, we still ain’t losing this… Right, Yuu?

Trowa was too far away to attack anything, but he did have a line:

: My Logos infiltration mission is finally over. Now I am once again Trowa Barton of the Preventers.

: You’re leaving, Yuu?! But the battle just ended!
: I’ve caused you and your teammates too much trouble… I don’t deserve to fight at your side after all that.
: … Yuu, that stuff I said about helping each other? You were the one who taught me that ages ago, remember?
: I did…?
: I’d just lost my parents, so I was really down back then. You probably didn’t think what you said was anything special – just random stuff to cheer me up…
: But I only survived ‘til now thanks to those words and the help of my friends.
: Ichitaka…
: Lend us a hand, please, bro… Not for my sake, but for the professor and the whole world’s…!

By the bridge, Sayaka’s very relieved that Djibril’s finally gone. Trowa apologizes for all the times he had to fight us, and he properly introduces himself to everyone. Ichitaka grumbles that Une could’ve told us he was an agent and they would’ve held back against him…
Of course, that couldn’t happen – it’d mean risking exposing his actual identity to Logos. Duo remembers the old “to fool your enemies, you must fool your friends” thing, but he at least knows that Trowa’s a certified tough-nut-to-crack.
Same goes for Heero, Wufei sniffs, and Shinn finally get to meet the guy in the flesh. Heero thanks him for the assist at Heaven’s Base and will be accompanying us as a way to pay back that debt.

Relena herself has no qualms with this, telling Heero to carry on with his own battle. She, meanwhile, will be waiting for him back on Earth. “Your Gundam is the stone upon which absolute peace will be made real… so use it to bring hope to everyone’s hearts.”
Iczer-3 asks if she wouldn’t feel safer staying close by, where we could protect her? No, her eyes are now fixated on the future of Earth and that easily lets her stand strong, no matter how frightful the situation. As she leaves, Daiya’s really impressed with her strong aura.

: Relena’s already left, huh?
: Yes, she set off for Earth not long ago.
: The Katou Organization selected several of its top fighters to escort her, so there shouldn’t be any problems.
: You’ve befriended even the Katou Organization…? So this is the kind of group you’ve both been a part of…
: Heh, yeah, I really lucked out here having folks like Kouichi and Yamashita and…
: Aah, I better stop reminiscing or we’ll be here all day – the point is a ton of people here helped me out. I might still be a rookie here, but I think it’s a really good team.
: Hey there, Ichitaka’s bro! What’re you doing here in this corner?
: We got a briefing coming up real soon, so you two need to get going! They’ll be mad if you’re late!
: But Haruno and I… time and again we got in your way, never thinking of anything but our own agenda…
: All water under the bridge, guy.
: Huh…?
: You want to protect this world, so that’s all that matters.
: You can’t get too hung up on the little things, or you’ll end up a total wimp – like Shinji here.
: Why’re you bringing me into this?!
: Shush, you. You need to learn how to shrug things off, Stupid Shinji!
: While some of us can’t really say jack on this subject, the tomboy’s still got a point. Worrying too much’ll get you bald, ya know.
: They’re all very kind people, too.
: There’s nothing to worry about, Yuu. Just indulge in their good will, I say.
: Sorry… and thank you…

Back to our leaders, while Cagalli points that we can’t be sure another Logos won’t crop up eventually, our victory today at least closes the book on humanity’s infighting for now. It’ll be up to voices of reconciliation like Relena and Durandal to lead the Earth Sphere from here on out.
Still, as Reiji remembers, there are still many other threats to the world out there – and we can officially add GreAT to the pile. They’ve been acting more and more overtly recently, Athrun notes.
Katou fears, from the data he received from the Hub Fountain, that it won’t be long before the Dimension Peeler goes active. In other words, the day the other side invades our world isn’t too far off. That’s likely the reason behind GreAT’s increased activity, Ozma figures, which is why Lacus and the others have decided that they can no longer stick to the shadows while pursuing them.

Now, Katou tells Misato that he’ll be taking off with the Shangri-La for a bit: he’ll stand guard over the dimensional passageway and if the space-time distortion starts acting up, he’ll be in position to take immediate action. Of course, he’ll leave Sawatari and Yulianne here to keep on helping us.
Misato agrees and asks that he let us know if anything happens. As he leaves, F.S. also relates that we’ve yet to ping where Moon WILL’s hiding out… he’s at the moon, obviously, but we can’t tell where. WILL often spoke with him in the past, but the guy has long since cut ties, so he can’t help us there. All in all, Hiroshi’s very annoyed that we can’t do anything despite knowing that he’s camping out at the moon.
And, to top things off, Kenichi says that we’ve yet to locate the Frontier Fleet or the Vajra Homeworld. So what are we supposed to do now?

Emi might have something, receiving a worldwide announcement that Durandal’s making right now!
“Not long ago, we have successfully brought an end to Lord Djibril, leader of Logos. However, that does not mean peace has returned to this world just yet. The Vajra still roam the universe, threatening the lives of every man, woman and child day in and day out. Moreover, unknown to us, other beings that’d threaten us all are lying in wait, biding their time.”
Domyoji doesn’t see what the guy’s getting at, so Durandal carries on: “There is only one way for humanity to endure what’s ahead: to evolve our society to a higher level! I now proclaim the start of the Destiny Plan, the final bulwark in defense of mankind’s future…!”

Welp, I guess someone’s decided to stop being reasonable. We’ll see what his Destiny Plan entails next still (no myriad Scirocco clones manning the SDF-1, though), but before we wrap this up…

OUT!

All is right in the world.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5_FiUEEqac
Let’s get this out of the way right now and showcase Hilda’s ultimate technique: lining up!

:sigh:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man it really took a long time to get all the Wing guys, huh? I guess it was a pretty unique way of utilising the show though.

Also, L's og villains still seem pretty anemic but i'm never not going to be happy about fighting an evil president. It's a good villain archetype.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, L's og villains still seem pretty anemic but i'm never not going to be happy about fighting an evil president. It's a good villain archetype.

It was brought up in one of the other SRW threads, but this seems like these guys would gel really well with the Beowulves that got teased in Original Generation 2.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Welp, so much for our dreams of Gundam WEED. Now Rey's probably gonna go turncoat just like Z, since there hasn't been any Rey-centric secret. At least we got another garbo squaddie to make up for the loss of the best mook-sweeper in the game.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

I've always loved that third panel. It's funny, but it's also true.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Welp, I guess someone’s decided to stop being reasonable. We’ll see what his Destiny Plan entails next still (no myriad Scirocco clones manning the SDF-1, though),
Quick explanation here in case people are confused by this line: THIS is what the Destiny Plan gets turned into in Scramble Commander 2, aka SEED Destiny's debut in the SRW franchise. On the flip side, SC2 plays Destiny's plot fairly straight and to the letter, with the exception of Shinn and Luna joining the new incarnation of the Preventers at the end of the game. Who are led by Wufei, of all people.

Anyhew, a few notes about this mission. If you do recruit Stella, she comes with Confuse, making her very useful as a pilot to have on hand. She also is simply added to the pilot roster (meaning if you want to use her, you have to search around for Stella), and not automatically placed inside Gaia Gundam like you'd think she'd be. Lastly, Mars and Hebert are only available if Hilda is piloting the DOM Trooper, otherwise the Knock-Off Jet Stream Attack is not available to other SEED Destiny pilots.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Oh and because I just knew that SEED couldn't resist turning DOM into an acronym, I went and looked it up.

It stands for Dauntless Obliterator Magnificent.

Really.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
This stage has the one piece of 'I didn't expect them to put in the effort' that always stuck with me. When Hero lines up on the base to do his iconic 'shooting the fortress'-scene, I expected the usual. You know, have his icon move across the map, do an explosion or two. Maybe shake the screen if we're feeling generous. But nope, they went and had the Wing Zero do the full animation of it actually shooting a sprite of the base. Now to be fair, its a lot easier to sprite up a static building than it is to do a moving unit like everything else, but still. I did not expect them to do it.

Now if Djibril wasn't such a nasty person, I might almost feel sorry for him. Almost. Just look at him. He tries so hard to be the evil mastermind and even has a princess to do the hostage-thing with, but then said hostage has the gal to bounce his death-threats right back at him! Ok, I don't feel sorry at all. That was just hilarious.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

:sigh: I forgot all about the Black Tri-Star knockoffs. Really, they exemplify some of the worst parts of SEED and SEED Destiny (and before you bring up other series doing it, these two do it the worst): Just casually taking things from Gundam and altering it juuuust enough that they could claim it's an "homage" or something rather than just being lazy. Also, acronyms. They're also flat characters, which is more of an issue here than with the Tri-Stars who lasted all of 2 episodes (except for one of them, who only lasted one), mainly because flatness is the name of the game with SEED. Seriously, all they have is being discount (and I'm talking 90% off here!) Black Tri-Stars and being stupidly devoted to Lacus (and that's not me hating Lacus, though I do, it's just blind "For Lacus-sama's sake!" devotion). What was even the point other than going "Look, look! We have DOMs, and Black Tri-Stars! See all this cool stuff we stole-I mean, homaged to Gundam!"?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
00's main baddie was voiced by Toru Furuya, and it wasn't as hackneyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

maninthesuit posted:

This stage has the one piece of 'I didn't expect them to put in the effort' that always stuck with me. When Hero lines up on the base to do his iconic 'shooting the fortress'-scene, I expected the usual. You know, have his icon move across the map, do an explosion or two. Maybe shake the screen if we're feeling generous. But nope, they went and had the Wing Zero do the full animation of it actually shooting a sprite of the base. Now to be fair, its a lot easier to sprite up a static building than it is to do a moving unit like everything else, but still. I did not expect them to do it.

For being one of the 'cheap' titles that are usually criticized for having few assets, L puts a lot of effort into tiny "blink or miss" details like that. It is one of the things that makes me fond of the game.

• Locked thread